As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Comics News Thread V: All The News Unfit to Print

12346»

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    This is weird to read, because DC for the longest time was really good about creator rights, far above other companies.

This is just me pondering, but it's gotta be something permeating from the top down with Diane Nelson. Because Jim Lee for the longest time was the creator-turned-boss who was able to mediate these kinds of things, and Johns seems to be in a position to at least sway some minds to balance out this being a Didio thing (which I don't think it is, but something he'll gladly enforce).

I'd go further and argue it's a whole America/Workplace thing.

I'm a sociologist who studies labor, and that transition from protections to free-for-alls seems fairly descriptive of almost any labor sector these days. The last 40 years in just about every sector is a story of businesses and corporations finding new ways to exploit and undermine the rights of the productive, and this is an example of the changes. This is not necessarily Nelson, but Warner's as a whole stepping in and again realizing that they have something hearty to exploit.

And outside of that comment, I want to reiterate my love for Paul Levitz. That guy is a hero to creators' rights who doesn't get enough respect because he was 1. around too early, and 2. too entrenched in the for-hire system to be noticed.

• mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    This is weird to read, because DC for the longest time was really good about creator rights, far above other companies.

This is just me pondering, but it's gotta be something permeating from the top down with Diane Nelson. Because Jim Lee for the longest time was the creator-turned-boss who was able to mediate these kinds of things, and Johns seems to be in a position to at least sway some minds to balance out this being a Didio thing (which I don't think it is, but something he'll gladly enforce).

They were?
    screenrant.com/warner-bros-wins-superman-copyright-lawsuit/

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

I'd go further and argue it's a whole America/Workplace thing.

I'm a sociologist who studies labor, and that transition from protections to free-for-alls seems fairly descriptive of almost any labor sector these days. The last 40 years in just about every sector is a story of businesses and corporations finding new ways to exploit and undermine the rights of the productive, and this is an example of the changes. This is not necessarily Nelson, but Warner's as a whole stepping in and again realizing that they have something hearty to exploit.

And outside of that comment, I want to reiterate my love for Paul Levitz. That guy is a hero to creators' rights who doesn't get enough respect because he was 1. around too early, and 2. too entrenched in the for-hire system to be noticed.

Jim Shooter deserves some praise there too - his first priority on becoming EiC at Marvel was to start paying creator royalties. He also credits Levitz - when he was having trouble getting his royalty sales incentive plan past the Marvel board, it was Levitz beating them to the punch at DC that forced their hand.

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular

They were?
    screenrant.com/warner-bros-wins-superman-copyright-lawsuit/

in general, yes they were.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    yeah, stuff like Superman rights, and Marvel's disputes with Jack Kirby are outliers for the overal company/creator relationships. In both cases the characters were created so early in the industry's existence that no one really knew how to handle that stuff, or how the contracts should work.

Or at least the creators didn't know, and the companies took advantage of it, but either way the situation for Siegel & Shuster and Kirby is not the same situation for creators 10+ years later. There were other, different shitty situations in some cases, but still different.

Hell, even Kirby's relationship with DC isn't directly comparable to his relationship with Marvel, because he went to DC knowing a lot more about what to demand, and had the klout to get it as DC was hiring him specifically to help them catch up to Marvel.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    John Allison's Giant Days comic has been given another 6 issues, which is fantastic news because it is brilliant.

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I would pay money for a video of Mark Waid forcibly moving Arthur Sudyam's shit off those table.

• hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    I'm a little confused why somebody would photoshop people in line into a picture of themselves at a convention booth.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    I'm a little confused why somebody would photoshop people in line into a picture of themselves at a convention booth.

Because they have an ego the size of a large country.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    That is basically all he's done, just zombie covers. You would think he would draw an issue of something in all this time.

• Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    That is basically all he's done, just zombie covers. You would think he would draw an issue of something in all this time.

So he just zombifies classic Marvel covers done by better artists?

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Disco11 wrote: »

yeah, it was a big thing when the original Marvel Zombies came out. They even released TPBs of just the covers. Then on or around Marvel Zombies 4 or 5 people started to stop caring. But yeah, Zombie Homage Covers is the man's bread and butter, without that shtick he wouldn't be famous (nor would comic conventions allow him to kick out other artists for table space)

EDIT: Also, John Byrne and Dan Slott got into a somewhat heated argument over on Byrne's forums. I'm not a huge Slott fan, but Bryne came off pretty dickish

Zavian on
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    When I saw it on the first run I thought it was a cool gimmick but it got old pretty quick.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »

So he's like Roy Lichenstein except he puts more effort into his work. :D

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Man, Byrne just seems to have such a large pair of cognitive dissonance goggles on that I'm wondering if he just hasn't read those stories in 30-40 years and is not remembering things correctly.

