As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ask Tube

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Then we can have a Minority Report button for when we think someone is going to commit future crime.

• SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    The one time where I've reported someone, I couldn't point to a post or three and say "they are breaking rule X", but they were generally making the thread an unpleasant place. I was really apologetic in my report, but explained the situation, and the mods took care of it. They definitely are there to make the place conducive to good discussion.

The biggest takeaway I have from all the discussion about reporting is when the mods say that multiple people reporting the same post doesn't clog things up. I will be more active about reporting obviously bad posts instead of thinking "surely someone else has done that."

E: I just remembered, I didn't even actually hit the report button, I just PMed a mod about it. I'll use report next time!

Syphyre on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I think the thing is

I don't like reporting posts

I don't want to report anyone, because I'd rather people were just pleasant to each other

Reporting posts kind of always suggested to me that someone needed a telling off and that felt, like, people weren't being nice to each other and I don't want to have that view of the forums? I guess?

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    End wrote: »
    from my perspective it doesn't really matter what you call it. it gets a mod's eyes on it and one possible outcome is an infraction

and I sort of feel like if I want to interject my feelings on what a mod should do about it, the reason field is already sufficient

really wish the the infraction banner on posts still showed up though, but that's been talked about multiple times in this thread, and how we'd all like that back, so I guess there's nothing more to say about that

I've already had a meeting with Vanilla about it. I'm going to keep bugging the relevant people.

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Solar wrote: »
    I think the thing is

I don't want to report anyone, because I'd rather people were just pleasant to each other

Reporting posts kind of always suggested to me that someone needed a telling off and that felt, like, people weren't being nice to each other and I don't want to have that view of the forums? I guess?

Yeah

Similarly, it is hard to get over the feeling that I'm somehow being a jerk for using the button to begin with. That might be a problem specific to me, though.

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Don't view it as a "get person in trouble" button

When I report I usually put like "I think this rule is being broken, thanks for taking a look"

Its just there to get eyes on something that's all

If they don't deserve an infraction they wont get one

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    Anyone have any shit they need to get off their chest at the last minute? Real, actual stuff that isn't what my favourite colour frog is or whatever.

• Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    Is there anyone you wished you didn't have to ban?

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    I think the thing is

Yeah

Similarly, it is hard to get over the feeling that I'm somehow being a jerk for using the button to begin with. That might be a problem specific to me, though.

Not me. If someone is breaking rules or being a toxic shitlord in a thread then I either want their behavior corrected or for them to stop posting in that thread. Reporting isn't tattling as much as it is doing the right thing to try and make this place better.

That being said I know I'm a victim of the bystander effect and I don't report things as often as I ought to and I'm going to work on that in the future.

JtgVX0H.png
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    What if we change the flag button to a 'What in the hot hell is this merry clown shit?' button

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    When are you guys gonna do something like this again

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
    Is there anyone you wished you didn't have to ban?

Oh sure, yeah. People who start out good and turn into Clarksons, good community members who get disenchanted and decide to go for suicide by mod. It's more common to not want to ban someone than to be super satisfied at getting to. Banning is a failure state.

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Paladin wrote: »
    When are you guys gonna do something like this again
    When you least expect it.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Knob wrote: »
    What if we change the flag button to a 'What in the hot hell is this merry clown shit?' button
    I would complain on how it looks on mobile. :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Anyone have any shit they need to get off their chest at the last minute? Real, actual stuff that isn't what my favourite colour frog is or whatever.

Do you ever think that the tone you take when dealing with people who are being hostile makes things worse or have you generally found it to be the best way to deal with things of that nature

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • FuzzytadpoleFuzzytadpole Registered User regular
    Will this kind of thread ever come up again?

Do you ever think that the tone you take when dealing with people who are being hostile makes things worse or have you generally found it to be the best way to deal with things of that nature

I make tonal mistakes. Generally when it's with people who are being hostile, I don't give a shit. They shouldn't be hostile. I'm not going to put on a happy community manager face and hope they agree to start being nice.

