As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What do they got in here, King Kong? [Jurassic World]

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    I'm also still probably most upset at Masrani's character. He was the most interesting character when introduced. I was expecting there to be tension between him and Claire when the I. rex escapes. Masrani is introduced as a foil to Claire. The scenes setup that he cares about dinosaurs, but not the business whereas Claire cares about the business and not dinosaurs.

I expected Claire to burst into the control room and tell Asset Containment to kill the escaped monster and for Masrani to tell her to stop....which is what happens, but not for any of the reasons you would have expected from his character. Like I said before, why is he suddenly concerned with the cost of this asset? I thought he just loved dinosaurs- I expected a Hammondesque "DONT SHOOT".

But then later he is like "Sure let's just fuckin kill this motherfucker with a chaingun OOOPS I die offscreen in a helicopter crash."

So much wasted potential and confused writing, which lead to confused as fuck themes.

Damnit I wish I could stop thinking about how disappointing this movie was.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    The weirdest thing to me about this film is that... I'm pretty sure there's only 3 raptors in the movie, but I definitely saw at least 2 die (one gets blown up by an RPG, another exploded like a blood filled balloon when whats her face smashed it into a tree) yet at the end of the film all 3 were present to chase people / fight the I-Rex.

Of all the things objectively wrong with the movie, for some reason that bothers me the most.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    I'm also still probably most upset at Masrani's character. He was the most interesting character when introduced. I was expecting there to be tension between him and Claire when the I. rex escapes. Masrani is introduced as a foil to Claire. The scenes setup that he cares about dinosaurs, but not the business whereas Claire cares about the business and not dinosaurs.

I expected Claire to burst into the control room and tell Asset Containment to kill the escaped monster and for Masrani to tell her to stop....which is what happens, but not for any of the reasons you would have expected from his character. Like I said before, why is he suddenly concerned with the cost of this asset? I thought he just loved dinosaurs- I expected a Hammondesque "DONT SHOOT".

But then later he is like "Sure let's just fuckin kill this motherfucker with a chaingun OOOPS I die offscreen in a helicopter crash."

So much wasted potential and confused writing, which lead to confused as fuck themes.

Damnit I wish I could stop thinking about how disappointing this movie was.

They had so much potential with character moments throughout the movie. One of my favorites that they did absolutely nothing with was Claire perfectly pronouncing the dinosaur name, and they could have done a whole thing with how she really loved the park. But it went absolutely nowhere.

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    The weirdest thing to me about this film is that... I'm pretty sure there's only 3 raptors in the movie, but I definitely saw at least 2 die (one gets blown up by an RPG, another exploded like a blood filled balloon when whats her face smashed it into a tree) yet at the end of the film all 3 were present to chase people / fight the I-Rex.

Of all the things objectively wrong with the movie, for some reason that bothers me the most.

There were 4. Only one died before the big finale.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

You were watching the ones out front, you missed the 2 off to the sides. :P

Oh brilliant
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular

There were 4. Only one died before the big finale.

That means one of them survived being blown the fuck up by an RPG, or popping like a giant water balloon against the side of a tree. Doesn't sit right with me.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    I don't remember one "popping like a water balloon against a tree". I honestly don't think they could get away with a pg 13 rating if that happened.

But the one died due to the rocket launcher.

edited July 2015
    I don't remember one "popping like a water balloon against a tree". I honestly don't think they could get away with a pg 13 rating if that happened.

I remember it quite vividly and was surprised how gruesome it was. Then again this is the same movie with the assistant lady torture scene.

But anyway it happened when Female Protagonist was driving the van with the kids in the back being chased by raptors. One raptor ran along side the van and she swerved into the raptor, ramming the fuck out of it into a tree. Although the scene was dark, there was a very visceral, bloody SPLAT.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular

I remember it quite vividly and was surprised how gruesome it was. Then again this is the same movie with the assistant lady torture scene.

But anyway it happened when Female Protagonist was driving the van with the kids in the back being chased by raptors. One raptor ran along side the van and she swerved into the raptor, ramming the fuck out of it into a tree. Although the scene was dark, there was a very visceral, bloody SPLAT.