...no wait, he's just using this as an opportunity to rail against "kids these days."

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »

This really sounds like a simple misunderstanding. Good thing fans and creators alike have already turned it into a witch hunt. Jesus.

• DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Question about the Okko books: I recently found books 2 and 4 in a used book store, figuring I'd order 1 and 3 no problem. Apparently they aren't easy to find, but are being reprinted? Any idea when they will be released? I really like the art and am excited to read the series, so I'm hoping it soonish!

*Edit - Abit more Googling revealed that the reprints will be coming out August 5th and 19th respectively. Hurray!

DarkMecha on
    Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    edited July 2015

This really sounds like a simple misunderstanding. Good thing fans and creators alike have already turned it into a witch hunt. Jesus.

statement by him
    The Montreal show changed its floor plan on Thursday, the day before the show, however they didn't send out notification and only the 5 American artists at set up time on Thursday nite knew of the table placement floor-plan change.
    The next day at show-time the Canadian artists unfortunately began hearing from a singular trouble-making fan artist who wasn’t there at set up who began spreading fabrications to the artists and online that the American artists at the row-end were taking their tables (and guess who that lucky artist on the end was).

The fan artist wasn't in the loop on Thursday and so knew nothing. This is the guy who sat across from us all weekend long at his table with no fans and no one paying him any attention while the crowds flocked to the American artist's tables.

Then the low-I.Q. online crowds, too lazy to check facts more interested to turn simple misunderstandings into an opportunity to create some trouble jumped in .

The show promoters have since come out and corroborated these facts.

nope, still sounds like a jerk.

UltimateInferno on
    "Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
    He's clearly a poor communicator as I can't really understand what he's saying in that statement but I think he's saying it's something the Con did? If so, isn't the whole thing moot?

Maybe I'm reading that wrong. Like I said, it's poorly stated so I'm not sure what he's trying to convey. He may be a jerk but it doesn't sound like it's because he's stealing tables.

• DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Has anyone here used Comixology? It looks cool, thinking about giving it a try for some of the comics I'm more interested in reading than collecting.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    Has anyone here used Comixology? It looks cool, thinking about giving it a try for some of the comics I'm more interested in reading than collecting.

I use it since the nearest quality comics shop is a looong drive away. It's alright. They redid their iOS app, which I thought was basically perfect, but I'm getting used to the changes. My one real gripe is that their "subscription" thing to download new issues just doesn't seem to work sometimes (they don't bill you and you don't get the issue). The fix for it is simple (just buy the issue manually) but it irks me that something that should be automatic has to be supervised.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

statement by him
    The Montreal show changed its floor plan on Thursday, the day before the show, however they didn't send out notification and only the 5 American artists at set up time on Thursday nite knew of the table placement floor-plan change.
    The next day at show-time the Canadian artists unfortunately began hearing from a singular trouble-making fan artist who wasn’t there at set up who began spreading fabrications to the artists and online that the American artists at the row-end were taking their tables (and guess who that lucky artist on the end was).

The fan artist wasn't in the loop on Thursday and so knew nothing. This is the guy who sat across from us all weekend long at his table with no fans and no one paying him any attention while the crowds flocked to the American artist's tables.

Then the low-I.Q. online crowds, too lazy to check facts more interested to turn simple misunderstandings into an opportunity to create some trouble jumped in .

The show promoters have since come out and corroborated these facts.

nope, still sounds like a jerk.
    He's clearly a poor communicator as I can't really understand what he's saying in that statement but I think he's saying it's something the Con did? If so, isn't the whole thing moot?

Maybe I'm reading that wrong. Like I said, it's poorly stated so I'm not sure what he's trying to convey. He may be a jerk but it doesn't sound like it's because he's stealing tables.

Inciting American vs Canadian sentiments is also causing me to get stabby as hell. :evil:

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    DarkMecha wrote: »

I use it since the nearest quality comics shop is a looong drive away. It's alright. They redid their iOS app, which I thought was basically perfect, but I'm getting used to the changes. My one real gripe is that their "subscription" thing to download new issues just doesn't seem to work sometimes (they don't bill you and you don't get the issue). The fix for it is simple (just buy the issue manually) but it irks me that something that should be automatic has to be supervised.

