As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Prime 2015 Information, FAQ, and Q&A Thread (Ask Questions Here!)

• thr4sherthr4sher Registered User regular
    Is there a general thread for the prime byoc? I don't see one anywhere.

• thr4sherthr4sher Registered User regular
    Well, a couple questions for the staff then about BYOC. I've been going to pax east (mainly FOR the byoc) since the first year they had it. I had to skip east this year so some of my friends and I decided to make the trip out to seattle and attend prime for the first time. Anyway here are my BYOC questions:

1.) is it worth it? The first few years the pax east BYOC was amazing, however the last few years it really went down hill (no offense). The complete lack of BYOC info here makes me worry that the prime BYOC might follow wants downhill trend. So basically yeah... Is it worth it? Will there be contests and/or tournaments for prizes? It's always nice to offset the cost of expenses to attend pax by bringing home some cool prizes that I can actually use. If there's nothing like that going on it hardly seems worth it to bring my computer all the way across the country, or spending time away from the rest of pax if there's nothing special going on in the BYOC.

2.) if there are contests/tournaments with prizes... What games are they for? Rule #1 for any lan: download games and patches ahead of time because the internet connection always sucks. Need to know what to get ahead of time.

3.) is there early entry for BYOC? At pax east we've always been allowed in a side entrance 2 hours early since we are traveling with computers and need time to register at the BYOC desk and actually setup. If there is early entry can we expect info on this any time soon?

Thanks in advance.

• 3vilangel3vilangel Registered User new member
    Hello,
    I really want to be an enforcer for this years PAX's, but it looks like you already have enough people. My boyfriend got excepted to be one this year, and I really hoped that we would be able to do so together. If there is any chance that i could become one this year, that would be amazing. If not that's alright too.

Thank you for your time

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    I know this was asked earlier in the thread, but I can confirm: there will be a dedicated nursing room. Info Booth will have the key to it.
    3vilangel wrote: »
    Hello,
    I really want to be an enforcer for this years PAX's, but it looks like you already have enough people. My boyfriend got excepted to be one this year, and I really hoped that we would be able to do so together. If there is any chance that i could become one this year, that would be amazing. If not that's alright too.

Thank you for your time

Since applications are closed, I'm afraid that there's no way to become an Enforcer for this show at this point.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • sarysary 100% pure awesomesauce manchester, nhRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Imsorad wrote: »
    Skooks wrote: »
    I was wondering if the convention hall has a comfortable area for moms to breast feed their babies and if not what is their policy on breast feeding in the public areas. Thanks
    BTW, it's state law that mothers are allowed to breastfeed in public spaces. We've gotten into jams before where you have no place to go and the kid needs to eat. I'd suggest a breastfeeding cover for mom, they help the baby feel safer and block any gawkers.

Just gave it a quick google myself - your right to breastfeed in public is protected under WA state law, as well as (in Seattle) a local ordinance. That said...

(all information subject to change, of course, but...) If you don't want to nurse in public, or at least not in the main hustle and bustle of PAX (no experience with such things myself, but I don't blame ya, it can get hectic!) I've been told there's a nursing room in the WSCC this year, just ask at the info desk on the 4th floor.

(does this board notify if you @ mention? just in case: @Skooks )

sary on
    Twitter: @seryseraphical

PAX East 2012 Omeganaut. Awesomest. Time. Ever.
  • FenrisfangFenrisfang Edmonton, AB, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I had JUST been on it reading so happened to have it up. lol!

PAX Tickets: check!
    Hotel Booked: check!
    Sitter for the kids: check!
    Excitement level rising: check, check and triple check!
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    @sary notifications are a profile setting :) one can customize how one receives @ mention notifications

• MarinoMarino Giant Bomb Moderator / League of Heels Webmaster Macon, GARegistered User regular
    Looks like the schedule is getting finalized. Several people out there are announcing their time/theatre for the panels already.

• forbiddenvoidforbiddenvoid Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Marino wrote: »
    Looks like the schedule is getting finalized. Several people out there are announcing their time/theatre for the panels already.

Which people, out of curiosity?

ewnk2szpswv2.png

PAX. PAX. PAX. Boom.
  • HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    @forbiddenvoid the easiest way to find out is go to twitter and search for "#PAXPrime", or do a google search for "PAX Prime panels" with a search history going back a week. That's how I tend to find all of mine.

In other news, there is a Starcraft 2 and Heroes of the Storm tournament sponsored by MSI (http://mga.msi.com/). I wonder where that will be held. I'm glad to see SC2 make a comeback to Prime, it's been a few years since the Red Bull LAN :-(

Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
  • MarinoMarino Giant Bomb Moderator / League of Heels Webmaster Macon, GARegistered User regular
    Marino wrote: »

Which people, out of curiosity?

Giant Bomb is Saturday night. Not sure what time or theatre yet.

We Have Concerns (Jeff Cannata/Anthony Carboni) is Saturday at 9:30 PM.

DLC (Jeff Cannata/Christian Spicer/Guests) is Saturday at 1:00 PM.

404ing It (Pat Baer/Eric Pope/Mary Kish/Drew Scanlon) is Saturday at 2:30 PM in Sphinx.

