As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's Play Final Fantasy 12 Together - Week 12. Bahamut.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    It also helps that they really got someone super good to do the translation and script

Even things as small as the Capitalization done by the Translator in the written sections are a Credit to the Localization process

It definitely fits the tone and time period they try to evoke.
    And of course those written sections are by our pal Marquis Ondore! Look for him later, after you call him a liar in public!

• Options
    Stilts wrote: »
    It's also pretty clear that--between the release of X and XII--Square had learned a lot about proper lip synching and voice direction.

Totally agree. And hey, they had about 5 years since X, they would be expected to improve at least a little.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I like that Vayne is actually charismatic.

The game doesn't just expect you to believe he is. He takes the effort to make him likable.

Also, for those playing the IZJS version, what did you make Vaan and Penelo?

I went with Monk and White Mage, respectively.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I took one look at the job selection, froze up, saved the game, and took a break.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I took one look at the job selection, froze up, saved the game, and took a break.

You're adorable.

Remember!

Once you choose

It's locked forever!

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    I gotta think about this shit! I gotta plan for six characters!

Oh my God the open license board was so much simpler

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    For those who have no fucking clue what job to pick (I admit, it's a bit overwhelming), here's a good video I found from someone's LP that gives a handy rundown of each job's role, strengths, and weaknesses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6Xz3B8vIcg

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I know I want Fran to be the Dragoon class for the Zodiac Spear use, and I think I want Basch to end up using the Masamune

But then I might also want Fran to wield ninja swords, for the dark alignment, which will be good against Yiazmat and Ultima in the end and have high combo rates

Balthier as... black mage? I'm not sure. I want a pure black mage.

Ashe is definitely the tank.

Vaan as.... white mage, maybe? Penelo as time? Hrm.

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    I told him to plan and decide yesterday

But nooooo

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    So, fun thing I noticed while attempting to drive hyenas to extinction:

The Giza Bunnies will sometimes heal you if you're low enough on health.

Nice incentive to not massacre the friendly mobs.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Won't lie, it's taking a lot for me not to keep playing until next week.

(Thankfully my friends wanna go see that dumb terminator movie so that'll help get my mind off license boards)

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    TamerBill wrote: »
    Hmm, wasn't paying attention and careened on to the end of week 2 without checking the schedule. And that's including several hours of grinding wolves in the desert, so I could buy that first hunter's book thing, whatever the heck it's called. The one that goes up in the bazaar for 18,000 after you defeat the second hunt.

18000 gil worth of wolves? Are there... any wolves left? I think you might have killed all of the wolves.

It actually wasn't that terrible, after I had Penelo in my party. Once they're both around level 7 or so, if both are equipped with Broadswords, you can reliably kill most wolves with the opening attacks. From there, it's just a matter of pushing that chain bonus as high as it will go, and avoiding the occasional Urstrix or any friendly monsters.

Of course, I'm a 100% Completion type crazy person, who's going to chase rare monster respawns for every bit of clan primer lore, and who's going to unlock the entire license grid with the entire roster, so this definitely won't look like a typical playthrough for most.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I.....kinda want to play 12 now???

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    So based on stats alone, in the standard version of the game, what tactical roles and weapons does everyone favor? Like, I was originally wanting to make Basch my heavy defense guy, but then I noticed that he's got the lowest vitality of the six at level 99. And I've heard that leaving Balthier using guns is actually a bad move, because of animation times or something?

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    I.....kinda want to play 12 now???

Joooooiiinn uuuuuuussss

signature.png
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    I'm guessing Basch didn't actually do those things the narrator is telling me he did, if only for the fact that I know he's a party member later on.

How the fuck do I remember so little about this game??

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I've never played it and don't own it!

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    I'm guessing Basch didn't actually do those things the narrator is telling me he did, if only for the fact that I know he's a party member later on.

How the fuck do I remember so little about this game??

You mean we get to talk about the plot

As you rediscover it

IN REAL TIME????

2hWYAWK.gif

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options

It's about $10 including shipping for used copies on Amazon :D

You'll be able to catch up pretty quickly!

signature.png
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Ha ha, it looks that way! I honestly thought replaying it would jog my memory a bit, but it really hasn't at all.

