As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Skyforge - New MMORPG by Allods Team and Westernization by Obsidian

• JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    So the description and screenshots here are kinda vague: What previous MMO is this most like? I'm getting FF10 flashbacks with all of the PvE apparently involving fast-travel from a world map? Or maybe one would call that more of a Phantasy Star Online sorta experience?

Gives me the feeling its more a glorified lobby game like Destiny, than a coherent MMO with immersion.

• GikenGiken Registered User regular
    Hmm, it has an action type hybrid fighting style. You can use tab targeting, but it is not required. For melees when you attack you will hit the target withing your range. You have skills you can use by pressing the numbers 1-6, and you have combos using the basic attack with right and left click.
    From what i have played the mages mainly use the 1-6 skills. with no combos from the right or left clicking. Every class has a finisher they can use when a normal mob is below a certain health %.

Overall i am having fun with the melee combat, i know for a fact that the mages become beast later on with there skills, but right now the starter skills just dont keep my attention like the melee combos do. And for the type of game it is most similar to, i dont really know. It has a PSO type feel to it but is not as clunky to me. Its a interesting game that i feel people should give a try once it enters OBT.

• C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Glad to see people getting interested in the game :)

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Noizlanif wrote: »
    Well, time to ride another hype train.

Nope, not this time. I'm not falling into that trap again.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »

I managed to control myself on Wildstar and Archeage, and waited a few months to try them.

It was a wise decision. I think I will keep doing that.

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I think I am just going to skip this based on what I have seen of the game here and on bikiniarmorbattledamage.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    *huff, puff* Oh, whew, okay lemme catch my breath... did someone say bikini armor battle damage? :winky:

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Welp, I managed to get a beta key for this and put a few hours into this.
    • Outrageously bad boob physics. It's like women have two bowls of jello on their chest. They have to make sure they don't turn around too fast or the centrifugal force will knock them off their feet. Thankfully they at least had enough sense to not do boob physics for actual armor suits. Every cutscene with Herida starts with me going "Woah, do you have two weasels moving around inside your gown?"
    • Voice acting is atrociously bad.
    • Quests consist of a lot of playing the same handful of small linear levels several times, each time interacting with a different doodad.
    • There are more open-ended areas, where you get a set of objectives leading you through the area to the end of it.
    • Combat is... rather simple. The melee classes have a simple combo system consisting of left/right clicks, but combos only consist of X left-clicks followed by one right-click. The number of left-clicks determines what you finish the combo with.

Only played Gunner for ranged damage so far. It has two resources. First gun mode is a minigun. left button is a single-target high speed attack, right button is a big-ass AOE bullet hose. Firing it builds up heat. At 300 heat you lose a crapton of attack speed - this is when you switch to the second mode, the shoulder-mounted plasma cannon. Its left click is a slow fire plasma shot, right click is a plasma beam that shoots through enemies so you want to line things up to hit multiple targets. This mode uses heat as ammo.

There's also the third mode which turns the gun to a stationary mortar that uses rockets that recharge over time, but I haven't unlocked it yet.

Beyond that there are a few other abilities - minigun mode has a flame thrower, plasma cannon mode can put down a damaging AOE field that can be fired at to increase the damage it does, and there's a thrown grenade that you can press again to teleport to for escaping bad situations.

So far everything has been laughably easy, but I haven't unlocked any 5-man content yet.

edited March 2015
    Progression-wise you have what is effectively a gear score that's a sum of your gear and invested talent points. This score seems to be what gates content.

Each class has an "Atlas" of stuff to unlock using three different currencies you get from missions. It tries to look like the FFX Sphere Grid, but it's completely linear - you just unlock things down a winding path without things to choose between.

You can switch between classes at any time when out of combat, but you probably need to stick to easier content for a while when starting a brand new class you haven't unlocked talents for yet.

Echo on
    Oh hey I missed some of the Atlas stuff mentioned in this video. It's not completely linear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRwz8PeGBPM

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Welp, I managed to get a beta key for this and put a few hours into this.
    • Outrageously bad boob physics. It's like women have two bowls of jello on their chest. They have to make sure they don't turn around too fast or the centrifugal force will knock them off their feet. Thankfully they at least had enough sense to not do boob physics for actual armor suits. Every cutscene with Herida starts with me going "Woah, do you have two weasels moving around inside your gown?"
    • Voice acting is atrociously bad.
    • Quests consist of a lot of playing the same handful of small linear levels several times, each time interacting with a different doodad.
    • There are more open-ended areas, where you get a set of objectives leading you through the area to the end of it.
    • Combat is... rather simple. The melee classes have a simple combo system consisting of left/right clicks, but combos only consist of X left-clicks followed by one right-click. The number of left-clicks determines what you finish the combo with.

