As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Penny Dreadful] I'll have to change the carpet [Season 2]

2»

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Is the Creature supposed to be at all sympathetic? Because looking wistful and sad does not make up for being a complete assbucket.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    You mean Doc's first creation? He's an assbucket with a poet-complex, yeah.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Is the Creature supposed to be at all sympathetic? Because looking wistful and sad does not make up for being a complete assbucket.

I think they're conveying how childish Clare is because, really, he is a child as far as life experience goes.

I do like how none of the characters are saintly. Every last one of them is severely flawed.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    ButcherButcher Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Lucky for them Friday was one of Ethan's indisposed nights or else the plots would have converged and exploded instead of just falling over.

I hope Ethan just turns that Pinkterton guy into a corpse the second they met again.

Why didn't he just kill him then and there? A Raylan Givens moment if ever I saw one.

Also, Vanessa constantly being a damsel in distress is getting tiring. I hope at some point she actually gains the ability to fight, I feel like she's been suffering nonstop and always hunted since Season 1 began.

Ethan's transformation was totally B-movie werewolf stuff.

Butcher on
  • Options
    Well, The-Corpse-To-Be walked in under his own power, so you have to keep in mind maybe someone knows he's there and dropping bodies is a bit of a problem for you at the moment. So I can see the hesitation.

Given your comments about Vanessa I now hope she slits his throat or something when he tries to make good on his threat.

His transformation was kind of cheesy, but they knew that and hid in the dark. Maybe it wasn't done, either! Plus points for Mr. Keeps Cool freaking out as appropriate instead of staring it down or something.

I occurs to me they're all WAY to not worried about witches. It should be their first thought about everything.

• Options
    Yeah Vanessa needs to kill some Witches.

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Man, just because Ethan has a hard time handling killing people after the fact (for reason's that probably have a lot more to do with his lack of choice than just the fact he kills people...) no reason to be all "Your soul is black now!!!" to someone who's already thinking she's the bride of the devil. What the fuck, just because she's blue balling you that's uncalled for! It's like he doesn't realize she's been blessed by God himself to not have killed anyone yet or that it's almost a guarantee she'll need to kill someone soon. Like, say, WITCHES! REMEMBER THEM, GUYS?

Mr. Mole is the only one even doing anything to oppose them until Vanessa goes on her field trip to play house. She opened the Final Option book at kind of a drop of a hat, too, kinda. Suppose maybe that's why she rolled with that black soul bullshit for offing the dirt bag. I was kind of hoping they'd both draw down on him and blow him of the horse and the dogs eat him. I was close, I guess.

John saw Lily out and about, so suppose that's going to explode.

And WTF Lily. :(

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I got the feeling that part of it was how she killed the other guy, he knows it involved bad juju (he was with her when she used it to drive the witches off from the carriage), and that he feels that he's already damned (both from his affliction and his history) so he could better handle the death.

The whole triangle thing they are setting up with Ethan, the unseen "master", and Vanessa could be interesting.

I was hoping we'd see Dorian's date with Lily bring him more into the main story, rather than just orbiting the rest of the cast.

• Options
    The last episode was just weird in a bad way and uneventful. The will they won't they Ethan/Vanessa romance is shit a show this good shouldn't be pulling.

• Options
    Yeah, if it takes an Act of God just to get them to kiss what's it going to take for them to take their shoes off? Half the city explodes? And if they end up in bed the cast all dies?

• Options
    Yeah, if it takes an Act of God just to get them to kiss what's it going to take for them to take their shoes off? Half the city explodes? And if they end up in bed the cast all dies?

It was cute at first, with the dancing and lumberjack stuff, but they should have just fucked after that and got it over with. Instead, they're going to drag it out till the finale with soapy ups and downs. Like you said with Ethan completely overreacting to her killing the guy - feels totally out of character and weird just to introduce friction.

• Options
    I give them until end of next season for that plot line. Or since it's short season the middle. Don't blow it show!

It probably will, but suppose it WAS OK until the friction-generation.

