As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Halo Infinite/SplitGate] Halo Infinite available now! Closed Spoilers for story

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »
    343 has forgotten the face of its father. It shoots with its hand, not with its heart.

Uh... its father went on to make Destiny. So... not much help there in the local play department.

• MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    UGGGHHHH I was RAISED on Halo local co-op. My college roommate and I beat it in one sitting. It's still one of my best gaming memories. I'm fucking mad. Also not buying Halo 5.

Fuckers.

XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    I remember asking one of my friends if he wanted to come around and chill at my place for a bit. I loaded up the first Halo and said we could play co-op for a bit and he stayed until 4 or 5 in the morning. Since then, not long after the release of every Halo, he has come around and we have done the entire campaign in one setting.

I will admit to feeling a tiny bit sad that this isn't going to be an option anymore.

PSN Fleety2009
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I haven't played Halo split-screen since Halo 3. Given how few games even support it nowadays, I'm surprised there's as much of an uproar about it with Halo.

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    It's been a thing since literally the creation of the series.

You could even do Spartan Ops local co-op!

Granted both players needed Gold, but still!

newSig.jpg
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    I haven't played Halo split-screen since Halo 3. Given how few games even support it nowadays, I'm surprised there's as much of an uproar about it with Halo.

If I wanted to play my multiplayer-slash-co-op games in an enclosed, non-social setting on the couch, I wouldn't bother with consoles.

Nocren wrote: »
    It's been a thing since literally the creation of the series.

You could even do Spartan Ops local co-op!

Granted both players needed Gold, but still!

The reason I'm not super salty about it is that I grew up and people move away. Now the people I played split screen with I'd HAVE to play online with.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    It's almost as though people have varying opinions and emotional attachments to an aspect of gameplay up in here! :P

College Halo was local multiplayer Halos instead of class. Once I got out, that was it for local play. Not really missing it. Plus with the whole push for all the graphics, local co-op probably wasn't viable.

"Local co-op at 920p and 30 FPS?! PREORDER CANCELLED" etc, etc...

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I'm shocked it's lasting as long as it has--I was genuinely surprised when Halo 4 had local co-op as I thought 343 would do away with it (and given the very large graphical leap involved, have a easily cited technical reason).

Don't misunderstand, I'm also sad about local LAN multiplayer leaving games in general, and Halo slightly later--an Xbox One is not much more a challenge to move about than a old Xbox, an they're both still easier to move than any gaming desktop worth a crap--but I don't expect Halo to buckle the trend when, like any game, it's also blasted for not lacking certain modern features that people genuinely enjoy. Not so jazzed about any rising homogeneity among console FPS, but oh well, I could barely be called a Call of Duty player since MW came out. They're not marketing towards me.

I'm glad to hear co-op won't require gold to play online but it does beg the question--who has an Xbox One and doesn't have gold at this point? Aside from being a concession for removing local co-op, maybe to allow people who might migrate their old silver accounts to try it out on a friend's console, or something weird like that?

Synthesis wrote: »
    I'm shocked it's lasting as long as it has--I was genuinely surprised when Halo 4 had local co-op as I thought 343 would do away with it (and given the very large graphical leap involved, have a easily cited technical reason).

Don't misunderstand, I'm also sad about local LAN multiplayer leaving games in general, and Halo slightly later--an Xbox One is not much more a challenge to move about than a old Xbox, an they're both still easier to move than any gaming desktop worth a crap--but I don't expect Halo to buckle the trend when, like any game, it's also blasted for not lacking certain modern features that people genuinely enjoy. Not so jazzed about any rising homogeneity among console FPS, but oh well, I could barely be called a Call of Duty player since MW came out. They're not marketing towards me.

I'm glad to hear co-op won't require gold to play online but it does beg the question--who has an Xbox One and doesn't have gold at this point? Aside from being a concession for removing local co-op, maybe to allow people who might migrate their old silver accounts to try it out on a friend's console, or something weird like that?

Oh didn't you hear? They retracted that information, embarrassingly. Still, all map DLC being free is a big deal, even OG XBOX didn't do that.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Splitscreen will always be important to me. If I want to play 2player games these days I end up doing fighting games which not everyone is down with. It's sad that Halo is moving so far away from stuff like that. Atleast LAN stuff is still intact, local tournies still use LAN all the time.

• MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    Splitscreen will always be important to me. If I want to play 2player games these days I end up doing fighting games which not everyone is down with.

Pretty much this. The most recent addition to my group of friends was over a decade ago, and we're all still local. I quite enjoy sitting down with a few drinks and running through Halo with my buddies. My GF is also a big fan of Halo. I'm certainly not buying a new XBone just so her and I can continue that. No reason for me to purchase it now. I buy Halo for the co-op. Never beat any of them single-player, never plan to, and I'm not big on Halo MP.

I realize this is just me.

XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Likewise, my group of friends is fairly into the couch-co-op and couch-multiplayer business whenever we hang out, but literally one of us owns an Xbox One and as much as I'd like to get one I have bigger budgeting issues to worry about and I know for a fact the rest of my group doesn't care much for the 'box at all - not enough to spend another 1500 AUD on new consoles.

Again, anecdotal bullshit here. 343 probably looked at the metrics of usage and went, "well this is a feature that will drain our resources and X amount of people missing out are acceptable losses, let's just drop it", but it just means that local party play will continue to die out, which is pretty funny considering the setting in which a console is usually located.

• Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Likewise, my group of friends is fairly into the couch-co-op and couch-multiplayer business whenever we hang out, but literally one of us owns an Xbox One and as much as I'd like to get one I have bigger budgeting issues to worry about and I know for a fact the rest of my group doesn't care much for the 'box at all - not enough to spend another 1500 AUD on new consoles.

Again, anecdotal bullshit here. 343 probably looked at the metrics of usage and went, "well this is a feature that will drain our resources and X amount of people missing out are acceptable losses, let's just drop it", but it just means that local party play will continue to die out, which is pretty funny considering the setting in which a console is usually located.

Part of the problem is probably the graphical jump mixed with split screen. It might be a technical limitation more than a resource one.

No I don't.
    I don't believe for a second that compromises couldn't be made if they really wanted to keep split-screen as a feature. They just cared more about the graphics benchmark they set and prioritised that feature over the other, because it would be less of a resource hassle for not a huge loss.

edited July 2015
    I don't believe for a second that compromises couldn't be made if they really wanted to keep split-screen as a feature. They just cared more about the graphics benchmark they set and prioritised that feature over the other, because it would be less of a resource hassle for not a huge loss.

Honestly, Mario Kart is the only game I can think of that runs at 1080p / 60fps splitscreen.

tastydonuts on
  • Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular

They could probably have compromised but graphics quality may have seemed the more important goal

I think split-screen play hasn't been super important to halo for a while now, it sucks for those who still use it but I'm not sure that group of people is big enough to justify the work they would have to do as well as the technical hit

edited July 2015

They could probably have compromised but graphics quality may have seemed the more important goal

Well, yeah that was the crux of my post - they made an active decision to drop it because as always when it comes to development, resources and things get the short end of the stick

I 100% understand the reasons behind it but it doesn't mean I have to think it was a good reason

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Man, this would upset me more if my co-op partner didn't move away years ago.

Though this is another nail in the coffin for local co-op and as someone who grew up on that shit it makes me kind of sad.

Dragkonias on

I think if you asked the Xbox One user base to prioritize the following in order, for a shooter:
    -Graphical quality
    -Framerate
    -Online play
    -2 player split screen modes

The 4th item would hit the bottom on a VAST majority of these surveys. While it is fun for co-op, it's genuinely terrible for Vs, which is by far the more popular mode. How terrible is it? Nintendo just made their first swing at an online shooter and sandbagged split screen instantly. NINTENDO did this. The writing is basically on the wall for split screen in shooters.

Which isn't to say there's no games that will have local play anymore, stuff like Cup Head shows it still has value.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    let's be honest, splatoon is a pretty good example of how nintendo is great at gameplay but still really doesn't understand this "internet" thing these kids use these days
    (plaza excluded)

edited July 2015
    I think if you asked the Xbox One user base to prioritize the following in order, for a shooter:
    -Graphical quality
    -Framerate
    -Online play
    -2 player split screen modes

[citation needed]

But seriously man, I'm only going to speak from my personal experiences. Unless there's some sort of universal metric by which we can measure the Xbox One user base as a single nebulous entity, there's no way we can really judge any of that.

