As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Computer Build Thread] - What happens if I stick my screwdriver th- *bzzt*

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Took my computer into the shop today, 45 bucks to figure out what's wrong with it. Any bets? I'm saying processor short from thermal paste.

• FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    when you go into the disk management part of the computer management program it doesn't show at all?

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
    Tube wrote: »
    Took my computer into the shop today, 45 bucks to figure out what's wrong with it. Any bets? I'm saying processor short from thermal paste.

hmm, I'm going to guess motherboard shorting on the case

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    That be kind of obvious; did it LOOK like the paste had run all over the sides? But could be! I'll go with dead HDD, though, just to be basic. We eagerly await the results.

The paste looked fine to me, but it's one of the more likely elements of chaos (what with removing the cooler to see what's up etc). Motherboard short would be one fuck of a bummer.

• PierceNeckPierceNeck Registered User regular
    Foomy wrote: »
    when you go into the disk management part of the computer management program it doesn't show at all?
    I see it in disk management now after opening up the BIOS and making sure it showed up there.

What I see is:
    Disk 0: 119.24GB - Windows (C:)
    Disk 1: 931.39GB Unallocated
    CD-ROM 0: DVD (D:)

So I'm assuming Disk 0 is my SSD and is setup as my C drive.

And that Disk 1 is the HDD, and hasn't been setup yet? Which I don't know how to do.

steam_sig.png
    Right click it, format, follow the directions. All default is fine.

Sorry I don't know anything!

When I right click it get the option to convert to dynamic disk or convert to MBR disk.

steam_sig.png
    edited July 2015
    PierceNeck wrote: »

When I right click it get the option to convert to dynamic disk or convert to MBR disk.

right click the empty area to the right of the grey box where the disk name is, it'll either be white or like checkered. then format and assign it a drive letter.

Foomy on
    Could you take a screenshot? Should have 'new simple volume' if not Format, more than just those 2 options. I assume the disk isn't allocated, but is it?

I was right clicking the wrong spot apparently. It's all figured out now, thanks!

steam_sig.png
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Could you take a screenshot? Should have 'new simple volume' if not Format, more than just those 2 options. I assume the disk isn't allocated, but is it?

you get different set of options if you right click the name of the disk area then you do if you right click where the volumes are is whats going on.

Computer management is just a little odd in it's ui choices, but it works so no one working on windows ever wants to change it much.

• EupfhoriaEupfhoria Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    just pulled the trigger on a couple of expensive online shopping carts. Here's hoping it all goes well when everything gets here next week

Here is the build I went with. I changed a couple things from earlier, such as the power supply, case, a 500gb Samsung SSD, and Windows 8 instead of 7

Eupfhoria on
    steam_sig.png
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

I'll put 10 bucks on "goblins, probably" and a side bet on "I dunno man, it worked fine for us."

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    Last time I took a build into the shop they took the case off, turned it on. Worked fine. Charged me ninety pounds.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Feelin' pretty good about my odds here, tube.

... Did you try taking the case off before bringing it in this time? :P

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Did you plug it in to the wall outlet?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I'll bet on dead mobo

Oghulk on
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    PierceNeck wrote: »

Don't feel bad. Exact same thing happened to me.

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
    Alright, who had dead motherboard?

Long story short: motherboard died at some point. PSU is insufficient for this card.

So I need a new motherboard and PSU. He offered me a 60 dollar motherboard with only two ram slots, which I'm not thrilled about. I don't know much about motherboards though. I know this one (MSI Z77A-GD65, Intel Z77, S 1155) was last gen but don't know what that means for my build.

For those playing along at home, the ram and processor are all that exist of platos original ship.

Oh and the cooler wasn't screwed in tight enough (probably from my last attempt) and would be better at the front according to this guy. So that's nice. Apparently some screws were in the wrong place and there were mistakes in the build, but nothing that would have shorted the motherboard.

• HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    Two RAM slots isn't that big a deal. You only really need 8GB for gaming, and you're fine just going with the cheapest 2x4GB kit of 1600mhz from any trusted brand.

That it's Z77 shouldn't be an issue -- but don't quote me on that. The difference between the chipsets is, afaik, really just down to icing-on-the-cake featuresets and OCing potential (ie. higher-capacity VRMs, etc). If those aren't things that matter to you, a $60 motherboard should suffice.

(Though actually, come to think of it... I'd kinda wanna pay more than $60 for my motherboard, especially if you have a literally $650 video-card in it. Personally, I might shop around for an ASUS mobo in the ~$100 range on NewEgg.)

Did you say Socket 1155? So is your CPU also 1155?

Yep. Intel Core i5 3570K,1155.

Yep. Intel Core i5 3570K,1155.

1155 is a little older, but should still perform fine for everyday gaming needs.

And in any event, buying an all-new 1150 CPU and motherboard really isn't justified by whatever performance gains you could see.

Looking around for a sec... going with the mobo the shop is selling you might just be your best bet.

NewEgg only has refurbished and open-box 1155 motherboards from any of the big brands. And MSI is a safe bet.

edited July 2015
    Am I going to have to haul my shot over to a new motherboard if I need a new processor in a few years?

I figure I'll go for this mobo, what should I look for in a PSU?

Tube on
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Am I going to have to haul my shot over to a new motherboard if I need a new processor in a few years?

Yes, but your choices are get new mobo&CPU right now or mobo&cpu then. Also, the processor you have now should last you for years.

steam_sig.png
    Yeah, I would just stick with 1155.

I just forced a friend of mine to move from his old 1366 motherboard + i7 950. He swore the i5 4670k I was telling him to get would be a downgrade from his 2011 i7, literally because "more cores." After selling him my old mobo + case + PSU + H60 for $75, he is now thoroughly convinced that it was the right choice and his games run much more smoothly.

tl;dr: I am right about everything, ever.

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    kaliyama wrote: »
    What if I can talk him down to 250, or possibly even 200? A few people have already told me that for it's age it is still a decent card since it is a x90 meaning a dual GPU card, that would be up in the 900 series for performance give or take, and can still play most games on ultra settings. I'd be upgrading from a GTX 580, and at least want to be somewhat able to run a Rift setup when it comes out. I had a couple of friends tell me it was a decent price, but not some fabulous deal. Frankly it's still a lot of money for me and I'd prefer to hear as much feedback as possible, thus my asking here. I wasn't going to get a new graphics card for a while, but for a decent deal I wouldn't mind a stopgap card that can hold me for a couple more years.

That price is just goofy. I'm upgrading to a Fury X. I'm happy to send you a 290x for $200.

I appreciate it, but I'm Nvidia for the moment.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I don't think I've ever seen a processor fail on a computer ever outside of actual physical damage.

So Arkham Knight actually looks really cool -- I might actually spring for it at full retail price once I get my 980 Ti.

Have the problems with the PC port been resolved?

Oh wow.

They actually stopped selling the PC version? That's pretty catastrophic.

edited July 2015
    Mighty catastrophic, yes. You can either play it okay and it looks worse than the console versions, or you can't play it at all. No ETA on any real fixes.

minor incident on
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    For AK, either get the PS4 version or wait until PC fix, at which point you probably can get the GOTY edition for like $5 on a steam sell.

According to shop guy, it wasn't a build problem with the motherboard. Apparently it happens a lot to that board, the move probably exacerbated it. It was nice to know there wasn't anything I could have done. The bill is going to sting a lot though.

It better not be THAT bad with a sub $100 board.

$45 for the diagnosis, $150 for the rebuild, $60 for the board, $170ish for the PSU.

How is the power-supply $170? And is he charging you $150 for labor?

This discussion has been closed.