As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Want [chat] liberation?

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    gavindel wrote: »
    Now you guys have me thinking over my frustration over how a love interest in a Bond movie will just up and die.

"Bond, I love you!"
    "I love you so dearly as well!"
    "Let us run away from this life of violen--oh, no, I am dead!"
    "I must stare moodily for a moment now to show my true grief."

You'd think after the sixth or seventh time, maybe Bond would wonder "Is it me? I wonder if its me?"
    Heh, there's a story idea in there somewhere. Imagine if Bond had a secret admirer/stalker, whose biggest wish in the world was to become his love interest and be killed.
    Brb, paging Dan Clowes.

m3nace on
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    m3nace wrote: »
    Anyone got some suggestions for what to see in NY besides the usual museums and stuff?

I hate this question because there is so much! Of the museums the Met is my fave. Outside of museums, Central Park is p great this time of year. How long are you here?

• Options
    nakirushnakirush Registered User regular
    @Angel_of_Bacon @NightDragon - Thanks for your thoughts! I guess I never looked at it that way, but it makes sense.

I'm an animation student, so I don't do/post much illustration work anymore so I'm not up on what's what in your world. Was very informative. :)

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Anyone got some suggestions for what to see in NY besides the usual museums and stuff?

You should check out Sleep No More. It's sort of a theatre production, but instead of sitting and watching you're wandering around a building following actors, or digging through drawers, or reading journals.

I haven't been but people say it's really cool.

Flay on
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    Can confirm, Sleep No More is amazing, I've been two or three times. It is set in a 'hotel' with odd surroundings and is kind of a modernization of Macbeth. Essentially you are a ghost/spirit witnessing the events. Occasionally cast members will interact with you (usually represents a point in the story where the person is going crazy and seeing things)

It is surprisingly physical because of all the walking. It's also a little pricey but is one of those things where it's completely reasonable for what it is.

• Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Sounds intriguing! I'll be leaving the 17th.

• Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited July 2015
    tynic wrote: »
    Sorry, I was agreeing with you that the trope makes no sense and is destructive to suspension of disbelief, and was trying to say that I can only assume it's because the guys who wrote the character have their head up their ass about what's actually attractive (as opposed to 'badass').

I think that is in a way giving too much credit, because it implies that any thought-even completely wrong-headed thought- was put into the idea of 'what would a woman find attractive'.

A statement that I've heard a couple times when talking about scenes in bad movies (not even sex scenes, just scenes in general) is, "it's like aliens came down and saw a bunch of action movies and decided to make one of their own- they didn't understand any of it, any of the motivations or reasons behind it, but they put this scene in here because that sort of scene occurs in that sort of movie." I think that's more the level that it operates on- it's a trope that has gained a life of its own, and escaped into other works of fiction where they make no sense.

I mean, I'll buy into a lot of dumb shit in movies- I can buy into a universe where giant robots have to fight giant monsters in Pacific Rim. I can buy into an alternate reality where bouncers are world famous in Road House. I shouldn't be that hard to throw in a sentence or two establishing that there's some reason for 2 people to be attracted to each other- or failing that, that said 2 people are the sort of people who are clearly into no-strings-attached compulsive banging (which is what this sort of thing always boils down to, even though it's always sold retroactively as if there's some kind of romantic connection there. They never go, "Well hey, that was fun! Gotta go!" and part ways amicably.)

I guess this is just another one of those things that are supposed to be something that 'straight guys' are all about- sports, heavy drinking, anything having to do with Adam Carolla, etc. that I just will never get. I thought I was a straight guy, but the wisdom of the Hollywood and marketing machines have informed me I must not be. Maybe I've been a Beauty and the Beast style sentient piece of furniture this whole time and I just never knew.
    Now you guys have me thinking over my frustration over how a love interest in a Bond movie will just up and die.

"Bond, I love you!"

You'd think after the sixth or seventh time, maybe Bond would wonder "Is it me? I wonder if its me?"

My favorite example of this is in Rambo: First Blood Part 2, where the entirety of the romance/sex/death subplot is contained in a single sequence that is maybe like, 90 seconds long start to finish. It happens so fast that it reads as a non-sequitur Naked Gun gag rather than a genuine plot point.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    ToasticusToasticus yeah YEAHRegistered User regular
    Oh man, Satoru Iwata has passed. One of the nicest super-successful people in the game industry, or any industry really. Gone way too young at 55. :(

Even before he became the CEO of Nintendo he always pushed for making games that anyone could play. Apparently he was big on leading by example too, and cut his pay in half whenever the company didn't meet goals.

Domo arigato, Iwata-sama.

• Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    I'm curious as to what direction Nintendo will be moving regarding their consoles. They've always felt like they're lacking when compared to Sony or Xbox.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Humble bundle is currently a bunch of game making software. If anyone was ever interested in spritelamp (what gibs was using on their next game to create dynamic lighting) or spriter and rpg maker, this is a goood deal:
    https://www.humblebundle.com/

• Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
    Who's super stoked about the Pluto fly-by? Someone feel giddy about this with me!