FWIW I've never had issues with their subscription part and I've been using it since they launched that feature.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular

If it was the one instance, Id possibly agree, but there have been people saying this is far from the first time its happened.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    He's saying that was the con reorganising, but others say that he has done it at multiple cons. So unless they're making that up then he still is a jerk.

Gvzbgul wrote: »
    He's saying that was the con reorganising, but others say that he has done it at multiple cons. So unless they're making that up then he still is a jerk.

Well considering the con has come out and corroborated his story I think it's safe to say that this go around it was all a misunderstanding. I can't speak about the other cons however - granted if it happened here it's feasible it happened elsewhere.

My point being that the guy may be a jerk (probably is based on some of his comments) but parading him out and publicly shaming him on Twitter seems asinine at best and unprofessional at worst. Which may also cause someone to come off as a jerk considering how frustrating that might be.

I'm more offput by the way he treats the indie artist that he 'displaced'. He went and personally apologized to the two professional artists whose stuff he forcibly took down and removed to make room for his own stuff, but he skipped the indie artist. Even if it's the con's fault (which, judging from how other creators are saying this always happens at cons, it isn't really) the guy could have been more considerate or even just accept the situation and share table space with other artists. He just comes across as a greedy jerk anyway you slice it. But yeah, the giant public internet shaming machine does take things too far

Well considering the con has come out and corroborated his story I think it's safe to say that this go around it was all a misunderstanding.

The con probably going to say whatever they think will smooth it over the quickest without alienating potential future guests. I don't necessarily think that because they said "Yes, this is what happened" that that's what actually happened, especially when there seem to be multiple accounts from people who were there and who have seen pretty much this same thing happen at other events say differently.

Gaslight wrote: »

Well considering the con has come out and corroborated his story I think it's safe to say that this go around it was all a misunderstanding.

The con probably going to say whatever they think will smooth it over the quickest without alienating potential future guests. I don't necessarily think that because they said "Yes, this is what happened" that that's what actually happened, especially when there seem to be multiple accounts from people who were there and who have seen pretty much this same thing happen at other events say differently.

I'm not sure I understand the logic of how the con agreeing with the alleged offendee smooths things over. I would think that would be the exact wrong thing to do.

Look, I'm just basing my POV off the information available. From the sounds of things the con shifted things around and had a poor communication strategy. It's not really up to the other exhibitors to make sure everyone is taken care of.

edited July 2015

I'm not sure I understand the logic of how the con agreeing with the alleged offendee smooths things over. I would think that would be the exact wrong thing to do.

The con is probably-definitely in a no-win situation in choosing how to respond to this. But the "This was all just a big misunderstanding" line (possibly accompanied by apologies behind the scenes to the artists who got screwed) probably in their estimation stands the best chance of making the most people forget about the story as quickly as possible. Whereas acknowledging someone actually deliberately behaved in a shitty way probably keeps the story going and maybe escalates it. The fact is the convention-going public has a short memory/attention span, they aren't going to not come to next year's event over this, but if the con organizers publicly side with one artist guest against another they risk alienating potential future guests who are potential draws to their event and that directly affects their bottom line.

Gaslight on
    But if he in fact did something wrong, isn't calling this a misunderstanding (instead of an abuse) siding with him? Thus alienating other artists?

Regardless, this is a rat hole. I think I made my point prior - I totally get that people are going to form their own opinions.

edited July 2015
    But if he in fact did something wrong, isn't calling this a misunderstanding (instead of an abuse) siding with him? Thus alienating other artists?

Sort of. Like I said, there's no good way out for the con organizers, I wouldn't want to be them trying to handle this situation. But "It was all just a misunderstanding" at least avoids actually asserting or implying wrongdoing by anybody. It's functionally taking a side but for PR purposes it creates the appearance they're avoiding taking a side. And like I said, I suspect there may have been private apologies/assurances given to the artists who got screwed as well.

Gaslight on
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

Sort of. Like I said, there's no good way out for the con organizers, I wouldn't want to be them trying to handle this situation. But "It was all just a misunderstanding" at least avoids actually asserting or implying wrongdoing by anybody. It's functionally taking a side but for PR purposes it creates the appearance they're avoiding taking a side. And like I said, I suspect there may have been private apologies/assurances given to the artists who got screwed as well.

It's the cowardly option.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //

It's the cowardly option.

PR often rewards cowardice and rarely rewards courage. I'm not saying it's what they should have done. Just saying what I suspect happened and why.

• NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular

It reads that he is stating that the floor plan changed during the set up day before the floor was open. The first artist to complain about being moved wasn't there during the change the day before and told everyone that Suydam stole his table. And then it cascaded from there.