As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[steam]: Her Story, told by Lethargic Corgis dreaming of their Final Fantasy.

• Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    übergeek wrote: »
    Idx86 wrote: »
    Idx86 wrote: »
    Saw lots of new accounts pop up during the Steam sale. I'm guessing many of your greenhorns don't have these classics:

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

If you don't find your account with any of these games, consider entering!

A friendly reminder for these giveaways.

I'm bumping this, because no one has entered for that Company of Heroes pack. Surely there's one other person who doesn't have it. Well you have 3 days before you force me to enter at the last minute. Also enter the other ones. Idx is trying to bring class to you all, allow him to be classy. =)

Bumping it again. You guys are going to make me enter the Company Heroes giveaway tonight before I go to bed. There's other stuff in this list that also has no entries. Surely someone doesn't have these great games?

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    The best part of Brutal Legend is the voice cast. Somebody threw Jack Black, Jennifer Hale, Tim Curry, Ozzy Osbourne, Lemmy and Rob Halford into a single game and it was fucking awesome.

And Ronnie James Dio was supposed to be in it too. I believe they even recorded some sessions with him. Alas, they got Tim Curry to play his character instead, so it's all (mostly) good.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Game complete: Stranded!

It's a lovely little adventure game. Beautiful, pixely landscapes and environments. There's almost no interactivity in the game. No inventory, no switches, no pressure pads, etc. With one exception, what little that needs 'doing' in the game is accomplished by walking. I wrapped it up at 55 minutes, so for folks looking to knock stuff off their backlog it's a very doable line item.

None of its cards have dropped yet (currently idled to 86 min.) So maybe the dev changed the drop rate to the post 2 hour mark for the new refund policy. This is a game I could definitely see taking it on the chin with the new policy. Not only is the game completable in a hour, but it does not have a lot of traditional 'game' elements. I can see folks who didn't know what they were getting into being upset at the level of interactivity and 'rage refunding.' (Even a cursory glance at the Steam forum comments suggests there's quite a bit of this going on.)

Thanks again to @Drake for the gift of Stranded a while back. <3

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    For people that played TWoM, how well would it translate to a touchscreen?

It'll work great on a touchscreen. It feels like it was designed for one.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    f3rret wrote: »
    For people that played TWoM, how well would it translate to a touchscreen?

It'll work great on a touchscreen. It feels like it was designed for one.

Thanks @f3rret :) I was hoping you would speak up since you have like 10x the amount of time of everyone else on my friends list

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    I put Batman to bed at 100% (story and sidequest wise, not achievements) at around 2AM last night. I've been anticipating that so long I have no idea what to even play next. Not that I am at all lacking in options.

Toukiden

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »
    I put Batman to bed at 100% (story and sidequest wise, not achievements) at around 2AM last night. I've been anticipating that so long I have no idea what to even play next. Not that I am at all lacking in options.

Toukiden

Tempt not a desperate man.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    @Halfazedninja needs to stop talking and/or listening to his-self.
    dgypc12162xj.jpg
    Thank you for RONIN!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    So here's a couple things.

signature.png

signature.png

Ends Saturday.

^ Still a thing. Room for more entries.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited July 2015

Toukiden

I'm getting that tonight. Today's shaping up to be shit-tastic and FFXIV isn't visceral enough for me to slake my current bloodthirst. 17 GB download apparently so might not be ready tonight but I'm getting it and I'm going to carve pieces off demons until they die. Was waffling because of the price but fuck it.

Madican on
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

Toukiden

I'm getting that tonight. Today's shaping up to be shit-tastic and FFXIV isn't visceral enough for me to slake my current bloodthirst. 17 GB download apparently so might not be ready tonight but I'm getting it and I'm going to carve pieces off demons until they die. Was waffling because of the price but fuck it.

This sounds like you need Hatred...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    So.. Me.. Madican.. Pixie.. thats 3 out of 4.. we'd only need one more for Oni Shenanigans.. @Vaman ...

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

Toukiden

No, fuck no. I don't want meaningless violence against innocents, I want to kill monsters. That's the mood I'm in right now.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    So.. Me.. Madican.. Pixie.. thats 3 out of 4.. we'd only need one more for Oni Shenanigans.. @Vaman ...

You mean, @Vamen? ;)

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Kung Pow?

oakke wrote: »
    Edit: alright, my biggest disappointment was finding out they hid an RTS in there halfway through. Still...

But... That was the best part of the game!

It would have to be with Jack Black playing himself.

Eddie Riggs was actually the most subdued I'd ever heard Jack Black. He was hardly the issue

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options

You mean, @Vamen? ;)

Evil people!

I had it in my cart earlier then recalled I'll be home a few more hours and won't be back til Sunday.

• Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    Dammit, RimWorld on Steam pushed back to 2016.
    http://ludeon.com/blog/2015/07/steam-release-moved-to-2016/

Ah well, I'm sure I'll find something in my massive backlog to play until then.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Kung Pow?

Edit: alright, my biggest disappointment was finding out they hid an RTS in there halfway through. Still...

Eddie Riggs was actually the most subdued I'd ever heard Jack Black. He was hardly the issue

After I saw The Big Year and could finally see he could play a different character, it wouldn't surprise me to hear this. It's just that after years of typecasting, when his name popped up along with a character description, I tuned out immediately. And even if that wasn't an issue, that it was an RTS would've been the cutoff.

By all rights, people who liked it have good things to say about it. And the marketing didn't do it any favours for anybody else.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Iolo wrote: »

It's a lovely little adventure game. Beautiful, pixely landscapes and environments. There's almost no interactivity in the game. No inventory, no switches, no pressure pads, etc. With one exception, what little that needs 'doing' in the game is accomplished by walking. I wrapped it up at 55 minutes, so for folks looking to knock stuff off their backlog it's a very doable line item.

None of its cards have dropped yet (currently idled to 86 min.) So maybe the dev changed the drop rate to the post 2 hour mark for the new refund policy. This is a game I could definitely see taking it on the chin with the new policy. Not only is the game completable in a hour, but it does not have a lot of traditional 'game' elements. I can see folks who didn't know what they were getting into being upset at the level of interactivity and 'rage refunding.' (Even a cursory glance at the Steam forum comments suggests there's quite a bit of this going on.)

Thanks again to Drake for the gift of Stranded a while back. <3

I'm really happy you enjoyed it! I love it to bits. I love the music and the sound design. The art and story is great too, really well done. And I think the concise gameplay mechanics serve the story and game well. It's very short but then I think most people agree that the point of playing games isn't to just kill time.

I can't say I'm surprised at the reaction of the average gamer. Much of the games design was inspired by Proteus and its mechanics. Proteus is the poster-child for the "walking simulator" argument. Either you get this stuff or you don't, that's fine. I just fear that Steam's new refund policy (which otherwise is completely reasonable) is treating these kinds of games as worthless and worse, a silent acknowledgment of the scam accusation.

I'm really looking forward to Peter Moorhead's next game, Murder, and I will buy it where ever he sells it. I just don't want to see this kind of thing vanish from Steam's store front. I think games like Proteus, Gone Home and Stranded are where the rubber hits the road as far moving narrative in gaming forward is concerned.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Drake wrote: »

Thanks again to @Drake for the gift of Stranded a while back. <3

I'm really happy you enjoyed it! I love it to bits. I love the music and the sound design. The art and story is great too, really well done. And I think the concise gameplay mechanics serve the story and game well. It's very short but then I think most people agree that the point of playing games isn't to just kill time.

I can't say I'm surprised at the reaction of the average gamer. Much of the games design was inspired by Proteus and its mechanics. Proteus is the poster-child for the "walking simulator" argument. Either you get this stuff or you don't, that's fine. I just fear that Steam's new refund policy (which otherwise is completely reasonable) is treating these kinds of games as worthless and worse, a silent acknowledgment of the scam accusation.

I'm really looking forward to Peter Moorhead's next game, Murder, and I will buy it where ever he sells it. I just don't want to see this kind of thing vanish from Steam's store front. I think games like Proteus, Gone Home and Stranded are where the rubber hits the road as far moving narrative in gaming forward is concerned.

I've never heard of any of those games, but they all look super charming. Murder I might have to pick up as soon as it's out, it looks excellent. And I know a lot of people are over that sort of visual style, but man do I dig how Stranded and Murder look.

EDIT - I should start proof reading my posts. Typo Central up in here.

vamen on
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Kung Pow?

After I saw The Big Year and could finally see he could play a different character, it wouldn't surprise me to hear this. It's just that after years of typecasting, when his name popped up along with a character description, I tuned out immediately. And even if that wasn't an issue, that it was an RTS would've been the cutoff.

By all rights, people who liked it have good things to say about it. And the marketing didn't do it any favours for anybody else.

EA straight-up told them they couldn't say RTS in the run up to release.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

And we can blame the marketing department for hiding the RTS stuff. Seriously, that was pretty dumb. The demo had no indication of the RTS stuff. It was just the amazing introduction of the game with its serviceable third person action gameplay.

I do remember there was a video explaining the RTS stuff shortly before the game came out, but most people were exposed to the demo and probably expected a pure third person action game.

It also had tons of magazine coverage where they gushed about the characters and the art and so on and so forth, without a hint as to how the game would play. It actually trained me to look a lot more critically at HOW a game is being presented in the pre-release hype, which was pretty useful.

I did buy it even after finding out that it wasn't what I had expected, but I waited a month for the inevitable Schafer discount.

• Options
    Anyone need a copy of the Kane and Lynch collection, Risk of Rain, or Supreme Commander 2?
    I'd use the code thingie but I don't know how it works =p.

Holla if you care to give any of these a loving home.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Got food poisoning before work, after tossing my cookies and cleaning the smell from my mustache, I ran into a high school crush I had.

She said I looked handsome. This really made my day, cookie and stomach issues aside.
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png
    signature.png

This contest was fueled by despair and avian betrayal, countered with the thin ray of kindness

Ends in 45 minutes

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular

I like Proteus, but I do wish it had the option for a faster walk speed. Nothing like a standard FPS speed, but something that doesn't feel like I'm trekking with an additional 100 lbs on my back and it's already been five miles.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    [codes]

Thanks. I could swear I tried that but clearly I did something wrong ;)

• Options

Toukiden

No, fuck no. I don't want meaningless violence against innocents, I want to kill monsters. That's the mood I'm in right now.

Serious Same 3: BFE?

• Options
    A reminder: I'm giving away two copies of Iron Brigade and it ends in just a few hours!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WbwcNPAe3A

Turn No Man's Land
    Into Real Man's Land
    Hey, how many people here don't own Iron Brigade? It's such a good third person shooter + tower defense hybrid with co-op. They recently removed GFWL from the game and are working on fixing some bugs. Apparently it disconnects a lot in 3-4 player games? That sucks, I hope they fix it soon! Anyway, it's only $2.99 on the Humble Store right now. Also, I'm giving away two copies:
    signature.png

Congrats to @Zavian and @chasm (took me a bit to find out who you are on here. I knew I recognized your avatar!), who were the only people that entered my Iron Brigade giveaway and therefore both get the game! I'll be PMing you both with codes shortly. Enjoy the game!

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    That was actually my biggest disappointment with Brutal Legend. The soundtrack was really kickass, but I don't think it made me discover any new songs or bands that I enjoyed. Now compare that to my THPS years, or even Guitar Hero, where every iteration would have something cool and new to my ears.

I wasn't a huge fan of the RTS portions. I dealt with it when I discovered you could still summon your car in those segments and run over enemy foot soldiers while a swarm of bikers following you.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Iron Brigade is amazing. @Big Classy and I have been playing it, so always good to have more people with it available!

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    Thanks a bunch, @SteevL ! Having the same avatar for roughly a decade comes in handy.

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Any folks playing Ronin managed to get by this part without alerting the civilians?
    b5uNNcU.jpg

If I climb the wall to the left, the guy by the window sees me.
    If I go up the elevator, he turns around and heads that way but I can get out and around him and he won't see me. But if I bust the window out, he radios for help.
    If I right and through the door, obviously I get spotted.

I thought maybe I could send the elevator up and distract him and go around but there doesn't seem to be a way to make it go up without being in it. And there's not enough time to go up then back down then go around.

None of them seem to move or wander on their own in this case so the window guy never turns away for me to get around him, and the guy and girl on the left both keep chatting as well.

EDIT - Ah ha....of course as soon as I ask, I figure it out. Turns out you CAN send an elevator up without being in it, though the game never tells you, and there's no button prompt. Basically it's A to get in an elevator then usually B to go to a different floor. If you press B while outside of the elevator, you'll send it to the next floor. Good thing to know!

vamen on
  • Options
    That was actually my biggest disappointment with Brutal Legend. The soundtrack was really kickass, but I don't think it made me discover any new songs or bands that I enjoyed. Now compare that to my THPS years, or even Guitar Hero, where every iteration would have something cool and new to my ears.

I wasn't a huge fan of the RTS portions. I dealt with it when I discovered you could still summon your car in those segments and run over enemy foot soldiers while a swarm of bikers following you.

The fact that each general could merge with their units made things interesting. The way the drowning dead leader merged with the brides was.....cute, in a horrific yuri force of destruction on our foes.

Kind of like Joker dancing with Basinger at the end of Batman.

I just discovered a video either a fan game or a mod or FNaF that was anime and .........I was searching for death by Snu Snu and the look on the streamer's face.....yep. Human race, yall.

• Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    Hey all. If anyone is interested I'm selling my GTX 760 (the link is the exact model I have). It's about a year old, only selling it because I got my hands on a 780ti dirt cheap from a friend. If anyone is interested shoot me a PM. Selling it for $120.

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    Iron Brigade is amazing. @Big Classy and I have been playing it, so always good to have more people with it available!

Yeah, hopefully they fix its issue with it crashing with 3-4 players. The game is fun enough in single player, but I had a blast playing it with three other people on XBLA.

• Options
    DoctorArch wrote: »

I like Proteus, but I do wish it had the option for a faster walk speed. Nothing like a standard FPS speed, but something that doesn't feel like I'm trekking with an additional 100 lbs on my back and it's already been five miles.

An optional setting for a faster movement speed is something I could get behind. I like the pacing personally, it lends the island a feeling of size. Also the pacing and the musicality of the gameplay are tied together. Moving faster could make that aspect of the game feel off. Proteus is a subtly tuned blend of complex elements.

Faster speeds can make levels feel small and constrained. Doom's levels are pretty big, but if you ask most people the impression they have is that they are small compared to current games. If Call of Duty had strafe running you could likely speedrun those games and get a refund under Steam's current policy. :P

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    My issue with Stranded was that I didn't know it was a "walking simulator" type of game. I figured it was a point and click and do things type of game.

Also I remember it being really slow and obtuse.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    A reminder: I'm giving away two copies of Iron Brigade and it ends in just a few hours!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WbwcNPAe3A

Turn No Man's Land
    Into Real Man's Land
    Hey, how many people here don't own Iron Brigade? It's such a good third person shooter + tower defense hybrid with co-op. They recently removed GFWL from the game and are working on fixing some bugs. Apparently it disconnects a lot in 3-4 player games? That sucks, I hope they fix it soon! Anyway, it's only $2.99 on the Humble Store right now. Also, I'm giving away two copies:
    signature.png

Congrats to @Zavian and @chasm (took me a bit to find out who you are on here. I knew I recognized your avatar!), who were the only people that entered my Iron Brigade giveaway and therefore both get the game! I'll be PMing you both with codes shortly. Enjoy the game!

Thanks! I'll definitely be playing it this weekend ;D

EDIT:

Also, many thanks @RoyceSraphim for Survivor Squad!

ARtKFo6.jpg

yarrr, i do takes pride in me piratey name. i also smells me some gifts a comin' round in anotha o' zavian's weekly giveaways real soon

Zavian on
  • Options
    My issue with Stranded was that I didn't know it was a "walking simulator" type of game. I figured it was a point and click and do things type of game.

Also I remember it being really slow and obtuse.

It says right on the store page that "Stranded is a minimalist adventure game that foregoes dialogue and puzzles to focus on atmosphere, mystery, and exploration." You can't really blame the game for this.

This discussion has been closed.