As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Lets Play Alien Isolation] Part 8 Still Medical

• ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    Take your time, man.

Like the game, the build up to it is part of the fun. =P

Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Working joes more like working assholes am i right?

Okay so I got enough for several updates now and the next part will be up tomorrow. Still not up to the most infamous section yet but I have met our mutual buddy and he sure was pretty.
    I'm moving fairly slowly through this because I am completely terrified so don't expect things to move at a hectic clip. Sorry in advance for being terribad at this.
    I'm getting ridiculously lost in this station. I can't really work out where to go and the motion track hasn't been helping much since it seems fairly literal. I seem to be going down all the dead ends.

I only play in chunks, too. If I quit playing while something tense is happening (I've just met the working joes for the first time) I have to force myself to go back.

Alien Isolation is tense as fuck, and it's all down to the audio.

The fact that the music will ramp up when an alarm goes off means you're just extra tense, instead of the regular tense you were before.

I've just started chapter 6 so still have a way to go yet...

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Oh I do that too.
    But I mean I'm moving super slowly because I literally go the wrong direction while stealthing, realise I'm going the wrong way, turn around, try to go back, get a random idea to check out this place, find there's nothing there and half the time I end up at the objective by mistake.

I hid from the very first working joe you meet in the corridor for ages, trying to work out how to get around him, before finally sneaking up to him and then a conversation starts....

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    You robo-racist.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    When the robot revolution happens I will totally be the one that sees it coming ahead of time.
    In fact, I'll probably cause it.
    Wait...

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Oh I do that too.
    But I mean I'm moving super slowly because I literally go the wrong direction while stealthing, realise I'm going the wrong way, turn around, try to go back, get a random idea to check out this place, find there's nothing there and half the time I end up at the objective by mistake.

I hid from the very first working joe you meet in the corridor for ages, trying to work out how to get around him, before finally sneaking up to him and then a conversation starts....

I found that the map got a bit confusing when multiple levels started showing up. One waypoint was just outside the room I was in, but I couldn't get to it. After a lot of head scratching, I realised it was on another floor...

edited July 2015
    Yeah it does that a lot.
    The motion track is also very unhelpful if you are in an enclosed place or a small room. It only points out of the room. The actual place you might want to go could be completely the opposite direction from where it is pointing at the time. I would prefer it if it was a bit smarter about that. I can tell when there isn't a way through a wall.
    There's no point telling me I have to go out of a cupboard or something like that. I know? Thankyou for the useless information.
    It ends up confusing me because I think it means to keep going in that direction then realise I've gone down the wrong corridor and its actually turned around and is now pointing the other way.
    I also didn't realise until the end of the last update I recorded yesterday that the motion tracker will tell you if there is a contact behind you or to the side with those arrows, so you don't have to spin like a top in a panic in every room.

I'm starting to wonder if I should play this with controller because the main thrust of the game is basically not shooting anything and the quick select wheel would be a lot more sensible on a controller. I'll have a play around with it next time I boot it up.

edit: I backed up my save and replayed a bit I've already done with the controller. I had to manually remap a couple of buttons cos none of the control schemes were quite what I wanted, but other than being a little bit confused by some context prompts I like it better. You get more granularity on peeking and looking around inside lockers, and you get more movement speeds, so you can slow walk and slow crouch and everything in between.
    If I encounter a spot where I need mouse movement because I'm dying too much I'll swap back for that, but from now on I think I'll play with controller. I did have to turn down the vibration in my third party ap though, the default is rather extreme. But the fact that it vibrates at all when something comes into range is so useful.
    Also something the game didn't tell me. You can hold F to reload your torch batteries. I had no idea...

Morninglord on
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

A small spoiler about the scene around 6:00 minutes into your video (it's about something you're past, but didn't see):
    If you wait too long once the tram arrives, the alien shows up and kills you. As far as I know, it's the earliest that you can die from the alien.

If you time things just right, you can close the tram doors and escape just as the alien arrives.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    edited July 2015
    I actually knew that already which is why I was so nervous. :)
    Basically, I knew it could rock up there. I didn't know it had to be after the tram arrived though.
    I suspect if you went around banging the wrench on walls you'd end up with it popping out without needing to summon the tram at all.

