As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Camp Comic] Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - Burn

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited July 2015 in Camp Weedonwantcha

image[Camp Comic] Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - Burn

Burn

Burn

http://www.campcomic.com/comic/226

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• TrueLinkTrueLink Registered User regular
    :)

• Christian LeBlancChristian LeBlanc Registered User regular
    Created an account just so I could say - HOLY $#!% THE TEARS!!!

• InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    :(
    Poor Malachi. I'm glad Seventeen's positivity is changing him.

• DublinDublin Registered User regular
    Wow.... Poor Malachi. He might be a jerk, but he's still a poor kid in Camp Weedonwantcha.

• cubbylostboycubbylostboy Registered User regular
    *whimper*

• Mr Fish 86Mr Fish 86 Registered User regular
    dawwwwww! Yay 17!

• Finnish_LineFinnish_Line Registered User regular
    Tree costume panel is best panel.

• FiranaiFiranai Registered User new member
    edited July 2015
    As someone who has gone through something similar, let me tell you, there's nothing more painful than having someone telling your parents that you have no talent right in front of you, and then your parents believe him and proceed to ignore you the rest of your life in favor of your more talented siblings.

Firanai on
  • AriWerdAriWerd Registered User regular
    Aww...

I often see Mal as filled to the brim with youthful hubris, in need of being taken down a peg or two, but then this.

• SIXytSIXyt Esq STLRegistered User regular
    The Feels! Somebody give that boy a hug STAT! Damn you Katie, it's too early in the morning to be crying already. Also, love the flame, the glow, the reflection in Mal's eyes, everything is done really well.

• ZakAttakZakAttak Registered User new member
    I've been reading your comic strip for awhile now and have always loved it. I finally decided to sign up and make an account because I was blown away by today's strip. You hit me right in the feels, in the best way possible. I love these characters so much, please keep up all the amazing work!

• theblazeuktheblazeuk Registered User new member
    Someone on the last strip said they couldn't stand Malachi because he's such a phoney. Boooo

• CheddarLimboCheddarLimbo Registered User regular
    Katie,

I loved you on Strip Search, and I've been following Camp W from the beginning.

I signed up this morning after reading today's comic so I could thank you. From the start, you have done an outstanding job both in artistic presentation and in weaving a tale that is equal parts hilarious and heart-wrenching.

Thank you SO MUCH for making this amazing comic and for telling this story.

• LuneiaLuneia Registered User regular
    I found the cat, I found the cat! *is way more excited by this than is necessary*

• jaycrockettjaycrockett Registered User new member
    Created an account just to say I don't know what to say. Wow, Katie.

• GDT1985GDT1985 Registered User regular
    @ariwerd Now you know why he is like that. This page is both heart warming and heart wrenching, and that takes a special kind of skill.

• JonKJonK Registered User regular
    That was beautiful and very insightful, Katie.

That's how monsters are created. They are subjected to horrors and humiliations, and do not have the fortune of ever meeting someone like Seventeen.

There but for the grace of God goes Malachi.

• InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Honestly, I'm surprised Katie and Adam resisted the urge to troll us by making the preview image the stage on fire.

• ClutteredMindClutteredMind Registered User new member
    Signed up just to post this. This is a great strip for many reasons. All of Malachi's behavior makes perfect sense now. Who is the kid who brags the most and talks up his accomplishments the most? The kid who is the most insecure, the kid who feels the most worthless on the inside. Malachi is a kid who is desperately seeking validation, but since he's just a kid he doesn't know how to get it the right way. The last row is a perfect mirror to the "We do" row that wrapped up Seventeen's arc a while back. It hit my weak point for massive feels.

• ClutteredMindClutteredMind Registered User new member
    Further thought: This also explains why Malachi was so vehemently opposed to even attempting to demonstrate a talent that another camper was going to do. Every time Malachi ever got ranked against another person, he got ranked at the bottom. He survived that so far (with serious psychological scarring) but I think even he knows that he wouldn't be able to deal with being ranked at the bottom of a talent pool that is already entirely composed of society's castoffs.

