As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GUST] Games. Atelier Ryza is now out, post your opinions here.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Quiotu wrote: »
    no, she's an old book who's avatar LOOKS 16.

I could not be more sick to death of bullshit like this.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Are these all PS4 exclusive?

What is this I don't even.
  • QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    no, she's an old book who's avatar LOOKS 16.

I could not be more sick to death of bullshit like this.

You're not wrong, but it's a bit of a GUST thing. Just putting it out there, the book could've become anything I guess, but decided to be the same gender and age of the MC. Cheer up, at least the MCs aren't 13 anymore like in most of the Arland series.

wbee62u815wj.png
    So Ar Nosurge Plus just hit the Vita, $40 for a digital copy, and $55 to order a physical one.

If you get this, let me know if the localization is fixed in any way. It's what's holding me back at the moment.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    So Ar Nosurge Plus just hit the Vita, $40 for a digital copy, and $55 to order a physical one.

If you get this, let me know if the localization is fixed in any way. It's what's holding me back at the moment.

I haven't played the origional, so I wouldn't be able to judge.

When I was about to start it, Namco's twitter was hinting that they were going to bring over the Vita version so I decided to wait.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    edited July 2015

I haven't played the origional, so I wouldn't be able to judge.

When I was about to start it, Namco's twitter was hinting that they were going to bring over the Vita version so I decided to wait.

Basically look for the voice talent saying the names one way, with the text saying another, then the text for names will change in the next phase.

Like they say COSAL as 'Corsal', and then in Phase 2 changed the spelling from 'COSAL' to 'Korsal'. It got confusing and annoying real quick for me.

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png
    edited July 2015
    I can confirm after booting up Ar Nosurge again that there's been no new updates other than up to 1.03 I believe. 1.01 fixed the NPC dialogue and the issue with getting stuck in Phase 2, 1.03 I think just fixed an issue with purification sites being open before they were supposed to, and fixed the audio issues.

So basically concerning Ar Nosurge Plus, if they fixed the TxBIOS slots, added DLC, made costumes available in NG+ and maybe helped the localization and difficulty, that's a pretty good update. They didn't fix everything though.

Using Delta's Delay Burst skill still has a high chance to make the game lag bad. Considering the small framerate issues Ar Nosurge Plus already has, I wouldn't use that skill too much.

There's also a boss you fight multiple times in the game that shows up in the beginning of Delta's Phase 2. That boss' stats are SWAPPED between the first and second fight, meaning the boss is unreasonably difficult when you first fight it.

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png
    Full Atelier Sophie trailer GO!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVOYAKdbHl0

Combat looks pretty similar, the grid based imagination system for alchemy looks rather interesting. We got three party members shown off, with the only male being some fat dude. Hopefully more hunky men for you ladies soon.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    God I hope so ;_; .

Though, I have a feeling this particular entry in the series is gonna go full shounen-manga-style and not have any cute guys for fear that male players may feel threatened.

Sidenote- I really don't like Sophie's second outfit. That pale yellow really doesn't go well with her coloring very much.

Lovely on
    sig.gif
  • TakelTakel Registered User regular
    I find it amusing that a certain magical tome is playing a magical alchemical book...

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Lovely wrote: »
    God I hope so ;_; .

Though, I have a feeling this particular entry in the series is gonna go full shounen-manga-style and not have any cute guys for fear that male players may feel threatened.

That's some scary hyperbolic narrative to draw up from a single trailer. Like, that goes beyond the level of moderate concern to straight up pre-blaming demographics for possible futures that haven't even happened yet.

Although, I will say that that's actually not the most rabidly bizarre I've seen the Atelier fandom get. I recall western fans claiming the low sales of Escha/Logy in Japan were because Gust dared to have a male protagonist defacing their cute girl protagonist game series. :bzz:

I've actually I've never found any of the female characters in any of the Atelier games(not counting Mana Khemia) to be particularly interesting or attractive, myself. The protagonists are cute in a "bunny rabbit" sort of way, but the rest of the character designs are...eh. It's not until the Ayesha trilogy that they started to get particularly unique. I like Shallote though because I'm a bit into those Chie-tomboy types. I also love Marion/Rosemia because goth witch is yes.