• LazorzLazorz Tokyo, JPRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Official_PAX tweeted this last Friday:

Seeing that people are getting their panel acceptance emails now, the full schedule must be very, very close. Time to get excited!

Lazorz on
  • GrimWulfGrimWulf Registered User regular
    2 questions

1. I've not stayed at the Grand Hyatt before. How large are the normal rooms? Would 1,2,3 etc people be comfortable on the floor?

2. Withe the banner thread going on, I was curious, what happens with previous years banners?

• RidleyDragonRidleyDragon Registered User regular
    I know it's a touch early, but is there going to be a Party thread?

PW0oFIs.png
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
  • LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    whypick1 wrote: »

I think he means a thread outlining all the various PAX parties that crop up.

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
    I know it's a touch early, but is there going to be a Party thread?
    If someone makes one. Those are handled entirely by community members.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    FYI regarding packages sent to the Sheraton:
    Thank you for your email!

The hotel does accept packages and holds them for guests as long as their names are clearly listed. Please ask your Front desk agent. Please be aware of in/out bound fees below.

PACKAGE SHIPPING & HANDLING

In order to provide timely retrieval and delivery of packages when you arrive. Please label all items in your shipment with the name of the guest
    recipient, confirmation and the guest’s arrival date. Our Receiving/Package staff logs all shipments under alphabetical guest recipient name. A
    sample label is shown below. All packages will be held in the hotel Receiving/Package storage until requested by the recipient. A guest message will
    be placed on the guest’s reservation.

Packages can be retrieved 24 hours each day.

SAMPLE LABEL:

NAME OF GUEST RECIPIENT
    c/o SHERATON SEATTLE HOTEL
    1400 SIXTH AVENUE
    SEATTLE, WA 98101

CONFIRMATION NUMBER
    ARRIVAL DATE

HANDLING FEES
    The Sheraton Seattle Hotel assesses handling fees as noted below. For your convience, charges will be posted to your guest room. Charges will
    appear on your account as “Business Center”. Due to limited space, the Hotel cannot store packages for more than three (3) days prior to or three (3)
    days after a guest’s stay. A $25.00 per item, per day charge will be added to your account if storage exceeds this time-frame.

Inbound Packages
    0 to 5 pounds $8.00 each
    6 to 20 pounds $14.00 each
    21 to 50 pounds $19.00 each

Over 50 pounds $60.00 each
    Crates $85.00 each
    Pallets $135.00

Outbound Packages* $6.00 each
    *For pick up of a shipment, guest’s may utilize their personal shipping account or use the Hotel’s service at an additional cost.

At least for the Sheraton, getting Amazon to ship bottled water in lieu of a trip to a local grocer seems less economical that I thought it would be due to the handling fees.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    thanks for posting this info...and that sucks there is a fee for having them accept packages, but oh well. Does anyone know if there are local grocery store delivery options, e.g. Peapod?

• cursecurse Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    thanks for posting this info...and that sucks there is a fee for having them accept packages, but oh well. Does anyone know if there are local grocery store delivery options, e.g. Peapod?

There's Instacart and Postmates, but neither are very price-effective for small-ish orders. Might want to see if you can bundle an order together, though.

Instacart charges for delivery, minimum order is $10, and charges a premium on Costco items, between 10 - 20%, it looks like. The economics might work out slightly better if you can get a bunch of people to pool an order, or go in on a Zipcar and a Costco / Fred Meyer / Target run.

7lcw1cifdzb4.png
    curse wrote: »
    There's Instacart and Postmates, but neither are very price-effective for small-ish orders. Might want to see if you can bundle an order together, though.

Instacart charges for delivery, minimum order is $10, and charges a premium on Costco items, between 10 - 20%, it looks like. The economics might work out slightly better if you can get a bunch of people to pool an order, or go in on a Zipcar and a Costco / Fred Meyer / Target run.

I just checked Instacart, they are offering free delivery on your first order. But if anyone wants to go in on a zip car and take a ride to Costco I'm down with that. I have a membership!

• SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Was there any sort of 'Mountain Dew/Doritos' marketing thing in the queue room last year? And does anyone know if there will be something similar this year?
    If so I will consider skipping the morning lineup for that reason. It just ruined the whole lining up experience for me...
    I really hope this doesn't get taken the wrong way and I'm sorry if this isn't the place. :biggrin:

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Serenity wrote: »
    Was there any sort of 'Mountain Dew/Doritos' marketing thing in the queue room last year? And does anyone know if there will be something similar this year?
    If so I will consider skipping the morning lineup for that reason. It just ruined the whole lining up experience for me...
    I really hope this doesn't get taken the wrong way and I'm sorry if this isn't the place. :biggrin:
    Well, there isn't a queue room this year (the exhibition space is expanded into it). It's just lining up outside. So if they do it, you could just line up where they aren't (hopefully they don't have setups at all the entrances)

YoungFrey on
  • blazertrek50blazertrek50 Registered User regular
    I have yet to receive my passes! Didn't we get them by now last year? Have people received theirs yet?

• HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    I have yet to receive my passes! Didn't we get them by now last year? Have people received theirs yet?

