As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[tech] It's Tech Spring Cleaning Week now. Clean your....tech....stuff.

• CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    I really want to know where you work now for those to be hanging around.

• ManishtushuManishtushu Registered User regular
    I work at a university.

• CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Ah, that makes total sense.

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I need help deciding between two laptops, specifically for gaming when I travel:
    http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5219#kf
    http://www.sagernotebook.com/Notebook-NP8652-S.html

Opinions? Anyone owned or used Sagers or Gigabyte P-series laptops before that could share their experiences?

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    I need help deciding between two laptops, specifically for gaming when I travel:
    http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5219#kf
    http://www.sagernotebook.com/Notebook-NP8652-S.html

Opinions? Anyone owned or used Sagers or Gigabyte P-series laptops before that could share their experiences?

@godmode I'm on my second sager, and have one at work. I bought the model just under that one (NP8651) earlier this year and love it. What they lack in the design frills they make up a lot in hardware for the price. Though the new NP865X series are pretty sweet with the mostly aluminium chasis compared to some of their older models.

I bought mine through Xotic PC, they have pretty good customer support and you can knock off some of the price if you pay up front in cash.

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    edited July 2015
    The Sager does seem to have the advantage in cooling and speakers...it's just the Gigabyte looks so good.

Oh yeah, before I decide, I'm gonna see what goes on sale for Prime Day.

godmode on
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    once I partition and install windows XP on a drive can I get it so that my computer still always boots to 7 without a prompt?

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    The Sager does seem to have the advantage in cooling and speakers...it's just the Gigabyte looks so good.

Laptop speakers are irrelevant. Cheap ones sound bad, and "good" ones sound bad. The stock iPhone earbuds are a significant step up in sound quality from "good" laptop speakers. My partners ASUS laptop has Bang and Olufson speakers and a little subwoofer that plugs in, and they are about on par with a $10 set of Logitech computer speakers.

Just get a cheap pair of headphones for gaming and watching video on your laptop, do not be swayed by "good" laptop speakers over anything else.

• Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular

Laptop speakers are irrelevant. Cheap ones sound bad, and "good" ones sound bad. The stock iPhone earbuds are a significant step up in sound quality from "good" laptop speakers. My partners ASUS laptop has Bang and Olufson speakers and a little subwoofer that plugs in, and they are about on par with a $10 set of Logitech computer speakers.

Just get a cheap pair of headphones for gaming and watching video on your laptop, do not be swayed by "good" laptop speakers over anything else.

Would you say a good portable bluetooth speaker like the Logitech UE Mini Boom would be better than a MacBook Pro's speakers? I've been thinking of getting one but it looks so tiny I'm not sure it'd be loud enough.

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    So, is it advisable to get the 16gb kindle fire 7 for $114 (w/o special offers) or wait until the fire HDX drops in price down the road?

Strongly considering ordering one, and it's a pretty impulse purchase with prime day

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

Would you say a good portable bluetooth speaker like the Logitech UE Mini Boom would be better than a MacBook Pro's speakers? I've been thinking of getting one but it looks so tiny I'm not sure it'd be loud enough.

Depends what you want if for I would say. Volume and decent sound for music and stuff? The UE Boom should get you there. I have one that I use with my phone and I have no complaints especially not with the volume. As for like gaming or something I don't know if it will meet your needs but I know with mobile UE boom app you can link two together for stereo sound. Not sure if there's a way to do that with a PC though.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist

True, and while I don't expect to do any kind of gaming using just the speakers, it'd be nice sometimes to have the headphones out and watch some Netflix or something for a bit without wanting to claw my ears out, and apparently the Sager Onkyo speakers are "not bad"

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

True, and while I don't expect to do any kind of gaming using just the speakers, it'd be nice sometimes to have the headphones out and watch some Netflix or something for a bit without wanting to claw my ears out, and apparently the Sager Onkyo speakers are "not bad"

yeah they're decent, I usually just game with sound through them unless I'm on voip at the same time

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »

Depends what you want if for I would say. Volume and decent sound for music and stuff? The UE Boom should get you there. I have one that I use with my phone and I have no complaints especially not with the volume. As for like gaming or something I don't know if it will meet your needs but I know with mobile UE boom app you can link two together for stereo sound. Not sure if there's a way to do that with a PC though.

Yeah, just decent volume for movies and stuff. The laptop speakers honestly don't cut it and I dislike having my earbuds on for hours at a time.

even after running chkdsk and scanning for malware trying to install XP on my partition is coming up with an error saying the disk is corrupted. I also tried plan B of booting off an external HD that has XP on it but it wouldn't boot. this isn't going well.