Conventional split-screen shooters are rarely strictly impossible to achieve if they were a serious part of the design brief, as it was for Halo 5, or, say, Battlefront. Maybe they did focus-test their audience and ensured that the feature that they dropped in order to conserve resources was the one that would be missed the least.

But even The Master Chief Collection, which seems to be mostly universally reviled for its shoddy online connection and poor matchmaking, had butter-smooth, pretty flawless local split-screen multiplayer and co-op, so it is really silly to suggest that split-screen would be "genuinely terrible", without the caveat (in this very, very specific context) that the developers wanted to preserve the exorbitant polys and textures and post-processing and what-have-you that they wanted for their final release build.

BRIAN BLESSED on
    http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/06/26/a-guided-tour-of-halo-5-guardians-newest-map-fathom-.aspx?utm_content=bufferad95b&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
    The Halo arsenal has been broken into three tiers. Common weapons like the magnum, assault rifle, and the battle rifle spawn in fairly specific spots across the map, and a fresh weapon will respawn only 20 seconds after a player picks one up. “We didn’t like old classic Halo, where you would spawn with an SMG – and the old SMG wasn’t very good – so you’d have to go on a scavenger hunt for maybe 30 seconds to find another weapon before you could fight anyone,” DelHoyo says. Guardians' new weapon-spawning system seems to help mitigate some of these classic problems.

Tier-two weapons – like the shotgun – are more powerful, so 343 Industries wants to control how many of them are on the battlefield at any given moment. This means that as soon as someone picks up one of these tier-two weapons, another one won’t spawn until that weapon is out of ammo and the player holding it swaps it out for something else. However, as soon as that gun has been ditched, another tier-two weapon appears on the map a second later.

Tier-three weapons are essentially power weapons. They hover over special plates and respawn at set periods of time. Several seconds before the weapon respawns, a holographic display of the gun will appear over the pad and an announcer alerts players to the respawn 10 seconds before it drops. This helps escalate the battle at these choke points whenever a power weapon drops, giving each team an equal opportunity to gain the upper hand.
    Three different weapon spawn systems? Nope, not confusing at all!

And regarding the bolded: "Old classic Halo" spawned everyone with a pistol!

http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/5443-halo-5-guardians-discussion/page-1472#entry514741
    There are more customization options than beta but the armor specifically is tied to helmets and suits - no "bits and bobs" like in Halo: Reach. Each suit suit and helmet is designed with a specific visual style in mind. We've created a HUGE variety of suits and helmets including brand new designs and lots of returning classics. Armor options are unlocked through the REQ system and we'll be continuing to build and release new content post-launch, with hundreds of new REQs planned (in addition to the content available at launch).
    Apparently this is a 343i guy. The armor customization in Halo 5: Guardians is a huge step back from previous games.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/halo-community-update-6-26-15
    Will you be able to play as any type of character (ex: Elite, Forerunner, ext...)

Everyone plays as a Spartan in Halo 5 multiplayer. This includes both Warzone and Arena.
    Not that I expected otherwise, but still disappointing. Playable Elites were so much fun in Reach.
    Any chance we'll see a PvE only version of Warzone?

We have no plans for a PvE-only version of Warzone, but this is something we may consider post-launch if there is enough enthusiasm from the Halo 5 community.
    Probably also no Firefight.
    Will there be any UNSC aircraft that we can use?

Warzone features Pelicans in intro to the mode but there will be no pilotable UNSC aircraft in the mode at launch.
    No pilotable UNSC vehicles in Warzone sounds like no pilotable UNSC vehicles in campaign.

http://teambeyond.net/halo-5-guardians-wont-feature-big-team-battle-at-launch/
    “In addition, we are working on a more classic BTB experience with timed weapon and vehicle spawns, and this will be introduced shortly after launch with a number of maps specifically optimized for BTB.”
    No BTB at launch.

And as discussed, no split-screen.

...biggest Halo ever!

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Sounds like they are slowly trying to copy Destiny's ammo system.

• Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular

How?

It doesn't sound like they are changing anything to do with ammo, just how weapons spawn and in a way that seems pretty sensible.

Anyway in regards to Arteen it's a shame about the armour but I don't think the problem is lack of customisation it's that 343 is actually garbage at armour design. I'd settle for much less customisation as long as the options were actually worth taking.