Only played Gunner for ranged damage so far. It has two resources. First gun mode is a minigun. left button is a single-target high speed attack, right button is a big-ass AOE bullet hose. Firing it builds up heat. At 300 heat you lose a crapton of attack speed - this is when you switch to the second mode, the shoulder-mounted plasma cannon. Its left click is a slow fire plasma shot, right click is a plasma beam that shoots through enemies so you want to line things up to hit multiple targets. This mode uses heat as ammo.

There's also the third mode which turns the gun to a stationary mortar that uses rockets that recharge over time, but I haven't unlocked it yet.

Beyond that there are a few other abilities - minigun mode has a flame thrower, plasma cannon mode can put down a damaging AOE field that can be fired at to increase the damage it does, and there's a thrown grenade that you can press again to teleport to for escaping bad situations.

So far everything has been laughably easy, but I haven't unlocked any 5-man content yet.

You're not really selling this very far. It sounds like any other random, terrible (usually Korean) f2p throwaway game.

What is this I don't even.
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Now there's a job for you, imagine being the "Boob Physics" guy for a MMO ? What do you do for research, watch Kate Upton videos all day long ? And get paid for...

...oof, sorry, blacked out for a moment there.

• SaphierSaphier Aka Errant Registered User regular
    JediNight wrote: »
    So the description and screenshots here are kinda vague: What previous MMO is this most like? I'm getting FF10 flashbacks with all of the PvE apparently involving fast-travel from a world map? Or maybe one would call that more of a Phantasy Star Online sorta experience?

Gives me the feeling its more a glorified lobby game like Destiny, than a coherent MMO with immersion.

Anyone who has ever played vindictus will probably be feeling some serious de ja vu, it has the same right click right click left click combo system and instanced world (at least until you got into the later parts of Vindictus). Which isn't a bad thing, vindictus was fun! It also has what looks like a path of exile style progression tree an the ffxi/xiv armory system. All and all things I liked out of each of those games.

Tentatively interested.

• JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    Yeah I dunno, I'll probably try it out, but I'm not expecting much. The skill involved in playing sounds very simplistic, and mostly just a lot of grinding maps where the "input" is mostly just Warm Body + Time. Very much sounds like an ultra mainstream title like Destiny, which very much doesn't sell me on it— Farmville: The Battle MMO =\

Darkewolfe wrote: »
    You're not really selling this very far. It sounds like any other random, terrible (usually Korean) f2p throwaway game.

It's not exactly bad. It's just not very interesting at all. The aesthetics are nice, shitty boob physics aside, and the UI feels very minimalistic and modern, kind of like Destiny. I have a weak spot for science fantasy settings.
    Saphier wrote: »
    It also has what looks like a path of exile style progression tree an the ffxi/xiv armory system. All and all things I liked out of each of those games.

There's barely any choices at all going on, though. It's not like PoE where you have a limited number of points with which to make a build. Given enough play you'll unlock everything. It's also almost entirely linear, sometimes branching out and then meeting up again.

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    It's nice that they put painfully overdone boob physics in a game this early. It's like they're saying 'Making sure female characters jiggly for our visual enjoyment is a priority for our development team, so you (specifically decomposey) will feel extremely uncomfortable and objectified, so move on and never spend money here.'

So I can check this game off the list early and not have to bother paying attention to it anymore!

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2015
    Axen wrote: »
    *huff, puff* Oh, whew, okay lemme catch my breath... did someone say bikini armor battle damage? :winky:
    About

The Blog

This blog exist to answer the question “What if we applied logic to wearing almost nothing to battle?”

Things Bikini Armor Battle Damage (BABD, for short) features:

examples of sexualized female warrior costumes (bikini armor etc.) in media
    (usually followed with commentary on what’s wrong with them and/or Female Armor Bingo crossed-out for them)
    parodies of sexualized female warrior costumes
    resources on armor, costume and character design
    resources on female warriors in history in fiction
    positive examples of adequate female warrior wear
    commentary on double standards in depiction of women in media
    retorts to justification of sexualized female warrior costumes

Home of the female armor bingo!

tumblr_n1s2pjSXYN1s755fuo2_r1_500.pngtumblr_n24cl90wWa1s755fuo1_500.png

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular

Lacks *MMO made towards asian market* option.

It is jarring since Obsidian's role is targeted towards *westernization* of the game and early on there was talk about adjusting things like this.

Don't know what happened to that. Something might still happen, but...

Weirdly enough the boob physics seem to have gotten a lot worse. OtoH I didn't spend much attention to early footage and only played a bit during technical beta, so I might have missed it.

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited March 2015
    Astale wrote: »
    Arthil wrote: »

I managed to control myself on Wildstar and Archeage, and waited a few months to try them.

It was a wise decision. I think I will keep doing that.
    After a few dozen MMOs, you learn quickly how similar most of them play. My first question when looking at a new MMO is always "What is the ONE THING that makes your MMO different form all of the other MMOs on the market?" If the answer is a description of their game lore, I don't even bother saying goodbye. (I like lore as much as the next nerd, but if you think I'm going to play a lousy game because it has a great story, you're dreaming.) If the answer is something along the lines of "compelling gameplay" or "innovative combat", I'll allow them a second answer, but they're already hip-deep in a hole and they better have some really good answers to not dig deeper.

