As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sony: don't play old games anymore buy new ones.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    You could probably easily make a site called LOLSONY.com.

One already exists.

www.lolsony.com
    Saddler wrote: »
    Sounds like they are trying to placate investors and publishers by looking like they are doing something to drive up PS3 software sales.

This actually makes sense... it's like the struggling company laying off people not because it really saves all that much money, but because it gives stockholders the impression that they're doing something.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • DirtchamberDirtchamber Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    tarnok wrote: »
    Arcibi wrote: »
    They attempted to spin the bad sales of the PS3 as a good thing because they didn't lose as much money as if the PS3 had been successful. That is Sony Defense Force levels of spin.

ahaha oh wow, seriously?

That goes past lolsony and heads straight into facepalm.jpg
    With Nintendo’s Wii having outsold Sony’s PlayStation 3 by almost fivefold during the quarter ending in June, Sony’s CFO Nobuyuki Oneda appears to be looking on the bright side of life.

"Sales of the PS3 have risen but we booked losses due to our strategic decision to price it below the (production) cost. Actually, because the number of units sold was not as high as we hoped, the loss was better than our original expectation," he said.

Damn. That is some shit right there. Damn.

You mean like ... lolsony.com?

Shit! Beat'd!

Dirtchamber on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    tarnok wrote: »
    Arcibi wrote: »
    They attempted to spin the bad sales of the PS3 as a good thing because they didn't lose as much money as if the PS3 had been successful. That is Sony Defense Force levels of spin.

ahaha oh wow, seriously?

That goes past lolsony and heads straight into facepalm.jpg
    With Nintendo’s Wii having outsold Sony’s PlayStation 3 by almost fivefold during the quarter ending in June, Sony’s CFO Nobuyuki Oneda appears to be looking on the bright side of life.

"Sales of the PS3 have risen but we booked losses due to our strategic decision to price it below the (production) cost. Actually, because the number of units sold was not as high as we hoped, the loss was better than our original expectation," he said.

Damn. That is some shit right there. Damn.

You mean like ... lolsony.com?

Shit! Beat'd!

Yes, but the site I am thinking of would have more content.

Couscous on
  • Dharma BumDharma Bum Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Remember when the defective Square on the PSPs was a feature? Yeah.

The thing is, there are exactly three great, exclusive PS3 games right now: Resistance, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, and Heavenly Sword. I also have The Darkness, because I don't have a 360, which means I'm also gonna get Assassin's Creed and GTA4 on it.

I'd play more PS3 games, if more good ones came out. Now Sony's saying hey SimBen, you shouldn't be playing your huge backlog of unplayed PS2 games until the next big one comes out, you should be buying crap games instead!

Fuck you.

*plays Ratchet & Clank 1*

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    C'mon, Ninja Gaiden Sigma is an exclusive experience? Really? Think about it for a moment.

No, I don't consider RE 4 Wii to be an exclusive either, transcendent controls or not.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    edited October 2007
    C'mon, Ninja Gaiden Sigma is an exclusive experience? Really? Think about it for a moment.

No, I don't consider RE 4 Wii to be an exclusive either, transcendent controls or not.

Yeah, well, no. I put it there out of pity, I guess. It's semi-exclusive. :P

SimBen on
    sig.gif
    edited October 2007
    SimBen wrote: »

Yeah, well, no. I put it there out of pity, I guess. It's semi-exclusive. :P

Heh, it's still a decent game. Hell, I played it more than R:FoM or Motorstorm when I borrowed a friend's PS3.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Wow, backwards compatibility was one of the reasons I regretted ruling out getting a PS3, since I don't have a PS2 and I missed out on a tremendous number of excellent games, it seems.

Of course I'd already ruled out getting one based on my Three Question "Should You Buy a PS3?" test, which I failed.

Professor Phobos on
    edited October 2007
    Wow, backwards compatibility was one of the reasons I regretted ruling out getting a PS3, since I don't have a PS2 and I missed out on a tremendous number of excellent games, it seems.

Of course I'd already ruled out getting one based on my Three Question "Should You Buy a PS3?" test, which I failed.

What's the test if I may ask?

Mine is simply this:

Price of all the games I "can't live without" has to be greater than the price of the console.

