As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Rocket League]: PA Rocket Society on Friday Nights

QanamilQanamil xRegistered User regular
edited April 2018 in Games and Technology
The officially unofficial PA Rocket League Discord server: https://discord.gg/6gC8v3Z (If you never used discord before get it here: https://discordapp.com/download It's pretty awesome)
PA Rocket League steam group!: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/PA-RocketLeague

Helpful links!
OzIOPeh.jpg

More tips from @Sceptre!
ALSO: figured I would do a little write up on this since I haven't really seen this info presented in other places, and it's pretty useful RL info.

Aerial Takeoff Tips

Aerials are hard. They take some practice to get the hang of, and even then they can be tricky. While the majority of the aerial normally takes place in the air, making clean contact often has more to do with your positioning and setup before you start flying at the ball.

There are three major aerial takeoff techniques you should know about, and each of them are useful at different times.

A "standard" aerial is most likely what you are already doing. You jump, tilt back, and then boost into the air as three separate actions. This should be the aerial you use most of the time, and should be the one you work on the most in Aerial training. It has the advantage of giving you the most accurate level of control, but it is not terribly useful for quickly gaining Vertical height.

The next type of aerial is very similar, but involves double jumping before you boost. You still have a lot of control over your car, but with added advantage of some extra vertical speed. This jump is most useful when you are directly beneath the ball, and often comes into play when you are goal tending. The trade off on this jump is that you have already committed to using your second jump, so you don't have any potential to flip or dodge into the ball. But if the ball was positioned in a place where you wanted to double jump at it, it's likely the cooldown on your second jump would already have expired by the time you got to the ball anyways.

Finally, my favorite take-off, I call "THE SUPER JUMP" (yes, in all caps). The technique is this. You Jump and Boost at the same time. Rather than separating your jump, tilt, boost into separate actions, you combine them all at once. For those of you who play with a 360 Controller, I execute this takeoff by mashing the Jump and Boost buttons at the same time with my thumb.

This jump throws you forward into the air really quickly which is both this jump's strength and weakness. You receive a violent boost forward in horizontal momentum, but shoot into the air like a missile. This jump is most useful in the opposite situation as the previously mentioned Double Jump. Good luck hitting the ball if it's above your car, you will likely blast too far forwards and whiff in embarrassing fashion. Instead, this jump is most ideal in situations where you are being contested in the air. Eventually you reach a point where people are much more confident contesting your aerials, and it becomes important not only to successfully hit the ball, but to make sure you hit the ball first. Furthermore, this jump has the advantage of leaving you the option of using your second flip/jump, allowing you to make some very precise and deadly strikes.

Advanced Shit:
If the ball is very high in the air, yet far enough away that you can safely SUPER JUMP, you can actually combo in your second jump at takeoff to gain extra height. Mechanically, it looks like this:
Jump+Boost at same time, release jump but continue boosting, tilt back slightly, quickly return your thumbstick to neutral position, jump again, then continue your tilt (make sure to be boosting throughout). If you mess up the timing of the tilt and the second jump it's very easy to accidentally do a backflip which looks hilarious and everyone will laugh. However, once you master this technique you will take to the skies extremely quickly and with a speed that lets you win mid-air challenges you would have otherwise lost.

Good luck, and happy flying!

The whole premise of Rocket League is that you're playing soccer, but with over-powered RC cars. You can boost, you can double-jump, and when you introduce three other people it's chaos.

The game is a sequel to Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars.

Rocket League is available on PC and PS4. BONUS: it's one of the free games included in PS+ this month! It's also now available on XBone!

Generic picture!
s5d58Ro.jpg

Here's what the top players in the world are capable of doing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI1xuE6OUuU

I've seen several of you on PS4 playing, so let's start playing together!

@Muffinatron put together a Google Spreadsheet to keep track of Steam and PSN names. Add yourself up and join the fun!

Qanamil on

• OddfishOddfish On opposite weeks In odd numbered monthsRegistered User regular
    This game is god damned excellent.

