As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pre-PAXventure Time Boardgame Night: I FLOOP THE PIG!

• Options
    SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    a
    sanovah wrote: »
    Just curious but what would helping actually entail that late btw?

Sitting at the table. Finding the owners of any games that get left behind.

I'm totally willing to do this.

its easy if the owners are still there. But as I can attest, last year I ran out of steam and went to bed early, and probably over 50% of the games I had brought were still out being played :)

I have no problem doing it again..just a matter of setting a plan in motion

• Options
    sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Are people at least expected to leave contact info with the games? Because that sounds both extremely easy and like an incredible pain in the ass.

Wouldn't mind sitting at the table handing games out to be played but finding people sounds like a pain since I assume we can't leave them in the conference room/lobby and I'm not at the Sheraton. So I'd have to lug them back to the Westin and try to find people Friday I assume.

So yeah I can help give out games and be "info booth" for a couple hours but staying at a different hotel not sure how much I could help with reuniting games and owners

• Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    @Sanovah - exactly. It's the orphan control that night / the next day that's the most difficult. And yes, people must leave their contact info.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    The nice thing is I am one of the easiest people to find. as a MIB we are always in the corral starting Friday morning :)

• Options
    sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Damn. Is there a place to leave them or do you have to drag them up to your room normally and then to the center to find people? Still not sure I'm going but dragging leftover games to the Westin at 1am sounds not fun

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    sanovah wrote: »
    Are people at least expected to leave contact info with the games? Because that sounds both extremely easy and like an incredible pain in the ass.

Wouldn't mind sitting at the table handing games out to be played but finding people sounds like a pain since I assume we can't leave them in the conference room/lobby and I'm not at the Sheraton. So I'd have to lug them back to the Westin and try to find people Friday I assume.

So yeah I can help give out games and be "info booth" for a couple hours but staying at a different hotel not sure how much I could help with reuniting games and owners
    I'm staying in the Sheraton, so storage space isn't a problem.

• Options
    SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Yay, staying at the Sheraton this year. Makes attending the event so much easier.

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239
  • Options
    RealPlumpBoxRealPlumpBox Burlington, CTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Hi all. So I was not able to get tickets this year. But I do work across the street from the Sheraton Hotel at the City Center/ USBC building. I get out at 11 PM from my shift and have just started getting into board games. Any chance of a table top rookie can join and have fun?

RealPlumpBox on
  • Options
    FenrisfangFenrisfang Edmonton, AB, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Hi all. So I was not able to get tickets this year. But I do work across the street from the Sheraton Hotel and the City Center/ USBC building. I get out at 11 PM from my shift and have just started getting into board games. Any chance of a table top rookie can join and have fun?

Don't see why not. As far as I am aware this is for all gamers who are looking to enjoy a night of board games, not just the ones that got PAX tickets.

PAX Tickets: check!
    Hotel Booked: check!
    Sitter for the kids: check!
    Excitement level rising: check, check and triple check!
  • Options
    Fenrisfang wrote: »
    Hi all. So I was not able to get tickets this year. But I do work across the street from the Sheraton Hotel and the City Center/ USBC building. I get out at 11 PM from my shift and have just started getting into board games. Any chance of a table top rookie can join and have fun?

Don't see why not. As far as I am aware this is for all gamers who are looking to enjoy a night of board games, not just the ones that got PAX tickets.

Yep. Like all the unofficial PAX events, it is open to anybody awesome who wants to come.

• Options
    kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    This is one of my favourite events during PAX. I normally walk into it at around 7pm after the Pre-PAX Dinner (which isn't happening this year by all accounts) and drop the Forum Badges off at the main desk for @LexiconGrrl to hand out. I then set about playing/teaching some people a bunch of games they haven't heard of as they haven't arrived in the US :)

One of the main reasons I go is to ensure I stay up as long as possible to fight off the jet-lag from my trans-Atlantic flight into Seattle.

As for what games I shall be bringing, it will likely be small form games like Abluxxen, Titchu, Blood Bowl Team Manager and a clutch of others that aren't immediately springing into my head right now.

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    jukkakhanjukkakhan Registered User regular
    kropotkin wrote: »
    I normally walk into it at around 7pm after the Pre-PAX Dinner (which isn't happening this year by all accounts)

I'm pretty sure I saw @TOGSolid mention somewhere that PPD details were coming soon(tm).

PimDtoK.png
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Yup!

Gotta go eat first but the thread will go up tonight!

EDIT: In an interesting plot twist, Eventbrite's event creation page is down right now. WELP

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Yup!

Gotta go eat first but the thread will go up tonight!

EDIT: In an interesting plot twist, Eventbrite's event creation page is down right now. WELP

Oh that's a relief! Not the Eventbrite thing but the Pre-PAX Dinner :) I shall certainly be there with the Forum Badges then.

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Just throwing this out there as I have yet to see it mentioned....Scrabble? I'm not familiar with any of the other games mentioned, and I'm an old dog to lazy, uh, scared to learn new tricks, so...I'd like to play some board games and would love to bring this game.

ClannMorgan on
  • Options
    IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    Just throwing this out there as I have yet to see it mentioned....Scrabble? I'm not familiar with any of the other games mentioned, and I'm an old dog to lazy, uh, scared to learn new tricks, so...I'd like to play some board games and would love to bring this game.

I would be so down for a game of Scrabble!

• Options

There are a lot of games that are played now that are not at all complicated and I would recommend you embrace the new :)

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular

There are a lot of games that are played now that are not at all complicated and I would recommend you embrace the new :)

the fear of making a fool of myself have kept me away, but I would like to give it a go. So if anyone wants to teach me a new game, I will be the one holding the scrabble box =D

• Options
    adambargadambarg Forward the Pinglorious Basterds!Registered User regular
    the fear of making a fool of myself have kept me away, but I would like to give it a go. So if anyone wants to teach me a new game, I will be the one holding the scrabble box =D

As a long time Scrabble fan, I've really enjoyed Paperback as a modern alternative.

