As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV:HW] Ye Olde Threade

• TakelTakel Registered User regular
    Elin wrote: »
    Emperor_Z wrote: »
    I ran into an unpleasant surprise just now as I exhausted my initial supply of ice shards. Is there a better way to get more, other than prying them out of the earth, one by one? My only idea is to pry something else out of the earth that's more valuable and sell them to buy more ice shards

You can make your retainer a miner and make them gather shards.

There are also abilities that increase the yield per hit as well, but yeah sometimes it can be a better idea to mine something more profitable and just buy shards from those who do gather them.

Yeap. In general, the time cost of the shards/crystals is far greater than most other sources of income. This also extends to some other common material such as alumen so it's really best to look around the market and find the best use of your time and just trade for the stuff you do need.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Don't forget that at every level you can find levequests that reward shards. Usually each quest will have three options; some crafting mat, 10ish shards, or 40 shards. I click through each category and cherry pick the more lucrative quests. Also, the rewards for each quest change with every turn in, so if you're not seeing what you want then try doing just one or two turn-ins and check again.

In other news I fucking crushed my JLPT exam. Tomorrow I'm off to Akihabara to pick up some games!

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    By making the flying requirements for every zone a lengthy, often tedious chore, they've basically guaranteed that you will always experience the same amount of satisfaction in unlocking that privilege.
    -snip-

Caaaaaaaaaake!

It's been one of the most satisfying feelings of accomplishment I've felt with a videogame in a long time.

Me every time I saw someone flying before I unlocked flying in that zone,

"You God damn elitist snobs rubbing your bullshit flying in my face!"

Me after I unlocked flying,

"MWHAHAHA! Gaze upon my glory you land bound plebs! Yes, yes take in the majesty of one who is your better!"

I actually really like the way they implemented flying and unlocking of same. As said, there's a sense of accomplishment in doing it. But also, by making a player scour the zone for the Aether Currents, one has already explored nearly the entire zone on foot by the time you unlock flying.

Getting all the currents in Sea of Clouds took me probably about half an hour because of how that zone is laid out. And when I got the last one, I just grinned real big and started flying around every which way. Just because I could.

I'm actually a little more annoyed with locking some currents behind sidequests that aren't a dungeon run. But I just did a quick internet search anytime I couldn't find a quest with an Aether Current reward.

steam_sig.png
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    joomanjii wrote: »
    I gave in and changed from Miqo'te to Au Ra.
    UmbkH2A.jpg

I think it was the right choice.

What chest piece is that? Please don't say hempen tunic...

• StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Story discussion, pre-Aery; major 2.55 and Heavensward spoilers.
    Seriously, big stuff ahead if you haven't gotten far into Heavensward.
    I knew they'd have to walk back the whole "player character is a fugitive accused of killing the Sultana" thing at some point, but it feels like they're kinda speedwalking it. The whole thing about the Sultana really being alive feels very offhanded: no, it's cool, she's just in a coma, and here's Lolorito to give you the antidote and say your names are cleared with basically no action on your part. It was Ilberd's idea to have Raubahn executed, the Crystal Braves have fucked off to who knows where, and all that's left is to clean up the mess at the Rising Stones.

I really hope it's not that simple, because that would be more than a little disappointing. 2.55 ended with a hell of a bang, and I feel like they're basically saying "just kidding."

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • joomanjiijoomanjii San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    UmbkH2A.jpg

The chest piece is the Valerian Fusilier's Gambison. It drops in Neverreap I think.

Final Fantasy XIV: Alethia Tamarie
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    is shukuchi one of those skills that only exists to kill newbies, because I tried to use it to hop over one of the mines on the second boss of vault and it still blew up on me and I was not happy

• korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    UmbkH2A.jpg

The chest piece is the Valerian Fusilier's Gambison. It drops in Neverreap I think.

I thought that one couldn't be dyed, being a green drop and all.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Except green drops can be dyed just fine?

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular
    Is there anything really good that I can buy for Immortal Flames seals that I might pick over Chocobo barding?

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Arthil wrote: »
    Except green drops can be dyed just fine?

Not all of them.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Emperor_Z wrote: »
    Is there anything really good that I can buy for Immortal Flames seals that I might pick over Chocobo barding?
    Crafting/gathering manuals, lower level gear for other jobs you might be leveling. Imho

• HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Alright, bought Heavensward and renewed my subscription; downloading the client now. By the time I get off work tomorrow morning, I should be all set for a 4 day binge. We're on Sargatanas right? That's where it looks like my highest level character is...

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Re: Seals, once I'm all set on company gear, I stock up on ventures, and more ventures

Making it rain for the retainers

Scooter on
  • joomanjiijoomanjii San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    UmbkH2A.jpg

I thought that one couldn't be dyed, being a green drop and all.

The chest piece isn't dyed. That is its natural color.

Final Fantasy XIV: Alethia Tamarie
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Handgimp wrote: »
    Alright, bought Heavensward and renewed my subscription; downloading the client now. By the time I get off work tomorrow morning, I should be all set for a 4 day binge. We're on Sargatanas right? That's where it looks like my highest level character is...

Yup!

--

Man, they really need to add some more level 40-50 quests to the game. The armory bonus doesn't mean much if there aren't enough quests to go around. I'm not expecting to gain 10 levels on quests alone, but I've cleared Central Coerthas of all its quests, and they maybe got me a level.

There are only so many FATEs and low level roulette one can do before you go insane, especially when you've already hit your challenge log thresholds and there's no hunting log to mess around with.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Levequests are quests.

reVerse wrote: »
    Levequests are quests.

They're dailies. At best. Honestly outside of the main story quest and class quests, questing in general in this game seems quite boring. WoW really has come a long way in its quest-making.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    i leveled as NIN to 50 as my second job pre-heavenward and i always had something I could do. it felt really fast compared to my first time around which was when fate grind was the only efficient method

Levequests are quests.

They're dailies. At best. Honestly outside of the main story quest and class quests, questing in general in this game seems quite boring. WoW really has come a long way in its quest-making.

Dailies are quests.

Cats and lions too share the same family, but are only comparable in certain aspects.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
    Levequests are quests.

And are as numbingly boring as FATEs. Each levequest giver has an array of, what, 6-8 possible tasks*? And you only get to pick 4 at a time, so there's plenty of repetition. And they have no story component to them.

*I haven't started crafting or gathering yet, so I can only speak for battlecraft leves.

I love the game, but progression from around 35-50 suffers from a lack of things to do after the first run.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Cats and lions too share the same family, but are only comparable in certain aspects.

Actually, they are comparable in a large number of aspects. So are quests and leve's. They both have story based objectives (sure, no one reads why you are doing whatever for levequests, but its there), both provide experience for completion, and at least you dont have to run back and forth across the zone for leve's.

Edit: Also, there are usually 2-3 camps providing the same level of leve quests, so you can jump from camp to camp to keep it fresh.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Levequests are quests.

And are as numbingly boring as FATEs. Each levequest giver has an array of, what, 6-8 possible tasks*? And you only get to pick 4 at a time, so there's plenty of repetition. And they have no story component to them.

*I haven't started crafting or gathering yet, so I can only speak for battlecraft leves.

I love the game, but progression from around 35-50 suffers from a lack of things to do after the first run.

Eh, they have as much story as most sidequests do. Kill this, collect that. The 40s have the beast tribe quests to add some variation, as well.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Man...I never got far in FF14 content so I ask you veterans. What's better for endgame content? Tank? Ranged DPS? Healers? Besides having all jobs to 50 I mean. I'd rather focus on one class but seeing that Alexander sneak peak...well I kinda want to try it out for a change.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Alexander Vid showed at Japan Fest in France has been uploaded to the FFXIV youtube.

Obviously spoilers for Alexander within.

https://youtu.be/2ZBTVjhKr5E

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Is there a good data base for armor sets? I want to see what the endgame stuff for the Black Mage looks like so I have something to really motivate myself.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • GreyWolfyGreyWolfy Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Is there a good data base for armor sets? I want to see what the endgame stuff for the Black Mage looks like so I have something to really motivate myself.

Eorzea Database and XIVdb are good places to go, both (sometimes) have in game screenshots of people wearing the gear, but Eorzea DB has a better looking interface and bigger icon picture

FFXIV: Rexus Kalev - Sargatanas
  • DrCongoDrCongo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2015
    So yeah, my two week trial is almost over and I quite like this here brand of digimal crack. Sent a message to @Tridus1x a couple days ago for a referral code but (s)he hasn't replied yet, and I'd really like to make my subscription ASAP. So, anyone want to throw a referral code my way?

EDIT: Getting one from Stabbity Style. Thanks SS!

DrCongo on
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    Sure, you can use mine: XK2G4273

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    DrCongo wrote: »
    So yeah, my two week trial is almost over and I quite like this here brand of digimal crack. Sent a message to @Tridus1x a couple days ago for a referral code but (s)he hasn't replied yet, and I'd really like to make my subscription ASAP. So, anyone want to throw a referral code my way?

Sent you a PM. Gotta do it by email.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    So I've seen that this card (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130932) is pretty highly recommended, but it's out of stock at newegg. While looking around, I found this one (http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Dual-Link-Graphics-02G-P4-2966-KR/dp/B00SC6HAS4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1436198970&sr=8-3&keywords=evga+gtx+760+2gb) on amazon, which has made it painfully obvious I don't know shit about generations or model numbers or specs.

I'm looking for a card that will run this game at 1080p 60fps. I've been watching hd youtube videos and they all look so silky smooth, and by comparison the game seems merely adequate on my screen.

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    If you have money to burn, go for a GTX 970. Just keep in mind that your CPU will also bottleneck your framerate (as in my case).

aTBDrQE.jpg
    Buy a PS4, it's cheaper and easier.

From Reddit, a picture of some of the Alexander sets. Spoilered just in case:
    4aB279Z.jpg

Sonofabitch, I'm gonna have to level a Ninja.

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    That is probably the Dark Soulsiest armor this game has put out yet.

• ZellpherZellpher Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    DAT.

AXE.
    is quite large and impressive.

Zellpher on
  • BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    That is probably the Dark Soulsiest armor this game has put out yet.

I don't believe this is a coincidence. The Vault gave me a distinct Anor Londo vibe.
    Complete with BS knight archers on ledges.

• BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    So, Alexander. I've never been involved in raiding stuff, is this a thing that i will need like an actual steady group for? Has there been word on ilvl requirements?
    I do not know how things work........

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I do believe Normal Mode is intended to be puggable.

This discussion has been closed.