• Emperor_ZEmperor_Z Registered User regular
    I've been watching this game a lot on NorthernLion's channels lately, and it looks like a blast.

• QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    My biggest issue is learning how to flip the car around in the air. I keep the camera set to the ball cam and I'm always trying to push the stick to/from the ball to flip toward/away from it, but it looks like the controls are absolute. Up is always flip forward, etc. Taking some effort to wrap my brain around. Especially when trying to flip back over instead of landing on my roof.

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    My biggest issue is learning how to flip the car around in the air. I keep the camera set to the ball cam and I'm always trying to push the stick to/from the ball to flip toward/away from it, but it looks like the controls are absolute. Up is always flip forward, etc. Taking some effort to wrap my brain around. Especially when trying to flip back over instead of landing on my roof.

You should probably turn off ball cam once you're headed in the right direction, it's a lot easier to aim that way.

• DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    This game is great and everyone should play it.

If you want to see some god tier play, follow this channel:

• nusunusu Registered User regular
    I'm so terrible at this, but it's so fun!

• WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    This is a really fun game that I cant ever see myself getting good at

Also that 1v2 replay you posted @Dirtyboy is ridiculous.

Kronovi playing with his three player team in ESL tourney:

I'm actually steadily making progress on improvement. I actually won a game where we were 2 against 3 yesterday. Skill levels definitely vary wildly though.

• shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    holy jeezus the shit that guy is doing with his car.

I discovered this game last night and am in love with it. I can't play more than an hour at a sitting or I get a terrible case of controller claw, though.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    shalmelo wrote: »
    I can't play more than an hour at a sitting or I get a terrible case of controller claw, though.

I played a shit-tonne of it today and now I have what used to be known as Tetris Thumb. Think it might actually have gotten as far as a blister.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    Having a goalie can be a huge help. Even if you are only rushing forward and clearing the ball when it gets knocked to your side.

On the other hand, since there are no rules, it can be great fun to do nothing but harass/blow up/knock around the opposing team's goalie. Expect to receive hate mail from people that take the game a bit too seriously though.

Ratsult2 wrote: »
    Having a goalie can be a huge help. Even if you are only rushing forward and clearing the ball when it gets knocked to your side.

I've found success playing a kind of sweeper role. I don't play all the way back in our goals, but I stick around just inside my team's half of the field making sure I keep a near full tank of boost. If I need to move back to the goal to defend I have a decent head start on everyone else, but it also means if my team mates manage to centre the ball well enough I can use a massive spurt of boost to drive from deep to knock it in.

On the occasions that it works, it works amazingly well. Had a game last night where we won 9-0 and I scored 8 with that strategy.

• nusunusu Registered User regular
    I wish we could build a PA team or 2 to take on the world. I'd probably be relegated to the d team or some such, but it'd still be a blast!

• DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Man this game is just so much fun. But I'm really killing my hands with how intensely I grip the controller.

I'm finding it helpful to actually just stand back from the action instead of trying to ram the ball as much as I can and waiting for that opportune moment to line up a shot into the goal.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
    So I played a while online with @Corporal Carl

I have to say, like most other games, it is way way way more fun playing with friends in your team. Then even the disasters are funny.

Awesome! I'm definitely seeing more people on PS4 playing it now, so hopefully we can get more PA group games together.

It's still a mix of talent in the ranked 3v3 games I've played recently. More people are playing goalie or mid-field now rather than chasing the ball endlessly so that's good. Not seeing many accurate aerial hits yet though.

• FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Been playing this a lot, once you start trying to fly to hit the ball it really changes a lot.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • ContentContextContentContext Registered User regular
    Having a blast with this. It's getting easier to tell when someone is new(strange to say, considering the game is a week old). Can't count the number of times a teammate has ruined an easy shot with some poorly angled hit.

Anyone else find themselves working extra hard to score, when a teammate is replaced with a bot? I hate to win a game with the AI being the to scorer.

