As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Computer Build Thread] If you build it... we will awesome

• AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    eelektrik wrote: »
    I just looked at Alecthar's build and noticed it checks off all the boxes I want and I may totally copy that.

I mean, my build's rather outlandish, but intentionally so. I you wanted to do something relatively reasonable, go with Skylake when it comes out in a month. The unlocked HT-less quad core, per usual.

If you think you might really want an M1, though, try to buy it well in advance of the rest of your build. Basically they sell the cases until the production run is out, so depending on when you decide to buy, it might not be available at the time. Also, they ship directly from the manufacturer in Taiwan, 2 shipments a month, so depending on when you order and how long it takes, you might wait a few weeks for it to come through. For what it's worth, mine have been delivered to Germany, and each took about a month to make it to me.

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    So what does Skylake have going for it over the Haswell chips out now?

(She/Her)
  • a nu starta nu start Registered User regular
    Lower power consumption, better integrated graphics. Seems likely that it's not drastically faster than anything that's already out.

Number One Tricky
  • AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    a nu start wrote: »
    Lower power consumption, better integrated graphics. Seems likely that it's not drastically faster than anything that's already out.

DDR4 support.

• HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    Alecthar wrote: »
    Okay folks, I'm about to pull the trigger on this insanity, let me know what you think:

Case: NCase M1 v3 - God it's pretty
    PSU: Silverstone SX600-G - I considered the 500W SFX-L model, but I'd rather deal with more noise and have the extra room.
    CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K - Originally I was going with the 5930K, but paying an additional $200.00 for 12 PCI-E lanes I can't use makes no sense.
    CPU Cooling: Corsair H105 - Based on my research and some rough measurements, this should match my Asetek Narrow ILM brackets, and fit inside the M1 if installed carefully.
    Motherboard: ASRock X-99E-ITX/ac - ITX LGA 2011-v3 was not a problem that needed solving, but ASRock apparently wasn't paying any attention to that. Good on 'em.
    GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti 6GB SC - This is an astonishing card. I love it more than I love most members of my extended family.
    Memory: 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair 2400 DDR4 - I'm assuming we'll see 16GB DIMMs (in 64GB quad channel kits that I can overpay for and only use half of) before too long, but I doubt 16GB will be a limiting factor.
    SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB (M.2 Form Factor) - I considered opting for a native PCI-E/NVME M.2 drive, but in comparable capacities you're talking about paying like 100% more, and the benefits don't justify that cost for my usage.

I'll be breaking out the Gentle Typhoon AP-15s for this build, and I'll be purchasing some custom sleeved cables for the PSU as soon as I put together some measurements on the right lengths for them. I'm hoping for this to be my coolest build yet.

Why the eVGA offering specifically? For the blower-style cooler?

The Gigabyte G1 Gaming is in stock most places now, is only $40 more, and seems to be among the better air-cooled options for a 980 Ti.

But a blower card is potentially better for a Mini-ITX build.

• HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    Though I suppose getting the reference eVGA card meow and waiting for their 980 Ti CLC upgrade kits to be back in stock is also an option. Those kits only work with reference PCBs.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    If I plug the new HDD in, the computer won't post. Barely switches on.

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHSHA

I thought it had to be a problem with the wall adapter or something, or a more cascading failure. Nope. Plug cable in, computer won't post. Unplug it, computer will post.

Is there a possibility that the entire problem is stemming from the new, extravagantly expensive power supply they sold me needing to be RMA'd? Maybe it's not sending enough juice to the processor? Or something?

Tube, what's the brand and model of the power supply they sold you?

I've gone back and read all your posts in this thread to refresh in my head the details of your journey. You said you brought the PC into the shop to have them recase your PC, while also swapping the motherboard, CPU cooler (but not the CPU itself) and the PSU. What was wrong originally that you needed to have that stuff done?

There's definitely a physical problem at work here, or a BIOS setting. Windows is not the issue because your multiple clean Windows installs have all been for shit.

I'm going to send you a PM in a minute here, hang on.

Ok, I'll say the problems since the beginning

Step 1. Computer is in the UK. Computer runs fine.
    Step 2. Computer is shipped to Canada. Case is all busted, and computer runs way too hot. Fan is clearly not getting the job done, case needs to be replaced.
    Step 3. Buy new case, liquid cooler and video card (didn't need one, but why not, since the case is open), move all stuff to to new case
    Step 4. Build complete (sans video card). Computer gets into Windows, stalls and then blue screens
    Step 5. Computer stops booting, asks for boot disk to be installed. Presumably Windows corrupted
    Step 6. Without anything changing between stages, computer stops posting
    Step 7. Take PC into shop. Their diagnosis
    Cooler improperly installed, must be changed
    Power supply insufficient for new videocard
    Motherboard dead
    They charge me for a new power supply and motherboard and redo the whole build
    Step 8. Shop tells me the PC "must have a virus" and try to sell me McAffee. Also tell me that the cooler was originally installed properly and that they put it back where it was. Still attempt to charge for this. Claim that all hardware has been tested and is fine. "Must be software complaint"
    Step 9. Take computer home. Boots, but is unusably slow. Windows key take ten seconds to open start menu
    Step 10. Refresh and renew windows. No change, but at least all my data is gone!
    Step 11. Hard reinstall of windows. No change. Install all graphics card and cooler drivers, just in case. No change.
    Step 12. Memtest. No errors.
    Step 13. Borrow HDD, plug it in. Computer won't post.

• DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    sounds like they gave you a bum mobo to me.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Yeah, there's really nothing else I can think of that could cause those kinds of problems all at once. Insufficient power supply wouldn't make windows slow, it would just keep the computer from working at all or cause intermittent power problems. Processor problems would be significantly more severe than issues in Windows and would probably not pass memtest (excepting processor cache errors, but those cause bluescreens with specific errors messages and not much else.) It's not isolated to one specific hard drive, so that's not it either.

That really only leaves the mainboard.

• tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Anyone know a good exorcist in Montreal?

Tube, have you ever tried setting the BIOS to factory settings?

I guess the motherboard must be the issue, but I have no clue how to fix it. Do you have a current and old list of parts?

steam_sig.png
  • Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to take a day in Montreal but I'm only a couple hours away in Ottawa, @Tube

I have an old motherboard with an E8400 Core2Duo and 4 GBs of ram you can have if you want. Not sure if that's worth the trip though.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
    You guys

You guys

Early days, I don't want to jinx it

I think @rius fixed my computer

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    He's a witch!

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    This must be what it felt like to be an Iraqi when Saddam was killed

He's a witch!

Witches are female. I prefer to call myself a sorcerer.

So what was the problem?!

steam_sig.png
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    I'm going to guess some sort of wrong setting for the sata ports.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
    edited July 2015
    Things We Did:

Reset BIOS to Optimized Defaults (ASUS' fancy term for... Defaults)
    Switch SATA mode to AHCI
    Set memory speed correctly to 1600mhz and pulled one stick, leaving the remaining two in proper dual channel configuration
    Turned up the juice on the cpu_fan header to Full, giving the H100i GTX cooler all the precious energy it wants
    Checked that various shits were plugged in correctly (motherboard 4-pin power, USB header for the H100i, etc)
    Entered Win8.1 setup and deleted all partitions from the SSD, clearing it out and letting Windows do its thing.

I had some concerns that the damage from shipping might have dislodged the old cooler. The machine was powered on several times before the new cooler was purchased and installed, and I was worried this might have caused thermal damage. Not entirely convinced we're out of those woods yet, but if it's running fine now then TubeCPU might be ok.

No idea why it wouldn't POST with the HDD plugged in. The motherboard they sold him is a pretty bare-bones micro board, and the manual says that "Intel PCH SATA Controllers #0 and #1" share IRQ Assignment D. I... really don't know what the fuck it's talking about there. Like, I understand all the words they're using, it's the "assignment D" that throws me.

I do know that the board has six SATA ports, and a whopping one of them is 6gb/s. And it's one of the two that's covered by the 980 ti. /facepalm

Rius on
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    I do know that the board has six SATA ports, and a whopping one of them is 6gb/s. And it's one of the two that's covered by the 980 ti. /facepalm

...the fuck??

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
    Sucks about the SATA port. Maybe a 90° cable would work?

steam_sig.png
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Sucks about the SATA port. Maybe a 90° cable would work?

I think there'd be enough clearance under the card, but it'd need to be taken out and reseated. Fuck that noise right now.

• FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    well glad it all seems to be mostly working now.

but boy that shop you took it to seems to be shit at their jobs.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
    Yeah, holy fucking shit. Way to mess up the bios so badly that the entire PC fails.

Another note about this sweet, sweet motherboard they sent me: I can't seat or unseat the RAM without removing the graphics card first. To take that one stick out I had to reach in with the stylus from my 3DS.

Tube wrote: »
    Another note about this sweet, sweet motherboard they sent me: I can't seat or unseat the RAM without removing the graphics card first. To take that one stick out I had to reach in with the stylus from my 3DS.

See, you couldn't have gotten your RAM out if you had a PSP. Nintendo wins again!
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Alecthar wrote: »
    Okay folks, I'm about to pull the trigger on this insanity, let me know what you think:

Case: NCase M1 v3 - God it's pretty
    PSU: Silverstone SX600-G - I considered the 500W SFX-L model, but I'd rather deal with more noise and have the extra room.
    CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K - Originally I was going with the 5930K, but paying an additional $200.00 for 12 PCI-E lanes I can't use makes no sense.
    CPU Cooling: Corsair H105 - Based on my research and some rough measurements, this should match my Asetek Narrow ILM brackets, and fit inside the M1 if installed carefully.
    Motherboard: ASRock X-99E-ITX/ac - ITX LGA 2011-v3 was not a problem that needed solving, but ASRock apparently wasn't paying any attention to that. Good on 'em.
    GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti 6GB SC - This is an astonishing card. I love it more than I love most members of my extended family.
    Memory: 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair 2400 DDR4 - I'm assuming we'll see 16GB DIMMs (in 64GB quad channel kits that I can overpay for and only use half of) before too long, but I doubt 16GB will be a limiting factor.
    SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB (M.2 Form Factor) - I considered opting for a native PCI-E/NVME M.2 drive, but in comparable capacities you're talking about paying like 100% more, and the benefits don't justify that cost for my usage.

