As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer vs. Warmachine 2015 (don't know where to get started)

ryuushinryuushin Registered User new member
Hello. A friend and I want to get into Warhammer or Warmachine, but can't really decide which one. Is one better than the other, played more, etc. What's the comparison between the two? I realize they both cost about the same. I've been reading up, but I figured I 'd ask some experts.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    If you mean Warhammer Fantasy Battles (as in, the current 8th edition) it might help to know that it's going to be phased out. They're going to stop selling models and books for it. If you mean the Age of Sigmar, I'd ask what sort of things might influence your decision one way or the other, but I will say that Age of Sigmar is only just starting so for good or ill, there's very little on offer for it at the moment with only one actual box set of the new models, whereas Warmachine and Hordes have been around for awhile and so have more factions and models available.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    The books have already been removed from sale for WHFB.

@ryuushin - did you mean 40K?

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Assuming you mean 40k and Warmachine and not Fantasy...

Well honestly it depends on what you want out of your game.

Warmachine is about the competition, about tournaments, and about rules first and foremost. The lore, the fluff, the hobby aspects of the game are all secondary. It is primarily a game about creating strong rules interactions between special rules of your units, and using that combined with careful, precise movement to leverage an advantage over your opponent. It is great if you love rules, mechanics and competition. However, it is not a good game if you want to build the models you think look cool for fun and just paint them, as you can easily cripple your chances of winning if you do so. It is not a great game if you want to play in a relaxed, kick back environment, because a single model being positioned half an inch forward or backwards can decide the outcome of an entire match.

40k on the other hand, is the opposite. It is about the lore, fluff and hobby aspects of the game first. It's a great game for converting models, having fun building and painting things, there are whole factions that encourage bashing different kits together (orks). You can build lists that have the stuff you think is cool without completely crippling your odds of winning matches, etc. However, the rules simply are not as tight as warmachine, the balance is not as good, and the game is less mechanically robust. However, the game also fosters a much more relaxed environment where people play fast and loose and don't precisely measure everything. It's great if you want to build cool looking armies and then smash them into other cool looking armies.

So honestly, you just have to ask yourself what you want out of your miniature gaming, which is a question only you can answer.

As for which one is played more that is entirely a local thing. You should check your friendly local gamestores and ask their owners what the scene is like. 40k and Warmachine are both huge in my area, but other areas are different. SAGA is also big at one of my FLGS but nonexistent at another, so that is just research you gotta do.

• Options
    I did. Still debating on whether to go 40k/ Warhammer vs. Hordes/ Warmachine.

As far as what might influence my decision , I have a few things. Difficulty of play and difficulty of entry don't bother me.
    1. What's being played more often...can't just be the two of us constantly playing one another
    2. Enjoyment/ satisfaction (subjective I know)
    3. variety
    4. Lore

• Options
    Yeah, rules and precision are what I'm going for. I want something similar to a Clausewtizian Era Prussian Wargame

• Options
    Thanks Inquisitor, that's helpful

• Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    No FLGS you could hop down to one night and get a feel for either game? You'd get much more information out of it as well as a feel for your local meta.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    ryuushin wrote: »
    Yeah, rules and precision are what I'm going for. I want something similar to a Clausewtizian Era Prussian Wargame

If you are lucky you might actually have folks that play Kriegsspiel in your area if that is really what you are looking for, I managed to find a game at a local convention a couple months back.

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular

Are you interested in historical games at all?

If not, Infinity is supposed to be very tactical so is Drop Zone commander. Might want to give them a glance at least.

If you want that musket era feel of block of troops moving then Kings of War would be an option. It's supposed to be more about movement than about special rules and combos.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular

Are you interested in historical games at all?

If not, Infinity is supposed to be very tactical so is Drop Zone commander. Might want to give them a glance at least.

If you want that musket era feel of block of troops moving then Kings of War would be an option. It's supposed to be more about movement than about special rules and combos.

I come from a Warhammer Fantasy background originally, picked up Infinity to fill the gap between 8th and the new release. Dont think im going to look back! Loving it.

• Options
    Grey56Grey56 Registered User new member
    Would love to hear comparison/contrasts from those whom have played the most up to date versions as well.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I glanced into this thread, not having paid any attention to warhams in a couple years, and what the fuck happened.

What is this I don't even.