Having a blast with this. It's getting easier to tell when someone is new(strange to say, considering the game is a week old). Can't count the number of times a teammate has ruined an easy shot with some poorly angled hit.

I think it says a lot about the player-base that the 4th rarest trophy (excluding the platinum) is the one you get for doing all of the training drills. You don't even need to ace them, just do them.

Anyway, I'm two trophies shy of the platinum now, the complete gear collection and the 500k trophies so it's more a matter of when rather than if.

I'm really tempted to use the rubber band trick for the 500k trophy, that sounds like it's going to take forever. Especially given kms done in online matches don't seem to be counting.

• E-gongaE-gonga Registered User regular
    Anyone else find themselves working extra hard to score, when a teammate is replaced with a bot? I hate to win a game with the AI being the to scorer.

Yeah, I don't enjoy playing with AI teammates, especially if the opposition don't have one to balance things out. My brother and I were in a 3v3 with an AI teammate and he scored 7 frickin' goals. It was a hallow victory.

Loving the game so far. Trying to find mid-week games on GMT can be difficult, although the ability to hop into Free Training while you wait is a blessing.

• DracilDracil Registered User regular
    Yeah the AI is a lot better scorer than most players if given the chance.

Still don't think I'm near good enough to do aerials. Took me a bunch of tries just to hit the rocket-boost ball in the tutorial.

I did read that a lot of players find it easier to map all the square buttons to L1 and mapping boost to Square. Gonna try that out tonight.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide

• KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    The best part of this game is getting blindsided by a teammate while going for an easy goal because they wanted the goal themselves.

• Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Hey, on the giant bombcast this week, they were talking about some guy who recorded some Rocket League videos with INSANE tricks, like leaping off a wall to hit a ball from the center of the court at 20' in the air straight into the goal, or air-dribbling the ball the entire length of the court. Anyone happen to know where I can find this?

Is it that Camgears guy you keep linking?

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    edited July 2015
    Yep, he's one of the top players in the world. Kronovi is his IGN.

The vid you asked about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kI1xuE6OUuU

Dirtyboy on
    Christ on the rocket-powered cross.

What will really get your goat is times he decides to drive backwards the entire match and plays just as good.

I just subscribed to him on Twitch, just for that video alone.

• LehmanLehman Registered User regular
    On PC, is it better to play with KBAM or a 360 controller?

Xbox Live: LehmanCM
    SteamID: steamcommunity.com/id/lehmancm/
    BnS: Draggan (Server:Poharan)
  • FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Not sure if it is just placebo or what but I've found hitting it backwards feels more powerful than front flips.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Lehman wrote: »
    On PC, is it better to play with KBAM or a 360 controller?

General consensus on the Rocket League forums seems to be that it plays just fine with KBAM, but that it really feels like it was designed for a controller. I've got an old PS3-style controller hooked up and prefer to play that way.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
    Just recorded this, uploading to youtube is surprisingly painless!

About 30 seconds of putzing around and generally being bad followed by an incredibly fortuitous pass:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOGYdRvjGCA

edited July 2015
    GiantBomb East vs. West: Rocket League edition:
    http://www.twitch.tv/giantbomb/v/7711798

Dunno how quickly things are archived, but it's there for now.

Qanamil on
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    It is watchable on GB right now

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    At first I wasn't sure about this game. I was like soccer with rocket cars huh? I dunno how much fun that's going to be. Then I watched the Kronovi stream and I figured I would give it a shot. This game is deceivingly addicting and fun, I honestly did not expect to like it as much as I do. After playing a bunch of 3v3s I figured I would give a 1v1 a try just to see the difference in dynamic. It was intense and I'm still awful at controlling the jumping, but I ended the match with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVyXd7qeiys

Yeah, this is an awesome game.

KoopahTroopah on
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    This game is fucking awesome

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I need this game to support actual leagues and teams.

I am so in love with it.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow