As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sony: don't play old games anymore buy new ones.

• Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Zephyr wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    Wow, backwards compatibility was one of the reasons I regretted ruling out getting a PS3, since I don't have a PS2 and I missed out on a tremendous number of excellent games, it seems.

Buying a ps2 would be a good choice.

My main concern is picking up the titles. How easy is it to find copies of Psychonauts these days?
    Fairly easy.

But if you want the best experience, and you have an xbox or a three yard elf pc, I would play it on one of those platforms instead. The oxbox version is great (and BC with the 360), and you can DL the PC version off steam.

Oh. I didn't know that. Is it hard to play with a mouse+keyboard? I find I prefer a controller for platform games.

Hmm. Barring Psychonauts, what else was great for the PS2? I've already played Shadow of the Colossus.

ICO
    shadow of the colossus
    jak and daxter trilogy
    ratchet and clank series
    tekken 4 and 5, soulcalibur 3
    katamari series
    gta series (if you don't have obox)
    final fantasy 10

Hmm. I'm not interested in most platformers or fighters, I'm afraid. Psychonauts gets a pass due to its hilarious design and characterization. FF10 made me insane with rage, and GTA is better on the xbox.

I guess I had always assumed the PS2 had a lot of games I'd like, but maybe not...

Ace Combat 4/5/0, Metal Gear Solid, Katamari Damacy, Devil May Cry, etc.

PS2 had quite the library. It sure took a lot of effort for Sony to fuck up the PS3, come to think of it; two years ago, this gen was theirs to win.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    MonaroMonaro Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Wow, backwards compatibility was one of the reasons I regretted ruling out getting a PS3, since I don't have a PS2 and I missed out on a tremendous number of excellent games, it seems.

My main concern is picking up the titles. How easy is it to find copies of Psychonauts these days?
    Fairly easy.

But if you want the best experience, and you have an xbox or a three yard elf pc, I would play it on one of those platforms instead. The oxbox version is great (and BC with the 360), and you can DL the PC version off steam.

Oh. I didn't know that. Is it hard to play with a mouse+keyboard? I find I prefer a controller for platform games.

Hmm. Barring Psychonauts, what else was great for the PS2? I've already played Shadow of the Colossus.

ICO
    shadow of the colossus
    jak and daxter trilogy
    ratchet and clank series
    katamari series
    final fantasy 10

Hmm. I'm not interested in most platformers or fighters, I'm afraid. Psychonauts gets a pass due to its hilarious design and characterization. FF10 made me insane with rage, and GTA is better on the xbox.

I guess I had always assumed the PS2 had a lot of games I'd like, but maybe not...

You're kidding right? The PS2 has arguably one of the greatest libraries ever, and possibly more top ten titles in every genre than any other console, and all you can think of is Psychonauts?

Monaro on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Monaro wrote: »

Fairly easy.

ICO
    shadow of the colossus
    jak and daxter trilogy
    ratchet and clank series
    katamari series
    final fantasy 10

You're kidding right? The PS2 has arguably one of the greatest libraries ever, and possibly more top ten titles in every genre than any other console, and all you can think of is Psychonauts?

Yeah, so far. No, wait, the Silent Hills are on PS2, yes? And the Fatal Frames? Definitely have to get around to those, I think.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Jesus Christ Sony.

Are you fucking retarded?

All of your managers should be shot and buried. Then the marketing people. Then your PR reps.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Why is everyone having such a big sook?

In 2 years you can buy a Ps2 for about $30.

Regardless, I haven't played a PS2 game since I bought my 60gb 10 weeks ago.

Remember, Sony is running at a loss with every PS3 sold, why is it such an ungodly and dispicable occurance when they want to narrow that?

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, so far. No, wait, the Silent Hills are on PS2, yes? And the Fatal Frames? Definitely have to get around to those, I think.
    Going on only titles that have either a $5 price tag or almost universal praise, I have about 30 games. Okami, ZoE, DMC1 and DMC3, God Of War, MGS1, 2 and 3, Prince of Persia 1 and 3, Resident Evil 4, BG&E, Phantom Brave... and some platformers and fighters. and I still don't have GoW2, or Persona 3 (actually, or any of the DDS series).

And the best part is the price. So many excellent games are $5-$10 used. I think last I checked online, for about $100 in gift certificates, I could get 30 games I was interested in. Mostly, almost all of the ones from the Giant Robot Games thread. I didn't and used them as a down payment on a 360, but still. The PS2 has given me the most game per cash of any console I've possessed.

Oh, and not having BC pretty much means the PS3 is an even no-er-go.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Remember, Sony is running at a loss with every PS3 sold, why is it such an ungodly and dispicable occurance when they want to narrow that?

because removing bc doesn't reduce the cost AT ALL

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    With Nintendo’s Wii having outsold Sony’s PlayStation 3 by almost fivefold during the quarter ending in June, Sony’s CFO Nobuyuki Oneda appears to be looking on the bright side of life.

"Sales of the PS3 have risen but we booked losses due to our strategic decision to price it below the (production) cost. Actually, because the number of units sold was not as high as we hoped, the loss was better than our original expectation," he said.

I can't help but invert that statement.
    With Sony's PlayStation3 having outsold Nintendo's Wii by almost fivefold during the quarter ending in June, Sony’s CFO Nobuyuki Oneda appears to be looking on the darker side of life.

"Sales of the PS3 have risen but we booked losses due to our strategic decision to price it below the (production) cost. Actually, because the number of units sold was much higher than we hoped, the loss was far worse than our original expectation, and we will be declaring bankruptcy and firing 90% of our staff," he said.

jothki on
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    jothki wrote: »
    With Nintendo’s Wii having outsold Sony’s PlayStation 3 by almost fivefold during the quarter ending in June, Sony’s CFO Nobuyuki Oneda appears to be looking on the bright side of life.

"Sales of the PS3 have risen but we booked losses due to our strategic decision to price it below the (production) cost. Actually, because the number of units sold was not as high as we hoped, the loss was better than our original expectation," he said.

With Sony's PlayStation3 having outsold Nintendo's Wii by almost fivefold during the quarter ending in June, Sony’s CFO Nobuyuki Oneda appears to be looking on the darker side of life.

"Sales of the PS3 have risen but we booked losses due to our strategic decision to price it below the (production) cost. Actually, because the number of units sold was much higher than we hoped, the loss was far worse than our original expectation, and we will be declaring bankruptcy and firing 90% of our staff," he said.

Screwed if they do sell and screwed if they don't sell

Of course for said situation to occur people would have to buy PS3s mainly for DVD players
    or if people only bought it for 1 game

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    D:D:D:

Sony, nooooooooooo.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Ohtsam wrote: »

Yes it does, just not by a significant amount. And to encourages people to support the new games.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Screwed if they do sell and screwed if they don't sell

Of course for said situation to occur people would have to buy PS3s mainly for DVD players
    or if people only bought it for 1 game

It might happen. Look at the PSP. Great system sales, but nobody's buying any games for it.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Uuh, the gaming division isnt the be-all-end-all of of sony.

Why is everyone blowing everything here so out of proportion?

If you really want BC, buy the 60gb, shit, you would probably buy that one anyway for the extra memory.

Not to mention Sony is the alpha and omega of electronics production.

The people doing the most bitching here probably don't even own, or WANT to own a PS3.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    SabanSaban Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    wahhh sony wants to turn a profit wahhhhhh

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Saban wrote: »

Wow, that is like all the common sense in the world in one sentence.

Everyone, just read this.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Yes it does, just not by a significant amount. And to encourages people to support the new games.

That's exactly the point. People are missing it. It's not to lower the cost. Sony is trying to narrow their loss on the PS3. They're trying to make money through the actual game sales. This is what this is about. If the PS3 titles don't sell, Sony and the devs won't make shit. If the devs don't make money, they'll take their abilities elsewhere.

Henroid on
  • Options
    BoredomBoredom Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Their competitors are turning a profit without resorting to egregious business practices.

Boredom on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Boredom wrote: »

Their competitors are turning a profit without resorting to egregious business practices.

It is hardly egregious.

Infact it is a perfectly viable move by sony.

If not having BC will kill you, your family, your dogs and ignites the ozone layer, then buy a 60gb.

Also, the Xbox is loud, gets extremly hot, red rings and isn't as powerful as the PS3. Oh, and you have to pay for online when the support is no better than the PS3's.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    SabanSaban Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

I think people forget Sony is a corporation that actually needs to make money.

Sony does what it must to stay in the game, even if some of their decisions give every nintendo forumwhore in G&T a massive erection.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Sony has to make shitty decisions right now because they put out a high-priced, hard to develop for console. At least they're making decisions instead of flopping around like a dead fish.

Henroid on
  • Options
    DirtchamberDirtchamber Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Henroid wrote: »

Sony has to make shitty decisions right now because they put out a high-priced, hard to develop for console. At least they're making decisions instead of flopping around like a dead fish.

At this point, the two are indistinguishable.

Dirtchamber on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Henroid, I would agree with that if Sony just made a couple of sacrifices here and there, but Sony has just been extremely consistent in not delivering, and just reaches a new low each time its PR people make an announcement.

Can anyone find that thread which lists all of Sony's mistakes? I think it was posted on the GameSpot forums. The list is just mind boggling.

Boredom on
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Also, the Xbox is loud, gets extremly hot, red rings and isn't as powerful as the PS3. Oh, and you have to pay for online when the support is no better than the PS3's.

While I'll agree that the 360 has very well documented problems in terms of stability, I have dropped my 360 onto a hardwood floor twice without a single problem. Also, show me something besides folding that the PS3 has done that is impossible on the 360.

Come on. Show me anything.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Not really no.

Nintendo relied entirely on a gimmick

Xbox did just enough to be able t say they have Next gen graphics, and price cut on all their production methods.

Sony is doing what it has to to keep its console, which has everything the other two consoles have combined, in the market.

This is sonys punishment for trying to actually create a path into truly next gen technology.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Dusda wrote: »

While I'll agree that the 360 has very well documented problems in terms of stability, I have dropped my 360 onto a hardwood floor twice without a single problem. Also, show me something besides folding that the PS3 has done that is impossible on the 360.

Blu-ray :3

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Neva wrote: »

Blu-ray :3

Haha, <3.

Dusda on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Motion sensing in a degree that the Wii can't emulate? More of every type of hardware? 50 gb on one disk? Quality hardware? Free online?

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Motion sensing in a degree that the Wii can't emulate? More of every type of hardware? 50 gb on one disk? Quality hardware? Free online?

Small library?

Oops.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Small library?

Oops.

Oh, and the 360 was just roaring with games early on in its life.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Not really no.

Xbox did just enough to be able t say they have Next gen graphics, and price cut on all their production methods.

Sony is doing what it has to to keep its console, which has everything the other two consoles have combined, in the market.

This is sonys punishment for trying to actually create a path into truly next gen technology.

If the Wiimote was a gimmick, then Sony wouldn't have added motion controls on the Ps3 controller immediately after Nintendo made the announcement.

Also, adding an obscene amount of cores doesn't really "create a path into truly next gen technology." That just sounds like an obnoxious spin by Sony's PR. What it does do, though, is create an extremely expensive machine with only marginally superior functionality.

Boredom on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

I seriously don't recommend arguing that around here. People will say something like "No game needs more the 4GB!" or something of the likes. Then it will get into another argument that doesn't make any god damn sense, and will end up with more people poking there heads in the thread for a second to post a one liner about Sony, because they are so witty that they need to share it.

Neva on

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Small library?

Oops.

Motion sensing: Yet to be adopted in a fashion that produces anything truly impossible to reproduce with a (often more intuitive) button press. Even flOw would work better just using a thumbstick. Disk capacity yet to be of any real importance, aside from the occasional developer comment or two. The hardware comment is nullified by the incredible warranty Microsoft has given to make up for it's pitfalls. An online system that pales in comparison to Xbox Live in terms of a unified platform.

I'm not saying Sony won't at some point create a bullet point or two that really makes it stand out, but don't sit there and pretend it is in any way in a superior position presently.

Dusda on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Not really no.

If the Wiimote was a gimmick, then Sony wouldn't have added motion controls on the Ps3 controller immediately after Nintendo made the announcement.

Also, adding an obscene amount of cores doesn't really "create a path into truly next gen technology." That just sounds like an obnoxious spin by Sony's PR.

Do you know why the 360 is easy to develop for? Because it is the same shit, just more powerful. The PS3 goes further that developers anticipated and now are finding themselves hard pressed to adapt.

With the motion sensing, whoopididoo. Sony overtook the Wii at its own game. With extreme ease.

The Wii could at least have gone without the damn sensor bar. I had a sensor for my SNES bazooka, and sticking to that was just slack.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Nevermind. You're crazy too.

Neva on

• Options
    RCagentRCagent Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Small library?

Oops.

Oh, and the 360 was just roaring with games early on in its life.

SO WHO WANTS TO PLAY SOME RESISTANCE FALL OF MAN?