Xenogears of Bore on
    edited October 2007

Question 1: Are you wearing, or have you ever worn, a monocle?

Question 2: Have you ever said the following: "That rabble outside must be quelled!" in contexts other than a play, joke, or sarcastic blog post?

Question 3: Is the number of automobiles you own greater than or equal to three?

If you've answered "yes" to any of these questions, go ahead and get a PS3 because you can obviously afford the damn thing.

Professor Phobos on
    edited October 2007
    By Jove, I answered yes to two of those! I guess I need to shape up and buy a PS3!

Xenogears of Bore on
    edited October 2007
    I enjoy drawing top hats, monocles, mustaches and cigars on pictures in the newspapers in my spare time.

It's fun.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
    edited October 2007
    And not just on people. Sometimes I make a car look rich.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • QuazarQuazar Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    My buddy just bought a 60GB PS3 because he wanted to make sure he got the Emotion Engine before it was gone.

He rented Heavenly Sword and beat it in a few days time.

Now he's just playing PS2 games on it. And with regard to choosing between getting a game on PS3 or 360, he chooses 360, because of Live, vibration function, and achievements.

lol Sony, indeed.

Quazar on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    atl7hahahazo7.png
    XBL: QuazarX
  • tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    You know, this kind of thing makes me glad that Sony and Nintendo had that falling out back in the day. Otherwise Nintendo might still be a bunch of bastards, and Sony'd be in it with them.* Think about that.

*Actually, worse than that. Sony would own all the rights to the games. Think about that.

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Question 2: Have you ever said the following: "That rabble outside must be quelled!" in contexts other than a play, joke, or sarcastic blog post?

Question 3: Is the number of automobiles you own greater than or equal to three?

If you've answered "yes" to any of these questions, go ahead and get a PS3 because you can obviously afford the damn thing.

That first question isn't fair. I wore a monocle as a prop for a video we made in film class.

Henroid on
  • IchinisanIchinisan Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    OP: Update your post.

The Euro 60GB and the international 80GB versions eliminated only one of two PS2 hardware components. The 40GB model eliminates both PS2 hardware components. The OP makes it appear as if the 80GB was already emulating PS2 entirely in hardware, which is not true. The graphics chip remained and cannot be simply emulated in software due to complexity and architecture. The 40GB model eliminates the PS2 graphics chip, which cannot be simulated in software.

The OP makes it sound as if the PS2 was emulated entirely in software and that it's removal was arbitrary. It was not.

Ichinisan on
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Henroid wrote: »

That first question isn't fair. I wore a monocle as a prop for a video we made in film class.

I would imagine a prop monocle to be different from an actual monocle.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    what are the odds that the aftermarket price of the BC PS3s goes up? (aftermarket means buying from other people right? like ebay buyign? I hope I used the term right)

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Martin Lawrence OliverMartin Lawrence Oliver Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Buying a ps2 would be a good choice.

Martin Lawrence Oliver on
  • ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    man i'm sorta sad such a well designed game as Folklore went under everybodys radar

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Buy a PS2 then? They're so cheap and have such an awesome library there is no excuse anymore.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Narian wrote: »

Buy a PS2 then? They're so cheap and have such an awesome library there is no excuse anymore.

But if there are anymore "New PS3s can't play no PS2 games" threads, he or anyone else that doesn't have a PS2 can't say how disappointed they are for missing out on a generation, cause the PS3 was their ray of hope. That would be plenty enough reason for me not to get a PS2.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Neva wrote: »
    Narian wrote: »

But if there are anymore "New PS3s can't play no PS2 games" threads, he or anyone else that doesn't have a PS2 can't say how disappointed they are for missing out on a generation, cause the PS3 was their ray of hope. That would be plenty enough reason for me not to get a PS2.

This is Sony we're talking about. New PS3 will probably only play newer PS3 games.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • CaenemCaenem Sarasota, FLRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Zephyr wrote: »
    man i'm sorta sad such a well designed game as Folklore went under everybodys radar

Currently this is the only title I want to get for my PS3. My PS3 serves as a blueray and old ps2/1 player. Take backwards compatibility out of the picture, and one game is not going to force me to buy a console. This was a crazy step by Sony. Any game that comes out for both consoles I'll have to buy for my 360 almost on principle now. Partly due to achievements, which makes me feel dirty like I'm growing my epeen or something. Partly due to "ya know what, F you for locking future consumers out of your incredible backlog of games." And if MS does indeed add a HD player into their system like it's being rumored now? LolSony indeed.