The characters I actually prefer tend to be the male designs, since a lot of them tend to be designed very unique and classy and you can't beat going into battle with Gio's swag. Keith's a dick but he has the same thing going on. And Reyfer yes, not enough cowboy swag in my animu. And Sterk only gets more and more awesome with each game holy shit.

That being said, I sort of like the new guy's design, I liked his look at first(big dude but still rather classy looking) but looking at him more closely in stills, I have certain immediate concerns. First and foremost I have to mention the general anime philosophy that if there is an overweight character in anime, it means it has to be rife with fat jokes and weight commentary. And because they're overweight, it of course means they automatically have to be drawn at the severe end of the aesthetic spectrum compared to the idealized beauty of the thin characters.

That being said, the fact that the video shows him with the overweight anime character design of having a one-size-too-small overshirt barely being held on by severely strained buttons(not to mention one of his special attacks apparently being whipping out a bowl of food) is a pretty big red flag that they might go down this road in this game. Considering what they're also doing with Plachta, my low-brow senses are tingling a bit.

Donnicton on
    edited July 2015
    Donnicton wrote: »

That being said, the fact that the video shows him with the overweight anime character design of having a one-size-too-small overshirt barely being held on by severely strained buttons(not to mention one of his special attacks apparently being whipping out a bowl of food) is a pretty big red flag that they might go down this road in this game. Considering what they're also doing with Plachta, my low-brow senses are tingling a bit.

There's been many people considering that the fat dude will be the 'transformation guy' in the trilogy as time goes on. He's the fat guy now, who will trim up by the second game, who will be an awesome character by the third. I suppose you can think him along the lines of Esty Dee, who started as a mission point to end as the axe girl.

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png
    God I hope so ;_; .

That's some scary hyperbolic narrative to draw up from a single trailer. Like, that goes beyond the level of moderate concern to straight up pre-blaming demographics for possible futures that haven't even happened yet.

Oh come on. You know I'm not talking about JUST this trailer. I'm saying I'm worried it's going to follow bad-shounen-manga tropes because, so far, many of the illustrations we've seen of the game so far consist of ass and crotch shots of book girl. Forgive me for that not instilling a bunch of faith in me for the direction the game promo team seems to want to convey.

So three girls, one of which is fanservicey as hell and the other getting a costume change that I... I'm not sure if it's supposed to be sexy, so I'll give that a pass (it's actually just kinda goofy*.) And then the first male character they introduce is a chubby "Best friend" character.
    So. yeah. I worry.

Though the main reason I feel grumpy about this is that I thought I had finally found a recent series in anime style that didn't lean hard on the ole fan-service aspect, and I was excited, and then... this comes along. But hey, who knows, maybe I'm jumping the gun! Maybe it's just promo stuff and the game itself will be super awesome and not uh... "not-for-me."

On the bright side, at least there's no underboob (looking at you new Tales game!)

And hey, maybe chubbie kid will actually be a really nice guy and not have an annoying " haha, typical fat person" voice. ... that would be cool....
    Ah! By the way, that's not a bowl of food that he has, apparently he's an herbalist, so that's a bowl of mixed plants and herbs.

*about Sophie's costume change. Really hope that second outfit is just an optional costume. Or will at least have color options. ....and different stockings. Design-wise it just... it's not appealing to me!

Moving on to people saying Logy is the reason Escha and Logy didn't sell all that great:
    Yeah, I keep on hearing people say that, and it never makes sense to me. I mean... the other games had cute/cool guys (Sterk, Ixel). Why would Logy scare people off? Just cause he's on the cover? That doesn't make sense.

.....................and dammit. All this typing about Atelier's make me want to buy Meruru now. (the next game on my list o' Atelier games to buy!)

sig.gif
    I would find it a shame if the Atelier series became Gust's new pervy standard depending on the fate of the Exa Pico universe. I doubt it's happening because Atelier has a legacy they would be foolish to tarnish now (though be honest, the pervy swimsuits in nearly every game count, DLC or not). The new series seems much more combat heavy, so I can't see that being the replacement, but it would be nice for Gust to have a second yearly series to look forward to. Even if Exa Pico was doing awesome, there's too much production in those to make them yearly, and currently I'm not even sure where the series stands right now.