I called an audible and went with the MSI GS60 Ghost Pro-606. It's a GTX970M system with the ultrabook form factor and Dynaudio speakers.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I called an audible and went with the MSI GS60 Ghost Pro-606. It's a GTX970M system with the ultrabook form factor and Dynaudio speakers.

I have the GS60 Ghost Pro-044 (4710HQ, 970M 6GB, 16GB RAM, 1080p) and I love it.

jgeis on
    edited July 2015
    Phew, that's good to hear! I'm glad I didn't make an impulsive mistake :biggrin:

You know what, Geth? I'm gonna install Mass Effect 3 on it.

Hey...Geth's reaction disappeared!

godmode on
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »

Yeah, just decent volume for movies and stuff. The laptop speakers honestly don't cut it and I dislike having my earbuds on for hours at a time.

If you can somehow demo a bluetooth speaker with video. I get audio lag when I use one and watch video with my phone. Never tried with a laptop.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    I've spent hours running diagnostics and there is nothing wrong with my hard drive. why the hell won't this thing install

• KadithKadith Registered User regular
    just throwing it out there, but if it's a newer disk it might have GPT instead of MBR partitioning and only 64bit XP supports GPT.

zkHcp.jpg
    well it looks like you have the option to pick which kind it is in 10 so... that's something...

Nope it says MBR partition

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Might also be formatted with a newer version of NTFS or something. You might have to reformat it with the tools on the XP install disc.

Phew, that's good to hear! I'm glad I didn't make an impulsive mistake :biggrin:

You know what, Geth? I'm gonna install Mass Effect 3 on it.

Hey...Geth's reaction disappeared!

If anything, the biggest criticism of mine would be that it gets noisy under load. It's ventilates pretty well for as thin of a laptop as it is, but to do that it really spins up the fans.

• PhotosaurusPhotosaurus Bay Area, CARegistered User regular
    Just a heads up, Lenovo is running a sale on the P50 UHD Series, GTX 960m 4GB with 16GB ram and a 512GB SSD for $1,429.

I'd been desperate for a new gaming laptop and it turns of my girlfriend gets a discount through her work as well, so this was very good news for a Thursday.

"If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    if anyone has been thinking about how they want to cloud backup their photos I made a handy dandy little video that I'm gonna drop here

you can watch baby face michael blais talk to you about cloud storage for a liiiiiittle longer than he wanted to

https://youtube.com/watch?v=XkHv5ElIsuI

additionally, now that I've rooted my S6 and have greenify running and tweaked the build.prop so it doesn't force close apps if you have three open

pretty damn great phone

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    How difficult is rooting the S6? I know the previous Galaxy S iterations were less than friendly towards that kind of thing.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
    How difficult is rooting the S6? I know the previous Galaxy S iterations were less than friendly towards that kind of thing.

For pretty much every variation it is incredibly easy, a method called PingPongRoot does it and doesn't even trip KNOX

The catch is that if you don't want to trip KNOX and still have root, you need to be on 5.0.x and not on 5.1.x

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    hi t4ct

Langly wrote: »
    hi t4ct

hi langles

T4CT wrote: »
    additionally, now that I've rooted my S6 and have greenify running and tweaked the build.prop so it doesn't force close apps if you have three open

pretty damn great phone

I should probably root my S6. I'm still on 5.0.2 with Verizon so I should be good to go with PingPongRoot.

Is there a guide out there for tweaking the build.prop in the manner you did?

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    hi t4ct

hi langles

alot's changed since you've been gone. i'm the president of Nigeria now, for one thing.

• That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    Mike Blais I would be interested in a video about taking good photos with my phone.

iPhone 6

PSN: ThatDaveFella
    jgeis wrote: »

pretty damn great phone

I should probably root my S6. I'm still on 5.0.2 with Verizon so I should be good to go with PingPongRoot.

yeah, when I'm not at work I'll find the link. It's pretty easy which is nice.

Mike Blais I would be interested in a video about taking good photos with my phone.

iPhone 6

this is on the short list of next vids tbh

jgeis wrote: »

pretty damn great phone

yeah, when I'm not at work I'll find the link. It's pretty easy which is nice.

Nevermind, I guess that the last Verizon update to 5.0.2 killed the pingpongroot method. :/

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

iPhone 6

Shave you junk first.

My experience with Xoticpc hasn't been stellar so far. The "Order Analyst" seems to have messed up the actual purchase no less than three times so far, and the laptop hasn't made it past the "Ordering" stage despite three phone calls and three e-mails.

This discussion has been closed.