As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Rocket League]: PA Rocket Society on Friday Nights

• BranniganSeppBranniganSepp Swiss Burrito Enthusiast PSN: ExMaloBonumRegistered User regular
    I'm slowly getting the hang of aerial hits. Can't wait to be good enough to nail those and bicycle hits more consistently.

Rocket League is so damn good. It really nails the simple elegance I've been missing in recent years of online multiplayer. No bloat, easy to get started, hard to master, dynamic and eversurprising, fun physics. A personal GotY contender for sure.

Now that the matchmaking works as intended, I can't stop playing. So much fun!

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    I keep imagining this world that's like Mad Max/Thunderdome, where Rocket League is a real sport

• a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Picked it up on the PC and played it for a few hours. Now I'll have to update my PS Plus account to get it on the PS4 so the family can join in. Oh, and a third controller, at least.

Season Mode works in splitscreen, right? Should make for some nice family time.

Number One Tricky
  • DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I need this game to support actual leagues and teams.

I am so in love with it.
    ESL and MLG already picked it up along with some smaller esports leagues. Spectator mode is coming later this month so people can start properly casting matches.

• shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    I think my single favorite thing about this game (and I love a LOT about it) is the match length. In other competitive online multiplayer games (I'm looking at you, LOL) if you're stuck with terrible teammates and/or ragers you have to put up with them for at least 15-20 minutes. Here even if things are awful (and I haven't seen anybody say anything derogatory to anyone yet in 15+ hours of play), you only have to hold out for five minutes before you can start fresh.

Of course the short games have a downside - the "just one more game, it's only 5 minutes" instinct is keeping me up way too late.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Can ps4 play with PC players yet? I know they advertised that...

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    I find myself spending a lot of time on Defense, and it seems to help a lot. Except then you still get the people who basically think that the point of the game is just to hit the ball, and use all their boost to set the opponent up with a perfect shot, when it was an easy clear.

• FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2015

When you do match making the game doesn't care what platform you are on, you cannot however do custom groups/games with people on PC. This is at least how I understand it. I may be totally wrong.

edit: Quick searching makes me thing I am, it isn't in yet apparently?

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular

Not sure! It was definitely a launch feature though.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    At the moment I'm told that PC and PS4 players can get matched together, but they can't join parties and then enter a game together.

• MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    I set up a google spreadsheet so we can keep track of gamertags on Steam and PSN for Rocket League.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10R98u9z8GDEPJ2YpvcSB_Qgwpq9J94jz5VLSk_MepGQ/edit?usp=sharing

There's a tab in there for PSN and one for Steam

Any chance you could add this to the op @Qanamil ?

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Nice Muffin, added myself.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    edited July 2015
    So I played a couple of team games with @Beef Avenger and two others who I don't know their PA names (or if they are on PA).

I think I'm finally getting the hang of this aerial business:

https://youtu.be/lgspu_SSPnU

https://youtu.be/A7kNPmfAqzo

Excuse the weirdness in the videos. The first one I recorded at a quarter speed from the replay then sped back up in iMovie, so that's why the audio sounds higher pitched. Second one I forgot to hide the replay info bar at the bottom so I cropped it, but obviously the scoreboard looks really large for the clip.

Muffinatron on
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    So I played a couple of team games with @Beef Avenger and two others who I don't know their PA names (or if they are on PA).

I think I'm finally getting the hang of this aerial business:

Excuse the weirdness in the videos. The first one I recorded at a quarter speed from the replay then sped back up in iMovie, so that's why the audio sounds higher pitched. Second one I forgot to hide the replay info bar at the bottom so I clipped it, but obviously the scoreboard looks really large for the clip.

That was @Uriel and @David_T playing with us, from over in SE++. Some really fun games

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    I set up a google spreadsheet so we can keep track of gamertags on Steam and PSN for Rocket League.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10R98u9z8GDEPJ2YpvcSB_Qgwpq9J94jz5VLSk_MepGQ/edit?usp=sharing

There's a tab in there for PSN and one for Steam

Any chance you could add this to the op @Qanamil ?

Done! Thanks Holy!

• RendRend Registered User regular
    This.
    Freaking.
    Game.

Around 5pm EST I'm going to start up a Rocket League chat party and anybody that wants to jump in just do so and we'll get some games going.

Alternatively anybody that wants to start it beforehand by all means do so, I think it will help to get games together if there's an easily found and entered group rather than having to actually go person by person.

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Rend wrote: »
    This.
    Freaking.
    Game.

It's got me good. Like heroin

crimsoncoyote on
    This.
    Freaking.
    Game.

I feel like heroin wouldn't be quite so hard on my heart

Qanamil wrote: »
    Around 5pm EST I'm going to start up a Rocket League chat party and anybody that wants to jump in just do so and we'll get some games going.

Alternatively anybody that wants to start it beforehand by all means do so, I think it will help to get games together if there's an easily found and entered group rather than having to actually go person by person.

How do groups work? Or do you mean like a steam group, or what?

How do groups work? Or do you mean like a steam group, or what?