Morninglord on
    Blimey it gets tense doesn't it?

I wasn't imagining the entire room getting darker while you were waiting for the train, was I?

I turned off the flashlight midway, unless you mean something else.

edited July 2015
    It was like ambient lighting dimmed.

And then I noticed the steam a lot more...

And then the music started to become more tense.

And then I was like LOOK ALL OVER THE ROOM HE'S GOING TO GET YOU

And then you went into the tram

And then I was like YOU'RE NOT OUT OF THE WOODS YET HE'S GOING TO JUMP ON THE WINDO-oh, loading screen, rightyo then.

ecco the dolphin on
    edited July 2015
    I had to manually go through and silence all my keypresses because I set it to unidirectional by mistake for that session and it picked them up so loudly that noise reduction made them sound like horrible alien digital freak sounds.
    But I left in a few of them, and one of them was the mashing sounds as I hammer the e button as soon as I get in the tram.
    I knew there was gonna be a button somewhere and I was gonna make sure I pressed it soon as my view hit it.

Honestly, even though this beastie is definitely going to eat me and freak me out a whole ton, I actually find it slightly less scary visually than the ones from aliens. It's so man in a suity.
    Whereas the ones in aliens crawled all the time, which made them feel less human.
    If this thing could crawl on the goddam walls and ceilings as it came at me I would lose my shit instantly upon sight.

Morninglord on
  • GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    You'd be surprised at how many people get killed in that room with the tram.

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Just bear in mind that you are still not a duck, and you should be fine eventually.

9KmX8eN.jpg
    I know your game.
    The last person who said that died messily.

edited July 2015
    https://youtu.be/tYXdTFwNQRY

Part B will be tomorrow as usual.

Morninglord on
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I was waiting for you to get to that part.

Regarding AI in that update
    I don't think the alien behaviour around the elevator is 100% scripted. He never showed up in that scene until the scavengers there opened fire on me. I booked it past them as soon as I heard the alien come out of the vent behind me after that.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
    edited July 2015
    https://youtu.be/1n2-9zu1IeA

Just a little note. I do actually fully understand rewire points now. When I went back through this section to learn controller I figured it out finally.
    However I backed up the lets play save first and reverted back to it afterwards so any mistakes I've made will remain.

Morninglord on
    Finally got my ass into gear and made a playlist which I added to the op. For all your seamless viewing pleasure.

edited July 2015
    It was like ambient lighting dimmed.

And then I noticed the steam a lot more...

And then the music started to become more tense.

And then I was like LOOK ALL OVER THE ROOM HE'S GOING TO GET YOU

And then you went into the tram

And then I was like YOU'RE NOT OUT OF THE WOODS YET HE'S GOING TO JUMP ON THE WINDO-oh, loading screen, rightyo then.

Just watching that scene, I was more fearful than I've ever been watching any horror movie.

When this series started, I decided to try to play some Alien: Isolation, so I can enjoy these videos from a place of fresh empathy rather than simple sympathy. I made it as far as the fifth level before I got the point where I was immediately just saying "Nope" as soon as I saw the alien. Today, I finally put my daddy kilt on and decided that one way or another, I was going to play out that level. For my efforts, I got Run. Hide. Survive.
    Those twenty minutes or so, replaying a level I had played half a year ago, were some of the tensest moments I've ever had while gaming. At one point, I went to a save station, tried to save. I accidently chose "No" when it asked me if I wanted to overwrite a previous save, so I tried again. Just before the save went off, I heard the alien at the door. I decided to go through with the save and hit overwrite this time, and immediately ducked down. I scuttled around the table in a crouch as the alien stomped up to where I had been just two seconds before. The alien did her sniffing thing, and then took a step to its right, and I scuttled around again so that we still had the table between us. The alien turned around, and then followed her original path out of the room. Later, when I was almost out of Medical, I put the keycard in the elevator, and then had trouble moving the camera (I was using a controller) over the "elevator go down" button. I heard the thump of the alien dropping out of the lift, and then the stompstompstomp of her running. I found the button in time, but man I wish I knew just how close I was.
    This game.

Edit: Wait, I have a better image.
    00BE93F7C961E2195528AFC2EFC072C825203AFC

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Maybe it's friendly.