And didn't Reach only have playable elites in just the invasion modes and like one slayer variant? They were fun to play but it's not like they popped up much even then.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015

How?

It doesn't sound like they are changing anything to do with ammo, just how weapons spawn and in a way that seems pretty sensible.

Anyway in regards to Arteen it's a shame about the armour but I don't think the problem is lack of customisation it's that 343 is actually garbage at armour design. I'd settle for much less customisation as long as the options were actually worth taking.

And didn't Reach only have playable elites in just the invasion modes and like one slayer variant? They were fun to play but it's not like they popped up much even then.

The ammo system is basically how weapons spawn in Destiny.

And its basically what they just described.

ObiFett on
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    it says no pilotable UNSC aircraft, not vehicles

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2015/06/26/a-guided-tour-of-halo-5-guardians-newest-map-fathom-.aspx?utm_content=bufferad95b&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
    The Halo arsenal has been broken into three tiers. Common weapons like the magnum, assault rifle, and the battle rifle spawn in fairly specific spots across the map, and a fresh weapon will respawn only 20 seconds after a player picks one up. “We didn’t like old classic Halo, where you would spawn with an SMG – and the old SMG wasn’t very good – so you’d have to go on a scavenger hunt for maybe 30 seconds to find another weapon before you could fight anyone,” DelHoyo says. Guardians' new weapon-spawning system seems to help mitigate some of these classic problems.

Tier-two weapons – like the shotgun – are more powerful, so 343 Industries wants to control how many of them are on the battlefield at any given moment. This means that as soon as someone picks up one of these tier-two weapons, another one won’t spawn until that weapon is out of ammo and the player holding it swaps it out for something else. However, as soon as that gun has been ditched, another tier-two weapon appears on the map a second later.

Tier-three weapons are essentially power weapons. They hover over special plates and respawn at set periods of time. Several seconds before the weapon respawns, a holographic display of the gun will appear over the pad and an announcer alerts players to the respawn 10 seconds before it drops. This helps escalate the battle at these choke points whenever a power weapon drops, giving each team an equal opportunity to gain the upper hand.
    Three different weapon spawn systems? Nope, not confusing at all!

And regarding the bolded: "Old classic Halo" spawned everyone with a pistol!

http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/5443-halo-5-guardians-discussion/page-1472#entry514741
    There are more customization options than beta but the armor specifically is tied to helmets and suits - no "bits and bobs" like in Halo: Reach. Each suit suit and helmet is designed with a specific visual style in mind. We've created a HUGE variety of suits and helmets including brand new designs and lots of returning classics. Armor options are unlocked through the REQ system and we'll be continuing to build and release new content post-launch, with hundreds of new REQs planned (in addition to the content available at launch).
    Apparently this is a 343i guy. The armor customization in Halo 5: Guardians is a huge step back from previous games.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/community/blog-posts/halo-community-update-6-26-15
    Will you be able to play as any type of character (ex: Elite, Forerunner, ext...)

Everyone plays as a Spartan in Halo 5 multiplayer. This includes both Warzone and Arena.
    Not that I expected otherwise, but still disappointing. Playable Elites were so much fun in Reach.
    Any chance we'll see a PvE only version of Warzone?

We have no plans for a PvE-only version of Warzone, but this is something we may consider post-launch if there is enough enthusiasm from the Halo 5 community.
    Probably also no Firefight.

Warzone features Pelicans in intro to the mode but there will be no pilotable UNSC aircraft in the mode at launch.
    No pilotable UNSC vehicles in Warzone sounds like no pilotable UNSC vehicles in campaign.

http://teambeyond.net/halo-5-guardians-wont-feature-big-team-battle-at-launch/
    “In addition, we are working on a more classic BTB experience with timed weapon and vehicle spawns, and this will be introduced shortly after launch with a number of maps specifically optimized for BTB.”
    No BTB at launch.

And as discussed, no split-screen.

...biggest Halo ever!

So this isn't actually that different from original Halo. Stuff like SMGs spawn constantly. Better weapons (shotguns, etc) spawn slower. It's new that they'll only spawn one, but presumably there's like 2 or 3 spots to get one, not just one. Power weapon spawn is exactly like Halos of old, only with a warning. Which is actually more fair, pro players had timers, now they're just giving everyone access to that.

