As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pax Prime Newbie 2015

13»

• Options
    RealPlumpBoxRealPlumpBox Burlington, CTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    gamersmom wrote: »
    Hello-this will be my sons first Pax experience. This trip will be Christmas,bday,etc. etc. so I want to make it great. From past attendees which hotels are connected or across from the event? Which hotels will block rooms? I'm already looking into flights (from FL) & wanted to get a budget idea...? Any advice appreciated. :)

A few things. For transportation from SeaTac Airport he can just take the Link Lightrail to the last stop at Westlake Station. The path is located on the 4th floor of the parking garage connected to the airport terminals. the cost is $3.00 one way. It is safe and easy. I take it everyday for work (i live in SeaTac, WA). Westlake Station will bring you up to 6th And Pike which is 2 blocks away from pretty much every major hotel in the area and the convention center itself.

As for hotels be advised that the Red Lion on 5th is now called The Motif.

My source for all this info is I work in downtown 2 blocks from the convention center and have been for 3 years.
    If you have any other questions Private message me and I can help more.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    KartharaKarthara Registered User new member
    I am very excited to attend my first Pax, but I do have some social anxiety issues. I heard something about there being places for people who need to calm down, but I want to be prepared so I have a plan if I start getting too stressed. What should I know beyond 'the people in the blue enforcer shirts are my friends?'

• Options
    hadiwisthadiwist Nashville, TNRegistered User regular
    There will be an AFK room by http://www.takethis.org/afk-rooms/ where you can go if you need a safe, quiet space to get away. Check the guidebook app for Prime when it comes out for the location.

• Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Karthara wrote: »
    I am very excited to attend my first Pax, but I do have some social anxiety issues. I heard something about there being places for people who need to calm down, but I want to be prepared so I have a plan if I start getting too stressed. What should I know beyond 'the people in the blue enforcer shirts are my friends?'

The AFK room is certainly something to make sure you know where it is and spend some time there. It will be staffed with mental health professionals that make sure its a calm and safe place. You don't have to talk to them, you can just use the room to rest in, but they are there if you need them.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    IncarnadineIncarnadine Registered User regular
    In past years, the AFK room has been one or two floors below the main show floor, just off the main escalators.

• Options
    sheldyxsheldyx Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I've been to pax 2 times (2013 and 2014) and this would be my 3rd time.
    A few things that I recommend:
    #Bring a poster tube to hold posters.
    #Bring a travel chair (a very small one like camping ones) bc u will have to wait in line for hours. (if u see 3 guys with chairs that would be us hhahaha, come and say hi :D )
    #Bring a power outlet splitter to charge all ur stuff, that way u can charge u camera, phone, DS, etc. Also u could share it with other ppl (good way to make friends!!)
    #U wont be able to go to all the panels that u want, chose 1 or 2 a day.
    #Make sure to bring good shoes, u would be walking a lot.
    #Try to go running or walking a few weeks before pax that way u get in shape. (trust me, u legs r going to suffer!!)
    #Bring a backpack, mostly empty for all the goodies. (last year I got around 20 t-shirts and a few headsets and more.)
    #U dont need a car if ur hotel is close from the convention center. If u do then go very early to find parking (7am)
    #U probably wont have signal in the convention center (sometimes not even outside) to receive or send text, dont even dream of making calls. 4G? whats that? xD
    #The expo hall closes at 6 but there r panels till 12 and they close the free pc and console area at 12 as well. After parties some times goes till very late.
    #Buy some Snacks and something to drink outside the convention center, inside its too expensive.
    #Bring light clothing but maybe a very small jacket may be needed, often time its hot inside but it may get cool if u r skinny (I'm skinny so i get cold D:)
    #If u plan on buying things at the booths, make sure to have some cash on u. Last year the debit/credit card server went down and ppl couldnt buy stuff with their cards for a little while (they eventually fixed it)
    #There would be lots of giveaways so u may find urself spending a lot of time getting raffle tickets.
    #Last year lots of ppl didnt get their passes on time (I was one) so we had to picked them up at the convention center.
    #Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is more stuff but atm i cant think of anything else :P

sheldyx on
  • Options
    KeroanKeroan Chicago, IllinoisRegistered User regular
    sheldyx wrote: »
    #Bring a power outlet splitter to charge all ur stuff, that way u can charge u camera, phone, DS, etc. Also u could share it with other ppl (good way to make friends!!)