The one that hit the tree didn't explode. It fell down. I assume it got back up after.

Yeah that raptor got back up.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Immediately after that, both raptors came after the kids in the back of the van.

Lh96QHG.png
  • HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Just how durable are the raptors?

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    they spared no expense

Lh96QHG.png
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Etiowsa wrote: »

The one that hit the tree didn't explode. It fell down. I assume it got back up after.

Now I'm disappointed the raptor didn't explode when it hit the tree.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

It would be in line with the rest of the movie for the raptors to explode in big balls of flame when they died. Presumably due to firefly DNA mixed in.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'm pretty sure I distinctly recall a second one catching up to one that was knocked down or whatever, and both fleeing into the darkness or whatever.

Gonna have to second this 'it may have been tagged, but no splatting on a tree' side.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »
    Just how durable are the raptors?

All the dinos except the flying ones were shrugging off small to medium arms fire. Which....I don't expect a 9 mm to stop a T-rex or raptor but they're totally gonna know you hit them and long term it's gonna be a problem for them. These dinos were apparently crossbred with Kevlar or something.

I also really enjoyed them making a point of tranking the flying dinosaurs....in the air. Who then fall like 30 feet to the ground. Not sure why they didn't just use bullets there.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Tranq misses are a bit less likely to kill people.

Phoenix-D wrote: »

The tranqs would have to be lethal doses to people for many of the adult dinosaurs.

edited July 2015
    I'm gonna have to take a closer look at the raptor death count the next time I see the movie, which won't be for a while. $45 at the goddamn movie theater. Jesus god damn christ.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    What?!

My ticket was like, $10.

• ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Was the movie actually a play?

Like with a real raptor that gets blown up by a real RPG

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

The tranqs would have to be lethal doses to people for many of the adult dinosaurs.

My bet? They just didn't want the pterasaur shoot-out to be a bloody mess, because that would look ugly and require a lot more work to animate.

With tranqs, they could cut from people firing to sky lizards dropping out of the sky. Easy peasy, in comparison to the alternative.

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    I'm gonna have to take a closer look at the raptor death count the next time I see the movie, which won't be for a while. $45 at the goddamn movie theater. Jesus god damn christ.

Do you have any 3 figure items at the concession stand

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
    I should have said it was 3 tickets. Sorry! It was late. Still, that's without concessions. My eyeballs damn near popped out my head when the register guy asked for $45.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    We saw this last night. Had some good moments, but the thing as a whole was a disappointing mess.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    I saw this yesterday. All of my negative feelings about it have been expressed already in the thread. I just wanted to add one thing

MEDIOCRE!

steam_sig.png
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Moved from another thread.
    Atomika wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Thirith wrote: »
    If Trevarrow gets the IX gig, I'm gonna puke

That guy is an untalented shitheel
    What makes him a shitheel?

I've seen two of his films, and they've both been ugly, craftless, hackneyed piles of shit full of extremely dated sexism and chauvinism.
    Which two? Safety Not Guaranteed and Jurassic World were both good enough.
    Those two

and no
    Yeah, apparently you and I have dramatically different definitions of piles of shit.

But sexism? Really? Why, because there was a capable mother who also worked full time? Or because the career-focused individual with no exposure to children was focused on their career instead of children?

I've seen two of his films, and they've both been ugly, craftless, hackneyed piles of shit full of extremely dated sexism and chauvinism.
    Those two

and no
    Yeah, apparently you and I have dramatically different definitions of piles of shit.

But sexism? Really? Why, because there was a capable mother who also worked full time? Or because the career-focused individual with no exposure to children was focused on their career instead of children?

This. There were a few scenes where the movie went out of its way to shit on Claire and we're supposed to be ok with that.

• HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    If your nephews are coming for a vacation you presumably knew about months in advance it is a dick move to not even meet them off the boat. That is beyond an acceptable level of "career driven".

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    edited July 2015
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    If your nephews are coming for a vacation you presumably knew about months in advance it is a dick move to not even meet them off the boat. That is beyond an acceptable level of "career driven".

