As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bojack Horseman: Free Churros

QuidQuid Definitely not a bananaRegistered User regular
edited September 2018 in Debate and/or Discourse
tNhjbwa.jpg

Second season is out! Just watched the first episode and it was not only good but honestly an improvement over the last season too.

For those not familiar with the show
In a world where humans and anthropomorphic animals live side by side, BoJack Horseman, the washed-up star of the 1987 sitcom Horsin' Around, plans his big return to celebrity relevance with a tell-all autobiography that he dictates to his ghostwriter and recent love interest Diane Nguyen. BoJack also has to contend with the demands of his agent and on-again-off-again girlfriend Princess Carolyn, his freeloading roommate Todd Chavez, and his frenemy Mr. Peanutbutter, who is also Nguyen's boyfriend.

It's a show filled to the brim with dark humor. Not for someone looking for something lighthearted but definitely an amazing show overall.

Start binging!

Quid on

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    my roommate and I are watching the first season again in preparation for the second

something about this show just makes it exactly suited to summer

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Watched the first five episodes last night. Goddamn this show is so good.

Also, I can't believe (end of ep4 spoiler)
    they had a cameo from fucking Paul McCartney

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Wow, while Rick and Morty has been teasing their return for what feels like a decade, this just sorta boop, outta nowhere, there it is.

Oh brilliant
  • DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    I started watching a few episodes of season 2 last night. Still good!

Gonna check out the audition/screen test shorts after I'm done the season.

• AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    "It's like if Back to the Future and Peggy Sue Got Married got married."

Yes, I really like this show.

S2E7
    "Guys, earlier some general asked me if it was a go on the thing we talked about earlier and I said "yes" and he said "God help us all" and left the room... now I'm not so sure that was the right answer."

ahahah holy shit

Binged season 2 today. I am so unhappy there's no more episodes for me to watch, but I'm so happy this show exists. I think it's gold.

I think what keeps it together, apart from the excellent writing and characters (that I care about as if I or someone close to me created them) is that all the seriousness, its all wrapped up in a fantastical, self-aware and therefore consciously and coherently evolving setting. Like in Community, 30 Rock or OITB, other favorite shows of mine.

It has the same effect that good fantasy or sci-fi literature has - the subtle detachment from the realistic and sane makes the characters and their situations more meaningful than if they were rooted to the exact same rules that people in reality or realistic shows have to follow.

I think there's this sensation that what I'm watching promises even greater things for the future, because it combined a daring concept in a different business model, operating in a changing industry and artform, with good-old competent execution and writing. I'm very affected and I want to understand why.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    "Oh shove it up your ass with a spoon full of sugar you supercalifragilisticexpialibitch."

I need to find an annoying anglophile.

• OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    Amazing. (ep11)
    OsmsUo0.jpg?1

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Amazing. (ep11)
    OsmsUo0.jpg?1
    Beep beep!
    p-tang!

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Amazing. (ep11)
    OsmsUo0.jpg?1

Subtle!

I'm at Chickens and I had to turn the show off for the time being because holy fuck is that dark. This show gets so bleak sometimes that I have to take regular breaks.

Also Lisa Kudrow is adorable. I want to date an owl now. YOLO.

• BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    This show often puts me in the mind of Duckman. Better written than I remember Duckman being but still hits the same sort of highs and lows.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    The near end of season 2 gets so super dark. I love this show.

The cellphone ringer gag in the final episode was fucking amazing. had me in stitches and noone I know listened to serial so I couldn't talk to anyone about it.

Also I need a big red bag that just says "SPY SHIT" on the side.

steam_sig.png
    Episode 11
    Jesus fuck Bojack what are you doing?

Beezel wrote: »
    Episode 11

We don't really know what he was doing in that situation. That's the point.

Absalon wrote: »
    Episode 11

He was self destructing in a worse way than we've come to expect.

• FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    I love this show so much. The punches that the drug hallucination episode near the end of the first season delivered were so emotional, and that were building for the whole season? I was amazed that a cartoon was capable of doing this. And now I'm hearing that the second season has another episode like that? Glorious.

I've also read that everybody involved in this show has an absolute blast doing it, which only makes me happier. And the names that they get on here! Olberman is one of my favorites.

Can't wait to get through the rest of second season.

Tav wrote: »
    Episode 11

Maybe. I don't think that's the kind of unambiguous lapse in all judgment the writers/animators wanted to present.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Love this show. Before I watch season two, can anyone tell me if business kid is back? Still doing important business stuff?

Best minor character ever.