Also, am I the only one that hopes we get better names for the new series. Land of No Night... we can do better. Land of Endless Sun, The Land That Night Forgot, hell be cute about the game's origins and call it Land of the Rising Sun.

wbee62u815wj.png
    edited July 2015
    God I hope so ;_; .

Oh come on. You know I'm not talking about JUST this trailer. I'm saying I'm worried it's going to follow bad-shounen-manga tropes because, so far, many of the illustrations we've seen of the game so far consist of ass and crotch shots of book girl. Forgive me for that not instilling a bunch of faith in me for the direction the game promo team seems to want to convey.

So three girls, one of which is fanservicey as hell and the other getting a costume change that I... I'm not sure if it's supposed to be sexy, so I'll give that a pass (it's actually just kinda goofy*.) And then the first male character they introduce is a chubby "Best friend" character.
    So. yeah. I worry.

Though the main reason I feel grumpy about this is that I thought I had finally found a recent series in anime style that didn't lean hard on the ole fan-service aspect, and I was excited, and then... this comes along. But hey, who knows, maybe I'm jumping the gun! Maybe it's just promo stuff and the game itself will be super awesome and not uh... "not-for-me."

On the bright side, at least there's no underboob (looking at you new Tales game!)

And hey, maybe chubbie kid will actually be a really nice guy and not have an annoying " haha, typical fat person" voice. ... that would be cool....
    Ah! By the way, that's not a bowl of food that he has, apparently he's an herbalist, so that's a bowl of mixed plants and herbs.

*about Sophie's costume change. Really hope that second outfit is just an optional costume. Or will at least have color options. ....and different stockings. Design-wise it just... it's not appealing to me!

Moving on to people saying Logy is the reason Escha and Logy didn't sell all that great:
    Yeah, I keep on hearing people say that, and it never makes sense to me. I mean... the other games had cute/cool guys (Sterk, Ixel). Why would Logy scare people off? Just cause he's on the cover? That doesn't make sense.

.....................and dammit. All this typing about Atelier's make me want to buy Meruru now. (the next game on my list o' Atelier games to buy!)

Eh, the costumes in the previous games are astonishingly shameless even compared to what Plachta wears. They are however costumes and not default attire, so if her attire becomes a running focus of the game i.e. Miranda Lawson's ass, or they start dressing other characters this way then I'll be somewhat concerned. Otherwise I don't see it as especially out there aside from it being a default costume. As far as the new chubby dude comes in, I still don't see any inherent issues or hidden messages just by virtue of including him in the game - the only concern I have is that as mentioned before, the Japanese only tend to include chubby characters in anime as "hey, everyone! there's a fat person in our idealized beauty simulator! let's make fun of them!" devices.

Until I see more gameplay info, right now I'm willing to chalk the promo art up to just a low-brow otaku-oriented way to hype up a game that has been somewhat dwindling in popularity because of a marked lack of gameplay innovation across the last like four or five games, and the developer team can't seem to figure that out. (not, of course, because one title since Iris was desecrated by a male lead. :rotate: ) The new crafting system is a good effort, but it could really use more. I'd even go so far as to say they haven't tried really to innovate between console Atelier titles since the Iris series - the last two trilogies mainly coasted on their pretty aesthetics and likable characters.

That aside, underboob? You haven't seen the full on sideboob simulator that is Land of No Night yet then. Let's just say they find whole new ways to manage to run them 1080p HD grayfix to their creepiest limits.

Donnicton on
    With the Atelier games, I'd go so far as to say that the last three games have steadily gotten worse in the alchemy department. Ayesha was the last one I used where I really felt like there were a lot of options, and the options grew as you got better. Since then they seem to be interested in either stacking base skills or pushing element affinities, but then holding them back with level locked skills or making elements moot by having too many miracle ingredients with all affinities. Ayesha was the last time I truly had to WORK to alchemize equipment I wanted and studied all the skills available.