Caenem on
    But you, pig, are a lucky one. Tell us what we wish to know, and you may yet keep your bacon.
    Nemlock for online gaming
    edited October 2007

My main concern is picking up the titles. How easy is it to find copies of Psychonauts these days?

Professor Phobos on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2007

My main concern is picking up the titles. How easy is it to find copies of Psychonauts these days?
    Fairly easy.

But if you want the best experience, and you have an xbox or a three yard elf pc, I would play it on one of those platforms instead. The oxbox version is great (and BC with the 360), and you can DL the PC version off steam.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So, can we get a [lolSony] heading for all topics of this type? It seems about time.

shryke on
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    What I'd do is just mandate that all future threads of this topic be titled "Your 'Oh, Sony' for" and then the date. (I prefer 'Oh, Sony' to 'lolsony'.)

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    shryke wrote: »
    So, can we get a [lolSony] heading for all topics of this type? It seems about time.
    It would be redundant. Putting Sony in the title usually gives a good indication that there will be lol inside the thread.

FreddyD on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Gamestop's website lets you search by zip code for retail stores that have it.

(or get the PC version from Steam)

Daedalus on
    edited October 2007

amazon.com

extremely

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
    edited October 2007
    syndalis wrote: »

Fairly easy.

But if you want the best experience, and you have an xbox or a three yard elf pc, I would play it on one of those platforms instead. The oxbox version is great (and BC with the 360), and you can DL the PC version off steam.

Oh. I didn't know that. Is it hard to play with a mouse+keyboard? I find I prefer a controller for platform games.

Hmm. Barring Psychonauts, what else was great for the PS2? I've already played Shadow of the Colossus.

Professor Phobos on
    edited October 2007

Fairly easy.

Oh. I didn't know that. Is it hard to play with a mouse+keyboard? I find I prefer a controller for platform games.

Hmm. Barring Psychonauts, what else was great for the PS2? I've already played Shadow of the Colossus.

ICO
    shadow of the colossus
    jak and daxter trilogy
    ratchet and clank series
    tekken 4 and 5, soulcalibur 3
    katamari series
    gta series (if you don't have obox)
    final fantasy 10

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
    edited October 2007

Fairly easy.

ICO
    shadow of the colossus
    jak and daxter trilogy
    ratchet and clank series
    katamari series
    final fantasy 10

Hmm. I'm not interested in most platformers or fighters, I'm afraid. Psychonauts gets a pass due to its hilarious design and characterization. FF10 made me insane with rage, and GTA is better on the xbox.

I guess I had always assumed the PS2 had a lot of games I'd like, but maybe not...

Professor Phobos on
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    That's the most retarded reasoning I've ever heard. Either way, the 400 buck 40 gig sounds about right. I don't give a damn in the end because I'm happy with my PStwo for PS2/PS1 gaming. I'll just have it fixed by the indie store a few miles from me if it ever breaks on me.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Psychonauts came of for XBox and is BC I think.

august on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2007

Fairly easy.

ICO
    shadow of the colossus
    jak and daxter trilogy
    ratchet and clank series
    katamari series
    final fantasy 10

Hmm. I'm not interested in most platformers or fighters, I'm afraid. Psychonauts gets a pass due to its hilarious design and characterization. FF10 made me insane with rage, and GTA is better on the xbox.

I guess I had always assumed the PS2 had a lot of games I'd like, but maybe not...
    The PS2 have a lot of games that everyone likes.

Seriously, it is the biggest library of last gen, and there is a ton of quality on there. God of War is perfectly worth giving a psychonauts like pass to as well, as it is an amazing action game. Okami was brilliant, God Hand was cool, there were tons of SRPGs on there, and a bunch of other stuff. Every genre was very well represented on the platform.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    edited October 2007
    august wrote: »
    Psychonauts came of for XBox and is BC I think.

Oh, then I'll just grab a copy now and hold on to it until I can secure a 360.

Professor Phobos on