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    he shows up yeah

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Episode 11

Maybe. I don't think that's the kind of unambiguous lapse in all judgment the writers/animators wanted to present.
    He told her to go to bed, then left the door open. Maybe he did that subconciously, and he was telling her to leave when the mother walked in, but I doubt it.

steam_sig.png
  • OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    Episode 11

He told her to go to bed, then left the door open. Maybe he did that subconciously, and he was telling her to leave when the mother walked in, but I doubt it.
    If he meant it that way he probably would have said "Come to bed." Maybe she went after him and that's when he finally cracked.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    God damn.

Bojack Horseman, smashing past rock bottom like an industrial drill.

Episode 11

I'm really not sure what you mean? He knew full well what he was doing at that point and just how burned that bridge was going to be.

• Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Phew, finished.

I really, really love this show. It is poignant as fuck, and every single emotional beat that they are shooting for hits me square in the chest.

Here's the song from the finale credits, which I found to be really great and went off looking for and then I found it and here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcnIhzaDTd0

Tempted to rewatch season 1 after this.

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    The only character on this show that I legit do not like is Diane. She's just so... flat. A snooze fest.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Mr Peanutbutter's face looks weird when he looks straight at the camera.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    The Vanessa Gecko reveal is the best joke in the whole series.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    I really liked the Becca chicken puns.

And the black sheep in the Boston episode kept making me chuckle in every scene he was in.

• skyknytskyknyt Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Episode 11

I'm really not sure what you mean? He knew full well what he was doing at that point and just how burned that bridge was going to be.

Yep, he likes to force other people into a confrontation where they have to forgive him for some awful transgression or put their foot down and throw him out of their lives for good. It fuels his whole self destructive psychodrama.
    there was literally no way for him to do that without getting caught, and he wanted nothing more than to get caught in the act. charlotte kicking him out means he never, ever, ever has to think about her again, and it was "her fault".

Tycho wrote:
    [skyknyt's writing] is like come kind of code that, when comprehended, unfolds into madness in the mind of the reader.
    PSN: skyknyt, Steam: skyknyt, Blizz: skyknyt#1160
    skyknyt wrote: »
    Episode 11

Yep, he likes to force other people into a confrontation where they have to forgive him for some awful transgression or put their foot down and throw him out of their lives for good. It fuels his whole self destructive psychodrama.
    there was literally no way for him to do that without getting caught, and he wanted nothing more than to get caught in the act. charlotte kicking him out means he never, ever, ever has to think about her again, and it was "her fault".
    I don't think it was so much him wanting to get caught so much as him trying to fill the void with 'the next best thing' because Charlotte said no even though he rebuked Penny twice already. I think Bojack at that point has already given up on being a good person. He knows he's a piece of shit. He knows he's broken. He's just grasping at whatever temp relief he can get and being selfish and destructive. As soon as the prom came up, I buckled in. Bojack had been grooming Penny, (I don't think that was intentional but that's what it was) for the past couple months he'd been there. The writers on the show don't seem too interested in leaving behind that kind of ambiguity.

I do find it interesting it was pointed out that the f-bomb has only been used twice on the show. Both times by people from his past he felt the strongest connection to ejecting him from their lives.

Episode 10
    Did anyone else feel bad when Wanda wasn't in the opening anymore? It felt really sad and finalizing

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Phew, finished.

I really, really love this show. It is poignant as fuck, and every single emotional beat that they are shooting for hits me square in the chest.

Here's the song from the finale credits, which I found to be really great and went off looking for and then I found it and here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcnIhzaDTd0

Courtney Barnett is pretty great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-nr1nNC3ds

My question is for Diane Nu...Nugent?

Man, I've been told how to pronounce Nguyen like 5 times and I keep forgetting.

Also I love Wanda even if Bojack doesn't.

Oh brilliant
    Seeing as how she's producing Mr. PB's show, I doubt (hope) it's not the last we've seen of her.

edited July 2015

Northern Vietnam: a quite fast (it sounds like one syllable) "gouyen" with the briefest of stops before the "g" sound. The 'ou' part of the vowel sound is really short.

Southern Vietnam: More difficult - sounds like how you'd pronounce the onomatopoeia "boing" if it had a g in the beginning. The beginning G is nasal, the vowel sound (diphthong) in the middle shifts from 'oi' to a subtle 'eh' sound (approx. how the first 'e' in 'cayenne' is pronounced) and the final -ng sound has a very weak g.

It seems as if critics are a lot more positive this time around, which is great. The first season isn't easy to get into but the 6/10 average it received is ridiculous.

Absalon on
    I knew a guy named Nguyen in my class.

He pronounced it as "Winn"

I loved how nonchalantly Bojack was like "you're not gonna get it" when someone tried to pronounce it.

No. End of Episode 11
    NOOOO

WHAT THE FUCK BOJACK

Why would you leave that door open

Oh brilliant