ChMDm4Y.png
  • Options

Many of us are regular demonstrator of all sorts of games and be happy to show you more. :)

• Options
    RealPlumpBoxRealPlumpBox Burlington, CTRegistered User regular

I am the same way!! lol.

• Options
    FenrisfangFenrisfang Edmonton, AB, CanadaRegistered User regular

I am the same way!! lol.

I was the same way at my first PAX but found that everyone was very inviting. I started out just watching, and then people asked if we wanted to play...when I told them I had never played before they offered to teach me and give me hints along the way. I found everyone was very helpful and really just wanted to share their love of boardgames to others.

PAX Tickets: check!
    Hotel Booked: check!
    Sitter for the kids: check!
    Excitement level rising: check, check and triple check!
  • Options
    ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    - Lastly, do not anger LexiconGrrl by breaking the rules. We have worked hard for this event, don't piss on it. There is an excellent possibility that I may be exhausted, half-drunk, and resentful about missing PAX so if I have to intervene between you and the hotel I will ensure that Game Night is the most memorable part of your PAX experience, along with everyone else within a 5 table radius.

Oh how I love thee lexi :)

Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

• Options
    Aw, Man! I just saw that the pub crawl totally stole our Mad PAX theme. We need a new theme now - any ideas?

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Aw, Man! I just saw that the pub crawl totally stole our Mad PAX theme. We need a new theme now - any ideas?
    Can't Mad PAX be everywhere at once? :P

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    The crawl is subtitled Blurry Road. Game Night can still use The Board Warrior subtitle ;P

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    I'm not feelin' it. It smacks too much of being (in the words of a local bar): "a trend humping sonofabitch".

• Options
    JobiwanKenobiJobiwanKenobi Registered User regular
    How about: Board Wars, The Dice Awaken?

PAX Prime '09 - H1N(erd)1 Survivor - Never Forget (Your Hand Sanitizer)
    PAX Prime '14 Omeganaut - Result: KO in 3rd Round (Damn you, Super Avalanche 2!)
  • Options
    MordecaiSixerMordecaiSixer Registered User regular
    Every year I see this thread, every year I never go and every year I regret it. Not this time pal! This will be a great way to kick off the weekend. See y'all there!

• Options
    IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    A new theme? Hmmmm here's a couple ideas -

Boarderlands: the Re-roll
    Dungeons and PAXen

• Options
    nixternixter roughly Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I'm coming this year as one of my New Things. Excited!

aka Avidguru from Twitter and elsewhere

O1vSeKm.png
  • Options
    WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    How about: Board Wars, The Dice Awaken?

I like it, but how about:

Pre-PAX Tabletop Night: Embrace the Dark Side - Join the First Boarder

Or is that too spoiler-y?

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    jamsyarbotsjamsyarbots Wilmington, DERegistered User regular
    I'm not feelin' it. It smacks too much of being (in the words of a local bar): "a trend humping sonofabitch".

The Wasteland is vast enough to accommodate all events. Also, if I remember correctly we all agreed on the Mad Max theme well before the pubcrawl thread went up. If anybody is humping trends around here it's those folks.

• Options
    KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    Looks like this will be on our event list this year - I can bring anything from my collection that people want to play. Looking forward to playing games with you guys!

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• Options
    Nfan10039Nfan10039 Streamer/Gamer/Developer Montreal (Seattle eventually....)Registered User regular
    I cannot remember if I posted this, but I will be attending this(hopefully) after supper(As long I don't feel too tired from the plane trip). Is there an event page somewhere with place and time that it starts?

ajor19ru24j1.png
    Just a nerd into anything Nintendo, anime, MCU, Star Wars, and board games/card games.
    Also a computer scientist and a streamer.
  • Options
    Nfan10039 wrote: »
    I cannot remember if I posted this, but I will be attending this(hopefully) after supper(As long I don't feel too tired from the plane trip). Is there an event page somewhere with place and time that it starts?

No event page. Normally it starts at 4pm. The Sheraton is still waiting on finalization from the event company on what rooms are taken and until we hear from them, we won't be able to set specific details for this year. You'll see it on this thread in the OP - once the thread title is changed to this year's game night theme, it's a flag that the deets are posted.

• Options
    IamManfredIamManfred Registered User new member
    This sounds really fun, and I would love to come and play some games. Is it alright if I am not able to bring a game? I am making my trip a little longer than just PAX, so I am trying to pack as light as possible. I will try to fit my Superfight deck into my luggage if there is room, but I don't want to show up without a game if that is rude/inconsiderate.

• Options
    IamManfred wrote: »
    This sounds really fun, and I would love to come and play some games. Is it alright if I am not able to bring a game? I am making my trip a little longer than just PAX, so I am trying to pack as light as possible. I will try to fit my Superfight deck into my luggage if there is room, but I don't want to show up without a game if that is rude/inconsiderate.

Of course - there are hundreds of people who attend this; there will be plenty of games!

• Options
    IamManfred wrote: »

Of course - there are hundreds of people who attend this; there will be plenty of games!

Mathematically, if more than half-quarter of attendees bring games, they are extras. And many people bring multiples. So a ton of people would have to bring nothing for us to run out.

• Options
    SleepyDustSleepyDust Registered User regular
    Here are my suggestions inspired by the current Grace Nightlight story arc.

Nightlight Gaming
    Pre-PAX Nightlight Edition
    Boardgames with Grace