Oh I'm sorry, you can only play it online, no split screen, because they put so much awesome on the screen at one time that having splitscreen would just lag the game.

Yeah, I know Gears of Wars does splitscreen, but that doesn't mean shit.

Shut up.

...Blue Ray.

RCagent on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Hey, its healthy to have a die-hard PS3 owner around here that isn't a total cock about it. Kudos to Hunter if he can keep his cool.

Dusda on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Do you know why the 360 is easy to develop for? Because it is the same shit, just more powerful. The PS3 goes further that developers anticipated and now are finding themselves hard pressed to adapt.

With the motion sensing, whoopididoo. Sony overtook the Wii at its own game. With extreme ease.

The Wii could at least have gone without the damn sensor bar. I had a sensor for my SNES bazooka, and sticking to that was just slack.

Not a single valid point in there. Sony's implementation of motion sensing is just not superior to the Wiimote. "Extreme ease" is obnoxious marketing talk, please cut it out.

Dusda: Yes, we should all keep our cool. I don't think anybody really lost it over a videogame discussion. But also, we should make reasonable arguments, but there's nothing healthy about the points Hunter's making since they're just downright exaggerated and mostly false.

edit: Also, the ps3 is also "the same shit" as you put it. The difficulty in ps3 development is in actually using 7 or 8 cores. This usually means your application has to have 7 threads. While possible, it's a huge burden to make your game run on so many threads. There's nothing elegant or futuristic about this hardware design, it's just more cores.

Boredom on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Small library?

Oops.

Motion sensing: Yet to be adopted in a fashion that produces anything truly impossible to reproduce with a (often more intuitive) button press. Even flOw would work better just using a thumbstick. Disk capacity yet to be of any real importance, aside from the occasional developer comment or two. The hardware comment is nullified by the incredible warranty Microsoft has given to make up for it's pitfalls. An online system that pales in comparison to Xbox Live in terms of a unified platform.

I'm not saying Sony won't at some point create a bullet point or two that really makes it stand out, but don't sit there and pretend it is in any way in a superior position presently.

In response to your motion sensing comment, while a direct command like a button will always be easier, motion sensing is actually a hellovalot more absorbing to use. While I couldnt play Blazing angels all the time with the motion sensing, it was extremely responsive and effective, and given time, I could easily use it, but i didnt have the patience. The short stint I did try it though, the game felt far more realistic. Instead of sitting there like a zombie, I was actually doing more than moving my thumbs.

Microsoft's incredible warranty should never have been needed. And there is still the 2-8 week wait for you to get your Xbox back.

And what Are the size caps on live? I myself don't know, but on PS3 it is 40, and in games like warhawk I rarely hear of people complaining about lag. I havent heard complaints about Resistance either.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    DirtchamberDirtchamber Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Sony is doing what it has to to keep its console...

And failing miserably at it. I don't want to see the PS3 fail - I own one, for Chrissakes - but there's no doubt that Sony's inability to settle on a stable SKU and a reasonable price-point has severely damaged their chances of retaining their lead in this generation. Even if you ignore the paucity of PS3 exclusives and the shoddy quality of most PS3 ports, the fact is they've made fuck up, after fuck up, after fuck up, and on almost every occasion they've compounded the damage with awful PR.

Also, the term "next-gen" is an arbitrary and completely meaningless buzzword used by marketers and fanboys who are too stupid to say anything substantive. You're not either of those, are you?

Dirtchamber on
  • Options
    RCagentRCagent Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Small library?

Oops.

In response to your motion sensing comment, while a direct command like a button will always be easier, motion sensing is actually a hellovalot more absorbing to use. While I couldnt play Blazing angels all the time with the motion sensing, it was extremely responsive and effective, and given time, I could easily use it, but i didnt have the patience. The short stint I did try it though, the game felt far more realistic. Instead of sitting there like a zombie, I was actually doing more than moving my thumbs.

Microsoft's incredible warranty should never have been needed. And there is still the 2-8 week wait for you to get your Xbox back.

And what Are the size caps on live? I myself don't know, but on PS3 it is 40, and in games like warhawk I rarely hear of people complaining about lag. I havent heard complaints about Resistance either.

I would probably agree with you but I have scarred memories of trying to drive cars in Motorstorm without driving off a fucking canyon using motion sensor controls.

And Before anyone else says anything.

Lair.

Yes, I said it.

RCagent on