Yes, but it's also appropriate to consider that she's a busy lady running a huge multi-million (billion?) dollar company
    and she took care of it by letting her assistant babysit them. She didn't let them fend for themselves when they got off the boat. And they got all the perks of VIP's. It's not the assistant's fault the brats ran off and the family expected her to be their servant the whole day. She's being a responsible adult whose job is on the line if things break down.

edit: Did the family know what her sister does at that company? Her sister didn't seem that concerned to think about what Clair's job is at the park or how huge her responsibilities were.

Harry Dresden on
  • SarcasmoBlasterSarcasmoBlaster Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    So as the last person in America to see this movie, I'll weigh in. It was competent enough. Definitely not the abomination I feared it would be based on the trailers. It certainly borrows heavily from the original, and tries to hit many of the same story beats. Which is fine, I suppose you can do that when it's been 20 years. Problem is, it does nothing better than Jurassic Park, and it ends up coming across as sort of poor man's attempt to recreate the magic of the original. Which sounds like more of a damning criticism that it is, because in the attempt still largely succeeds in being fun.

Sure, every character was a cliche, but that didn't really bother me. Cliches aren't really bad in and of themselves, so if you can make it work, then hey, more power to you. The only exception was the military heavy badguy. He could've served the exact same purpose and been much less over the top. In fact, it would've helped. The idea of people not knowing exactly what the I-Rex was, and that it ended up being (probably) some sort of join effort gene splicing initiative by the military and IN-Gen is a genuinely creepy and potentially scary one. It loses all that though when the bad guy repeatedly launches into super-villain level monologues about how much he loves war. Then it just becomes farce.

Oh, and the kids weren't annoying. Anytime you can pull of a film with non-annoying kids - especially teens - you get a mark in the plus column.

Claire's
    lack of motherly instincts is played up as a huge character flaw. The entire subplot of the boys being out in the park by themselves and the way she reacts to it is pretty crazily sexist.

There's also how she's basically never a prime actor in the movie, instead relying on big strong men with more useful skillsets the whole time. Her response to being told that she was poorly equipped to search for the boys on foot was to tie her shirt in a sexy knot for god's sake, not go look for a pair of boots and strap on some gear.

The male lead, on the other hand, was treated almost universally positively by the story. All the way to the point that their relationship not working the first time was presented as her being too picky.

I don't think I'm even particularly sensitive to this stuff, as my wife usually has to point it out to me, but this movie was pretty bad from that standpoint.

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited July 2015
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Claire's
    lack of motherly instincts is played up as a huge character flaw. The entire subplot of the boys being out in the park by themselves and the way she reacts to it is pretty crazily sexist.

There's also how she's basically never a prime actor in the movie, instead relying on big strong men with more useful skillsets the whole time. Her response to being told that she was poorly equipped to search for the boys on foot was to tie her shirt in a sexy knot for god's sake, not go look for a pair of boots and strap on some gear.

The male lead, on the other hand, was treated almost universally positively by the story. All the way to the point that their relationship not working the first time was presented as her being too picky.

I don't think I'm even particularly sensitive to this stuff, as my wife usually has to point it out to me, but this movie was pretty bad from that standpoint.
    A scene that exemplifies this is during the Pterodactyl attack. The boys see her brutally save Owen while he's being mauled by one, and she mercilessly kills it with a shotgun. Minutes later when she's together with the boys and Owen the punchline when they have to choose which adult to protect them - they choose Owen. All they know about him at that stage was that he works for her and that Claire saved him for a homicidal dinosaur.

Harry Dresden on
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Claire's

A scene that exemplifies this is during the Pterodactyl attack. The boys see her brutally save Owen while he's being mauled by one, and she mercilessly kills it with a shotgun. Minutes later when she's together with the boys and Owen the punchline when they have to choose which adult to protect them - they choose Owen. All they know about him at that stage was that he works for her and that Claire saved him for a homicidal dinosaur.
    To be fair, they also know he's Chris Pratt. And c'mon. That's pretty hard to compete with.

