As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Oh, the Rock Island Line is a mighty fine road! [knit-along]

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    So what I ended up doing was carefully pulling back to a good row, and then following the yarn through the next row down with a lifeline. I managed to save most of the seventh repeat, and knitted back up to the end of it before replacing the lifeline there.

I really doubt it looks perfect to the trained eye, but I'm hoping I won't be able to tell the difference in the end.

For now.. one step forward and two back. *sigh*

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    You can doooo it! :D

If it's any consolation, this is easily the hardest section

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I'm not going to lie, this is really tough. I've never done any serious knitting or even finished more than a few rows of a single project, and this is starting to feel impossible.

I guess it's comforting to know that this is the hardest bit. If I can just get through it I can move on to some easier stuff.

• Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    This is a really, REALLY, hard piece of knitting. When you knit cables, you can at least see what you're doing and figure out what's going on. And you can stop whenever you feel like it-even mid row- without potentially ruining everything. You can't do either of those with lace, and it's really frustrating.

I finished repeat 46 today, and I'm still frogging down to my life line every other repeat. It's maddening.

• Options
    I'm knitted one up to 8 so that I can go to bed not feeling awful about it. I also learned that I can make do if I need to go down past my lifeline as long as I'm careful, so hopefully that's worthwhile experience.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Oh god, I need some troubleshooting advice. I was making good progress on the Beginner Scarf, but seem to have fucked up in the last row or two and now I have 26 stitches instead of a round 24.

Any idea how to salvage this?
    20150704_110757.jpg

1436022608840.jpg

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    I can see the mistake, it's only a few rows down. Can you unravel to that point?

• Options
    ceres wrote: »
    I can see the mistake, it's only a few rows down. Can you unravel to that point?

I can probably try, but I'm not sure how to unravel/return to those original loops (I haven't had to do that before). Is there a particularly good guide?

Steam
  • Options
    Here's a guide to tinking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBAK3BtEEPE

A guide on how to put in a lifeline after the fact:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae7pobnLKGQ

I would recommend going back (again, you can't fix it by going vertical, since you probably inserted a YO at that point)

signature.png
  • Options
    I wish there was a guide for how to do those things with YOs.

• Options
    Thanks, @Ceres and @SilverWind! The other issue is - I'm not sure I can recognize exactly where the mistake stitch is. Would you mind pointing it out to me?

Steam
  • Options
    I *think* it's here:

w8qr4qypo0vw.jpg

I could be wrong though.

• Options
    Picked up the stitches of the edging and I'm oooon myyyy waaaaaay~

It's always a relief to start this section since you can confirm that you YO'd the appropriate number of times (I always count the stitches something like four times, just to be safe)

signature.png
  • Options
    Just finished my 11th repeat so I'm officially 1/7th of the way there.. it is getting faster, and I have to rip back to my lifeline if I'm not paying rapt attention (and sometimes even if I am), but hopefully it won't be too much longer.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    I've made zero progress lately, my concentration is crap and that's no bueno for a pattern this complicated

I'll get back on the wagon eventually but don't hold up on my account!

• Options
    @Usagi It's you and me, baby

• Options
    Annnnnnd now I have "Banditos" stuck in my head.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    @Usagi It's you and me, baby

I am totes okay with that <3

• Options
    51 repeats. I'll get there eventually. Although I'm dreading trying to translate the Rock Island chart into stitches.

• Options
    I'll be reaching it soon, and translating it into a written pattern. I'll send it over once I do!

signature.png
  • Options
    That would be fantastic. Thank you so much!

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I wish I'd translated it myself rather than reading the chart.

It's much simpler than it looks, trust me.

Yay for 51 repeats!

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Okay if you guys are moving on I am going to have to insist upon some pictures.

• Options
    I'm not particularly far! I've finally reached the heels of my sock project, so I'm really trying to finish that off. But the needles for the sock project are so small (ugh, 2.25 mm) that my fingers are aching. :P I'll knit more of the shawl tonight.

But yeah, I'll stealthily take a photo of shawl progress during lunch. :D

signature.png
  • Options
    N4TaVP4.jpg?2

Cubicle wall to the rescue!

The giant Os are the yos I've picked up, and I'm in the largely garter stitch portion before the 'rock island' chart.

When blocking at the end of this project, you'll be wanting to place the pins (or if you have blocking wires, go with that) where I've got the pushpins right now (at each V).

signature.png
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    You asked for a picture so here goes.

KA9KKWa.jpg

Edit: if you look at the right side of the Rock Island pattern, about halfway up, you can see some weird little S curves where I messed up somehow and didn't notice till much later so I'm leaving it.

knitdan on
  • Options
    knitdan those are really not noticeable.

I've been doing a row here and there when I get to sit down instead of waiting for the time to do a whole repeat. My progress for the past two days has been -2 rows. :P

• Options
    edited July 2015
    The great rock island transcribing is halfway done...

It's actually a lot more elegant in writing than in chart form, I feel! For instance:

k2, k2tog, (yo, ssk, k1, k2tog, yo, k1) twenty-one times, yo, ssk, [sk2p], k2tog, yo, (k1, yo, ssk, k1, k2tog, yo) twenty-one times, ssk, k2

With the square bracket being the centre. You can see how the two sides mirror each other. And what in the chart is seventeen repeats is actually twenty-one for this row!

Edit: It's now complete. Anyone (who has bought the pattern) and wants the written instructions, just let me know.

SilverWind on
    signature.png
  • Options
    I just finished my 15th repeat! That's not impressive.

I'm proud of myself anyway because I had the wrong number of stitches at the end of the 7th row, and actually successfully tinked back and fixed the mistake instead of tearing the whole repeat out and starting over. It was just a k2tog row, but that's still the most successful I've ever been with it for this project.

SilverWind, I would definitely take a copy of that transcription.

• Options
    I'm on row 8 of 24 in the rock island chart, and this part is always so lovely to knit. Every half a row I check back and make sure the stitches are correct, because to tink back two (or more???) rows of nearly 300 stitches each is painful. Which happened on row 3 because something on Netflix was apparently way too interesting for me to remember a YO somewheres...

signature.png
  • Options
    Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Do you use lifelines on that part?

• Options
    I've never been good with lifelines! So I avoid them. But you certainly could in this section.

It's also not hard to check back on the work though, as it's a repetitive pattern of six stitches each row. So you can glance at it very quickly to see if the stitches look like... | \ O | O / | \ O | O / | \ O | O / | :D

signature.png
  • Options
    Done!

Zt8wyQe.jpg

• Options
    Sooooooo gorgeous *~*

Well done!

signature.png
  • Options
    Completely done? :O

• Options
    Yep. Blocked it last night (god I hate blocking but it's almost required for lace). Now I get to finish a different project, then maybe come back and finish the 2nd rock island I've got on needles.

• Options
    O_O

Save the second one for us!

• Options
    Don't worry. I'm in "finish up projects for the county fair" mode. A few little projects, as well as some I set aside months ago and finally got the drive to pick back up again. So it'll be awhile before I get back to the 2nd shawl.

• Options
    How's everyone doing this lovely weekend? :D

I'm on row 17 of the rock island chart. I may try to finish the chart tonight.

signature.png
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I finished the 19th repeat last night. I don't get much of a chance to work on it but I'm definitely picking up speed when I do. I also haven't had to go back to my lifeline for quite a while!

The Rock Island bit scares the hell out of me though. :P

ceres on