I don't mind if they tone down the schedule system, but at the least make the part of gameplay you're selling your game off of interesting enough to carry the game forward. The combat's better by several factors, but it doesn't mean they get to slack off on other parts.

wbee62u815wj.png

That aside, underboob? You haven't seen the full on sideboob simulator that is Land of No Night yet then. Let's just say they find whole new ways to manage to run them 1080p HD grayfix to their creepiest limits.

...At the risk of sounding creepy myself, I'm actually fine with sideboob.
    I don't like underboob for practical reasons. An action woman, especially one with larger boobs, wouldn't be able to MOVE much without her boobs immediately popping out! It makes no sense! It makes no sense!

I'm also bothered by female characters who wear high heels or go barefoot everywhere. THAT WOULD HURT! THAT WOULD HURT SO MUCH!

sig.gif
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    What if the heels were actually guns?

Wouldn't that blow their own legs off 0_0 ?

sig.gif
    Wouldn't that blow their own legs off 0_0 ?

I take it you've not played the Bayonetta games. :(

Uh. They're not really my thing. Sorry ^^; .

sig.gif

I don't like underboob for practical reasons. An action woman, especially one with larger boobs, wouldn't be able to MOVE much without her boobs immediately popping out! It makes no sense! It makes no sense!

Really effective breast tape. :P

Which Tales character is this specifically though? I've only played a couple of Tales games since only a few of them are...actually good.

• SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular

Which Tales character is this specifically though? I've only played a couple of Tales games since only a few of them are...actually good.

The main character of Bersaria, the Tales game after Zillia, has a particularly ineffective underboob-showing top on. It's distracting not in the "ooh sexy" way but the "how the HELL?" way.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
    edited July 2015

The main character of Bersaria, the Tales game after Zillia, has a particularly ineffective underboob-showing top on. It's distracting not in the "ooh sexy" way but the "how the HELL?" way.

Eh, getting picky about what kind of physics work and what doesn't in the land of animu isn't a thing I even bother with anymore. They aren't concepts that can be understood by us muggles in the regularverse.

Gix70PD.png

Donnicton on
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    But... it's also ugly.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
    Whew, Ar NoSurge Plus completed on Veteran after 65 hours. The game turned out to be way longer than I thought it would be - I thought I was a large portion through it when I stopped playing on the PS3 version - nope, surprise, 35 more hours!

The latter third of the game explains a lot of why some of the characters are acting the way they are(i.e. Prim), and the music vs the end boss was amazing. How they handled Zill was anticlimactic though. Frame rate and occasional proofreading issues aside, the game was solid.

It makes me still want more though, so for lack of anything else I may just work on AT3 and actually go through the whole thing this time. Maybe put it on easy so I don't have to deal with the combat system more than I have to.

Also, GUST has an Ar NoSurge Plus survey up, though not sure how much longer. Telling them to bring over Escha/Logy Plus next goes without saying. http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/form/arnosurge-p_na

edited July 2015
    Whew, Ar NoSurge Plus completed on Veteran after 65 hours. The game turned out to be way longer than I thought it would be - I thought I was a large portion through it when I stopped playing on the PS3 version - nope, surprise, 35 more hours!

The latter third of the game explains a lot of why some of the characters are acting the way they are(i.e. Prim), and the music vs the end boss was amazing. How they handled Zill was anticlimactic though. Frame rate and occasional proofreading issues aside, the game was solid.

It makes me still want more though, so for lack of anything else I may just work on AT3 and actually go through the whole thing this time. Maybe put it on easy so I don't have to deal with the combat system more than I have to.

Also, GUST has an Ar NoSurge Plus survey up, though not sure how much longer. Telling them to bring over Escha/Logy Plus next goes without saying. http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/form/arnosurge-p_na

The one thing I will say about AT3 if you plan to play it, is if you want to try and get all the endings... use a guide. There's a streamlined way to see all the endings that takes way less time if done properly. It doesn't take long to do, as AT3 is probably the shortest game in the series at probably 30-35 hrs.

As for the survey... I'd write it up, but it's asking me about Ar Nosurge Plus. I feel obliged to beat it first before I give them my honest opinion about the game's parts. The Exa Pico games especially have an odd tendency to feel like much different games at the beginning and at the end.

