As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play Final Fantasy 12 Together - Week 12. Bahamut.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    First topic:

John DiMaggio's voice for Migelo: Better or Worse than Wakka?

• Options
    cornellcornell Registered User regular
    cornell wrote: »
    I looked through the thread but didn't see this answered, will this work on the original PS3? I don't remember if it was backwards compatible or not, but this is the one FF game I missed so I'd love to participate, but I know I can't find my PS2.

Depends how old. If its the PS3 Fat there is a good chance that it is backwards.

If its fat and heavy, definitely will play on that one. If not then.. no.

It's fat and heavy. I ordered the game, should have it by Monday so I can catch up.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    A reminder for everyone with the base game who wants to get the Zodiac Spear: there is a chest in Week 1 that you cannot open if you want to get the Spear later in the game.
    SilverWind wrote: »
    Can you remind us of the chests we are not supposed to open so we can get the good weapon?

Week 1
    Lowtown south sprawl, just outside of Old Dalan's place.

There are chests in weeks 2 and 3 that also cannot be opened, and warnings will be put up for those weeks.

Of course, if you're playing the IZJS, they got rid of the whole 'do not open this chest' bit, and so there's never a reason to not open a chest!

I'm also told the treasure in chests is better, so I'm looking forward to it.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    HeartfinderHeartfinder Registered User regular
    As an IZJS player the getting rid of the "don't open these chests" gimmick makes me happy. Now only if I could actually decide my jobs.

Oh, and go ahead and sign me up, @Wyborn.

steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    First topic:

John DiMaggio's voice for Migelo: Better or Worse than Wakka?

Worse, but the range was impressive.

Nathan Drake played someone right? Vassler or whatever? I was floored by that back in the day.

Let's be honest, I'm only doing this playthrough to hear some sweet, sweet Gideon Emery.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Oh my god unchangeable inverted camera

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    I'm in! I think. When my copy of the game gets here. Late next week. -_-

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Hmm, wasn't paying attention and careened on to the end of week 2 without checking the schedule. And that's including several hours of grinding wolves in the desert, so I could buy that first hunter's book thing, whatever the heck it's called. The one that goes up in the bazaar for 18,000 after you defeat the second hunt.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Oh for... opened a Zodiac spear chest. Just an hour's gameplay, but still super annoying. I hate it so much.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Just had the first conversation with Dalan. So we're going up until the start of the break-in this week right? Or stopping here?

• Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Start of the break-in. So the Giza plains stuff is on the schedule for this week.

• Options
    good, I wasn't ready to stop yet!

• Options
    stephen_heartsstephen_hearts Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »

yeah...this is definitely a huge bummer. for awhile, i was constantly checking the config menu hoping the option was there to change it and i was just missing it. but you do get used to it faster than you'd think.

ugh, also, i totally screwed myself over in getting the zodiac spear by opening one of those dumb frickin' chests. like, does anyone have any insight behind why they designed the chest system this way? why does opening one of these random ass chests completely ruin your chances to get one of the better weapons in the game? is it just a quirk of how the system works or was this a conscious design decision?

i mean, usually the best weapons in an RPG like this are kinda rare drops or rewards from beating hard optional bosses. the way some of the loot in this game works seems so weirdly arbitrary.

remember what your ♥ is for
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Honestly if you're not going to be doing the optional multi-hour bosses and don't care about collecting everything in the game then getting the Zodiac spear isn't really that important, so if your main focus is beating the game missing it doesn't do much to stop that train.

• Options
    They did it just to sell strategy guides.

• Options
    JeixJeix Registered User regular
    I actually remember when I bought the game I got the guide with it because it looked cool. I still opened that damn chest because I didn't think I needed a guide for walking around town and not looting chests. When I think of games that made terrible design decisions it is still something I remember even with all the dlc and f2p bullshit these days.

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Vaan is a Time Mage and Penelo a Red Mage, now I'm waiting in the Garamsythe Waterway until next Friday

The plan is all the male characters get to be mages, while the ladies get to be melee (Red Mage is a bit of a stretch, admittedly)

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    rhylith wrote: »

yeah...this is definitely a huge bummer. for awhile, i was constantly checking the config menu hoping the option was there to change it and i was just missing it. but you do get used to it faster than you'd think.

ugh, also, i totally screwed myself over in getting the zodiac spear by opening one of those dumb frickin' chests. like, does anyone have any insight behind why they designed the chest system this way? why does opening one of these random ass chests completely ruin your chances to get one of the better weapons in the game? is it just a quirk of how the system works or was this a conscious design decision?

i mean, usually the best weapons in an RPG like this are kinda rare drops or rewards from beating hard optional bosses. the way some of the loot in this game works seems so weirdly arbitrary.
    Shen wrote: »
    Oh for... opened a Zodiac spear chest. Just an hour's gameplay, but still super annoying. I hate it so much.

Well

This happened way faster than I expected

I'll up the font size on the warning post

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    I knew I shoulda told him to put that warning in blinking text...!!

:P

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    Opty wrote: »
    Honestly if you're not going to be doing the optional multi-hour bosses and don't care about collecting everything in the game then getting the Zodiac spear isn't really that important, so if your main focus is beating the game missing it doesn't do much to stop that train.

Honestly, even if you are going after Omega XII and Yiazmat, the Masamune is like 10x more important and effective than the Zodiac Spear

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    I got Vaan as monk and Penelope as Red Mage. Gonna complete up to the cactaur hunt I think

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Hmm, wasn't paying attention and careened on to the end of week 2 without checking the schedule. And that's including several hours of grinding wolves in the desert, so I could buy that first hunter's book thing, whatever the heck it's called. The one that goes up in the bazaar for 18,000 after you defeat the second hunt.

18000 gil worth of wolves? Are there... any wolves left? I think you might have killed all of the wolves.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Just started it up! Just got to the first savepoint after it gives you control of Vaan. Apparently I remember absolutely nothing about this game's plot! I swear I got right to the end (but didn't beat it) when it first came out. Might as well be brand-new for all I can recall.

Good! It'll give me fresh eyes for the story.

The voice acting so far is much better than X's, although Vaan is a bit annoying.

• Options
    Week 1 is done!

Remembering pretty quickly what I liked about this game back in the day.

I've definitely got license board paralysis already. Not that it matters at this stage, but trying to plan out who is going to play different roles in my team and who gets specific summons and quickenings is gonna drive me crazy for at least the first couple weeks.

I accidentally dropped Penelo off before doing the Cactuar hunt >< Gonna have to come back when I have another party member.

• Options
    So we just got past the opening cutscene and the first conversation between Reks and Basch

Man the opening of this game is dense, but it also kind of illustrates what Square's FMV mastery can do when guided by a storyteller as good as Matsuno. Every shot in the battle at Nalbina Fortress illustrates how overwhelming the Imperial Army is, where they're outfighting Dalmasca's forces on the ground and in the sky - there isn't a single shot of an Imperial soldier going down or dying until Rasler and Basch ride onto the scene. It also introduces the concept of the Paling, which comes up multiple times in both combat and the story, and creates an early sense of the powers of the Empire with regards to infiltration when the sorcerers responsible for the Paling are murdered

And

Man I really like Ashe and Rasler's wedding. They're clearly being wed for political purposes - that they're in love is just something of a happy bonus, and something you don't see in stories as often as you should. Just enough time is given to them to shape the kind of relationship they had, so we have context for why Ashe does the things she does and feels the way she does over the course of the story.

Also man, Basch

When Rasler asks if his father made it out, you might mention that Nabudis has "fallen" in the sense that it's been utterly and catastrophically destroyed by the Ivalice equivalent of a nuclear weapon

But then maybe Basch didn't know; reports out of that region had to be incredibly confused at the time, which does work better for the full extent of the carnage being revealed at a later date

I can follow this much better now than I could at release

And oh man it's still good it's still so good

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    The opening cutscene of the game is so great. How you follow the rising and then falling hopes of a nation. How it's bookended by a prayer (to bless a wedding; to close a funeral). How the opening narrative is revealed to be part of the memoirs of some guy in the future; we know he will make it to tell the tale, but who knows how it will end

Eeeee

signature.png
  • Options
    HeartfinderHeartfinder Registered User regular
    On the Zodiac Spear: There's a respawning chest that can have it in Henne Mines' Phase 2 Dig with the Diamond Armlet equipped but unless you're willing to do RNG manipulation, it's a 1/1000 chance (10% to spawn the chest, another 10% for an item to actually pop out, then another 10% for the ZS) to get it.

Also finally got everything set up and am at the Save Crystal in the prologue. Hopefully I can make it a bit further tonight.

steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Oh huh, I guess you get the vital Gambits way earlier than I remember. [Ally: HP < 50% = Cure], [Foe: Targeting Ally = Attack]. All I need now is Foe: HP > 90% = Steal and I'm done manually inputting commands for most of the main game :P

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    stephen_heartsstephen_hearts Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »

oh for sure. it's mostly a minor annoyance in what is otherwise a really well designed game. but i do kinda care about doing all the side stuff tho. i'm the kind of ~ obsessive weird beard~ that likes doing all the crazy optional bosses and dungeons and getting all the best gear if the game is good (and this game seems super fun).

but yeah the zodiac spear isn't really a big deal to me and it's not my intention to harp on it. i was really more curious about whether or not there was some sort of ulterior design reason they chose to handle it that way. the game kinda has an oddball approach to treasure.

remember what your ♥ is for
  • Options
    "They who choose to wield the Sword are cut of the same Cloth as the Captain"

that's a pretty wry bit of foreshadowing there, game

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    The great part of the kingslayer scene

Week 3 prison spoilers
    After one playthrough of the game, most people can totally spot that 'Basch' doesn't have Basch's voice. It's veeeeery clearly Gabranth

But it's so easily missable the first time through.

And it's all totally Vayne's plan, already setting him up as a brilliant strategist

SilverWind on
    signature.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    By the time the title of the game appears on the screen, so much has happened. A wedding, a war, and a funeral.

Usually, the tone for the title reveal is, "Yay, Final Fantasy!"

Here, the tone is far less celebratory.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I had forgotten how much I loved the design of the war chocobos.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    I had forgotten how much I loved the design of the war chocobos.

And the moogles in the opening wedding scene oh my goodness

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    give me all the moogles

they are mine

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Ivalice fashion is so ridiculous

But it seems to be mostly balanced - when Reks and Basch are running around, the other soldiers with them are wearing leather briefs, pauldrons, helmets, and not much else. It looks like a Chippendale performance of the Ring Cycle

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I'm getting ready to fire this up. I'm excited to see my man Gabranth again.

IMG_2976_zps2u0noo1p.jpg

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I remember really liking the visual design of this game, I hadn't played many FFs before this one I think, but the ridiculous costumes and grand architecture and weird airships and such certainly leave a strong impression.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    It's also pretty clear that--between the release of X and XII--Square had learned a lot about proper lip synching and voice direction.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    It also helps that they really got someone super good to do the translation and script

Even things as small as the Capitalization done by the Translator in the written sections are a Credit to the Localization process

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png