As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV] Old HW launch thread

1939495969799»

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    I love how the White Mage in that video goes through the trouble of kiting Ifrit around for like 7 minutes to get the three bar limit break up and rez EVERYONE... only for the other healer to just die like an idiot a couple of seconds later.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    Welp, that was the first time I've been accused of being toxic in FFXIV. Which I guess consists of telling the other healer what to do repeatedly because he never actually does what he's supposed to do (namely, the healer rotation + cross in Ifrit Ex).

yyZWp4D.jpg

FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    1. Jobs are essentially old school D&D prestige classes. SCH and SMN abilities are basically an extra layer on top of ACN. So, when you level synch, you'll have whatever abilities you would normally have at that level. For Satasha, you'd essentially be a level 15-16 ACN with a soulstone. Your icon will show SCH/SMN, but you'll just have access to ACN abilities.

Not sure about the other two.

Which does unfortunate things for the new jobs in low level dungeon roulette. They obviously thought about it because the new jobs have abilities starting at level 1 (even though they don't start till 30), but I wish they'd considered what playing an Astrologian in low level content without Draw would be like. It's...a bit dull.

It also makes some of the Traits kind of laughable. "Enhanced Lightspeed" at level 16 reduces the penalty on Lightspeed. Except since it's impossible to level sync below 16 (to the extent that it would ever matter), you never actually experience Lightspeed in the -50% potency state. Which means it's a trait that does nothing and has no reason to exist. I'm sure they could have come up with something else.

Grundlestiltskin on
    3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Alright guys, more Scholar/Summoner talk.

Do Scholar/Summoner level simultaneously since they both share ACN as their base class, and the XP actually goes into ACN, not into the job crystal? If that's the case, wouldn't it behoove me to learn both at once, and spend my time "out in the world" as a Summoner, and complete the hunt log, do FATEs, Leves, and other outdoor activities as a Summoner, and then run Scholar for Guildhests, Dungeons, and random Duty Roulettes?

And then I would just need to keep up with both sets of class quests, which should be easy since both are in La Noscea and also just because I typically have need of "filler" XP after completing a class quest anyway.

Also, back on the topic of stat allocation - this one didn't get answered on the previous page. If I want to maintain both Scholar and Summoner, is that possible? Is it better to put my stat allocations into Mind or Intellect?

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Alright guys, more Scholar/Summoner talk.

Do Scholar/Summoner level simultaneously since they both share ACN as their base class, and the XP actually goes into ACN, not into the job crystal? If that's the case, wouldn't it behoove me to learn both at once, and spend my time "out in the world" as a Summoner, and complete the hunt log, do FATEs, Leves, and other outdoor activities as a Summoner, and then run Scholar for Guildhests, Dungeons, and random Duty Roulettes?

And then I would just need to keep up with both sets of class quests, which should be easy since both are in La Noscea and also just because I typically have need of "filler" XP after completing a class quest anyway.

Also, back on the topic of stat allocation - this one didn't get answered on the previous page. If I want to maintain both Scholar and Summoner, is that possible? Is it better to put my stat allocations into Mind or Intellect?

You gain experience for ACN, and SMN/SCH level at the same time. You would need to do the job quests for both and also gear both, since they'd use different gear sets, but yeah - you'd only have to level one.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    1. Jobs are essentially old school D&D prestige classes. SCH and SMN abilities are basically an extra layer on top of ACN. So, when you level synch, you'll have whatever abilities you would normally have at that level. For Satasha, you'd essentially be a level 15-16 ACN with a soulstone. Your icon will show SCH/SMN, but you'll just have access to ACN abilities.

Which does unfortunate things for the new jobs in low level dungeon roulette. They obviously thought about it because the new jobs have abilities starting at level 1 (even though they don't start till 30), but I wish they'd considered what playing an Astrologian in low level content without Draw would be like. It's...a bit dull.

It also makes some of the Traits kind of laughable. "Enhanced Lightspeed" at level 16 reduces the penalty on Lightspeed. Except since it's impossible to level sync below 16 (to the extent that it would ever matter), you never actually experience Lightspeed in the -50% potency state. Which means it's a trait that does nothing and has no reason to exist. I'm sure they could have come up with something else.

I think you can actually sync down to about 9 in sine if the lowest level FATEs.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

I think you can actually sync down to about 9 in some of the lowest level FATEs.

Right, so to the extent that it matters essentially never. Lightspeed has its own problems though.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
This discussion has been closed.