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    lyrium wrote: »
    Who's super stoked about the Pluto fly-by? Someone feel giddy about this with me!

Several of the engineers for that mission are based out of the research park by my work. They all have this bumper sticker that says "my other car is on it's way to pluto."

It's pretty great!

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Award for Coolest Bumper Sticker goes to...

• Options
    Not sure if it makes up for the improbably amount of awful peeing Calvin stickers we have around here, but it is Florida so you have three settings:
    • Redneck
    • Crazy Person
    • NASA engineer

• Options

"Bond, I love you!"

Heh, there's a story idea in there somewhere. Imagine if Bond had a secret admirer/stalker, whose biggest wish in the world was to become his love interest and be killed.
    Brb, paging Dan Clowes.

I want to see a Bond movie where the role of the Bond Girl is a straight man who wont stop talking about his kids and wife.

• Options
    I cant stop picturing an animated Bond hanging out with Maes Hughes

• Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Speaking of the Pluto, NASA is sharing all their pluto photos on instagram https://instagram.com/nasa/ the first one that they posted a few hours ago is pretty incredible.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    That is just WILD. 9 years, 3+ billion miles away...

• Options
    acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    NASA: Galactic Darts Champions, since 1959.

• Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    I'm always struck by the wild swings in cost of art supplies. A ream of newsprint that costs anywhere from 8 to 30 dollars, for example.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Oh yay. Someone was playing with my tube of epoxy glue and put the cap on backward. Now I can't open the remaining 3/4 of it.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Ah that's crappy, haha how does one put the cap on backwards!?

I lost my intuos 3 pen months ago and I thought it would surface when I moved but no such luck; they apparently still go for like $75 even on ebay :(

E: NASA update! Apparently many more pictures of everyone's favorite dwarf planet are surfacing today, I am very excited.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    whenever I leave a tablet pen at home when I travel (which is more often than I'd like) I usually end up buying a whole new tablet+pen just because it seems more economical.

• Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    Do you sell it afterwards or do you just have a big stack of tablets at home now?

• Options
    It's more like a smattering.

• Options
    Would you say you have a tableau of tablets?

• Options
    I found out that Intuos Pens dont work on Cintiqs but the reverse is true.

• Options
    Do any of you use font management systems? I'm in the market for one, but they all kinda do the same.

• Options
    acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    Sometimes I download fonts, and I've made a font based on my handwriting once, but nowadays I tend to just physically draw or write my text when it's needed. My handwriting isn't great, but if I take the time to like, draw my words, it ends up looking okay.

So ah, no. Pretty much just photoshop, which does at least show what each font looks like in the little dropdown selector, so you don't have to scroll through all of them to find what you want.

• Options
    I use a mac; the default apple manager FontBook is pretty handy, but I'm not a designer so I'm not looking for much.

• Options
    Yeah, I feel like everything more elaborate than Fontbook is usually just a matter of which software companies you like better?

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    My university used Font Explorer because the fonts were all stored on a server somewhere, that's the only experience I have.

• Options
    I want one that will create categories like 'san serif' and 'script' without me having to put them there myself. Also, i want to preview specific text In multiple fonts. I dont think any of the do that.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Fonts kind of drive me up the wall. Like, neither Illustrator or Photoshop categorize them well. There's no rhyme or reason, the basic stuff is in alphabetical order but not the things you install! At least not by default.

Talking about design stuff, I stumbled onto this through some stuff I follow on twitter and Oh my god I think I need to buy this pack and the other one. $60 for the amount of not only fonts(probably more than worth the deal by themselves) but the other resources just seems like a steal.

https://www.designcuts.com/product/complete-professional-designers-toolkit/?ref=15

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    All my fonts, brushes and textures are stored via alphabetical bits in folders for photoshop. I got so sick of constantly searching that I started doing it manually a year or so back.

• Options
    beckerskullsbeckerskulls Registered User regular
    If anyone has a minute, I'm opening up an Etsy shop and am stuck on choosing a name. Here are the ideas I haven't shot down yet:

happy thought art shop
    happy thought drawings
    happy day illustration
    happy day art shop
    beccalu illustration
    (or) beccalulu illustration
    smiling moon artshop

Going for cute, but not cutesy. It's going to be partly custom wedding/family/pet portraits, but I want to leave room for some of my personal work as well. Care to weigh in?

• Options
    I like beccalu, it feels more personal.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I caught myself saying "Beccalulu" like 3 times. It is a fun word. I vote for that one.

• Options
    beckerskullsbeckerskulls Registered User regular
    Thanks for the input! I'd love to have just plain beccalu or beccalulu, but those are already taken. I've also been playing with:

becca lin's art shop (Lin being my actual middle name and becca lin already being taken).
    beccalulily (which may be a bit...much?)
    beccalinlily
    (or) beccalilies (beccalily being taken)

• Options
    yeah, either of those is fine tbh
    I like the single "lu" because "lulu" exists all over the place in business names already

This discussion has been closed.