As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[tech] It's Tech Spring Cleaning Week now. Clean your....tech....stuff.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    my first PC was also a packard bell legend, 33Mhz, I believe 8 megs of total system memory which we upgraded to 16.

it didn't have a video card though. it had a "thing you could plug a monitor into"

the one after that was an AMD K6-2 500Mhz with the Voodoo3 and I think it had 96MB of RAM

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Yeah ours had 16 megs of memory. And a whole gigabyte of hard drive space.

Mind you we got this thing second hand in 2000.

16 megs of memory is insane to think about now. My current pc has 16 gigs.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    First PC was, if I remember correctly, an old PS/2 model 70 which had been depreciated out of existence from my dad's company; 386/20, classic VGA, 2mb ram, _MCA_ bus so no upgrading for me.

Actually, no, that was the first PC that was 'mine'; I can't remember what we had at home before that but it was EGA at most because I remember writing some tiny bits of assembly code to get colours to come out right, and I know that for a long while it was CGA games or nothing -- I vividly remember being blown away when we finally got proper VGA with real palettes and stuff, and spending a heck of a long time making PCX files with sort-of-chrome-looking stuff in them.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Our first PC was some slim 486 that my dad had for work, that he'd bring home in his briefcase every night for working at home.
    So I'd wait excitedly for him to get home and then steal it, so I could go play games. I was, in retrospect, a horrible son.

I don't remember many of its specs, other than it had maybe a 100mb hard drive, which caused a great deal of frustration when I wanted to install the earthshatteringly massive 6mb Descent demo.
    Totally worth it though, Descent was awesome and became one of my dad's favourite games, so it all goes around.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »
    Our first PC was some slim 486 that my dad had for work, that he'd bring home in his briefcase every night for working at home.
    So I'd wait excitedly for him to get home and then steal it, so I could go play games. I was, in retrospect, a horrible son.

I don't remember many of its specs, other than it had maybe a 100mb hard drive, which caused a great deal of frustration when I wanted to install the earthshatteringly massive 6mb Descent demo.
    Totally worth it though, Descent was awesome and became one of my dad's favourite games, so it all goes around.

You realize he probably brought it home for you most of the time, right?

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »

You realize he probably brought it home for you most of the time, right?

Boy did it just get dusty in here all of a sudden...

forumsig.png
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    First computer? Commodore 64!

Though I guess our first IBM style was a 386 SX/25 with 2 megs of memory.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
  • Options
    NijaNija Registered User regular
    All I remember about the family's first computer is that it was a 486, a few hundred megs of hard drive space and Windows 3.1.

The next computer had a turbo button. I played most of my games in DOS still.

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • Options
    T-boltT-bolt Registered User regular
    My first computer was a Commodore VIC-20

1st PC was an IBM-PC AT compatible. Monochrome, with a Hercules graphics card. Maaaybe 10MB of hard drive space.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    what should i do with my PC i built in 2010 and
    i put an SSD in it a few years ago and it was blue screening a year ago and all i have to do to fix that is replace the ram but i just stopped using it and i don't really play much vidya anymore so hm

maybe i should fix it and play vidya but... i kinda just don't want it

poo
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I'm not totally sure what to do with my desktop either. There aren't any games that on the horizon that are worth upgrading for and Steam Box units will be out soon enough.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    Babbies first PC:

_44506676_micro2-poster.jpg

Oh, yes. We had an Atom before the Beeb, but the BBC B was the first real one. I spent entirely too long reading http://www.bbcmicrogames.com/acornsoft.html (and the other pages) a while ago; I'm fairly confident I still have the Elite box somewhere around, though Exile was the one that blew my mind the most.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I am very curious to see whether any of the Steam Boxes end up being worth it as compared to a computer with the same specs that you just build yourself.

• Options
    honestly... probably not. outside of appearances

what the Steam Box needs is what consoles have, which is god mode drivers that hyper optimize the hardware

can't do that if everyone gets to pick their own video card

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    My first computer was an Apple IIc. I learned to spell due to the old Sierra games.

The computer still functions fine and it sitting at my school library where I let high school students mess with it.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    RinderRinder Registered User regular
    My grandfather bought us our first computer. It was a Micron Pentium 133mhz with a Diamond Stealth II graphics card. I played a ton of Mechwarrior 2, Monster Truck Madness, Earthworm Jim, and Neverhood on that thing.
    I remember being sad when Mechwarrior 3 came out and my PC couldn't run it. Also got a ton of use out of the Encarta disc that came with it.

