As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On] Phantasy Star Universe - Out now!

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm still AFK from PSU, but I still keep up with info. I'll probably resub when the last online mission comes from JP to US, apparently it's already online over there.

But from pso-world:
    * Two more new lobbies have been revealed: a bamboo village and a gravesite. (Players from PSO will likely recognize the second of those two.)
    * A new item delivery system will allow players to transfer items from their nanotransformer back to their room while in the lobby.
    * A new transport system will allow players to move from lobby to lobby (for a small fee) without needing a party member in the lobby they wish to go to.
    * Players will be able to move their room to any of the three planets they wish!
    * Shop search functions have been upgraded, now allowing players to search by price, rarity, category and other descriptors.
    * PM storage capacity will be able to be increased through the use of a special item called a Nanotransformer EX.
    * Item synthesis rates will go up on all items, but those that require extremely rare materials will see an even larger increase in success rates.

I was going to bold the good ones, but hell, they're all good.

Cool beans, looking more and more forward to this.

EDIT: Er, those are new notes from AOI, in case there was any confusion.

EDIT2: Hey, so is the no MP loss from players dying in missions already implemented? Hells, that would be awesome. Soooooooooooooooooooooooo much meseta wasted on Scape Dolls.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah the new stuff is sounding very awesome. Also if you click the link from where the info came from, there's some more stuff too like male PM's. I think you can have a butler.

Also yes, on PC/PS2 servers the death =/= loss of S rank is in effect. I know because when I fought Fakis one of my teammates didn't have scapes and died about 30 times. He even brought his PM and an NPC and they died countless times. And I still got my frag and money in the end. Also the cash reward for Fakis is crap. Don't do it for the cash. Do it for the exp and the epic experience.

Edit: Oh, but you will lose rank if whoever died returns to the lobby. They need to be revived by a moon atomizer or giresta.

Gilder on
  • Options
    omega71omega71 Too old for a title, too ornery to care. Sacramento, CaliRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I am so glad they took away that death penalty thing for s-ranking..I would get so pissed trying to level my PM's and losing the ranking because she was level 1 and getting ass raped by something..

Now I can happily level Oprah's Vajayjay and not worry about that

omega71 on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So I'll never go online with this and I have it for the 360. Is the expansion actually coming out for the 360? If so will it be adding any of the only only stuff to the single player missions?

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    The expansion is coming out for the 360. It's supposed to be downloadable from the marketplace and I don't know anything about the single-player because nobody really does. Sega seems to not want any information about the single player mode released before the game comes out.

Gilder on
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This has probably been asked a couple of times already in this thread, but are there still many people playing this on the 360? Are the PA folk on 360 or PC/PS2?

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    360 has a higher population but whatever few PA people there are left, we're mostly on PC/PS2. However most are on hiatus and even I've taken a break for Persona 3 and such. I think more people will come though when the expansion hits. The amount of awesome stuff they're adding is insane.

Gilder on
  • Options
    omega71omega71 Too old for a title, too ornery to care. Sacramento, CaliRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    So are we getting Famitsu Cup or not, I couldnt find anything on the US ps2/pc site for it, and the forums are all bieng dicks about it

omega71 on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    It's unsure as of now but I'm going to say we probably won't. If we do it would probably be next month though as we're rapidly approaching the time frame for the expansion to be released. Once we get into the last 2 months before it comes out, I seriously doubt we'll get anything except for the last story mission and whatever S2's we still need, which I think is only the HIVE.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I really hope we get it though, I mean 5x drop rates sounds incredibly enticing

omega71 on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    It really does. It's probably the only way I'd ever manage to get anything good. I'm looking at YOU Me/Quick.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    So they've released a video showing the PSO-type battle system in the expansion. Click. See how many english words you can recognize!

Also, PS2/PC players will get a Tails statue if they log on at any time Saturday September 1st. 360 players also get a chance for another weapon, the real spear, by ONCE AGAIN playing the demo on September 1st or 2nd. God dammit Sega, stop using the demo for your giveaways on the 360. This is like the 7th time you've done it. Come up with something original.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    how is that a pso type battle system? Do you mean the hit timing?

