As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

DOOM: Ripping and Tearing After All These Years

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    qbism super8

edit: super beated

Drake on
    how the fuck did I forget this was a thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfIx7efqvf4

edited July 2015
    Darkplaces is pretty great too. It's a shiny engine, not a lo fi one.

Drake on
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Quakeguy's name is Ranger. :mad:

Quakeguy is only named in Quake III, but Q3's continuity is a little borked (it says that Q3's Bitterman is the lead from Quake II but his design looks considerably more like the lead from Quake IV, although the drop pod in Q2 has Bitterman printed on it the default male marine skin from Q2 is named Nathaniel Grunt in Q3).

Also relying on Q3 for naming conventions would mean that Doomguy's name would be simply "Doom" instead of Doomguy or Buddy Dacote or Flynn Taggart or whatever.

Personally I like to think his name is Greg, because it's funny to me that a guy with a name like Greg would be wandering around between dimensions killing monstrously unspeakable horrors.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    august wrote: »
    how the fuck did I forget this was a thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfIx7efqvf4

Oh man. It's a TC where, get this, instead of playing as the X-Men as you would expect, you play as one of Magneto's random flunkies to fuck up a bunch of cyborg clones of the X-Men. The premise could have almost been subversive if it the game wasn't so lame.

• Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Just went back and played a bit of Quake this evening after all the discussion here. It's surprisingly still a lot of fun. The mechanics of combat, the way you move, even little touches like how getting the jump on an enemy will knock it down momentarily... all of it still holds up really well. You feel in control in a way that not many games have replicated since.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Just went back and played a bit of Quake this evening after all the discussion here. It's surprisingly still a lot of fun. The mechanics of combat, the way you move, even little touches like how getting the jump on an enemy will knock it down momentarily... all of it still holds up really well. You feel in control in a way that not many games have replicated since.

I still love that Nightmare difficult was hidden.

I remember having this one big mod where I could spawn a bunch of bots to play against and would just throw in like 7 or 8 every time a map loaded.

I also remember finding some maps where someone essentially merged like 3 or 4 of them together (E1m1-E1m4 would be one map for example).

And Quake was my first exposure to Speed Running due to a demo video on the PC Gamer disc where someone ran the entire game in Nightmare in a little over 20 minutes (all in first person and it looked like one take). Then a couple months later PC Gamer had a sequel demo movie that was more cinematic and completed in under 20 minutes.

newSig.jpg
  • MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    Reaper Bots and Capture the Scrag and... oh my, the nostalgia river is flowing.

• Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular

Quakeguy is only named in Quake III, but Q3's continuity is a little borked (it says that Q3's Bitterman is the lead from Quake II but his design looks considerably more like the lead from Quake IV, although the drop pod in Q2 has Bitterman printed on it the default male marine skin from Q2 is named Nathaniel Grunt in Q3).

Also relying on Q3 for naming conventions would mean that Doomguy's name would be simply "Doom" instead of Doomguy or Buddy Dacote or Flynn Taggart or whatever.

Personally I like to think his name is Greg, because it's funny to me that a guy with a name like Greg would be wandering around between dimensions killing monstrously unspeakable horrors.

doomguy's name is pfc flynn taggart, USMC. the novel i read as an 11 year old told me so and anything else is wrong

also the demons are actually aliens named freds

and there are good aliens named sears and roebuck

doom IV should be about this, not whatever garbage they have been showing so far

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Into Inferno in Doom 1 now. I love the x-treme text walls at the end of episodes.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Quake 4 status: I pushed past the...twist. It got better. It's still no Doom, but yeah the variety of guns you get and finally some interesting mob configurations has made this fun. It's still suuuuuuuper linear so replay value is uber low. But man, getting your hands on a Lighting Gun...a Rail Gun...nostalgia overload. If there's something I LOVE about Id is their guns. You'd think Destiny would get creative being in a Sci Fi setting but nooooooooo.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    I am about to rent the Doom movie because I've never seen it before and because I'm in the mood for a stupid time.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    I am about to rent the Doom movie because I've never seen it before and because I'm in the mood for a stupid time.

You poor bastard

JtgVX0H.png
    edited July 2015
    The game references are coming fast and loose

Like, this movie is bad, but it's not the train wreck that the Super Mario movie was

At least not yet

Ceno on
    The Doom movie was overall forgettable...

But dat FPS sequence tho

Steam | Twitch
  • dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I want to say someone remade many of the levels from the first chapter of the original Doom in the D3 engine and it was fantastic fun. I've actually considered reinstalling and trying to find the map pack just to play it again. It's not an exact port of the maps, as some stuff is functionally different now but the flow and feel was right on. I have to say, the gameplay style stands up just fine.

Making it more like call of duty or other modern shooters with a brown color palate and "futuretech" aesthetic of way too many smooth shiny surfaces really isn't doing Doom IV any favors.

