As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

how do I execute? (or rather congrats you are now Executor class)

MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
Hi kids
Some of you might remember that my mom passed away this past April. Well, as luck has it, my dad passed away this evening (not unexpected, but rather a lot quicker than I thought).
Apparently according to their wills, I'm the executor of their estate(s).
i'm not looking for specific legal advice, (hnt, i live in NJ) but where the hell do i begin?

steam:maguano2
gamertag:Maguano71
Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687

• Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    My condolences.

I would consult with a legal and tax professional in your area. Shouldn't be too hard to locate via google/yelp/phonebook.

I'm sure you'll be busy with personal matters and other arrangements. Let a professional sort through the paperwork and ensure you're not going to miss anything that's going to come back and bite you later like the final return for the decedent and the return for the estate.

• Options
    Kilgore TroutKilgore Trout Registered User regular
    Sorry to hear about your loss.

I would suggest that you talk with a lawyer who works with estate law. Although I am not one myself, I used to work for one and helped with the preparation of wills and other estate tools. The lawyers who do this kind of work understand that this is a difficult time and dealing with legal details is probably the last thing you have on your mind. They know that it can be overwhelming and are there to help you tackle acting as executor one step at a time.

As a quick overview, depending on the contents of the will and what the estate looks like, you will have to deal with things like contacting beneficiaries, valuing the estate, and overseeing any specific directions (for example, writing instructions for social media accounts is becoming more common). Your lawyer is there to help deal with the technicalities and the process so lean on that support if you need it.