I don't ever remember getting my passes 5 weeks prior to PAX. Patience.

Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
    edited July 2015

No & no. Passes arrive usually 1-2 weeks before the event (depending on where you live too). PAX is still 37 days out. You shouldn't expect anything at best until 8/13 at the earliest.

YoungFrey on
  • SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular

Not sure what they ruined for you since they set up after the morning line went away, but last year the queue room was used by the League of Legends to host their tournament after the morning line dissipated. As YoungFrey pointed out, this year there will be no queue room. That area will become part of the exhibition hall by expanding all the walkways. So same amount of exhibitors, but larger walkways. Hopefully this will help out with overcrowding by lines from popular booths.

Mountain Dew/Doritos doesn't look like they have any promotions coming up for Pax, but Red Bull will most likely be there with their Destiny promotion.

IhtGIyi.png
  • SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    SkeleVader wrote: »

Not sure what they ruined for you since they set up after the morning line went away...

No, I clearly remember them throwing swag at the crowd and having an obnoxious announcer. The banners were also plastered everywhere in that room.
    The queue room should be a sacred place so I'm glad there won't be and haven't been anything like that since...

qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • PerestroikaPerestroika Registered User regular

I don't know about delivery, but there's an IGA grocer near 3rd and Pike if you don't mind the short walk.

It's just me, a block of dirt, and a cavern full of danger.
    PAX Prime Attendee: '10, '12, '13, '14
    Prime 2015 Cosplay: Hilda, Female Sunset City Hero, Squirtle Squad url="http://www.facebook.com/steleus"]X[/url

I don't know about delivery, but there's an IGA grocer near 3rd and Pike if you don't mind the short walk.

The IGA is 0.3mi from the WSCC.
    The Target is 1 block away on 2nd.

YoungFrey wrote: »

The IGA is 0.3mi from the WSCC.
    The Target is 1 block away on 2nd.

Thanks for the info, I always stress too much about thee things, maybe I'll just relax and just take a stroll and see what's available in the vicinity.

• SenorMathiasSenorMathias Calgary, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    So I sent an e-mail at the end of June and earlier this week to PAX Questions in regards to getting an ASL Interpreter for my girlfriend at PAX this year and have yet to receive a response to either. I know last year I received a response relatively quickly, but it has taken quite some time this year. Anybody else finding it is taking considerable time to get a response from them? Is there someone else I should try contacting instead?

Thanks for any information people can provide!

SenorMathias on
  • BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    So I sent an e-mail at the end of June and earlier this week to PAX Questions in regards to getting an ASL Interpreter for my girlfriend at PAX this year and have yet to receive a response to either. I know last year I received a response relatively quickly, but it has taken quite some time this year. Anybody else finding it is taking considerable time to get a response from them? Is there someone else I should try contacting instead?

I'll check with them Monday to make sure they got your email. I don't have any visibility to see myself, but I can ping them when I get back in the office. You sent the request to pax_questions@paxsite.com?

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Bladed CicadaBladed Cicada Registered User regular
    Is there a thread that typically asks for console tourney game input? I can't remember... Blur needs to return so i can defend the crown!

• SenorMathiasSenorMathias Calgary, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Beker wrote: »

I'll check with them Monday to make sure they got your email. I don't have any visibility to see myself, but I can ping them when I get back in the office. You sent the request to pax_questions@paxsite.com?

Yup, that's where it was sent.

SenorMathias on
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Is there a thread that typically asks for console tourney game input? I can't remember... Blur needs to return so i can defend the crown!

I would really, really like it if the You Don't Know Jack! tournament starts before 3:00pm on Monday. It always runs longer than two hours. At South I missed the finale because of this. I realize one of the core tenets of PAX is that you can't see everything, but the way it is scheduled this doesn't seem intentional, and getting that deep into the tournament only affects like 16 people anyway.

ASimPerson on
  • kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I've been racking my brain to see if I remember PAX ever having the ability for people to run Pen and Paper RPGs that people can sign up for either prior or during PAX. I can't seem to remember anything so I thought I'd ask here. The game I want to run is called Sleeper, which is a game set in our world in contemporary times with players taking on the role of genetically altered super powered agents who are trying to save the planet from volcano dwelling evil people. Is there a way I can run this game during PAX? If so, how?

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

kropotkin wrote: »
    I've been racking my brain to see if I remember PAX ever having the ability for people to run Pen and Paper RPGs that people can sign up for either prior or during PAX. I can't seem to remember anything so I thought I'd ask here. The game I want to run is called Sleeper, which is a game set in our world in contemporary times with players taking on the role of genetically altered super powered agents who are trying to save the planet from volcano dwelling evil people. Is there a way I can run this game during PAX? If so, how?
    From what I remember from other PAXen, this is a thing you would likely need to organize yourself and set up in tabletop freeplay. I don't think PAX itself runs any pen and paper directly, although usually wizards hires/contracts someone to run D&D in some official capacity (I think there's a thread for that). All the "official" pax-run console tournaments and card and board game tournaments and such that get onto the schedule are run by enforcers, everything else is freeplay.

This discussion has been closed.