I'm not sure there's always an opportunity in the hall to use a strip but OH LORD if you are staying in a hotel with other people bring one!!!!! Hotels will have like 4-5 usable plugs and that is instantly taken up by DS's and phones. You will be showered in much praise if you bring a large power strip with you :)

• Options
    IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    Keroan wrote: »

I'm not sure there's always an opportunity in the hall to use a strip but OH LORD if you are staying in a hotel with other people bring one!!!!! Hotels will have like 4-5 usable plugs and that is instantly taken up by DS's and phones. You will be showered in much praise if you bring a large power strip with you :)

I'm still a PAX newbie (first Prime) but while at PAX South and other local conventions I found a lot of people walking around with portable battery packs like this one: http://amzn.to/1HyEDg3

I got one for myself since I didn't want to be outlet camping like I was at South. Might be a good idea for anyone bringing cell phones, DSes, Vitas, tablets, etc.

• Options
    angelicstubbornessangelicstubborness Registered User regular
    I'm just really nervous that my tickets won't get here, and I'll have spend over 1500 on seattle for no reason xD

• Options
    valdorvaldor Registered User regular
    If for some reason badges dont arrive then I know you can email the people at PAX and they will help you out. Most likely they will just let you pick them up at will call but I am nt 100%.

3 time TWDT attendee. One year as House Head Boy and Now Head of House for Slytherin DE.
    4 Year Pax West Attendee
  • Options
    They are very very good about getting there on time. Typically, they arrive between 2-3 weeks beforehand? The problem is not forgetting them before you get on a plane!

There are cases of them getting lost in the mail and such. If you don't have them the week of pax I would probably email penny arcade and see what can be done.

I keep forgetting mine are at will call this year. That's really going to freak me out!

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    I had badges not arrive once. Before PAX, I contacted them, was told to bring my paperwork and id to the Will Call window. I brought that and a printout of the email, and they replaced my badges with no issue.

• Options
    Oh thank god. I'm just so excited and this is my first pax, ever.
    Thanks you guys for replying so fast.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    I had badges not arrive once. Before PAX, I contacted them, was told to bring my paperwork and id to the Will Call window. I brought that and a printout of the email, and they replaced my badges with no issue.
    Yup, same here. The orders shipped to Alaska got fucked one year and the PAX crew were very helpful to all of us up in the post-apoc frozen north.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    Same here, last year was bad, so many ppl didnt get theirs on time. But at the end the Will Call window was there to save the day!!! I hope this years its better but if it happens again I know where to go hehe.
    Keroan wrote: »

I used mine while resting and waiting in line for the panels at the hotels.

Bringing a power bank its probably the best idea. Bc there is no signal in there i found my self not using my phone as much so a 5000mAh power bank so enough for the day.

• Options
    Nfan10039Nfan10039 Streamer/Gamer/Developer Montreal (Seattle eventually....)Registered User regular
    Will there be a printable guidebook? I don't own a cell phone, and really don't feel like getting one just for PAX.

ajor19ru24j1.png
    Just a nerd into anything Nintendo, anime, MCU, Star Wars, and board games/card games.
    Also a computer scientist and a streamer.
  • Options
    JasonGreveJasonGreve Gamer Registered User regular
    Nfan10039 wrote: »
    Will there be a printable guidebook? I don't own a cell phone, and really don't feel like getting one just for PAX.

They are handed out for free at the convention :)

• Options
    Nfan10039Nfan10039 Streamer/Gamer/Developer Montreal (Seattle eventually....)Registered User regular
    I don't know if this is the right section for this(sorry if it isn't), but has anyone stayed at the Hostelling International for their hotel? I'm thinking of staying there this year, but would like some feedback on what people think of this.

ajor19ru24j1.png
    Just a nerd into anything Nintendo, anime, MCU, Star Wars, and board games/card games.
    Also a computer scientist and a streamer.
  • Options
    There r some game where u need to scan barcodes or the square one (cant remember their name) and to do that u will need a smartphone.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    There r some game where u need to scan barcodes or the square one (cant remember their name) and to do that u will need a smartphone.

That will be PAX XP. You can use your smartphone and the "electronic guidebook" (using the app Guidebook. The guide for Pax Prime 2015 has not been uploaded yet) to scan QR codes on signs around the convention center. The codes will generally reveal parts of a puzzle and when you complete it, it will tell you where to go for a small prize.

East 2013 got me a keychain. I believe East 2014 & 2015 was a rubik's cube. Pretty nifty :)

Keroan on
  • Options
    I'm staying at the nathaniel apartel. It has a kitchen, so I'm hoping there are easy to access grocery stores in the area.

• Options
    Would anyone be interested in meeting up Thursday and exploring the area with me? I'm a newbie and my friends can't make it.

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Would anyone be interested in meeting up Thursday and exploring the area with me? I'm a newbie and my friends can't make it.