Because there wasn't any sort of dodge/sidestep in PSO.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited August 2007
    Yeah I meant the hit timing. I actually had forgotten about the evade part. Maybe I'll be able to use that. Hit timing probably isn't for spells.

Gilder on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Ok, help me out here. I'm only in Extra Mode and I want to make my PM be the little green chickie with the Rod. Can I do that? If so, how? Just up it's Technic score? Or is it network mode only? The start guide is woefully unclear.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Ok, help me out here. I'm only in Extra Mode and I want to make my PM be the little green chickie with the Rod. Can I do that? If so, how? Just up it's Technic score? Or is it network mode only? The start guide is woefully unclear.

Technic score I'm pretty sure. It's a weapon with a stat to actually go with it (technic). The only weird ones are things like the guns. If you want to you can use the PM generator but it gives online stats. PM's evolve faster offline.

http://www.inconsequentialexistence.com/psu/

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Just keep feeding it wands, if you can afford it feed it nothing but b and a rank wands..nothing else, since I believe the wands up the Technic score..

I know I fed my PM all a rank swords and it is a pure strike PM

omega71 on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    yes, the higher rank weapons will give you more points, but Meseta for Mesata, since the costs of weapons increase on a curve, the value of the "points" you get for higher rank items isn't worth their relative cost.

If you get them as drops and can't sell them in your shop, go ahead and make them PM food; but financially the most efficent way of leveling a PM is to feed it the lowest, cheapest weapons you can find/buy. It takes longer but from 0-100 it costs far less.

Trust me, I leveled 3 PM's to 100 for the hell of it. I have a 100 Striking, 100 Ranged and 100 Tech. I will do a 100 Armor when I come back with AOI.

psupedia.info is your friend for all things psu.

EDIT: Haha, showing my roots. Called them mags instead of PM's. :P

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited August 2007
    Also I lost the game to get my name changed. :P

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited August 2007
    It is a pretty awesome name though. So much more original.

Gilder on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Got this again from Amazon a few months ago for $10 for the 360, and am finally considering pulling it from the plastic to finally play. Was curious, I have at least one other person I know who will be playing on the 360, so I was curious if anyone over here was still playing? Would love to get a decent little group of players together for it.

Aoi on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Man, did they ever fix the tech PM's resta glitch? That and the dwindling population made me quit. I kind've hope the expansion rejuvenates the community. This is basically my ideal MMO. I'd probably prefer slightly more rare drops to rare crafting, but otherwise, I really loved everything about it.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Frosteey wrote: »
    Man, did they ever fix the tech PM's resta glitch? That and the dwindling population made me quit. I kind've hope the expansion rejuvenates the community. This is basically my ideal MMO. I'd probably prefer slightly more rare drops to rare crafting, but otherwise, I really loved everything about it.

What glitch was that again? The one where PM's would never use Resta? They use it now. In fact once they start using it, they won't stop until they've cast enough to refill all their HP, even if you cast Resta right as they pulled out the wand so they're already fully healed. They'll cast Resta about 3 times and then go back to their weapons.

Aoi, I have no idea on the 360 population of PA'ers but the 360 has about double the population PC/PS2 has so I imagine there's still SOME people left.

Gilder on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Wow, really? How the hell did that happen? Are they actually keeping up with the updates on the 360 side this time?

Aoi on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Japanese 360, English 360, and English PC/PS2 versions get the same updates at the same time. Only the JP PC/PS2 servers are ahead of the game. The reason the English population for PC/PS2 dropped was due to people feeling there was a lack of content at the start, it wasn't PSO, and early on we had some stupid money hacking so the economy is kind of screwed up. Most people have millions of meseta because the hackers just gave it out. 360 never had that though. So people over there didn't quit from that and many migrated over from the PC/PS2 side to the 360 side.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Oh yes! They're releasing the 4x3 and 4x4 series this friday. I can finally have my axe robot! I have waited long for this day! Also, we're getting the final story mission. It's supposed to lead-in to the expansion.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    final story mission?

Suppose I'll resub for a month at least to finish those up.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited September 2007
    Wow. Just played the last story mission. It really breaks the tone it sets when it puts you right back in the lobby after finishing but yeah, that's definitely a lead-in to the expansion. There's a TON of story too.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Well it won't let me resubscribe. The button just isn't there. I tried to do it as a "new subscription" and it just sent me back to my PSU account page, lacking the "resubscribe" button.

Not quite sure what to do.

EDIT: Nevermind. Browsing the boards I found a thread where someone said the feature had been removed and you have to do a "new" subscription to renew. Tried it again and it worked fine.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited September 2007
    so uh, yeah; that's a pretty abrupt ending to that mission.

It was cool but
    I always hate it in MMO's and online games when something huge and cataclysmic happens and then once you finish what you're doing you go back to a normal pristine world. I imagine AoI will change things some to follow the story, but come on.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited September 2007
    so uh, yeah; that's a pretty abrupt ending to that mission.

It was cool but
    I always hate it in MMO's and online games when something huge and cataclysmic happens and then once you finish what you're doing you go back to a normal pristine world. I imagine AoI will change things some to follow the story, but come on.

Yeah that bugged me too. Ruined the mood.
    Oh what's that? Guardians HQ has been destroyed? Damn that sucks. Oh yeah mission's over, go back to Guardians HQ. I'm interested in what the main lobby will be now in the expansion.

Gilder on
  • Options
    ParaPara Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Huge news today for anyone who still plays PSU. (GET EVERYONE WHO USED TO PLAY TO COME BACK NOW)

http://www.phantasystaruniverse.com/community_events.php?item=20070927a

event of the gods.

Para on
    Playing League of Legends & Phantasy Star Online 2
  • Options
    ColdbrandColdbrand Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    maybe if the awesome news was they stopped being ridiculous and ceased charging a fee

Coldbrand on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Holy shit it's the Famitsu Cup. Maybe I can finally get that goddamn Me/Quick!

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Oh man I cant wait for this...

omega71 on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This would be such a good time for them to put out some one or two week free accounts...

Try to regain the attention of people who gave up because of lack of content, be a nice gesture for the people who've stuck it out this whole time, maybe actually get some of the prizes.

Frosteey on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Just as a reminder to you all, the 1UP Cup hits tomorrow. If all goes well, everyone should get tons of good items and experience by the time it ends. This is also the only chance you'll get for formal outfits, rappy suit, and I guess another swimsuit if you have a female character.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Man..The event is pretty sweet so far..They also add Halloween stuff for the first time, since we missed it last year..

there are room decos that drop from rappies and a wallpaper from the store..the wallpaper is pretty cool looking
    psu20071020_071015_001.jpg
    psu20071020_071021_002.jpg

rares drop pretty good, but its a specific rare each time for the two extra rounds..

they also are doing this thing where depending on how many Rappy feathers you have either earned or saved you can trade them in for prizes

I got the Rappy Mose which was 50 Rappy Feathers ( I had saved a bunch from each alt and bought some while back before the economy went shitty)
    psu20071021_101111_000.jpg

Its the thing on my chest..you cant see it too well but it floats rappy feathers from your chest..

omega71 on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I hear that the rappy feathers on that armor don't show up on the PS2 though so I can't see it if people are wearing it. Makes me wish my PC wasn't sucky. I'm saving feathers up for the stupid swimsuits and eventually the formal clothing which should be coming soon. Those look nice.

Also I'd really like to know where that club music comes from. It's so terribly cheesy and I'm sure it comes from some old Sega game but I don't know what.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Gilder wrote: »
    I hear that the rappy feathers on that armor don't show up on the PS2 though so I can't see it if people are wearing it. Makes me wish my PC wasn't sucky. I'm saving feathers up for the stupid swimsuits and eventually the formal clothing which should be coming soon. Those look nice.

Also I'd really like to know where that club music comes from. It's so terribly cheesy and I'm sure it comes from some old Sega game but I don't know what.

Its from Space Channel 5 part 2, and its utterly annoying..

I have a few more feathers, which I will be saving for the formal wear and the Rappy Suit respectively since I really dont want the banana hammock too much..

omega71 on