So as the last person in America to see this movie, I'll weigh in. It was competent enough. Definitely not the abomination I feared it would be based on the trailers. It certainly borrows heavily from the original, and tries to hit many of the same story beats. Which is fine, I suppose you can do that when it's been 20 years. Problem is, it does nothing better than Jurassic Park, and it ends up coming across as sort of poor man's attempt to recreate the magic of the original. Which sounds like more of a damning criticism that it is, because in the attempt still largely succeeds in being fun.

Sure, every character was a cliche, but that didn't really bother me. Cliches aren't really bad in and of themselves, so if you can make it work, then hey, more power to you. The only exception was the military heavy badguy. He could've served the exact same purpose and been much less over the top. In fact, it would've helped. The idea of people not knowing exactly what the I-Rex was, and that it ended up being (probably) some sort of join effort gene splicing initiative by the military and IN-Gen is a genuinely creepy and potentially scary one. It loses all that though when the bad guy repeatedly launches into super-villain level monologues about how much he loves war. Then it just becomes farce.

Oh, and the kids weren't annoying. Anytime you can pull of a film with non-annoying kids - especially teens - you get a mark in the plus column.
    The bolded was another huge problem for me.

They basically (maybe actually, I don't know) reused the same theme music and completely missed the point. The scene that really hooked me in the first movie (as a much younger viewer, granted) was that theme slowly building to a big crescendo and when that hits you get the first shot of a field full of dinosaurs and it is mind blowing. This time, on the same musical beat, we got a wide shot of the park.

That was kind of my experience from this movie in a microcosm, minus the whole rampant sexism thing. It was like watching a movie made by a computer program designed to come as close as possible to reproducing the original without doing a shot-by-shot remake, but it can never quite wrap its programming around the human emotion of wonder.

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Claire's

to be fair they also saw him back a car through a narrow hall without hitting anything. This is an important Dino survival skill considering the last 3 movies

Also, reading director interviews, the Zara death is the first time a woman gets killed in Jurassic Park. Didn't know that.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    The entire sexism of Jurassic World can be exemplified by the conversation that basically goes "Not if, but when."

• jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular

Those two

and no

This. There were a few scenes where the movie went out of its way to shit on Claire and we're supposed to be ok with that.
    When did it shit on Claire?
    When she told her sister that she'd spend time with her nephews and then blew them off to work more? What she did was wrong, but it's also totally in line with career focused people.
    Claire's

Is it really her
    lack of motherly instincts that's the huge character flaw, or her Type-A personality?

She sends her assistant (not a child care professional) to watch her nephews, instead of spending time with them like she (presumably) told her sister she would. That's not a lack of motherly instincts, that's being a dick to your sister's kids. It's also totally in line for someone who doesn't have kids and is career-focused: I can't do <thing> right now, I'm too busy. I'll delegate the responsibility instead.

Is that the "lack of motherly instincts" of which you speak?

She's a project manager focused on the financial bottom line. What part of that translates to dinosaur killing skills or wilderness survival? Shouldn't the fact that she immediately goes to the most capable person she knows be a point in her favor?

The lack of sensible footwear was incredibly stupid. She was still wearing heels at the end when she unlocked the T-Rex's paddock? Really? Lame. They also missed out on a Hicks-training-Ripley scene where Pratt shows Howard how to use a gun. Regardless of that, where exactly do you expect her to find "gear" out in the middle of the park?

Also can't argue with Pratt having no flaws, but I saw him as a secondary character in the movie.

I was going to argue further by talking about Claire Dearing's character arc, but she goes from being a career-focused businesswoman without outside interests to learning a lesson about priorities (family is more important than work) and getting a boyfriend. So, uh. Yeah. I guess if you wanted to read that optimistically, you could call that a lesson in work/life balance.

I guess I still kinda half disagree?

I was amused by the Jake Johnson/Lauren Lapkus mini-plot.
    "I am going to heroically stay behind and get a kiss from the girl!"
    "I have a boyfriend."
    "You never mentioned him."
    "Yeah, this is work, it's not appropriate."
    "Oh."

Seemed like a funny inversion of the trope.

• SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Jurassic World cosplay:

GKdGcGv.jpg