Somewhat related: They're treating Malcolm's new-love-smitten self way too easy. It makes it worse they notice it and then kind of just frown. Magic is real. You can do it when you get bored. You don't have a detection spell or something Vanessa?

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    I like that this show has a former James Bond and a former Bond Girl in it.

Also I like this show.

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Damn, Billie Piper was fantastic in this episode

• Options
    Yeah, and Malcolm was a raging moron.

• Options
    And now so is Vanessa! And Ethan better not have killed that witch just so there's dissension among them.

• Options
    I hope Sembene somehow survives. He's great. Otherwise that was mainly a lot of table setting for a big finale. Excited for Sunday.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Damn, Billie Piper was fantastic in this episode

Her acting stepped up a notch when she went full super-villain.

• Options
    I'd say he's a goner. They'd need to not only pull a miracle out of thin air, but be able to hold themselves back in the dramatic writing. Doesn't seem likely.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I'd say he's a goner. They'd need to not only pull a miracle out of thin air, but be able to hold themselves back in the dramatic writing. Doesn't seem likely.

Speculation
    This show is an urban fantasy kitchen sink, with heavy themes about magic and death. Necromancy wouldn't be unexpected, and Vanessa is a witch, even if she's a poor one and she has the ace in the hole with being possessed by the devil.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options

Well, he did bite him in the throat. Might have changed him instead of killing him.

• Options
    Yeah, which is why I'm willing to concede my first point. But standing firm on the second.

• Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    Goddamnit, Malcolm and Vanessa. Never initiate a teamfight without having your team in place!

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I geeked out a WHOLE LOT at the reveal of Ethan's real name.
    If you're not familiar with the original Wolf Man movie, the main character's name is Lawrence Talbot.

• Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    WELP

I am depressed. But not because the finale sucked. Quite the opposite.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Finale
    Poole was built up to a ridiculous degree only to go out in the weakest possible way. The conflict ended up being Vanessa overcoming herself, essentially, which was interesting but sort of anti-climactic.

Ethan's plot was really grim, and did no one tell him that Sembene sacrificed himself so he'd live? I also don't know how this won't drag down Season 3 with the plot of two lovers with thousands of miles between them. I'm guessing there will be some plot twist with Ethan's father training him how to control his inner Wolf, or something like that. Malcolm will probably already be back in London by the first episode. No clue where Caliban/John Clare's story goes from here. Not thrilled with Poole's daughter and Brona as the villains of next season, though the post-finale interview with Logan (don't read if you want to be blind for S3)
    basically confirms Dracula, so that's extremely exciting.

Post-finale interview with Logan

Butcher on
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    Well, that was a finale. Wow. Not very cheerful, but I guess that was to be expected.

A great season, all in all. Can't wait for season 3. Excited to see what happens with
    Brona/Lily and Dorian. They've spent two seasons establishing Dorian's character, but now it looks like he's going to actually do something, story-wise. I'm optimistic that it'll be worth the wait.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Sembene noooooooo

Wound up early with a looooot of denoument.

Nosf on
  • Options
    Ethan's continuing bad calls over this self hatred and guilt reached a new low.
    What a time to bail, jackass. Lily better be lying to herself about knowing the entire time, as that's pretty much a retcon from what what we saw. And Doctor Junky will hopefully think of headshots next time.

But even during all those they did a bang up job overall. Even
    dolls
    can't withstand Eva Green's glare of doom.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I just signed up for the free month of Showtime on Hulu. First things first: watched season 1 episode 1 of Penny Dreadful.

Can I just have them inject the rest of the series intravenously?

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Bliss 101 wrote: »
    Well, that was a finale. Wow. Not very cheerful, but I guess that was to be expected.

A great season, all in all. Can't wait for season 3. Excited to see what happens with
    Brona/Lily and Dorian. They've spent two seasons establishing Dorian's character, but now it looks like he's going to actually do something, story-wise. I'm optimistic that it'll be worth the wait.

Dat scene they had near the end
    Dancing in white clothes while gushing blood all over the floor.