As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Traditions ?

Jigglypuff510Jigglypuff510 Registered User regular
I think I want to start a tradition of every time I go to PAX East I will go to the PC Freeplay area and play CS:GO what are your traditions ?

TbjrD9q.png

• rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    Seems like one of my traditions so far though would like to change cause not very fun is get way to drunk thursday night and hate myself friday morning

• TabooPhantasyTabooPhantasy Registered User regular
    My tradition of getting way too drunk Thursday night and waking up fine Friday morning sounds much better.

I am hoping to make a tradition out of getting hot pot and sushi on Thursday afternoon with friends! I also wanted to make Saturday night dinner a tradition, but that does not seem to be in the cards.

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
  • TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    I always seem to make one online cross over into the real world every PAX I go to so I guess that? OH, and every year I've gone with my current group, the first thing we have to do in the hotel room is that I powerslam my best friend onto the bed. This may have started from a wrestling match a few years ago...

• jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    The one thing I do every year is visit the classic arcade. Granted, this past year was a little disappointing with ACAM not doing it, but I hope they will come back or either the new sponsor beef up the classic selections.

• Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    My friends and I always start PAX off with beermosas at a local pub @ 8:00 am on PAX Friday; it's impossible to do every day, so we just celebrate the official start of PAX. We had another person join us this year; hoping more will join us next year.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    Harpoon for beer and pretzels Thursday afternoon then dinner together Thursday night before we all start going in all different directions Friday

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Usually: some form of Henry Rollins spoken word on the drive up, pub crawl the Thursday and liquor runs in NH on the drive up, too.

Oh, and cigars on the pub crawl.

They're basic traditions, but they serve us well.

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
  • emarecksaykayemarecksaykay Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    My sole PAX tradition (at Prime, East, and South) is to go to the Chessex booth first thing and get a new set of dice. I then use said dice playing Pathfinder and/or D&D during PAX at some point... usually. This tradition has only been established since '09 (my first PAX was '07) and I don't think Chessex was at the very first PAX East, or at any rate I didn't get dice there. Otherwise, it's been a very consistent tradition and my group always makes fun of me a little for rushing straight to the Chessex booth as soon as we get in.

I guess my other tradition is to get a PAX t-shirt with the year on it, so I can (in theory) go back someday and try to figure out just how many I've been to.

I've been to so many PAXen at this point (lost count) that I've not really done anything else consistently. Every PAX for me is a different sort of experience. Some have been mainly about panels, sometimes it's tabletop, other times it's been freeplay areas, tournaments, swag hunting the expo hall, or anything else you can think of. Oh, and one year I was even an Omeganaut and made it to the fourth round; that was an amazing experience. The only things I have not done at PAX have been going to every concert, cosplaying, or being an Enforcer. All three experiences, I expect, I'll eventually get around to (may try for Enforcer this next PAX East, now that I'm living in the Boston area).

At this point, I go in with what I call PAX Zen. I make a list of three things I must do at that PAX. I then typically do only one of them, but I'm okay with that because I end up doing other things instead of my list that are even more fun and unexpected. The best thing about PAX is not having a plan, and being open for all sorts of adventure. There is always fun to be had, interesting people to meet and play games with, and generally just

emarecksaykay on
    -mrxak, OMEGANAUT '09
    (You just say the letters)
  • klzklz Registered User regular
    I've gotten the ThinkGeek buttons every year they've done it. It's fun to look at the common themes each year and to guess what the theme would be after getting the Friday one.

• ItaraItara Registered User regular
    This will only be my 2nd year heading to east, but we are hoping to make a tradition of getting ramen on Sunday night. That was the best end to a con I've ever had!

• KeroanKeroan Chicago, IllinoisRegistered User regular
    I ALWAYS go to Mr. Bartley's burgers the day before PAX East. Damn if those aren't the best burgers in the whole entire world. Tiny place and only takes cash though! If you take the subway, it stops right near there on the Harvard stop I believe.

• KaronethKaroneth Elder Scrolling Online Co-Host Lakehurst, NJRegistered User regular
    On Thursday we always go sightseeing, then we eat someplace new for dinner with the gang. We also have a nice goodbye dinner on Sunday night and we traditionally leave on Monday morning so we can relax after PAX and play board or dice games. PAX itself is so dynamic with panels, parties and activities it's hard to say anything else within pax itself is a tradition as each year we do different stuff on each day!

• VGguy49VGguy49 Registered User regular
    Only been 2 times but I always try to watch the Runaway Guys panel, and I try to see other YouTubers.

Also what ever "swag" Nintendo has next year (if they go) I'm gonna try to collect all of it like I did this year.

Wishes he could change his username
  • nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    Two small traditions as I try to make my PAX a little different each year.

1. I always go to the north end on Thursday night.
    2. Always try to play or teach a new game at pre-pax board game night

• WiFiPunkWiFiPunk Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    So far every year I've found whatever dev I was obsessing over, buy a shirt, have them sign it, and take a picture with them holding it over me.
    Then I frame them, and hang them on my wall.
    It's an oddly specific tradition, but I enjoy it.

Also, PokeCrawl.

WiFiPunk on
    PAX East 2015 Status: Badge[X] Hotel[X] Car[X] Vacation[X]
    Yea last year I got ken levine think thats how you spell it to auto a pic of rapture I had bought at one of the booths have that hanging up on my wall right now

• KorvasKorvas Registered User regular
    My tradition of getting way too drunk Thursday night and waking up fine Friday morning sounds much better.

I am hoping to make a tradition out of getting hot pot and sushi on Thursday afternoon with friends! I also wanted to make Saturday night dinner a tradition, but that does not seem to be in the cards.

I like this tradition you want to start!

