As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Megagame] Stand Still Stay Silent - Game Ends

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Aw shit son*

*This is not Egypt's official response

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Baidol wrote: »
    KetBra wrote: »
    For Immediate Release
    NEW YORK (13 July 2015) - Today, Beijing's delegation to the United Nations has formally presented a draft proposal calling for the creation of a international scientific institution to be head-quartered on the island of Hainan, dedicated to the study and treatment of infectious diseases. "The Chinese Government believes strongly in the role of science in combating the spread of contagious diseases, and believe this proposed centre will be a large step towards further understanding highly infectious diseases and their patterns of infection. We call upon all member nations to support our proposal for the creation of the UNCSID [United Nations Commision for the Study of Infectious Diseases]." This comes on the heels of several further initiatives announced earlier today in Beijjing directed at limiting the spread of infectious disease.
    The Chinese Delegation to the United Nations submits a Funding proposal for the creation of a infectious disease research centre.
    Does the Chinese Delegation have a proposal for who will fund this new institution?
    An equally-good question is why, apart from the obvious, they feel it's useful to have it in the Pacific nowhere near any other major power. A much more-sensible location would be a nation such as India or Spain. Spain in particular seems like a better location for the center, considering they're already on the front lines, as it were.
    Strictly quarantining the site of the outbreak is a more sensible solution. As Asia is the most populous continent on earth, so should the site of the research center be in Asia. China, India, and Russia would all be good choices.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    The Chinese delegation would also point to the numerous UN agencies already head-quartered in Europe.

To be a truly international organization, the UN must have an international presence.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    China seems awfully concerned about a small outbreak on the other side of two continents. Is there something you know about this disease that you're not telling anyone?

Radius on
    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    China is no stranger to the spread of disease. Just as we have moved decisively and aggressively to combat SARS and the avian flu in the past, we will remain vigilant against this new infection. Strong, decisive action is key to the prevention of the spread of any outbreak, and this new Spanish contagion is no different.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Are regional organizations such as the CIS, Nato, and EU present in this game?

edited July 2015
    Radius wrote: »
    China seems awfully concerned about a small outbreak on the other side of two continents. Is there something you know about this disease that you're not telling anyone?
    Does South Africa forget so quickly? Within the last two decades, we have faced both SARS and H1N1. We can ill afford to let a contagious pathogen come into contact with a densely packed population center.

Early containment and a rapid response will minimize the threat to all our peoples.

jdarksun on
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    Phyphor wrote: »
    For Immediate Release
    NEW YORK (13 July 2015) - Today, Beijing's delegation to the United Nations has formally presented a draft proposal calling for the creation of a international scientific institution to be head-quartered on the island of Hainan, dedicated to the study and treatment of infectious diseases. "The Chinese Government believes strongly in the role of science in combating the spread of contagious diseases, and believe this proposed centre will be a large step towards further understanding highly infectious diseases and their patterns of infection. We call upon all member nations to support our proposal for the creation of the UNCSID [United Nations Commision for the Study of Infectious Diseases]." This comes on the heels of several further initiatives announced earlier today in Beijjing directed at limiting the spread of infectious disease.

The Chinese Delegation to the United Nations submits a Funding proposal for the creation of a infectious disease research centre.

Does the Chinese Delegation have a proposal for who will fund this new institution?

An equally-good question is why, apart from the obvious, they feel it's useful to have it in the Pacific nowhere near any other major power. A much more-sensible location would be a nation such as India or Spain. Spain in particular seems like a better location for the center, considering they're already on the front lines, as it were.

And if we cannot contain the spread, having the research centre square in the quarantine zone is not exactly an ideal scenario! Science works better without roving mobs outside.

We agree with this assessment.
    Luckily our country is both handily located and surrounded by water, so we'd consider a centre on UK soil most practical.

I'm afraid that any European location must be considered potentially at risk; water might be an effective barrier, but we do not yet know what the incubation period is - for all we know it has already left Spain by air and there are a very large number of intra-European flights

• SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Additionally, the UK has a presence in the south of Spain already, in their enclave of Gibraltar.

For all we know the disease has spread from there to the homeland already.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Not to mention the fact that, as quoted by your own Guardian newspaper, " Up to 400 trains pass through the tunnel (the English/French tunnel) each day, carrying an average of 50,000 passengers, 6,000 cars, 180 coaches and 54,000 tonnes of freight" and further "last year a record 20.4 million passengers were transported between Britain and France using the tunnel."

Given those self admitted facts, I do not believe your borders to be nearly as insulated as you think they are from this new disease.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/france/10809946/The-Channel-Tunnel-20-fascinating-facts.html

Assuran on
    My fellow world leaders:

While this disease is a threat to us all, I urge restraint. If we allow ours selves to panic, there will be no stopping this plague.

Reacting to quickly and with fear may cause alarm in the amongst the people. We must act calm and bravely, despite the perils ahead.

• Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular

A good assumption to make is that this game is essentially the same as the world we live in, other than whatever the hosts say otherwise.

Since I'm not really sure what you really want as far as a response goes, that's all I'll say.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Does South Africa forget so quickly? Within the last two decades, we have faced both SARS and H1N1. We can ill afford to let a contagious pathogen come into contact with a densely packed population center.

Early containment and a rapid response will minimize the threat to all our peoples.

This definitely wasn't the question I asked, but thank you for your empty politics, Mr. President.

A good assumption to make is that this game is essentially the same as the world we live in, other than whatever the hosts say otherwise.

Since I'm not really sure what you really want as far as a response goes, that's all I'll say.

Does this mean that nations in alliances irl start in said alliances in game?

• Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular

Clarification Denied.

Alternative Answer: Why don't you ask them yourself?

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Assuran wrote: »
    La República Argentina is willing to discuss the terms of the United Kingdom's ceding of the Islas Malvinas which is illegally occupied by foreign invaders since 1833.

We'd be looking at ceding control to the people of the Isles first and foremost.

edited July 2015

Clarification Denied.

Ask who?

Edit: I'm talking neutral nations, not player controlled. Knowing who is under whose nuclear umbrella is kinda important.

JusticeforPluto on
    edited July 2015
    La República Argentina is willing to discuss the terms of the United Kingdom's ceding of the Islas Malvinas which is illegally occupied by foreign invaders since 1833.

We'd be looking at ceding control to the people of the Isles first and foremost.

The population on the island are currently foreign invaders who have no say in the rightful sovereignty of the Islas Malvinas. La República Argentina protested the illegal annexation of the the Islas Malvinas in 1833 when the United Kingdom annexed them by naval force.

It is ironic that the representatives of the United Kingdom condemn the Russian annexation of Crimea when that is exactly what the United Kingdoms did to the Islas Malvinas in 1833.

Assuran on

This definitely wasn't the question I asked, but thank you for your empty politics, Mr. President.
    Co-operation and shared policies are the exact opposite of empty politics: we are put forth a proposal on how to deal with the emerging issue. If you do not wish to take action for the good of all people, then we will not force you.

If we knew something vital about the nature of the disease, we would share it. That will be accomplished through isolation of the pathogen and dedicated research.

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Look, I don't want the Greek people to suffer. But there are dozens of countries in greater need of the IMF than Greece. This is a problem for the European Union, not the United Nations.

!Vote

PNk1Ml4.png

The population on the island are currently foreign invaders who have no say in the rightful sovereignty of the Islas Malvinas. La República Argentina protested the illegal annexation of the the Islas Malvinas in 1833 when the United Kingdom annexed them by naval force.

It is ironic that the representatives of the United Kingdom condemn the Russian annexation of Crimea when that is exactly what the United Kingdoms did to the Islas Malvinas in 1833.

Of what value is the title of the land inhabited by "invaders" to Argentina then?
    Or is it simply seeking to completely eliminate all who currently live there.

We would be willing to incorporate any of the illegal invaders of the Islas Maldivas who wishes to remain after rightful sovereignty is returned to La República Argentina. They will have representation as would any other citizen in our country.

However, we do not recognize the "referendum" held by illegal invaders that affirmed their right to invasion.

The Russian Federation wishes it to be known that we intend to honor the CTSO, which calls for the mutual defense of its member nations.

It is considered that the two regions of Central Asia and the single province in the Caucuses falls under this protection.

Due to the proximity of CTSO member Belarus and NATO members Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania; the Russian government feels that a understanding with the members of NATO needs to be met.

edited July 2015

Co-operation and shared policies are the exact opposite of empty politics: we are put forth a proposal on how to deal with the emerging issue. If you do not wish to take action for the good of all people, then we will not force you.

If we knew something vital about the nature of the disease, we would share it. That will be accomplished through isolation of the pathogen and dedicated research.

All politics are empty, I am a scientist, nothing more, nothing less. If you wish to discuss funding for your glorified safety net, you are more than welcome to talk to the people in charge. All I cared about was if you had any knowledge to share, which you apparently do not.

Radius on
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I, the esteemed President of the South Africa, Buckets Q. Man, would like the world to know that we will not stand for these new thin unstuffed oreos. What is this crap?

We would not be asking you to accept this, but merely the consensus agreed upon by its own peoples.
    That is we'd ask you to respect the sovereignty of its own people on the proviso that we do the same.

That said we are currently determining how to actually effect this outcome.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I, the esteemed President of the South Africa, Buckets Q. Man, would like the world to know that we will not stand for these new thin unstuffed oreos. What is this crap?

As the military commander of South Africa, I am a little hesitant about whether this is a new racist slur or not.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    oreo-thin.jpg?w=620&h=349&crop=1
    They are not allowed in South Africa.

Bucketman on
    Bucketman wrote: »
    oreo-thin.jpg?w=620&h=349&crop=1
    They are not allowed in South Africa.

The scientific community of South Africa supports the decision of our president to keep these abominations away from impressionable children.

Has Western Capitalism gone to far?

Y/N

• GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular

Clarification Denied.

Ask who?

Edit: I'm talking neutral nations, not player controlled. Knowing who is under whose nuclear umbrella is kinda important.

