As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[tech] It's Tech Spring Cleaning Week now. Clean your....tech....stuff.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    I find myself wanting to install windows 95 on dosbox. is windows 95 something that is readily obtainable? or do I need to ask my grandfather if he still has his installation cd?

It's def out there, you've just got to Google it.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I find myself wanting to install windows 95 on dosbox. is windows 95 something that is readily obtainable? or do I need to ask my grandfather if he still has his installation cd?
    Do not let it touch the internet.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Windows 95 is easily installable from these 26 DMF formatted floppy disks

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    I'm only planning on using it for a few games that do not work on a 64 bit os

Blake T wrote: »

I took my Windows 98SE machine on the internet yesterday. I had to hunt down Firefox 2.0.02 or something like that, it was the last release that really supported Windows 98 but had relatively modern web support. It wasn't terrible! I could browse the forums without any trouble.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    you should install it and connect it to the internet and then just see what happens

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I am fascinated these days by old electronics.

I wish we still had our old Packard Bell, it ran windows 95!

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »

I took my Windows 98SE machine on the internet yesterday. I had to hunt down Firefox 2.0.02 or something like that, it was the last release that really supported Windows 98 but had relatively modern web support. It wasn't terrible! I could browse the forums without any trouble.

You took an machine with an OS that hasn't been supported for a number of years onto the internet. Which means it has a number of vulnerabilities that can't be patched.

It is now full of spyware.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    you should install it and connect it to the internet and then just see what happens

skynet

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List

You took an machine with an OS that hasn't been supported for a number of years onto the internet. Which means it has a number of vulnerabilities that can't be patched.

That might be true, but it wasn't like I did a anything beyond browse these forums to see if it could handle it.

There's none of my personal info on that machine, it was a freshly formatted hard drive bought second-hand that had also been formatted by the store I bought it from. Even if it's full of spyware, I'll just format the drive and put Windows back on it.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    it's probably already part of several botnets

BahamutZERO.gif
    Also, it's not permanently attached to the internet. It's currently physically disconnected.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    (I don't know anything)

BahamutZERO.gif
  • CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    So I've spent the past few months idly trying to find the simplest, most user friendly password solution for my partner's mother. Eventually came to 1Password and thought I'd see what it's like.

Everything became a blur and suddenly I've replaced KeePass with 1Password for my own passwords.

Also, using Windows 10 on my day-to-day phone has contributed to this. The two reliable KeePass apps for WP don't really like Windows 10 Mobile that much. The 1Password alpha for WP seems to work fine so far, though.

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    1P is pretty great

• PeasPeas Registered User regular

That might be true, but it wasn't like I did a anything beyond browse these forums to see if it could handle it.

There's none of my personal info on that machine, it was a freshly formatted hard drive bought second-hand that had also been formatted by the store I bought it from. Even if it's full of spyware, I'll just format the drive and put Windows back on it.

Nice shirt you are wearing there heheheh

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Even unpatched XP, just left online with no user interaction, will end up with spyware on it. If you do have an old PC online, at least try and isolate it from other things on your network and don't plug USB drives into it.

1password has in my opinion better workflow than lastpass (or at least what I see from Vivienne using it)

and the cmd + \ is pretty nuts once you get used to using it like that.

Is there a windows equivalent?

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    1password has in my opinion better workflow than lastpass (or at least what I see from Vivienne using it)

and the cmd + \ is pretty nuts once you get used to using it like that.

Is there a windows equivalent?

ctrl+\

And I agree about LastPass. We started using the Enterprise edition at work and there's some really weird quirks:

You can clone (duplicate) an existing entry, but only when accessing it through LastPass.com. If you want to right-click on an entry and copy a username or password, that can only be done using the browser extension.

• CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    LastPass frustrated me for every one of the fifteen minutes I tried a couple of months ago to get to grips with it. I just went back to KeePass.

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Also lastpass got compromised recently, though it was all hashed and salted so not so bad.

my search for windows 95 came up empty but I did find windows XP which should serve my needs. now I just need to remember how to partition a drive, which I haven't done in over a decade

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    pimento wrote: »
    Also lastpass got compromised recently, though it was all hashed and salted so not so bad.

Salted hashbrowns? Damnit man, I'm hungry and you are NOT helping!

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

You joke, but before he was banned TheSonicRetard built a PC with old parts and installed Win95 this way so he could install and play a shitload of old dos games he has natively.

