As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommend me a bicycle!

2»

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Blowing through stop signs and stuff like that gives the impression that you think you don't have to abide by the same rules as motorized vehicles, which will make people who hate cyclists hate cyclists even more when they see you doing it, which in turn gives rise to drivers being even bigger assholes to cyclists in return. Not saying them being assholes is actually justified, just saying.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Blowing through stop signs and stuff like that gives the impression that you think you don't have to abide by the same rules as motorized vehicles, which will make people who hate cyclists hate cyclists even more when they see you doing it, which in turn gives rise to drivers being even bigger assholes to cyclists in return. Not saying them being assholes is actually justified, just saying.

No, but if you're feeling threatened by some asshole in an SUV and the intersection is clear, the self-preservation decision is the right one. You should not do this as a practice, but always be aware of your outs. I'm a stickler for obeying traffic laws whenever possible, but the reality is that certain people don't believe cyclists belong on the road and will do what they can to make your life hell.

• Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    I totally agree, though I still find the judgement call a difficult one. Each situation is very different. I was in a situation yesterday where trying to turn left across a busy road, the gentleman behind me kept edging me further and further into traffic. I should have walked to the side and let him do whatever he wanted, but I went for it and had to sit in the middle of 5 lanes waiting for a clear spot. This gave him the bright idea to turn left around me to beat me to the furthest lane, despite me having the right of way. I had no idea he would be aggressive, but everyone made it through unscathed, and I made it to the next red light right behind him anyway.

The moral of the story is, take each situation individually and just be careful. You can't always tell who the assholes on the road are. Some people are just having a bad day.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    A better idea than risking your life by blowing through a stop sign is to just pull over and let the SUV pass you.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    A better idea than risking your life by blowing through a stop sign is to just pull over and let the SUV pass you.

Not an option if there's no real shoulder (often the case where I live).

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »

Nothing at all? It just goes from asphalt to a wall of concrete or rail next to it?

Even if it's a knoll or something, that's better than blowing a stop sign and risking other people's lives.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    padded spandex help a lot with butt soreness. You can wear them underneath shorts if you're hesitant about the spandex look

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    schuss wrote: »

Nothing at all? It just goes from asphalt to a wall of concrete or rail next to it?

Even if it's a knoll or something, that's better than blowing a stop sign and risking other people's lives.

road to ditch/sand. If I have someone up my ass honking and it's a clear intersection, you better believe I'm just going for it rather than giving them any opportunity. I've been hit by a car once who turned into me without check their mirrors, I don't care to repeat that.
    I've also had about 6-7 near misses on my bicycle and motorcycle, which leads me to seek out less traveled roads or roads with wide shoulders.

• Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Yeah, in that case I'd rather either take the full lane and just be a dick about it, or signal a stop, come to a complete stop, and just wave them by with a big smile on your face. There's no winning running through stop signs with an already angry person behind you. The best way to disarm an angry person is to have a big smile and be polite.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    Icemopper wrote: »
    Yeah, in that case I'd rather either take the full lane and just be a dick about it, or signal a stop, come to a complete stop, and just wave them by with a big smile on your face. There's no winning running through stop signs with an already angry person behind you. The best way to disarm an angry person is to have a big smile and be polite.

I don't want to continue to derail this thread, and while I agree with your techniques, I've been in situations where those aren't an option.

Enjoy biking, it's great! Seriously, even though I'm somewhat doom and gloom here, nothing beats a good ride.