Oh, I meant a chat in PSN, sorry!

On steam, it's easy to make a group (PA Rocket League for instance) and then everybody join up. I imagine just using the standard PA group to see who's in the game might work too.

I keep forgetting that it's dual-platform.

This.
    Freaking.
    Game.

I feel like heroin wouldn't be quite so hard on my heart

It certainly wouldn't be as hard on my right index finger. I may play with KBAM over the weekend just to give my poor abused trigger finger a break.

Real talk: how often do you change the appearance of your cars? At first I was pretty sure that I was just going to pick a look I liked and stick with it, but I find myself getting superstitious about it - now any time I have a streak of 3-4 bad games it's time for a makeover.

I keep the gold nugget beta antenna on because I rarely see them, but I'll switch hats a little superstitiously.

I'm eating dinner right now, but I am totally up for this. I'll be online as soon as I'm finished.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I got this on PS Plus but haven't played yet. I've watched an awful lot of it though, and it just seems so fun. Pure, awesome fun. I love that games like this are getting made.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Kronovi doing some tourney play:

Dirtyboy on
    This game best game.

Steam ID
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Lost to a group of text shit-talkers while I was teamed with no-voice pubbies. We immediately demanded a rematch without any coordination. First scramble in the rematch? I blast it into their net.

Me and two randoms crushed the shit-talkers so hard they rage-quit. Which is a shame, because I wanted to inform them of their scrublord status in the postmatch.

This game is really good, guys.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • dr pigletdr piglet Registered User regular
    So how do we get together on PC? I don't see any guild/clan set ups yet, will they be added? I'm not great, but it seems like this would be more fun playing with others with beer + Vent.

steam_sig.png
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    This game is amazing. Getting the winning goal with less than 10 seconds left is just... oh man, it's hard to describe with words.

Basically, it feels like this
    https://youtu.be/UppumD1RBO0

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    That moment in a game with friends when the ball suddenly starts heading towards your goal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl0jg8rFFlw

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    You called?

Story time: From the time I was around 5 to around 16, I played soccer. Not necessarily well but I still played for a long time, showing up twice a week for practice, switching clubs to join my friends from school. Matches were scheduled for the weekends and all over the place. One time for a match, which I wasn't even supposed to play, I got a frantic phone call about how only eight guys had shown up and the pitch was right next to a train-station, so could I make it there by, max, twenty minutes past the start of the game? I managed to make the kickoff, literally changing clothes on the sidelines as the game started.

As I said, I went to the same club as some of my friends from school. This story is actually about one of them. He was one of the eight who showed up and with ten minutes or so left of this game, that we were losing handily not least because it was 10 v. 11, the other team had literally lent us one of their players, the ball was kicked very, very high up in the air. And it was fixed to come down right in front of my friend. For reasons not even he could later explain, he decided to take both hands and place the thumbs on the side of the forehead, spreading his fingers out in a manner that looked like moose horns. When the ball dropped, rather than head the ball, my friend bent at the waist, fanning the ball with head and hands. He was immediately called for a hand ball. To this day, I have no idea what he was trying to do.

This is what I think about every time I sit under a high bouncer in Rocket League. My friends weird moose-hands.

euj90n71sojo.png
    Over on reddit, a Psyonix dev addressed 'the future of rocket league':
    There are not going to be power-ups added to the game. We're not going to change balance, add stats, change physics, etc. We have a good formula and there are already infinite ways to make the game even better without changing core gameplay. That answer may have been based on the possibility of adding mutators that allow private matches to change things up for a single match just to mix things up but absolutely not for regular gameplay.

Over on reddit, a Psyonix dev addressed 'the future of rocket league':
    There are not going to be power-ups added to the game. We're not going to change balance, add stats, change physics, etc. We have a good formula and there are already infinite ways to make the game even better without changing core gameplay. That answer may have been based on the possibility of adding mutators that allow private matches to change things up for a single match just to mix things up but absolutely not for regular gameplay.

The idea someone suggested in that thread of exhibition matches with friends with zero gravity and 100% booster sounds amazing.

Unfortunately I've yet to see enough PA'ers online at once for some big in house games, which I think would be a ton of fun. Maybe we should try and pre set a time when a bunch of folks can play to see if we can make it happen

Steam ID
  • sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Picked up the game on Steam last night after watching a few friends stream it. Haven't been able to put much time in as of yet, but I can see this being my new jam.

Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
  • RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I'm having some trouble figuring out how to do the flying boost and aerials, I've done the tutorials but even then when I'm trying to jump and boost to hit the ball up in the air I won't fly high enough and my car just does 20 flips until it crashes to the ground. I just can't any air time fair and high enough to do anything with it. In matches I often fly under the ball as well as I try to shoot it in to the goal. Am I missing something or doing something in the wrong order?

Also always missing the ball by inches and not getting the ball and ending a match with 0 points at all is frustrating.

Ravelle on
    D083uBC.jpg
    edited July 2015
    gotta be delicate with the control stick. Jump up and rotate to have your rockets vertical

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID