As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Formula One & motorsport] Round 16, Russia: In Soviet Russia, V12 drives you!

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Grid positions:
    ekwog9pr1v2p.png

Also, Codemasters have revealed a new batch of F1 2015 screenshots.

• altidaltid Registered User regular
    Have to wonder if this was the last quali session that makes any sense. Enough people are bordering engine penalties that it's bound to get silly soon.

edited June 2015
    altid wrote: »
    Have to wonder if this was the last quali session that makes any sense. Enough people are bordering engine penalties that it's bound to get silly soon.

The Renault-engined cars especially; but Honda are right with them and I suspect the Ferrari engines are going to go over the alloted four by the end of the year. The Merc engines? That's a little more up in the air. But yeah, I think you're absolutely right.

EDIT: Especially because they get substantial penalties for any of the six main engine elements, not just entire engines.

Jazz on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    That was a surprisingly boring GP for Canada. Fun to see Vettel tearing up the field, but pretty much the highlights were Maldonado finishing a goddamn race and that groundhog that got lost and wandered onto the track.

Sad to see Raikkonen totally fuck up L'Epingle.

5HyRUr9.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/33042864 (video apparently for UK viewers)

• oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    Hulkenberg won Le Mans today, becoming the first active F1 driver to win in 24 years. Impressive! Mark Webber finished second and a lap back.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    qualifying:
    Rosberg and Hamilton and that last corner!

honovere wrote: »
    qualifying:
    Rosberg and Hamilton and that last corner!
    Epic skid marks. Wait, that sounds wrong.

Kimi blamed the team for his Q1 exit. The plan changed, he wasn't informed (!) and he was under the impression he had time for another lap. Angry Kimi was angry. Fully expecting him to charge like hell tomorrow if something else untoward doesn't happen.

Ricciardo and Alonso to start at the back after penalties. Button to start at the Nurburgring. Fuck's sake, the poor guy's body language said it all. Suzi Perry illustrated it very well when she said Ricciardo to start 24th, McLarens to start 40th and 42nd.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Race:
    This weekend really sucks for Kimi, but looking at the replays that crash could have been a lot worse for him.

• XrddXrdd Registered User regular
    Apart from a very few very brief exciting moments, that was a dreadfully boring race. Again. Get your shit together, F1 - you're supposed to be the pinnacle of motorsport, not the fourth most exciting series I follow.

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Xrdd wrote: »
    Apart from a very few very brief exciting moments, that was a dreadfully boring race. Again. Get your shit together, F1 - you're supposed to be the pinnacle of motorsport, not the fourth most exciting series I follow.

This is what F1 has been like for as long as I can remember. It has always been the pinnacle of motorsport technology, and has always had the best drivers, but it has rarely been home to the best racing. That title goes to BTCC, and to a lesser extent NASCAR, because they take steps to equalize the cars performance. When you remove the advantage a better machine gives a driver it leads to better racing, but it's hard to call it the pinnacle of motorsport then.

honovere wrote: »
    Race:
    This weekend really sucks for Kimi, but looking at the replays that crash could have been a lot worse for him.

Race:
    That could've been much, much worse. Glad Kimi and Fernando were alright.

Surprisingly good day for Maldonado, who provided a lot of what other entertainment there was.

Veevee wrote: »

This is what F1 has been like for as long as I can remember. It has always been the pinnacle of motorsport technology, and has always had the best drivers, but it has rarely been home to the best racing. That title goes to BTCC, and to a lesser extent NASCAR, because they take steps to equalize the cars performance. When you remove the advantage a better machine gives a driver it leads to better racing, but it's hard to call it the pinnacle of motorsport then.

I can't remember the last time it's been this predictable. This is getting worse than the Schumacher domination now. Just a few years ago F1 had very good, close racing without any artificial equalization.

Advanced technology and competitive racing don't have to be mutually exclusive, either - just look at the WEC.

I found myself wistfully recalling 2012 earlier on. Not so very long ago. Seven winners in the first seven races was the big story, of course.

But this year something seems lacking even compared to last year.

It's funny. On the face of it, this race had a lot.

An absolutely almighty shunt, some good wheel-to-wheel scraps and overtakes, the sometimes-elusive-if-you-aren't-McLaren-Honda reliability problems, some noticable screw-ups by drivers and pit crews...

...yet still it all felt a bit dull as dishwater for at least half the time. Now, F1 Rewind on the BBC, where Murray Walker looks back on classic races, is reminding me how F1 used to be. And, on paper, it's not dissimilar. But it's thrilling, still, even accounting for these being the great races and not the run-of-the-mill ones of the era. To mix metaphors a bit, it's like gladiators jousting. It's not even just the danger aspect...

we saw enough of that today in that crash...

...or tyre/fuel management because that's always been a part of it, which we often forget. And I admit I'm having trouble putting my finger on it. It's got to be a combination of quite a few factors.

Goddamn Pastor Maldonado that race.

It may be time to stop making fun of him.

Khavall wrote: »
    Goddamn Pastor Maldonado that race.

It may be time to stop making fun of him.
    Every so often he's a really, really good racing driver.

Unfortunately it seems to happen about twice a season. But when it does, he's great to watch.

• FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    I don't know what they can do, but I wish they would try and do something to even up the field for this season.

It's getting real boring knowing that one of two guys is going to win, and Rosberg/Hamilton aren't even really dueling anymore. One gets ahead early and it stays that way.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
    edited June 2015
    It's almost like there's more "tiers" of teams now. It wasn't so long ago you had the leading teams, the midfielders, and the what-were-once-called "the new teams" (Caterham, Marussia/Virgin, HRT) at the back. Each of those three groups was at least scrapping it out with whoever else was in that group.

Now it's like there's eight or nine tiers. Which, when you only have ten teams, is a bit crappy. I'm trying to think who's actually on a genuine level with anyone else and all I can come up with is Red Bull and Toro Rosso, crazily enough. I mean, yeah, the midfield rankings in the constructor's championship are really close on paper, but that doesn't really add to the thrill on the Sunday afternoon...

Anyway, in brighter news, here's a race in F1 2015 (the forthcoming game) on the revamped Mexico City track. Direct capture video, no less!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMEWfWBKuh0

BRING BACK THE BLOODY GRAVEL TRAPS. Bloody hell.

Also here's Montreal in the rain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rpz5GLNCIg

Jazz on
    edited June 2015
    No F1 this weekend, but still rather spoilt for choice with the BTCC at Croft and Formula E (with its substantial number of ex-F1 drivers and current F1 reserve drivers) in London.

EDIT: Blimey, that was an epic FE race. Right down to the wire. Brilliant.

Jazz on
    Enforcing not running over the outside line at Copse (turn 9) catching a few guys out in qualifying at Silverstone.

And apparently David Coulthard being reprimanded by fans over social media for using the term "tank-slapper".

It's a funny old weekend already.

edited July 2015

Almost starting to feel sorry for Alonso by now.

Sainz made Verstappen look pretty bad today, hopefully he'll start getting the recognition he deserves soon.

Xrdd on

Sainz made Verstappen look pretty bad today, hopefully he'll start getting the recognition he deserves soon.
    Verstappen was not in a good place today. Not sure what was going on.

McLaren situation is devolving beyond farce. Button and Alonso both deserve so much better than this nightmare.

Jazz wrote: »

McLaren situation is devolving beyond farce. Button and Alonso both deserve so much better than this nightmare.
    McLaren are getting away with just a reprimand for the tire screw-up. I think the stewards might be taking pity on them.

Jazz wrote: »

McLaren are getting away with just a reprimand for the tire screw-up. I think the stewards might be taking pity on them.
    Meh, not like it would of mattered much to lose 3 grid spots, he would just be behind the Marussias, and then overtake them in all of half a lap at most

Hamilton was good, but felt like he got a bit lucky. I wonder if his start will still be crap tomorrow?
    Interesting to see Williams ahead of Ferrari, should make for an interesting fight.
    Honda are still crap, what else can be said for them?

altid wrote: »
    Hamilton was good, but felt like he got a bit lucky. I wonder if his start will still be crap tomorrow?
    Interesting to see Williams ahead of Ferrari, should make for an interesting fight.
    Honda are still crap, what else can be said for them?
    Williams vs Ferrari definitely promises to be good times tomorrow.

edited July 2015
    Autosport: Aston Martin in F1 talks with Red Bull over Mercedes engine deal
    Aston Martin is negotiating a shock return to Formula 1 in a tie-up with Red Bull for next season that would bring the team Mercedes engines.

In a deal that is currently still under negotiation, Aston Martin would become brand partner with four-time world champion team Red Bull Racing in exchange for brokering a deal for it to run the dominant Mercedes F1 engine.

It sounds crazy but Autosport is usually pretty reliable, so I'm not sure what to make of this. If it does happen, it would probably mean that Renault either leave the sport or return as a proper team. The latter is much less likely imho but there have been rumors about them considering buying TR or Lotus (again) for a while now...

EDIT: Actually, I'm pretty sure Merc wouldn't be allowed to supply any additional teams, so this would only work if someone else loses their Merc engine deal. Maybe Lotus will be turning back into Renault after all?

Xrdd on
    Crazier things have happened. And yes, Autosport is generally reliable.

That would certainly shake things up a bit!

I could see that happening, teams have been very very unhappy with Renault engines this year.

They somehow seemed to of made a power unit that is worse then last years, not really how they managed that.

edited July 2015
    Yeah, last year's Renault lump was at least functional. Hell, it won three races in Danny Ric's car. That's three more than Ferrari managed.

This year? They're just glad that Honda's there so that they aren't the butt of everyone's jokes. Merc's engine seems as good as last year's based on how the other teams running it are going, Ferrari's is a clear step up from last year and nipping at Merc's heels at times, then there's this wide open gulf before we get to Renault and eventually Honda. And Honda at least have an excuse, flimsy though it might be.