You would be shocked how often developers (and sometimes even marketing people) simply don't know how to deal with that simple question.

Stupid on

26904.png
    Turns out it actually has proper big MMO zones. It just takes eight hours to get there.

They're not very good at first impressions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYW51N11WyQ

• GikenGiken Registered User regular
    So in this game you are a "God" who can get adepts/followers. You have a statue built in your honor, and you can spend resources send your adepts out on mission to get more followers. But i have no reason as to why i would care how many followers i have. So far in the beta i have been spending credits, and running dungeons to get the resources in order to send my adepts out on missions.

I know later on we get some kind of "God" mode and it is supposed to be when things really open up, but as far as i know the russion beta didnt have this mode and i have no infor on it. Only thing i could think of is the more followers we have the stronger we get??
    If anyone knows then can you pls respond to this. I would like to not waste my credits on followers and just spend it on upgrading my gear.

The first dungeon finally makes the game look interesting. It's just a shame it's such a slog to get to that point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP6XY3NMKxU

• NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    What level are they?

Force is Prestige 2806.

Let me try that again.

I like dungeons in my MMOs, particularly when they throw interesting things like non-healing supports into the mix. How long would I need to play to get to this first dungeon?

I got to 1200 in 3-4 hours. Force said he played 8 hours to get to the first real open-world MMO zone, dunno how long it's to the dungeon after that.

The game is entirely level-less, it's effectively a gear score based on gear and how much you've put into talents.

Oh, I see, thanks. I really liked that system in Secret World.

• LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    When do we get to play this? :D

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • NoizlanifNoizlanif MMO-Whore Registered User regular
    edited March 2015
    http://youtu.be/OipDVAkALSs
    SLAAAAAAYYYYYEEEERRRRR!!!!!

Noizlanif on
  • HardKaseHardKase Registered User regular
    Early access starts on the 9th 6am pdt for founders. As in tomorrow.

Open beta 7 days later. Hearing some positive things about it in its current state.

Steam ID: HardKAse@hardkase.cjb.net (yes I was drunk when I created it)
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    I wasn't won over by the CB I played a few months back, but I really like the setting and am going to give it another whirl tomorrow.

• ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    Forgot about this for a good while, but the couple hours I played today have been fun.

I'm enjoying playing paladin. It doesn't feel as 'clunky' as other games. The aesthetics are nice and the overall lore (not necessarily the "help people" generic parts) about the gods seem... promising.

76561197966849367.png
  • EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    Did they fix some of the framerate issues?

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
    How many classes are in the beta/planned for release?

• HardKaseHardKase Registered User regular
    There are a few classes.
    Paladin cryomancer and lightvribger are the starting classes.

Others you unlock are kinetic witch monk berserker alchemist gunner archer knight.

The may be more but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

The ascension atlas has 2 layers. A linear ish one for your class which you have to reach a point in to unlock the bigger open upper layer which you use to unlock other classes and stuff.

I'm not having any frame rate issues and am playing with a210 ping from nz.

Steam ID: HardKAse@hardkase.cjb.net (yes I was drunk when I created it)
  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    So I'm in. It's a very action-y, visceral feeling MMO experience...at least the first three hours were entertaining.

Anyway, the boobs are...yeah. The boobs.

But otherwise, I'll see where it goes. Seems like (based on forum chatter) they've made huge changes to make things more fun faster from closed beta to open.

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    I wish I had some time to look in on this. I got my CBT invite two months ago, downloaded the client over hotel wifi while on the road, and haven't had time to try it out for even one second since then.

26904.png
  • ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    Well, if anyone's not sold, there are some keys here: http://www.gamezone.com/news/grab-an-early-access-key-to-skyforge-right-here-3421323

Hit a working one ~5 minutes ago.

76561197966849367.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Just spent way too long trying to get a key from a bunch of sites. No dice. I downloaded the game thinking I must have access from signing up earlier, so now I have it installed and no access. Whoops!

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I somehow magically found a key in that wall of keys.

This game is...not bad. Not good, but of quite an astonishing visual and animation quality on what CAN'T be a huge budget. The UI is nice, the animations are good and have a lot of love in em, and the combat is pretty okay.

There are some flaws, the game does uses the hardest lock-on I've seen in a Tera Style game. You can use moves that hit other enemies, but if it just hits one enemy, it is WAY just hitting one. Also tends to get a little squirrely if you're attacking after an enemy has died, kinda soft locks you in the middle of your animation.

But I gotta admit, it's a lot of polish for a game that's going to be buried under the might of FFXIV, WoW, SwToR's Episode 7 fueled resurrection, and Blade and Soul. You only honestly feel the games not quite triple A development in the cut scene department, but that's liveable.

Kinda feel bad honestly, it's a neat hook and not too shabby to look at.

Transporter on