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png
    Gonna link all 4 movie files for the new Land Of No Night game coming out in the future. Peruse them at your leisure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GP8Q5J5NxM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Q3FHkYdeg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wAQh8lsumA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47ln4v-q7Rs

wbee62u815wj.png
    http://www.siliconera.com/2015/09/17/land-of-no-night-is-headed-westward-in-2016-for-playstation-4/
    Koei Tecmo announced this morning on Twitter that Yoru no Nai Kuni (working title) or Land of No Night is headed westward in 2016 for PlayStation 4.

Land of No Night is releasing in Japan on October 1, 2015 for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, and PlayStation Vita. Koei Tecmo didn’t mention the PS3 or Vita versions in their announcement.

Not a big surprise, though the lack of current plans to localize the Vita version have caused some grumbling in the fanbase which KT has acknowledged.

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/09/17/land-of-no-night-is-headed-westward-in-2016-for-playstation-4/
    Koei Tecmo announced this morning on Twitter that Yoru no Nai Kuni (working title) or Land of No Night is headed westward in 2016 for PlayStation 4.

Land of No Night is releasing in Japan on October 1, 2015 for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, and PlayStation Vita. Koei Tecmo didn’t mention the PS3 or Vita versions in their announcement.

Not a big surprise, though the lack of current plans to localize the Vita version have caused some grumbling in the fanbase which KT has acknowledged.

I'd be more concerned with this if every Gust game didn't have a Plus version come out on Vita a year later, and the West will probably get that instead.

wbee62u815wj.png
    So hey. Guess who's showing up in Atelier Sophie?

qnyZgW5.jpg

We Dusk Quadrilogy now.

Also,

Keep in mind this is the original three games released as a three game collection. For some reason they used the original Rorona and not Rorona Plus in this collection.

Keep in mind this is the original three games released as a three game collection. For some reason they used the original Rorona and not Rorona Plus in this collection.

It's simple. NISA is putting out the trilogy.

Koei Tecmo put out Rorona Plus.

edited October 2015

qnyZgW5.jpg

We Dusk Quadrilogy now.

Nah, I heard it's more like a different universe Logy. Different background/story. (like Pamela and Hagel)

Also here's his new model and his artwork:

Lovely on
    sig.gif

qnyZgW5.jpg

We Dusk Quadrilogy now.

Nah, I heard it's more like a different universe Logy. Different background/story. (like Pamela and Hagel)

Also here's his new model and his artwork:

Gust is going a little bonkers on the alternate reality theme, especially after Ar NoSurge. If Land of No Night (still need an official title, because that one's dreadful) turns out to be an alternate reality of one of their other two properties, I will officially designate Gust as crazypants.

wbee62u815wj.png
    edited October 2015
    So stealing this from the Vita board.

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/10/22/land-of-no-night-headed-westward-as-nights-of-azure-with-atelier-escha-logy-plus/

So release date for Eschatology+ is January 20th in Europe, and Land of No Night is also verified to get to Europe on April 4th. It's also getting the name changed to Nights of Azure, which is a little cliche but I'll take it over the raw translation.

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png
    Well, this is cool. A doujin cd of music inspired by the Hymnos music of the ar tonelico and ar nosurge games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSVpzVPgkdo

Well, this is cool. A doujin cd of music inspired by the Hymnos music of the ar tonelico and ar nosurge games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSVpzVPgkdo

Pretty sweet. It's by no means the first though. In fact, one was just made in the States and released not too long ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zki_URVawXg

wbee62u815wj.png
    So the official date of Nights of Azure coming to the states is March 29th. Here's the announcement trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6mHNCzrxJ0

Apparently they're only bringing the PS4 version out of Japan, which sucks. But on the bright side, they are giving it a physical release, which isn't guaranteed.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • TakelTakel Registered User regular
    PS4/Vita comparisons for Atelier Sophie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWxOwXFKhSY

There's a fully expected and noticeable decrease in resolution for the Vita version, and lower frame rates. Whether or not the lower resolution will actually be noticeable on the Vita's smaller screen is going to be interesting.

Steam | PSN: MystLansfeld | 3DS: 4656-6210-1377 | FFXIV: Lavinia Lansfeld