Oh hey, it was called cdoom and it's the entire shareware chapter now. When I played it was only a few levels.

dispatch.o on
    Man

That was a stupid fucking movie

But holy shit that first person section

I was not expecting chainsaw vs pinky

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    The best part of Doom film was when we were watching it at the theater and got to the scene where the zombified dude kept ramming into the wall until he died. My brother called out aloud, "Man, that's some shitty AI."

That movie was so aggressively dumb, but I respect its stupidity in a way. It's no Street Fighter though, the all-time champion of relentlessly dumb and glorious videogame movie cheeseball (and, in fact, the greatest video game film of all time).

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

doomguy's name is pfc flynn taggart, USMC. the novel i read as an 11 year old told me so and anything else is wrong

doom IV should be about this, not whatever garbage they have been showing so far

I seem to remember DOOMguy being a descendent of BJ Blazkowicz, and Flynn Taggart doesn't sound like a particularly Polish name to me?

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2015

I seem to remember DOOMguy being a descendent of BJ Blazkowicz, and Flynn Taggart doesn't sound like a particularly Polish name to me?

Commander Keen is a descendant of BJ Blazkowicz.

His father, a radio DJ, changed his last name to Blaze, so that's why Keen's real name is "Billy Blaze" and not "Billy Blazkowicz"

EDIT: Wait, it seems the Wolfenstein RPG also implies Doomguy is a descendant.
    In the Wolfenstein RPG, it is implied that the Marine is the descendant of William "B.J." Blazkowicz. In a reference to the Marine's confrontation with the Cyberdemon, when Blazkowicz defeats the "Harbinger of Doom", the creature states that he will return in the future to confront his descendants.

Undead Scottsman on
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Keen is BJ's grandson, Doomguy is Keen's grandson, the slipgate technology was stolen via industrial espionage from the UAC, the Strogg were created long ago by the Vadrigar who completely forgot about them, the post-apocalyptic event mentioned in some of the Q3 character's background stories was the meteor from Rage (and in the ensuing wars that followed, many Hovertanks were used on the battlefield), and all of this happened a thousand years after Petton Everhail delved into the catacombs.
    If Nintendo can cram all of the Zelda games into one timeline than damn it I can do it with all of id's.

• wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    In my head Doomguy's name is Guy Doom. The doom in the title isn't the demonic invasion, its sprinting shotgunner coming for the demons.

Well, that or John Stalvern.

wilting on
    Keen is BJ's grandson, Doomguy is Keen's grandson, the slipgate technology was stolen via industrial espionage from the UAC, the Strogg were created long ago by the Vadrigar who completely forgot about them, the post-apocalyptic event mentioned in some of the Q3 character's background stories was the meteor from Rage (and in the ensuing wars that followed, many Hovertanks were used on the battlefield), and all of this happened a thousand years after Petton Everhail delved into the catacombs.
    If Nintendo can cram all of the Zelda games into one timeline than damn it I can do it with all of id's.

This... I can get behind this.

Steam | Twitch
    I wonder if they'll release the old games along with the new one. Maybe in a collectors edition or something.

• TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    We should try to get some games of Quake1 again. Hell, the Steam group, Wang Quakes (which was made several years ago i think) still exists.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
    TelMarine wrote: »
    We should try to get some games of Quake1 again. Hell, the Steam group, Wang Quakes (which was made several years ago i think) still exists.

Yeah, I'm still in it. There's only 12 members total, heh

JtgVX0H.png
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular

I mean, BJ is American and even if he wasn't all it takes is one marriage for a last name change.

TelMarine wrote: »

Yes the old Quake night was good times. Do we have anyone that can put up a server? We could do it like last time. Just grab a source port and some classic community maps, put the package together and then we have FREE QUAKES.

Even better, do it next week while QuakeCon is going on. Promise you'll get some participation then!

Steam | Twitch
    Yo, dog. I heard you like Doom.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbnfYBFKD1g

• Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    it would be amazing if you could keep finding doom arcade machines in the level

edited July 2015
    About a week ago I uploaded 3 old screens I had taken of the Quake mod Unforgiven played in the qbism Super8 engine into Google's Deep Dream project after seeing some examples of regular Quake done this way. If you don't know what Google Deep Dream is, it's what happens when you give a computer psilocybin. Here's the pics, apparently they get shrunken down. If I had known that I would have sent larger files because it took a fucking week for processing anyways.

149079.jpg
    149079.jpg

149012.jpg
    149012.jpg

148907.jpg
    148907.jpg

Drake on
  • ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    I would love to play a game with that kind of weird imagery going on.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
    Fuckin dogs in everything

JtgVX0H.png
  • ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Sounds rough.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
    It certainly makes one paws for reflection.

Steam | Twitch
    Shimshai wrote: »
    Sounds ruff.

JtgVX0H.png
    august wrote: »
    Yo, dog. I heard you like Doom.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbnfYBFKD1g

Someone needs to mod Quake to have a console to play Doom which then plays Wolfenstein 3D.