Sounds like they've greatly reduced armor customization, but Destiny is where that system went, it's not too surprising.

Halo goes back and forth on Elites. Generally balancing them has been tough.

Definitely no Firefight (see my posts at any given moment about 343's vendetta against Firefight).

Yeah, they're just talking about air vehicles from the UNSC. There's a Forerunner flying ship (which is somewhat similar to the Hornet, or so I hear). And the classic Banshee and all the Warthogs and what nots you'd expect.

Okay, no BTB at launch, but they're adding it and presumably some of the DLC maps (ALL FREE) will be set up to have it.

• FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Is the MCC fixed yet

Short answer: No.
    Long answer: Hahaha, no.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Regarding downgrading graphics for split screen: the number one hootin and hollerin people did in the PS4 v. Xbone wars was quibbling over fps and stuff. It was ridiculous. I have no doubt that they wanted to avoid a bunch of bs media coverage on "SEE, the flagship Microsoft game first even run in high resolution!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!11one"

I do have very find memories of Halo 3 with a buddy on the couch next to me, online with two friends at another house on their couch, though.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
    New Halo 5 Vidoc. I'm cautiously optimistic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6FzQS3Yx-M

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    New Halo 5 Vidoc. I'm cautiously optimistic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6FzQS3Yx-M

That looks promising. I liked the AI buddies in Bad Company but that had a lot of personality in the writing and voice acting. So I hope the two Spartan teams are well fleshed-out.

The weapon spawn system seems like they're trying to shift back to having map control in the game again. I wouldn't say copying Destiny's ammo system because you're not locked to a specific weapon by the game when you spawn in Destiny. What is the default spawn weapon? They didn't say and I forgot what it was in the Beta.

Also, lhe lack of flying vehicles doesn't preclude ground vehicles either. Like... he literally says "no pilotable UNSC aircraft" in his response... and the latter response vehicle spawns... how did you get "no vehicles in campaign from that?

The weapon spawn system seems like they're trying to shift back to having map control in the game again. I wouldn't say copying Destiny's ammo system because you're not locked to a specific weapon by the game when you spawn in Destiny. What is the default spawn weapon? They didn't say and I forgot what it was in the Beta.

Also, lhe lack of flying vehicles doesn't preclude ground vehicles either. Like... he literally says "no pilotable UNSC aircraft" in his response... and the latter response vehicle spawns... how did you get "no vehicles in campaign from that?

Where are you getting "no vehicles in campaign"?

Here is the thing you said:

"No pilotable UNSC vehicles"

If the campaign had hornets or falcons or some other new aircraft, I'm sure we'd see them in Warzone, too. Which is why I doubt there are any.

Considering we've seen very little in the way of new enemies, vehicles, and weapons befitting the generational leap between Halo 4 and Halo 5, and Halo 4 itself was a step down from previous games, I'm concerned that Halo 5 won't actually have that much in it.

edited July 2015

If the campaign had hornets or falcons or some other new aircraft, I'm sure we'd see them in Warzone, too. Which is why I doubt there are any.

Considering we've seen very little in the way of new enemies, vehicles, and weapons befitting the generational leap between Halo 4 and Halo 5, and Halo 4 itself was a step down from previous games, I'm concerned that Halo 5 won't actually have that much in it.

Sorry, I assumed the context of my use of "vehicles" would be inferred on its own. Did you assume when he said there would be vehicles in BTB that they would also not be pilotable too?

tastydonuts on

Sorry, I assumed the context of my use of "vehicles" would be inferred on its own. Did you assume when he said there would be vehicles in BTB that they would also not be pilotable too?

Ah, by pilotable, I mean UNSC aircraft specifically. There will definitely be the classic ground vehicles and banshees as well.

I'm just worried about how little new content 343i's actually shown. I want them to make a big, fun Halo game, but Halo 4 was notoriously light on variety and Halo 5 sounds like it might be the same.

Ah, by pilotable, I mean UNSC aircraft specifically. There will definitely be the classic ground vehicles and banshees as well.

I'm just worried about how little new content 343i's actually shown. I want them to make a big, fun Halo game, but Halo 4 was notoriously light on variety and Halo 5 sounds like it might be the same.

No Halo game has had more than two flight vehicles in it at a time. Halo 5 is doing a Forerunner plane rather than a UNSC one, that's all it is.