You don't need to worry about NPC countries being a significant military/nuclear concern. Gameplay wise, you won't see NATO rise up if you hit America, though America might choose to hit you if you attack an NPC nato country.

We would be willing to incorporate any of the illegal invaders of the Islas Maldivas who wishes to remain after rightful sovereignty is returned to La República Argentina. They will have representation as would any other citizen in our country.

However, we do not recognize the "referendum" held by illegal invaders that affirmed their right to invasion.

We see two ways to progress here. Either way, we feel we should transfer power to the people living in the state, rather than have their lives fettered by an overseas power.

The first option is we set up a straight democracy in this island state, and then offer no more support to them than as would be expected from any other country.
    We'd expect to still grant the full British rights of nationality to all those leaving the isles and emigrating to Britain, but the military, judicial and governmental power of the state would be its own, or at least removed from us.
    We would expect to see the same agreement of non-interference and conformation of the isles' sovereignty from the Argentinian cabinet as well.

The second option would be to set up a federal constitutional monarchy as per Australia.
    Here we would be caretakers unto the new state, but we would again abstain from interfering with the military, judicial and governmental powers that the state possesses, and they could nominate to become a republic at any point.
    Additionally, we would undertake a ballot within the isles, under the eye of the United Nations, to determine whom should be the caretakers of the new state.

That is, the ballot would be cast as such to each citizen of the isles:
    To what land does the isles accept as their motherland?
    - The United Kingdoms
    - Argentina
    - Argentina and the United Kingdoms
    - No land

The winner of the ballot would then be the ruling monarchy/government over the independent state, although ultimately it will be still sovereign unto itself, with the ruling power giving it the authority to rule on its own ability, while nominally approving all motions put forward by their government.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    The Chinese delegation would also point to the numerous UN agencies already head-quartered in Europe.

To be a truly international organization, the UN must have an international presence.

Argentina concedes - and indeed endorses! - this point, but my suggestion was meant in the spirit of giving the people of Spain, to whom we have close historical ties, something to rally around.
    Phyphor wrote: »
    For Immediate Release

And if we cannot contain the spread, having the research centre square in the quarantine zone is not exactly an ideal scenario! Science works better without roving mobs outside.

Your low assessment of the morals of the Spanish people is deplorable.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    The Minister from Brazil would like to remind the rest of the United Nations that destabilizing Greece right now would also lead to severe and possibly dire consequences for member nations -- the same nations on which we may all soon depend, given the need for a unified front against the spread of this new contagion.

Crippling Greece cripples ourselves. I urge you all to vote in the affirmative on Referendum 1.

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Germany approves of the idea of the UN funding a research facility to look into this issue from a global scale. We also agree that China has had population-related issues with infectious diseases in the past, and while it's scientists must have learned much in the handling of those pathogens, Germany feels that the dense population in urban areas of the country pose a threat to a research facility in the case of infection.

To this end, the German government proposes a revised proposal to the UN. Place the Research Facility in an international region of Antarctica. With the disease's rise in the warm, Spanish air, it is likely that the cold weather of Antarctica would be a deterrent to it's spread, which together with the uninhabited nature of the continent means there is near-zero risk of the research being interrupted. It's international status would mean that all nations would be able (and encouraged) to travel to the facility and dedicate time to researching what could be the world's next largest crisis.

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    It's going to be pretty hard to get supplies, communications, and resources to antarctica.

if the idea is to have a colder less populated climate, why not iceland? It's isolated, cold, but it has resources and is accessible at least moreso than antarctica.

• Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Placing a research station in Antarctica would limit the access to the station by member countries, and could cause discord that would undermine the Antarctic Treaty System. Would a cold climate member country, or at the very least a country in the Arctic would be a better choice? Russia has plenty of sites that would be perfect for placing a cold weather research station.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    The USA wholly supports China's research facility. Either in Antarctica or off the mainland of China. Shared research is shared stability and the United States believes wholly in putting it's money where it's mouth is to allow all mankind to be bettered by our collaborative efforts.

In other news the USA publically pledges to assist it's EU allies in the current EU crisis. Offering financial aid to cope with the loss of income due to the Greece bailout and extending the offer to garrison troops in Europe in order to assist with security and reduce the financial load that a large military can place on smaller nations.

Relevant nations should put their diplomats in touch with @Hjorvarthr to work out the details of any such arrangements.

• hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    !Vote The minister from Germany votes to approve Referendum 1 for the stabilization of the Greek economy. The assured collapse of an entire state is not something Germany wishes to have on its hands, whatever our current alliances may be.

We would also like to propose a modification to the current Funding proposal for an infectious disease research center. Germany agrees that the halting of any new cases is a must, but has hesitations about funding the research of highly communicable diseases in the middle of densely populated countries. Germany would therefore like to propose that, if funded, this research center be established on the continent of Antarctica, at a jointly-run facility where accidental outbreaks can be quarantined immediately without threat of further contamination of the populace.

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Argentina supports the Antarctic research facility initiative while noting that the notion of a WHO facility dedicated to research and prevention is an excellent one.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

This discussion has been closed.