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    iOS 9 public beta baller status achieved.

Just call me El Capidan

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    We replaced our 286 (that I then dismantled to pieces because teenager with a screwdriver) with a P200 with an S3 Trio in it. Later I put a Voodoo 2 in it. I still remember my friend looking at the graphics settings in NFS3 and saying "Turn them all to max, you have a Voodoo 2". Ahh the memories.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    iOS 9 public beta baller status achieved.

Just call me El Capidan

I installed the ios update just then.

I haven't noticed an awful lot different.

I don't think I can be bothered partitioning and installing what I need for El cap.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Ok, the back to button is dope.

And I mean the new app switcher is nice. I'll just be happy if keyboard support becomes rock solid and stops switching keyboards when you least expect it.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Cool. Going to throw the beta on this old iPad tomorrow.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    I've not installed 8.4 yet because everyone is complaining about the music app and it's already bad enough I don't want it to get worse. All I want to do is to be able to scroll through my artist list and play an album without it auto-playing their next album alphabetically.

If there's a way to do that and I'm being an idiot, please let me know.

• Options
    You select the album and hit play? Are you selecting the songs once you get to the artists? Or are you selecting the album and then hitting play? Because this is something that I've not encountered.

You can also just go into the albums directory and select them like that.

• Options
    I think by artist not album. I tap my artist, I get a list of tracks with the album as a header but there's no way to play anything besides tapping a track or a shuffle button. I can shuffle the album, then unshuffle the album, then back to the first track, but that's shitty.

• Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    music app is super jacked. they should fix that and wi-fi syncing being the most unreliable piece of shit feature

UmPiq.png
  • Options
    pimento wrote: »
    I think by artist not album. I tap my artist, I get a list of tracks with the album as a header but there's no way to play anything besides tapping a track or a shuffle button. I can shuffle the album, then unshuffle the album, then back to the first track, but that's shitty.

Ok I checked. Ios 9 fixes that.

In the mean time alternatively you can hit the first song, then press the hamburger button and select the song again and then it only plays the album.

• Options
    The slide second app thing on iPad mini is awesome, browse forums and iMessage at the same time.

New Notes app is actually really nice for quick simple todos and stuff.

New app switched is neat, gonna have to get used to it. Haven't tried installing the watchOS beta, couldn't find any deets on installing it (but I didn't look hard)

Search in Settings is awesome.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    How smooth is multitasking on your iPad Mini @Abracadaniel ? I only ask because I wonder when Apple products will run up against their 1GB of RAM limit and multitasking seems like it would be the thing to max out the available RAM.

• Options
    I can't do the 'true' split screen since that's iPad Air 2 exclusive, but the side swipe thing works pretty well

• Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    Sigh.

Ever since I've updated my OnePlus One to Lollipop, it's been shitting itself consistently. The system UI crashes every few days, causing me to reboot the phone. Music apps randomly stop playing music. The sound EQ randomly stops working, making all music sound flat.

I'm nowhere ready to get a new phone, and hardware-wise it's still great. I don't really want to downgrade back down to KitKat either though.

• Options
    iPad 2 with new beta iOS.

I just waited ten seconds for the onscreen keyboard to switch to numbers so I could hit that "two" key. And now I waited six seconds for the quotation marks to show up. Getting second or two delays on every key stroke.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular

your commodore 64 is really neato

what kinda chip you got in there - a dorito?

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    oh, also IBM announced that it can consistently make 7nm transistors now, based on some construction innovations and a silicon-germanium alloy instead of pure silicon.

tiny itty bitty cpus

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Great somebody got into my skype account.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Langly wrote: »

you're usin a 286? Don't make me laugh

your windows boots up in what? a day and a half?

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »

You could backup your whole hard drive on a floppy diskette. You're the biggest joke on the internet.

Your database is a disaster.

No I don't.
  • Options
    iPad 2 with new beta iOS.

I just waited ten seconds for the onscreen keyboard to switch to numbers so I could hit that "two" key. And now I waited six seconds for the quotation marks to show up. Getting second or two delays on every key stroke.

FWIW, the betas are always remarkably slower than the eventual release version.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    zerzhul wrote: »

You could backup your whole hard drive on a floppy diskette. You're the biggest joke on the internet.

Your database is a disaster.

you're waxin your modem, tryin to make it go faster

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I find myself wanting to install windows 95 on dosbox. is windows 95 something that is readily obtainable? or do I need to ask my grandfather if he still has his installation cd?

This discussion has been closed.