So FYI, all posts by me are being made as reactions to the plot as it is played through. I'll mention if I remember more stuff, but honestly I'm beginning to wonder if I actually got very far in the game to begin with. I'll be playing some more tomorrow and will comment on the plot then. I've only gotten some errands from the shopkeeper dude, haven't even ventured into the desert yet. The only other things I remember are:

-Fran is a playable character, and also a bunny person

-Ashe is a playable character, and evidently did NOT kill herself, despite shady narrator claims

-Balthier is a playable character, and has... guns? Maybe? And apparently I named a Neopets character after his speculated, fan-translated name before the game came out, a million years ago????

I want a war chocobo

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Well, the good news is that my house currently has no less than TWO PS2s, but one of them is currently in use.

Hopefully the other one is up for grabs.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    So based on stats alone, in the standard version of the game, what tactical roles and weapons does everyone favor? Like, I was originally wanting to make Basch my heavy defense guy, but then I noticed that he's got the lowest vitality of the six at level 99. And I've heard that leaving Balthier using guns is actually a bad move, because of animation times or something?

I wouldn't worry about natural stats or even the weapon delay. Just do as your heart tells you. And there's no reason to make each party member different; I had a few with quite similar setups.

Oh I did have a Girl's Club of crazy damage dealers out more often than not though

SilverWind on
    signature.png
  • Options
    AngelinaAngelina Registered User regular
    I've been playing through the Broken Swords this week, and now that I've finished 3 I can start playing this tonight! Well, at 4am. I really hope I don't have to move any crates, I now hate crates. I've forgotten everything about it so it'll be like playing a new game. Yey!

• Options
    Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    Boy do the Dalmascan's need better armourers

Hey maybe you guys shouldn't have armour with a hole right in front of the sternum, maybe wear some chainmail or put a slab of steel there it's practically asking for an arrow to go in your chest oh look an arrow, right there, in the chest

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Options
    Now in perfect fairness

That dude was using a greatbow roughly the size of a car, and Rasler actually did take it straight through his plate

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    My memory played tricks on me because I could've sworn the arrow hit his totally unarmored neck/clavicle area

But no, straight through the armor

signature.png
  • Options
    My previous save file tells me that I was 45 hours in last time I played. 45 hours?! Yet I remember nothing.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    A LOT of that time was killing wolves.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    An hour in and the wolves are probably already plotting their revenge.

• Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Starting up FFXII, bout to save the King with Basch and Reks!

I have a good feeling about this!

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    Hmm. So Reks just passed out, right?

RIGHT?!

• Options
    He's totally fine!

So's the king

So's Basch fon Ronsenburg

signature.png
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    So if this game added a menu to L1 that let you tweak your Gambits on the fly its gameplay would be basically indistinguishable from XIII. Man, FF fans are so full of it.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Shen wrote: »
    So if this game added a menu to L1 that let you tweak your Gambits on the fly its gameplay would be basically indistinguishable from XIII. Man, FF fans are so full of it.

w...what?

• Options
    If you try to enter Barheim Passage early, two Seeqs are blocking the entrance and have a silly conversation. I don't think I'd seen that before.

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    I like that Vayne is actually charismatic.

The game doesn't just expect you to believe he is. He takes the effort to make him likable.

Also, for those playing the IZJS version, what did you make Vaan and Penelo?

I went with Monk and White Mage, respectively.

Vaan is a Black Mage. He has six spells! Penelo is a Time Mage. She has... one spell. And it's not even a super good one. The crossbow's pretty decent at this point, at least.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    edited July 2015

The system itself wasn't really what people disliked about 13's combat.

It was largely that the game put multiple sets of training wheels on the combat system for a couple dozen hours.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    SilverWind wrote: »

NOW he has to buy a ps2!

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    SilverWind wrote: »

NOW he has to buy a ps2!

I haven't tried it in a while, may try later but doesn't the PS2 emulator play the game?

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »

w...what?

The paradigms in 13 are basically just pre-programmed gambits, where you can improve their behaviours by scanning your enemies. Ravagers are predisposed to hitting elemental weaknesses for example, but in FF12 there's no [Foe: Weak to Fire = Fira] option (though there is [Foe: Status = Oil]) so instead you open up the menu and deactivate or tweak that gambit when you encounter an enemy that absorbs an element. It's just a clumsier approach to the same damn thing. You can change active party member by pressing down though, which is something 13 should have had and 13-2 does in fact have, so yeah.

FF12's early game is actually way more enjoyable than I remember, but it's definitely overcomplex. Buying gambits and technicks and spells and armour, and then buying the licenses to use said abilities and armour, is just a bit silly.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png