As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV] Old HW launch thread

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Best dungeon theme? Best dungeon theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EaPDO6pPuE

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Still Enjoying DRK, but I'm getting interested in starting a DRG...

Are DPS still enjoying quick dungeon pops?

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Still Enjoying DRK, but I'm getting interested in starting a DRG...

Are DPS still enjoying quick dungeon pops?

Relatively. I tended to wait around 5 minutes sub-50.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    all this disrespect might not go so well for you guys. if there's a storyline involving organized crime chances are it's a lalafell running the joint

Jars wrote: »
    all this disrespect might not go so well for you guys. if there's a storyline involving organized crime chances are it's a lalafell running the joint

I'm not worried. Generally whenever a Lalafel tries to do something they always come up short.

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    One would expect the particularly wealthy Lala's to be fat.

Just imagine the generic big fat crime lord, but as a Lala.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular

Don't worry, I'm sure this short bout of disrespect will pass and things will start looking up for lalafells.

steam_sig.png

Don't worry, I'm sure this short bout of disrespect will pass and things will start looking up for lalafells.

Little steps.

• NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

I'm not worried. Generally whenever a Lalafel tries to do something they always come up short.

This is brilliant

Just top notch

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Leveling seems fairly easy so far. Just doing the quests in the starting city got me to level 3. I'd be level 5 but the PS network seems to be screwed right now.

I started a Black Mage. Fun so far but I need to look more into this umbral system.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »

This is brilliant

Just top notch

A pun so top shelf, a Lalafel would need a ladder to get it.

steam_sig.png
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular

Is this level of developer communication normal for FFXIV?

• DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote: »

Is this level of developer communication normal for FFXIV?

Very much so, it's a nice change of pace from typical industry standards.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I can't log in.

I'm getting this message:
    Cannot launch FINAL FANTASY XIV. Please register the promotion code included with your package or download. Re installation will not be necessary.

What gives?

• ElinElin Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    I can't log in.

I'm getting this message:
    Cannot launch FINAL FANTASY XIV. Please register the promotion code included with your package or download. Re installation will not be necessary.

What gives?

Did you actually enter your Heavensward game code or just the early access?

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
    N-

Neither?

I don't own Heavensward yet. I'm still well behind the point where the story would take me past the gate, so I haven't yet bought the expansion.

Did they make Heavenswaed mandatory to play last night?

N-

Neither?

I don't own Heavensward yet. I'm still well behind the point where the story would take me past the gate, so I haven't yet bought the expansion.

No, HS is and will never be mandatory to play. At least, I can't see any way that would turn out well for them.

Have you had the game long? I did a quick google search on the error and saw some posts from people stating they'd just get it ~1-4 times before getting into the game or that it the message would appear if PSN was down/in maintenance.

steam_sig.png
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Ahhhh the story nooo whyyyyyy

Earlyish 3.0 (lvl51):
    Sultana still alive? Come onnnnn. Taking the wind right out of that awesome story arc right there. Butts.

N-

Neither?

No, HS is and will never be mandatory to play. At least, I can't see any way that would turn out well for them.

Have you had the game long? I did a quick google search on the error and saw some posts from people stating they'd just get it ~1-4 times before getting into the game or that it the message would appear if PSN was down/in maintenance.

Had it for a while, yes.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Just started some beast tribe quests.
    "Fetching kobold lass"

I don't know what I expected but this Zo Ga's pimp swagger is impressive.

He will be a worthy foe.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Just started some beast tribe quests.
    "Fetching kobold lass"

I don't know what I expected but this Zo Ga's pimp swagger is impressive.

He will be a worthy foe.

He has quite an explosive personality.

488W936.png
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Little nitpick here, but HS is not the correct abbreviation for Heavensward. The word is Heavens-ward. Kind of like Skyward. It isn't Heaven Sward.

Anyway. I've got THM at 26 and ACN at 27 and I have no idea where to go to level. Which zone offers the best FATE participation from the community in this level range, and what zone has good/easy Levequests?

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Little nitpick here, but HS is not the correct abbreviation for Heavensward. The word is Heavens-ward. Kind of like Skyward. It isn't Heaven Sward.

Anyway. I've got THM at 26 and ACN at 27 and I have no idea where to go to level. Which zone offers the best FATE participation from the community in this level range, and what zone has good/easy Levequests?

You wouldn't be saying that if I was there waving my sward around now would you?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular

You're getting close to the HW FATE train. Check out Costa Del Sol, probably can do it at 27.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius

You are not incorrect. But for some reason, HS just makes more sense to me as a shorthand, even if it is incorrect. HW just makes me think of highway.

Also, making it sound like the expansion might be HeavenSward does amuse me.