It just wants a hug.

• NbspNbsp she laughs, like God her mind's like a diamondRegistered User regular
    How is this game with oculus rift?

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Nbsp wrote: »
    I haven't tried it myself but I imagine the answer is something to the effect of "*terrified gurgling through mouth froth*"

edited July 2015
    Sounds like a good way to discover a previously unknown heart defect.
    Of course when I say "good" I mean in terms of time at least.
    Not, you know, based on outcome.

Morninglord on
  • Mostly HarmlessMostly Harmless Registered User regular
    Nbsp wrote: »

Brilliant. The integration is almost there (using computers is a bit of a mess). And the increasing motion sickness adds to the atmosphere. I limit myself to about 15m at a time to avoid my brain melting from that, but I can't go back to playing it without the Rift.

I greatly apologise for this, but it is unlikely I will manage to find the time to record, process and upload a video before next weekend. So considering how very busy I have been due to life I will have to have a break this week.
    I should have recorded a couple more updates when I had the time a few weeks back.

edited August 2015
    Ok the busy period is hopefully winding down a bit!
    I managed to record just now, got in a solid thirty minutes.
    Should be up in the next couple of days.
    Right at the end of this update a word was spoken.
    The Penny Arcade Alien Isolation thread is basically a collective scream of fear layered with the background crunching sounds of alien jaws snacking upon tasty player meats. Heard from afar this cacophony resolves itself into a single word, every bloody letter formed out of a hundred different cries of abject terror.*
    Medical.

Morninglord on
  • MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    Ah yes

This is the update I've been waiting for

To this day I still can't utter the word -- med... medi... no, no, too many memories.

I hope you suffer as much as I did

:D

edited August 2015
    Melkster wrote: »
    Ah yes

To this day I still can't utter the word -- med... medi... no, no, too many memories.

I decided that I was going to try to get all of the achievements in the game and replayed it a few times. By the time I was on my Hard mode run, Medical didn't even bother me. I knew where to go and what to do and how to do it. Easy-peasy. Everything was fine until. . . that part. You know the one.

Reactor Maintenance still makes me curl up in a ball and cry. The sign above it should read "Abandon Hope, All Ye Who Enter Here." I made it to Reactor Maintenance on Hard with about three deaths and without using any flamethrower fuel at all. I died about five or six times in Reactor Maintenance and had to use the flamethrower to survive.

On Hard, after leaving Reactor Maintenance, I didn't use the flamethrower again until the very end, when it was facehugger city and I didn't need to worry about conserving it. It turns out that walking with purpose and using gadgets are more powerful than the flamethrower.

Shadowhope on
    edited August 2015
    Ah yes

Not this one, next one.

Morninglord on
    Ah yes

Not this one, next one.

You really have no idea just how eager we are to see this.

Something that I've been pretty impressed by about people talking about the game on the Intermet as a whole:
    It's really rare that I see people spoiling the fact that there's more than one alien.

Something I didn't know until my most recent runs: you can have two aliens spawned at once in the reactor and in the sequence where you set up the docking clamps.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Yo Morninglord might not know that!

Oh brilliant
    I wont click it then. I've been generally assuming spoilers are related to what I've already shown or if I'm talking about a section I've just played but haven't posted it yet etc. If you want to post something that is definitely something I haven't seen yet please mark it.

I do know a lot of ways to get around the alien because a lot of that is posted outside of spoilers everywhere. I doubt it will help too much because realising it was following me in the vents in this last update caused me to freak out so much I couldn't even think properly.
    I'll probably just get myself eaten due to thinking I know what I'm doing without having any experience with it.

I'm hoping I don't die over and over and over but I probably will. In that case, I'm not entirely sure what to do about it. Do you guys want to see it all with my commentary of what I'm thinking about? Or just a montage of deaths and skip the learning part?
    If its really as hard as everyone makes it out to be the next couple of weeks could just be me dying repeatedly. :)

I've been using the spoiler tags to hide anything past what you might have seen.

Personally, when it comes to progress, what I'd like best would be progress until death and then progress past that. So, if you make it from A to B to C, great, and if you die between C and D, show us the first death, and then go straight to actually making it between C and D.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Well, also show hilarious/tense deaths

KGMvDLc.jpg?1