Remember when there were all sorts of engine suppliers? Ford, Judd, Cosworth, Yamaha, BMW, even Peugeot and Lamborghini used to get in on the action. Renault and Honda were more often than not the class of the field back then, too. I know the engine manufacturers now say that the hybrid turbo V6 formula is the only way they'd stay in F1, because of its relevance to road cars, but I do kind of wonder if going back to a more relaxed set of engine regs (like when V8, V10 and V12 engines could all be found on the grid at the same time, or going back even further, when you had mad things like turbo'd I4 engines and the infamous BRM 1.5 litre V16 and H16) might encourage more engine manufacturers to get involved if they could make something that was competitive or close to it, but with simpler tech. More than likely that ship has long since sailed, though.

Jazz on
    If I'm not mistaken, back then if someone did something novel you could copy it and work it into your own engine (eventually). Or at the very least change your engine until it worked. I'm really not a fan of how the current regulations entrench performance advantages and disadvantages, and it could get worse as they freeze development further.

I would be a fan of relaxed engine rules.

I'd just have a few rules like Max HP, Max Torque, battery size, and a fuel tank size limit. Then let the teams figure out what they think is best combination of piston size, number of pistons, turbos, super chargers, etc.

but that would probably benefit the bigger teams way too much and increase engine costs through the roof.

• evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    I think setting the four engine limit and such restricted development in only the second year of a ridiculously complicated engine formula was waaaaay too ambitious.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

edited July 2015
    Well, that was a bit more entertaining than I expected. Depressingly predictable outcome at the end, though, at least as far as the podium is concerned. Williams really screwed up their strategy.

EDIT: And it looks like the Aston Martin - RB - Merc rumours were rubbish after all.

Xrdd on
    edited July 2015
    Race
    That really was an amazing race. Hugely surprised at how quick Williams were off the line, although after a while it did become pretty clear that Bottas was quicker (and showed just how difficult passing is with the current regs). Williams made a bit of a mess in terms of strategy, allowing Hamilton to mug them in the pits and were just generally a mess at the end, but that's more or less down to being rubbish in the wet. On that note, Rosberg was almost a bit lucky in that the rain allowed him to get past the williams. If it had stayed dry it could have been a Merc-Wil-Wil podium.

Hamilton had an amazing race. Loved how he refused to give up 2nd off the start, and attacking Massa from the SC restart was a good idea, even if it didn't come off. A well executed undercut and pitting at the perfect time for inters really sealed his victory. And he got the gold trophy on the podium!

I'm still trying to figure out how Vettel ended on the podium. Seriously, he was down in 7th or 8th at one point. Kimi on the other hand had a race that could be described as "good start, crap finish". He did get a bit unlucky in that his second stop was timed just as rain was starting to fall lightly. At that point you're faced with either inters and hope the rain picks up quickly (which it didn't), slicks and have to pit again in about 5 laps when it does or stay out on fading tyres.

Don't know who it was caused the lap 1 crash, but losing Button was a shame. On the up side, Alonso got a point!

altid on
    That was the most entertaining race for the most boring podium

edited July 2015
    With the screwy schedule this year, and the loss of Germany, meaning we've got one race in the next six weeks, F1 2015 came out at the exact right time. My early impressions write-up is in the G&T Steam thread, but the tl;dr version is it handles brilliantly, I'm liking it a lot despite all the other things it's missing, and a lot of people are having bug problems, at least on PC. Hopefully console players are faring better.

Also, fuck Hermann Tilke for what he's done to Peraltada on the Mexico track, now I've driven it in the game. It's good to have Mexico back, and as Tilkedromes go it's not dreadful because of course it's a reworked existing track, but it's not the classic track it once was. Turning that terrifying 180-degree awesomeness into a Mickey Mouse stadium section... hopefully the racing gods never let that man get his hands on Spa...

I bet at the actual race there'll be all sort of driver interviews, "what do you think of the track? Especially the last bit?", and they'll all be like, "it's cool, the straight is nice, the esses are still fun, the atmosphere's good", and I'm crying out for someone, anyone to break ranks, and do a James Hunt or a Mark Webber (probably F1's last straight-talker) and say "that last bit is shit".

Double points if Perez says it.

Honestly, it's not totally shit on its own merits, fair enough, but it's destroyed a truly classic corner and just isn't as good. But that's so often the way with track redesigns. I like the new Silverstone well enough, but it lost the amazing Bridge and kept crappy Luffield. And then there's Hockenheim... fine, build that new section, but why the hell did they have to actually dig up the old forest section? Not least because that means nature reclaims the Jim Clark memorial, which is just sad.

Jazz on
    The FIA have adjusted the superlicense points system:

uHjuSNk.jpg

IMO, this still has some pretty huge problems. The worst thing by far is the amount of points for European F3, which has had atrocious driving standards this season and has drivers nowhere near ready for F1. FR3.5 is still significantly undervalued, as is DTM which should be worth a good bit more than WTCC.

Also the Formula E champion automatically gets a superlicense. Which is funny as hell when banned-for-life-from-F1 Nelson Piquet Jr just won it.

That whole points system is stupid and only exists because people got in a flap about Max Verstappen.

This discussion has been closed.