JtgVX0H.png
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »

You joke, but before he was banned TheSonicRetard built a PC with old parts and installed Win95 this way so he could install and play a shitload of old dos games he has natively.

I'm not even joking
    Most copies of Windows 95 were on CD-ROM, but a floppy version could also be had for older machines. The retail floppy disk version of Windows 95 came on 13 DMF formatted floppy disks, while OSR 2.1 doubled the floppy count to 26. Both versions exclude additional software that CD-ROM might have featured. Microsoft Plus! for Windows 95 was also available on floppy disks. DMF was a special 19-sector format Microsoft used to store 1.7MB on floppies rather than the usual 1.44MB. While the floppy edition of Windows was normally on 3.5" disks, a 5.25" version could be specially ordered as well.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I remember when programs could come in boxes of 3.25" floppies. Luckily we mostly used CD-ROM since our $2000 1994 AST Advantage had a multimedia suite and d-drive.

It ran MegaRace like crap, though.

I was really glad that I bothered to pick up an old USB floppy drive from Goodwill a while back. I needed to create a boot disk floppy to properly format the new hard drive in my Windows 98 PC, and I was doubly lucky because the USB drive had a floppy in it. I don't know where I would have gotten a floppy otherwise. Do places like Best Buy still carry floppies in store?

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I'm trying to remember what game I had that came with a ton of floppies. It wasn't Quest for Glory 4, that was only nine disks. I want to say it was a Lucas Arts game... I know we had a version of word or office that was like 30+ disks.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    This talk of floppies, I want to run home and photograph our recently-unearthed box of old PC games, absolutely rammed with boxes (back when they came in cardboard, with manuals that'd kill your dog) of floppy discs. I think my most prized is an X-Wing plus both(?) expansions pack. Had to beg and plead for my parents to let me get that.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • intropintrop Registered User regular
    So Microsoft will let developers who subscribe to their MSDN program download just about anything they've made. Like, you can go grab old versions of (and keys for) Office to test bugs, ancient versions of SQL Server to test migration paths, obscure language versions of unsupported Windows XP, the Enterprise versions of Win 8.1, whatever. MS considers this pretty important, given their almost pathological commitment to application compatibility, etc.

Among the very few things you cannot download any more: Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows NT 4. When Microsoft settled with Sun over Java, they agreed to never distribute the infringing products again. :(

Steam ID: highentropy
  • I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    I'm trying to remember what game I had that came with a ton of floppies. It wasn't Quest for Glory 4, that was only nine disks. I want to say it was a Lucas Arts game... I know we had a version of word or office that was like 30+ disks.

The last game I got on floppy was Police Quest 4, which I think was 24 discs.

It kind of amazes me that there was a time when packaging 24 floppies was seen as a worthwhile investment vs. only releasing a game on a single CD.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    There was a time when not everyone was assured to have a CD drive on their computer

there was a brief window when games came in like 4 CDs instead of 1 DVD

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    It took a lot longer than I expected for PC games to start coming out on DVD.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    the multi-CD cases were especially bad

the flipping and the contorting going on in those jewel cases...

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I was really glad that I bothered to pick up an old USB floppy drive from Goodwill a while back. I needed to create a boot disk floppy to properly format the new hard drive in my Windows 98 PC, and I was doubly lucky because the USB drive had a floppy in it. I don't know where I would have gotten a floppy otherwise. Do places like Best Buy still carry floppies in store?

I sold the last 100 3.25" floppy diskettes in the metro-Atlanta area as far as I can tell, and that was 3 years ago.

Your only chance is to find somewhere with a big warehouse of unused electronics or to buy it online. Nearly all companies have stopped production on floppies so there's a limit supply.

Jasconius wrote: »
    There was a time when not everyone was assured to have a CD drive on their computer

there was a brief window when games came in like 4 CDs instead of 1 DVD

Oh, I am well familiarized with the multi-CD era. That was when I really started getting into PC gaming.

I know that floppies were cheap to manufacture, and you're right about CD drives not being common until the mid-late '90s, but putting together 24 of them per retail package just seems absurd.

I had the 5 cd BG1 plastic thing and it fell apart almost instantly. was awful

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Fun thing with this iOS 9 beta. My iPad shows it is not connected to wifi. Yet I am typing this on the Internet.

Ghost Internet!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• ManishtushuManishtushu Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Found this in our IT department storage behind a stack of floppies. We may have a hoarding problem.
    wzbmxrwm46rt.jpg

Manishtushu on
This discussion has been closed.