Check out the The Magical Mystery Tour. There is a placeholder link for it right now. It is a bunch of PAXers tooling around Seattle seeing cool stuff.

• Options
    sediroxsedirox Registered User regular
    I don't know if this is the right section for this(sorry if it isn't), but has anyone stayed at the Hostelling International for their hotel? I'm thinking of staying there this year, but would like some feedback on what people think of this.

I stayed there last year. Pretty decent place for hanging your hat after a long day at PAX. It's about a 10ish minute drive from the convention center. Since I was in cosplay, I used Uber to get to and from the convention center everyday and it cost me about $4-$6 per trip. But you can use the light rail from the International District heading north to the end of the line and it's a couple blocks walk to the convention center.

There have free breakfast everyday from about 6am to 9am. Rooms are clean and you meet a whole bunch of people, some who will be in town for PAX. So if you don't want to splurge on a hotel, I would highly recommend it.

• Options
    RealPlumpBoxRealPlumpBox Burlington, CTRegistered User regular
    I'm staying at the nathaniel apartel. It has a kitchen, so I'm hoping there are easy to access grocery stores in the area.
    There a a few good markets around there. Also A few well stocked drug stores. There is a full size grocery at 3rd and Pike. It is an IGA. Also there is a full Target at 2nd and Pike.

• Options
    Okay I've never flown before, what's the best way to get to my hotel?

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    Getting To/From the Airport

As mentioned in the FAQ, don't bother renting a car if you are staying downtown. The cheapest option, by far, is Seattle's Link Light Rail. The fare is $3 and it takes about 45 minutes to get downtown. Provided you don't arrive during rush hour, it can be faster to take a hotel shuttle or cab. The price for the former varies by hotel, and the latter will run you between $40-$50. I believe Uber and Lyft can pick up from the airport (please verify this yourself if you want to use these options). Again, if you arrive during rush hour, the light rail will probably be your best bet.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    What's Uber and Lyft?
    Forgive my ignorance. First time traveling anywhere this busy. I'm a small town person. xD:

• Options
    WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular

The Link Light Rail runs from SeaTac to Downtown. It's only about $3-4 to go one-way, and it's about a 45 minute ride. Westlake is the downtown stop, and is the last stop on the line, so there's no risk of missing it.

You'll get off at Westlink Station which empties out onto Pine St. Go NW two blocks to Stewart St, then turn right and go about five blocks up Stewart to Terry St and the Apartel.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    adele822adele822 Registered User regular

I second the light rail as long as you don't mind the ride and hauling all your luggage with you on public transportation. Honestly, traffic here is awful all the time unless you are traveling between like 8pm and 6am, especially heading into downtown. The light rail avoids all that, and it runs every 10-15 min so you don't have to wait long.

• Options
    IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    What's Uber and Lyft?
    Forgive my ignorance. First time traveling anywhere this busy. I'm a small town person. xD:

Uber and Lyft are ride sharing services. Basically like cabs, but the people that pick you up are driving their own cars. Fares can be a lot cheaper compared to cabs, but it's up to your preference.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I'm personally not crazy about how long it takes to get downtown, but this year I'm getting into Seattle at like 5:00 PM so there is realistically no other option. And even if there was, it's really hard to argue with the price.

I typically only bring one carry-on roll-a-board bag and my laptop messenger bag, so while the Link Light Rail cars aren't really designed for luggage it's not a huge hassle, and since the line starts at the airport you won't be fighting people for space. If you're bringing a Big McLargeHuge checked bag, plus your sweet gaming tower rig and two kids you may just want to get a cab or look into the hotel shuttles.

But to reiterate, you don't want to get a car unless you're not staying in downtown, in which case you're going to have funtimes dealing with Seattle traffic. The first year I did PAX back in '07 my buddy and I stayed with his brother over in Kirkwood. Dealing with the bridge traffic everyday made us decide that paying to stay downtown was worth it. If you are staying downtown, there is no free parking, and the hotel parking fees are exorbitant.

You'll be in the CBD of Seattle. You can walk everywhere you'd realistically want to go, and if you want to go further afield, public transit and cabs/rideshares are viable.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    I'm from the Chicago area and taking the L into the airport really stinks with a bag, even though it's the airport line. Though it's cheaper, I found that the Hyatt has a shuttle from the airport I could order for less than a cab/uber. So that's always an option as well for those who don't want to drag their bags anywhere :)

• Options
    shadowscoutshadowscout Registered User regular
    I've booked a shared ride on Shuttle Express - its less that $40 for the round trip from / to the airport (that's including tip for the driver)