As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - The Customer

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited June 2015 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - The Customer

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    KentigurnKentigurn Registered User regular
    Funny, but I wished they had kept up the monsters under the bed thing.

• Options
    Robotic DraconianRobotic Draconian Registered User regular
    First: the idea that Batman has a smartphone is hilarious to me.
    Secondly: why no more Monsters Under the Bed?

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Is this just a combination comic on the new batman games and car services, or is there actually a crossover them in games or something? Like, Redbull gives you Destiny wings, but Batman legit uses Uber?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Is this just a combination comic on the new batman games and car services, or is there actually a crossover them in games or something?

The former.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I must be old and out of touch. I have no idea what an Uber is, and I was totally lost on the joke of this comic.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    Uber and Lyft are two crowdsourced taxi apps. Basically, you can register your car with them, hash out times when you're available, and if somebody in the area needs a ride you get notified (and paid.)

They also have some pretty sketchy history associated with them.

• Options
    Finnish_LineFinnish_Line Registered User regular
    I have no idea what a "Batman" is. Joke lost. Must be gettin' old. :P

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    mRahmani wrote: »
    Uber and Lyft are two crowdsourced taxi apps. Basically, you can register your car with them, hash out times when you're available, and if somebody in the area needs a ride you get notified (and paid.)

Sketchy story? Man I did not know this. I had to use the service last week since I crashed my car and it seemed fine.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I must be old and out of touch. I have no idea what an Uber is, and I was totally lost on the joke of this comic.

It's an alternative to taxis. It's topical because many actual taxi drivers hate it (undercuts their business, doesn't require licenses, etc), and in France where they're striking/protesting the service (which was declared illegal in France), Courtney Love happened to live tweet Taxi drivers attacking one with her inside.

Uber also liked(s?) to exploit emergencies with "surge pricing" here in the states too.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    mRahmani wrote: »

Sketchy story? Man I did not know this. I had to use the service last week since I crashed my car and it seemed fine.

I don't think it's really any sketchier than the alternative. I mean, if we're talking about crimes/shitty behavior by Uber drivers I'm sure I could find stories reporting just as much by taxi drivers if I bothered to Google for 10 minutes. It's just that traditional taxi services have been around long enough that we don't associate individual incidents where bad things happen with the whole profession/industry, whereas Uber is a new thing.

There are scumbag [Uber drivers/taxi drivers], there are incompetent [Uber drivers/taxi drivers], there are [Uber drivers/taxi drivers] who are perfectly pleasant and good at what they do (the overwhelming majority in both cases is probably in the last category).

The established taxi industry hates services like Uber/Lyft though because they are a threat to their whole business, no question. But the taxi industry is pretty jacked up in a lot of places and was begging for something to shake it up. The "taxi medallion" system in New York City, for example, can best be described as "Kafkaesque," as you'll see if you're ever bored enough to read some articles about it.

As for the taxi drivers in France: I understand them being freaked about the potential threat to their livelihood. What I guess I don't understand, is why when you have a new competitor for customers for the service you provide, your response is to "protest" by shutting down your service, rioting, and generally alienating all of the customers you're already worried about losing. Why not raise your game to compete? Well, because they don't want to compete, and they're hoping if they make enough fuss the government will shut the competition down so they don't have to.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Uber's controvesy is pretty much all about their approach to local laws and regulations, competition and criticism. Much like Amazon/Wallwart, as a consumer you're still getting an excellent service, the question is if you care enough about the morals of the company behind the service to let that affect your user decision.

That and you should be aware that if your Uber driver crashes and turns out to be uninsured for business use, Uber's response will be a big fat 'not our problem'.

There's a big thread in Debate and Discourse about it.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    zaitcevzaitcev Registered User regular
    As long as the guy in the comic does not have a firearm (loaded or unloaded; on his person or in his luggage), he should be fine in either Uber or Lyft.

• Options
    MusicMusic Registered User regular
    Does anybody know what secret in Arkham Knight Tycho is talking about in the news post that accompanies this comic? He's so vague he might as well just have not brought it up at all.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Music wrote: »
    Does anybody know what secret in Arkham Knight Tycho is talking about in the news post that accompanies this comic? He's so vague he might as well just have not brought it up at all.

Arkham Knight first 3 hours spoilers
    The secret is that Joker is in the game and voiced by Mark Hamill and plays a big part as a constant hallucination chastising Batman.
    The other secret he's talking about is Arkham Knight's identity, which is not as interesting as the twist that Joker plays a huge part.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    re spoiler:
    EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

that is all, back to topic.

• Options
    Giancarlo MagnoGiancarlo Magno Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    In my PC, this comic strip has no anti-aliasing, tessellation, depth of field and is capped to 30 FPS. You guys should take it out until it's fixed.

Giancarlo Magno on
  • Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    I was at a conference in Washington D.C. last summer and our whole group used Uber to travel back and forth between the hotel and the site of the conference. I have to admit it seemed much more convenient at the time because you could go on your phone and set up a ride rather than go out on the street to try and flag down a taxi.

Then again, for all I know, maybe the taxi companies in D.C. have apps where you can request a ride too. I didn't personally set up any of the Uber rides since the phone I had at the time couldn't run the Uber app, but as someone who was "along for the ride" it wasn't a bad experience. We had nice drivers who didn't drive any crazier than everyone else in D.C....which isn't saying much. ;)

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I have no idea what a "Batman" is. Joke lost. Must be gettin' old. :P

He fights crime in a bat suit.
    His parents are dead.

• Options
    ImNotAnAthleteImNotAnAthlete Registered User regular
    Batman's a dick. He has a car! Maybe he didn't want blood on the leather?

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    Batman's a dick. He has a car! Maybe he didn't want blood on the leather?

Considering how much the Batmobile must have costed him, I can't blame him.

• Options
    Bogey1388Bogey1388 Registered User new member
    I read this in Kevin Conroy's voice. Absolutely hilarious.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2015
    zaitcev wrote: »
    As long as the guy in the comic does not have a firearm (loaded or unloaded; on his person or in his luggage), he should be fine in either Uber or Lyft.
    Yeah but this is Gotham, so the chances of that are nil.

In fact, there's a good chance he's get picked up by the crowdsourced taxi supervillain, the Ubermensch.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Why not raise your game to compete? Well, because they don't want to compete, and they're hoping if they make enough fuss the government will shut the competition down so they don't have to.

Well, to be fair, traditional licensed taxi services cannot compete with Uber/Lyft type services on a level ground.

By definition, the new crowdsourced services are cutting out a huge amount of administrative overhead costs that the traditional services simply cannot (legally) eliminate. That's not fair competition.

I mean, if you opened a bar, paid for a liquor license, county/city/town/etc taxes and inspections - then a speakeasy opened up across the street from you selling drinks for 60% of your bottom price because they didn't pay to go through the legal process; would you be totally okay with that?

OTOH, most taxi medallion/licensing systems aren't exactly, shall we say, open and fair competition either, so it's not entirely black and white.

• Options
    GreathouseGreathouse That's my name AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    First: the idea that Batman has a smartphone is hilarious to me.
    Secondly: why no more Monsters Under the Bed?

Is Batman's smart phone an iphone? Second, more monsters under the bed.

Greathouse on