• SynDuoSynDuo John A. Galvan Somewhere over a rainbowRegistered User regular
    This is beautiful depth to Malachi's character. Love how much this comic has progressed since the beginning, :) so nice. glad I signed up recently the the forums.

• nimbus003nimbus003 Registered User new member
    It is good to see some character growth. I was about to really not like Malachi.

• InterruptingGingerInterruptingGinger Registered User regular
    Ya done good, kid.

• hajenhajen Registered User regular
    so much for my conspiracy theory to negate the retcon 'needed' for the mapping imbroglio :(

... and that kitteh was wicked cruel hidden!!

p.s. yet another stellar installment of Malachi's back story and development

• HUNRoninHUNRonin Registered User regular
    He's prety good at organising and motivating others, he just needs to realise that.

• MustacheHamMustacheHam Registered User regular
    It's good to see that he saw it wasn't worth feeding that internal fire o' ill will and learned to appreciate what one has. Well done kid. :)

• GundamZphyr7GundamZphyr7 Registered User regular
    I have never posted here before but I do follow the comic and love the hell out of it.

But I find myself needing to ask you something, Katie.

Did you cry while making this latest page? I'd say it's probably one of the hardest hitting pages I've seen in the comic thus far. Exceptional work.

• EXSourceEXSource Registered User new member
    This. Freaking. Comic.

Every time.

• sokpupetsokpupet Registered User regular
    When Serenity came out in theaters, I bought a ticket even though I'd never watched Firefly. During the scene where Wash takes them down to Miranda, miraculously dodging all manner of debris, death, and destruction, and calmly unravels a beautiful soliloquy while doing so, I was in awe. Damn near everyone else in the theater was laughing at him, like he was being a doofus, completely unworthy of respect. Then he got impaled, died instantly, and EVERYBODY felt terrible.

I've always liked Malachi, no matter how much of a little shit he was being, simply because I appreciated what he was going through. This comic does nothing but reaffirm my compassion for the little guy with the added bonus of, 'Yeah, how'd'y'all feel about him NOW?"

/end_self_important_rant

• DrAlleconDrAllecon Registered User regular
    That also explains the "playing a violin without a violin" on his list. Great strip as always.

• TrumppollTrumppoll Registered User new member
    I swear I'm not trying to troll here, but does anybody else think he will just change his mind and go ahead and burn the stage down in tomorrow's strip? I just feel like Malachi isn't necessarily the good guy of this comic. But I've been wrong before.

• AriWerdAriWerd Registered User regular
    @trumppoll - For all his hubris and self-absorption, Mal has consistently proven to be a good guy. The best example I can think of off hand was when he read aloud to Seventeen. He can be a putz, but he's ultimately a good-hearted putz.

• ImNotAnAthleteImNotAnAthlete Registered User regular
    Damn Katie. This one gets you in all the feels. First its super sad, then it's really touching. You continue to amaze.

• Blackie62Blackie62 Registered User regular
    He's got some good kindling going there; we sure his talent isn't firestarting?

• SabithSabith Registered User new member
    I'm so pleased to see this story beginning to move in this direction, and I really can't wait to see what else Malachi does with his new found perspective.

• narwhaonarwhao Registered User regular
    Gosh, I was waiting for the somber turnaround. This comic always resolves conflicts in such a pleasant way, and I love it.

• Ilze123Ilze123 Registered User regular
    thank you for todays installment, I thank you from the bottom out of my heart. This is (in my humble opinion) one of your best work yet.

I am going to repost this on my facebook.

• Ilze123Ilze123 Registered User regular
    I just realized. Why is his hidden talent jumping? what pain and hurt caused him to get really good at jumping? running away from bullies is too easy. It must be something darker than that. Can't wait to find out

• Dark JaguarDark Jaguar Registered User regular
    I like how this comic puts the lie to that old 80's parenting notion that "everyone has a hidden talent". In real life, it's a lot more lop-sided. There are the savants that have like 5 talents, and then there are some people who have a lot of hidden interests, but no actual talent IN those interests.

• bangbangtengbangbangteng Registered User new member
    These individual characterizing flashbacks remind me of Orange is the New Black in the best way. GG. Katy, you're the best! Keep it up!