I'll be breaking out the Gentle Typhoon AP-15s for this build, and I'll be purchasing some custom sleeved cables for the PSU as soon as I put together some measurements on the right lengths for them. I'm hoping for this to be my coolest build yet.

Why the eVGA offering specifically? For the blower-style cooler?

The Gigabyte G1 Gaming is in stock most places now, is only $40 more, and seems to be among the better air-cooled options for a 980 Ti.

But a blower card is potentially better for a Mini-ITX build.

Yeah, externally exhausting cards are generally preferred for the M1. Ambient air temp in the case is higher than you might generally find with how sandwiched together everything is. The fans right below the cards help, but the blower cards generally stay cooler regardless from what I've heard. Also, I've bought several EVGA cards and have always liked them, and I tend to like the reference/blower designs better anyway.

The reference cooler for the current run of Nvidia cards is sexy, sexy, sexy. Shame they're always upside down, though.

In related news, this new GTX 980 has a backplate. And it's awesome. And I can never have a card without one again.

Once you go backplate you never go .... backplate :?

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    chasm wrote: »

...the fuck??

My board is the same (I thought that was just a common design flaw among lower to medium cost MicroATX boards). Because my drives are sideways in my case I wanted to have a 90° SATA connector at the back of my hard drives, and since my single 6gb/s port lives under my GPU I ended up grabbing a double right angle cable and calling it good. Fits fine, works fine, looks decent. Outside of my SSD the only other drives I have are a 4800RPM mechanical "Desktop" that is a rebadged WD Green and an optical drive that gets used about as often as Lt. Dan's running shoes, so having those one the 3gb/s ports isn't really an issue.

I understand that MicroATX boards don't have much space available physically and just have to shuffle the SATA headers off to some edge somewhere, but if you're going to build a board with upward facing SATA ports (instead of side facing ports) maybe don't put the single 6gb/s one directly behind the PCI-e slot.

In related news, this new GTX 980 has a backplate. And it's awesome. And I can never have a card without one again.

Once you go backplate you never go .... backplate :?

I ordered one for my 980 Ti, but Amazon gives a predicted arrival date of basically "sometime in August". /sigh

Also, ordered all my parts!

• curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    evga's CLC has been doing a bang up job cooling my titan x. haven't had much time to play in the past coupla weeks, but knowing it's there makes me feel good.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Do backplates help keep the cards from drooping in the slot? Cause that low key bothers the fuck outta me

Oghulk wrote: »
    Do backplates help keep the cards from drooping in the slot? Cause that low key bothers the fuck outta me

So far as I know there's not been any real data collected on it, but anecdotal evidence suggests that it does support the PCB with some additional rigidity, which helps keep it straighter over time.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Things We Did:

Reset BIOS to Optimized Defaults (ASUS' fancy term for... Defaults)
    Switch SATA mode to AHCI
    Set memory speed correctly to 1600mhz and pulled one stick, leaving the remaining two in proper dual channel configuration
    Turned up the juice on the cpu_fan header to Full, giving the H100i GTX cooler all the precious energy it wants
    Checked that various shits were plugged in correctly (motherboard 4-pin power, USB header for the H100i, etc)
    Entered Win8.1 setup and deleted all partitions from the SSD, clearing it out and letting Windows do its thing.

I had some concerns that the damage from shipping might have dislodged the old cooler. The machine was powered on several times before the new cooler was purchased and installed, and I was worried this might have caused thermal damage. Not entirely convinced we're out of those woods yet, but if it's running fine now then TubeCPU might be ok.

No idea why it wouldn't POST with the HDD plugged in. The motherboard they sold him is a pretty bare-bones micro board, and the manual says that "Intel PCH SATA Controllers #0 and #1" share IRQ Assignment D. I... really don't know what the fuck it's talking about there. Like, I understand all the words they're using, it's the "assignment D" that throws me.

What CPU do you have, again, Tube? I have a Socket 775 board that could be sent your way. That board makes me very uncomfortable.

Mugsley on
    i5 3570K. I'm a little worried that the lifespan of it has been cut short by the general problems of this build.

• Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    hmm why did my kernal driver just suddenly poop itself

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Tube: Unless the board was overvolting it like crazy or something I wouldn't worry about the CPU being messed up if it's working atm.

Zen: Tube's poltergeist jumped to a new PC?

Xeddicus on
This discussion has been closed.