As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Computer Build Thread] - What happens if I stick my screwdriver th- *bzzt*

19495969798100»

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's way overpriced

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I can't actually remember how much the power supply was, so I could be overestimating. The labour is indeed $150, the cooler added 50 to that. (all in CAD). I'm pretty sure I'm getting pounded, but I called 12 repair places and this was the only one that picked up the phone. There is a dearth of good repair stores in Montreal. I now know that there wasn't anything wrong with my build, so theoretically I could do the build myself. Practically though, I'm exhausted

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    I bet if any of us were close enough it'd be cheaper to take a train over and fix it. Start canvasing a map of PA people. NYC here unfortunately.

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Labor at $50/hr is not bizarre, especially if Tube is buying the board at basically online prices. Not sure what's up with that PSU price.

Price of labor is not solely determined by what the person doing the work at the table earns per hour.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    no, the PSU price specifically I mean.

A 600W Seasonic PSU on newegg is $60-80

What wattage was the PSU he was offering you? And what brand?

170 for an offbrand, underpowered PSU is likely where they're trying to make the money.

• Options
    I might actually be wrong on the price, and I'm probably paying more because I'm getting it straight from the box in store. I'm kind of paying the exhaustion tax at this point, because the computer has been out of commission for so long. I haven't been able to play any games for over three weeks. I got so bored this weekend I had to go hiking. Hiking.

• Options
    I'm so so sorry.

But seriously, yeah, that's a valid stance. If you got the money and you're just sick of it, just fuckin' pay the man to make it all work. I'll not lie and say I haven't done that before.

• Options
    I could have done some research and bought my own PSU, but I super wanted to be out of that shop knowing that it was going to start being worked on that day.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Microsoft is interested in buying AMD maybe, or maybe not.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/why-microsoft-buying-amd-would-be-a-bad-idea/

• Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Well that was a load off my mind.

I sound like a complete dick saying it... but the way the young guy at the UPS Store was looking at my GTX 970 retail box (which I had foolishly taken into the store unboxed, and wrapped in tape after I got there) kinda made me wonder if there wouldn't suddenly be some Funny Business once I dropped it off.

Called them just now to confirm that it had in fact been shipped... and realized Amazon gives you a tracking # with their returns, so I could've just gone online to make sure it'd been shipped as planned. It registered as 3.7 lbs and should arrive by tomorrow.

I mean, I guess there could still technically be Funny Business, but I'm sure there's some mechanism whereby I could resolve that, should it rear its ugly head. In any event, I'm sure it'll be fine.

#BourgeoisProblems

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Microsoft is interested in buying AMD maybe, or maybe not.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/why-microsoft-buying-amd-would-be-a-bad-idea/

I'd really like to see AMD get their act together, but I don't think Microsoft would be the company to do it.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    NEW THREAD TIME

geth, close the thread

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative Tube. Closing thread...

This discussion has been closed.