• VGguy49VGguy49 Registered User regular
    This is slightly related slightly unrelated, but I have started kind of collecting Animal Crossing Amiibo Cards. Now obviously I may be unable to go, but if I do go to PAX, would anyone want to trade? (Its kind of related because it would be a cool thing to do every year)

Wishes he could change his username
    Another one I have is I make sure to hit fire and ice on either fri or sat night its around 25-30 for dinner but its all you can eat and just a fun place to go. Also helps you get a full stomach before you fill it with booze lol

• Jigglypuff510Jigglypuff510 Registered User regular
    I'm up for smash bros money matches of their allowed at the convention

TbjrD9q.png
  • coldycoldy Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I drive down with some friends from Montreal for the past 5 years. On Friday, after watching the keynote, we immediately walk over to Sam LaGrassa's for a sandwich and then come back to explore the show floor. Same routine every year; never gets old. :)

coldy on
  • RandomfoolRandomfool loofmodnar Rochester, NYRegistered User regular
    My favorite tradition is playing an epic Munchkin game with my friends from high school, one of whom hates it with a passion.

I also really enjoy spending Thursday night getting lots of people drunk.

I do Pokecrawl things. Professor Team Instinct, Hufflepuff supporter.@loofmodnar

B4o6XD4.png
  • InfiniteNuLLInfiniteNuLL Registered User regular
    We only have a group of maybe 11 of us going this year. We're planning on having a table top night for at least one of the nights. Of course, we have our usual dinner meeting up on that Thursday.

FF14 - Failia Zebonaiza, Behemoth Server, FC: 404 Guild Not Found
    PAX East Attendee - 2015, 2016
  • RastRast Keene NHRegistered User regular
    Randomfool wrote: »

And my tradition is being among those people!

Pax East 2015: Hotel [X] Passes [X] PokeCrawl [ ] Pure Joy [X]
  • ironysparklesironysparkles Lowell, MARegistered User regular
    When we arrived in Boston Thursday night two years ago, playing games in the Weston lobby was awesome, and I'd love to do that again this year! Another tradition is dinner or lunch out with the fiance, since PAX is where we started dating and became engaged! The concerts are another event I try to get to, though the lack of The Protomen has been a downer for me the past couple years.

UyhWici.png
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Harpoon Brewery on the Thursday, always. Beer and the best pretzels I've ever had, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Randomfool wrote: »

I rather like that tradition as well!

My pin lanyard

8hQBw4O.png
  • pilotman996pilotman996 Boston, MARegistered User regular
    At past PAX's, there have been a few people who made up trading cards and then tried to collect them all.

The cards would have your avatar, some other things, and sometimes a QR code to your twitter.

q3xyb8ai5maa.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah, that was for the first 3 easts, and was pretty fun. It sort of fizzled out though.

• InfiniteNuLLInfiniteNuLL Registered User regular
    I'm guessing the next tradition would be one everyone would participate in: the mad rush for tickets when they finally announce.

FF14 - Failia Zebonaiza, Behemoth Server, FC: 404 Guild Not Found
    PAX East Attendee - 2015, 2016
  • SolanalesSolanales CMYKMatter Registered User regular
    I'm guessing the next tradition would be one everyone would participate in: the mad rush for tickets when they finally announce.

The hangout drama.... the draaaaaama when tickets start. Totally the "best" PAX tradition lol

P0P7S6y.png
    Welp! That's settled! Time to start working on the playlist!

My pin lanyard

8hQBw4O.png
  • InkRavenInkRaven Registered User regular
    My tradition has been making a playlist for he drive up every year. I already started a few weeks back, this year seems to be disco-influenced EDM.

• EradiKateEradiKate Registered User regular
    My husband and I eat an entire large pizza from Regina Pizzeria and split a pitcher of Sam Adams. Then we go to the Giant Bombcast Live panel.

PAX East Attendee. Professional Tabletop Gamer. Donut Enthusiast.
  • TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    My friends and I always start PAX off with beermosas at a local pub @ 8:00 am on PAX Friday; it's impossible to do every day, so we just celebrate the official start of PAX. We had another person join us this year; hoping more will join us next year.

Where does this take place?

• pilferkpilferk Master of Unlocking CTRegistered User regular
    rascrush wrote: »
    Seems like one of my traditions so far though would like to change cause not very fun is get way to drunk thursday night and hate myself friday morning

My wife and I hit Whiskey Priest Thursday night for our annual pre-pax, wooo hooo we're away from the kids this weekend, drink fest....right after we get dinner at No Name. :)

I anticipate that tradition will live on, this year, as well!

• bandersneebandersnee Registered User regular
    Every year I make sure to make the Pax breakfast the Thursday morning before. Last year it was kind of a small crowd, but it was a great time.

• SolanalesSolanales CMYKMatter Registered User regular
    Last year was our first year, but we're making this restaurant called Trade part of our trip again this year. It could be a tradition in the works. SO GOOOOOD

P0P7S6y.png
  • iFishiFish Programmer CanadaRegistered User regular
    For me it's sort of become a PAX East tradition to go to the Prudential Center(mall) on Thursday night and have dinner at the Cheesecake Factory.

Also I always make it a point to go to any panels by Riot, but that's not really a tradition as much as it is an interest

• CoanCoan TorontoRegistered User regular
    The closest I got is finishing streetpass puzzles

However, last year one of the people I raid with in FFXIV was going and we met up and hung out and were able to get beers. He doesn't have tickets this year but I still want to make plans to get some drinks regardless.

I fall into the group of people who do so much different year to year it's hard to put anything into a set schedule or tradition. Some of the best experiences and some regrets have been things I did (mini painting by reaper in my first year) or didn't do on the fly (last year being that I turned down playing sentinel tactics because I had only just hit the TT area and wanted to look around before sitting down and they were in constant games after that).

Posting on the phorum again like its 1999