But I'll use whatever I see people using more.

steam_sig.png
  • GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hou0lU8WMgo

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Alright. I just hit 30 on ACN and unlocked both Scholar and Summoner. I've got a couple questions regarding the playing of these classes.

1) How do SCH skills function when level-sync'd to a lower level? Let's say I queue a duty roulette as a scholar and draw Sastasha, what skills will be available to me at level 15, since Scholars don't even exist until 30?
    2) Do scholars work off of INT, or are they a MND class? If they are MND, does that mean that switching back and forth between Scholar and Summoner will let me assign Int and Mind separately? If not, can I "trick" the game by just loading all my points into INT and then cross-class Cleric stance and swap my Int/Mnd? In this instance, it would raise my mind stat to that of a healer? And basically if I was running Scholar I would also always run cleric stance.
    3) Which butterfly gives all the cool shields? That's the one I want to use. The draw of being a scholar is shielding people. If I want direct heals, I'll just play WHM, which I've already got at 40.

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    1. Jobs are essentially old school D&D prestige classes. SCH and SMN abilities are basically an extra layer on top of ACN. So, when you level synch, you'll have whatever abilities you would normally have at that level. For Satasha, you'd essentially be a level 15-16 ACN with a soulstone. Your icon will show SCH/SMN, but you'll just have access to ACN abilities.

Not sure about the other two.

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Hit level 15 on my Thaumaturge. Pretty fun so far. Probably going to buy the base game soon and upgrade to collector later when I have a bit more money to spare.

The crafting system sounds pretty overwhelming though. Should I already start the crafting stuff or should I wait?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    Stragint wrote: »
    Hit level 15 on my Thaumaturge. Pretty fun so far. Probably going to buy the base game soon and upgrade to collector later when I have a bit more money to spare.

The crafting system sounds pretty overwhelming though. Should I already start the crafting stuff or should I wait?

The crafting system is a game in and of itself. You can definitely try it out and mess around with it but be careful it is a very deep chasm :D

Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Pre-Vault spoilers
    I am in love with Hilda's outfit.

And her voice.

I wish to be cradled in her voice forever.

IKknkhU.gif
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Speaking of crafting, I just swung over to Alchemist.

...Yes, this can be a very deep hole to fall into. Also a very expensive one. Missing three 70% chances in a row suuucks.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Ianator wrote: »
    Speaking of crafting, I just swung over to Alchemist.

...Yes, this can be a very deep hole to fall into. Also a very expensive one. Missing three 70% chances in a row suuucks.

Y ou may not have the basic tools to craft yet. Once you get hold of them, completing crafts is fairly simple. HQ'ing them with any degree of reliability or certainty is the challenge

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    And of course two of the more important skills (Hasty Touch and Steady Hand II) is held hostage by culinary.

• AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    Does alchemist produce anything of quality?

Because as a potion factory, it's garbage.

Astale wrote: »
    Does alchemist produce anything of quality?

Because as a potion factory, it's garbage.

Potions and a few weapons. Potions are used quite a lot and are a pretty steady income provided you are talking the higher tier stuff and not like hi-potions and such.

It's a niche craft to be sure but the stuff it does make can be pretty consistent profit wise.

delphinidaes.png
  • Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    Arcanists need alchemy for their books, and conjurers get their one-handed weapons from it.

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    1. Jobs are essentially old school D&D prestige classes. SCH and SMN abilities are basically an extra layer on top of ACN. So, when you level synch, you'll have whatever abilities you would normally have at that level. For Satasha, you'd essentially be a level 15-16 ACN with a soulstone. Your icon will show SCH/SMN, but you'll just have access to ACN abilities.

Not sure about the other two.

"Old-school D&D" he says talking about third-edition. When I started playing classes had race & level restrictions and we liked it! Feats were what gully dwarves walked around on and you made saving throws vs. death if you made saving throws at all!

italianranma on
    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Level 34 White Mage.

Logged in, decided to do a Low Level Roulette to warm up before I take on Titan for the first time. Get Ifrit. Whole party is new to the fight, we wipe 5 times until I learn I need to actually shout NAIL in party chat to get them to deeps it down in time. We finally get it down, party still wipes at 30% from the ground lava spots, except for me.

I was willing to accept the wipe and try again, but they're cheering me on telling me "Go Sajha you got this!" while I'm like "AHHH NO I DON'T GOT THIS"

5 minutes later, I have solo'd a fucking god from 30% to zero, my party cheering me on the whole time rather than telling me I'm a huge asshole for trying to solo it. Commendations from everyone. I love this game's community.
    I'm reminded of this:

https://youtu.be/bB_MAO5yPw8

sig.gif
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Welp, that was the first time I've been accused of being toxic in FFXIV. Which I guess consists of telling the other healer what to do repeatedly because he never actually does what he's supposed to do (namely, the healer rotation + cross in Ifrit Ex).

Stabbity_Style.png
This discussion has been closed.