The time I regret my tone is when I accidentally alienate people that I don't intend to, or cause a situation to escalate that otherwise wouldn't have done.

Will this kind of thread ever come up again?

For sure. Could even be soon. It's a lot of work though, and we need time for more questions to generate.

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular

I would like to see Asokolov unbanned and allowed a name change.

She was always very polite and brought a lot of unique perspectives to D&D, in spite of a lot of vitriol that she often received from people who disagreed with her viewpoints.

It seems like she was banned in part over a misunderstanding.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
    Just getting that off my chest.

• ameybesameybes vvvv MERBERNRegistered User regular
    Ask Tube 2: Ecclectic Q-galoo

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    This seems to manifest in two different but related ways: we had people talk about not wanting to narc or tattle (because it's the Get Someone in Trouble Button, and I don't want to get that person in trouble - I like them!) *snip*

This feels somehow like bartending to me at a place with bouncers: it's not my job to control people's behavior, even if I do like them and they are one of my regular patrons.

It kinda fits with my previous life experiences, so thank you for this.

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Tube, is there anything you wanted to cover that got skimmed over or not asked?

kedinik wrote: »

She was always very polite and brought a lot of unique perspectives to D&D, in spite of a lot of vitriol that she often received from people who disagreed with her viewpoints.

I can't go into detail, but there is no way she's being unbanned. It wasn't a misunderstanding, it was a ton of really awful shit that I'm not really at liberty to talk about.

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    As we get older in forum age, the tone has changed a lot. I love that. I think all the mods have done a fantastic job making a community that is all in all pretty cohesive and incredibly more inclusive than ten years ago.

How do you deal with constant walking of that line? And more importantly, I think we don't report it because it is never over the line behavior, but like, if you added it up for a long time, it would be completely over the line.
    Do we report stuff like that? Do we just ignore it?

kedinik wrote: »

I can't go into detail, but there is no way she's being unbanned. It wasn't a misunderstanding, it was a ton of really awful shit that I'm not really at liberty to talk about.

Fair enough. Thanks for the response.

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    The "Unban X user!!!!" sigs are always funny to me

its pretty easy to not get banned

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    How do you deal with constant walking of that line? And more importantly, I think we don't report it because it is never over the line behavior, but like, if you added it up for a long time, it would be completely over the line. Do we report stuff like that? Do we just ignore it?

Err on the side of reporting. We can always PM you if you're reporting a bunch of unnecessary stuff.

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I visit threads I'm interested in and threads that sounds like they could end up with problems. I tend to have at least a passing interest in most threads that come through though.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
    The "Unban X user!!!!" sigs are always funny to me

its pretty easy to not get banned

Also honestly, like we're going to listen. "Oh shit that one guy changed his sig, I better get on this".
    Kamiro wrote: »
    Do mods for each specific forum have assigned threads that they wouldn't normally be interested in but browse anyway to keep up with things? Or do they pretty much just visit threads they don't care about when things get reported?

Probably differs for various mods. I just read whatever looks interesting.

• Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Also is the forum still controlled by the papacy?
    Asking for a friend.

• Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Unban sigs are just a sign of solidarity, really.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Also is the forum still controlled by the papacy?
    Asking for a friend.

Pretty sure he turned it over to the freemasons, but you didn't hear it from me.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    I will admit, I'm sometimes loathe to press the report button because even if there are geese about, I enjoy the not-geese talk and don't want the whole thread locked because of their behavior.

I am paranoid about requesting mod attention in the webcomics thread for this reason.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    I miss Borfase

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    we're already super aware of the webcomics forum

• MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    When making decisions on who is a mod, are any considerations given for representation of certain under - represented groups of people, in order to provide a more diverse leadership group?

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    Thread, Geebs.

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Oh snap I got the anti pope guy!

edit: and he must have been promptly banned, now it says I have a message in the inbox, but said message is MIA

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Why again was borfase considered a celebrity for putting a soda can in his mouth

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
This discussion has been closed.