As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sony: don't play old games anymore buy new ones.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    jothki wrote: »
    Ok, objection to bitching withdrawn, this is retarded. Everyone back to your positions.

Yessir!

HAI U U R RONG GO BAK 2 UR MUM TAHT I EM FUKCIG!

It's like other companies are fucking random people I don't know or care about, but then Sony starts fucking my mother. I don't care if it's "innovative".

jothki on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Ok, objection to bitching withdrawn, this is retarded. Everyone back to your positions.

Yessir!

HAI U U R RONG GO BAK 2 UR MUM TAHT I EM FUKCIG!

It's like other companies are fucking random people I don't know or care about, but then Sony starts fucking my mother. I don't care if it's "innovative".

New feature, vibrating swirly-cock.

For your pleasure, not hers.

Now with free online.

The Black Hunter on
  • ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

When Tube gives the go-ahead to complain about something, that's when you know something's wrong

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Arcibi wrote: »

When Tube gives the go-ahead to complain about something, that's when you know something's wrong

Yeah, it's pretty scary when the one person who tries to balance the thread out goes "fuck it."

Henroid on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007

Then again, Tube loves to complain about how disabled kids have it too easy with their wheelchairs and their asthma medications

Bloods End on
  • ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Henroid wrote: »

Yeah, it's pretty scary when the one person who tries to balance the thread out goes "fuck it."

Personally if I were a Sony executive, that would scare me more than the sales numbers

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Henroid wrote: »

Personally if I were a Sony executive, that would scare me more than the sales numbers

If Sony read this forum at all, I think they would've long since gotten then hint that maybe, just maybe, they made a bad decision or two.

Henroid on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    God damn it. Kojima, suck it up and make MGS4 for the 360 so I don't have to buy one of these bloated litterboxes.

Local H Jay on
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    God damn it. Kojima, suck it up and make MGS4 for the 360 so I don't have to buy one of these bloated litterboxes.
    No shit. Sure, Uncharted and Warhawk would be nice, but they're not system sellers like MGS4.

MGS4 360 PLZZZZZ

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

don't worry it will

despite the fact Kojima has said it's not coming to the 360, the fact it's been built up from the ground as a PS3 game, and SIXAXIS is used as part of the gameplay.

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Who wants to use Six Axis in MGS4 anyway?

*crickets*

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    No shit. Sure, Uncharted and Warhawk would be nice, but they're not system sellers like MGS4.

MGS4 360 PLZZZZZ

Well, actually, Warhawk sorta was a system seller to me, but I'm waiting until either my Target gets its last 60gb or the 60gb gets a price drop to apply some 19% discount price undoing hilarity.

And actually, while I'm not a big fan of any sixaxis-based controls so far, Kojima & co. could be some of the first to make it really work well. I thought the controls in MGS3 were retarded, too, on paper, but in practice they're fantastic (IMO).

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • sonictksonictk Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Uhh actually I can think of a hell lot of applications for the PS3's motion-sensing capabilities in games like MGS, for example fluid leaning in FP mode? Reloading through gestures? Fluid zooming in/out? There are a ton of ways motion sensing can be integrated into gameplay, but I find it odd that people in general knock the PS3's controls and laud the Wii's implementation simultaneously.

I personally have given up hope on buying a PS3 with BC though, so I'll be looking for a PS2 probably after my exams end, and get a PS3 when the DS3 comes bundled with it, because what good is a goddamn controller w/o rumble?

sonictk on
    edited October 2007
    sonictk wrote: »
    Uhh actually I can think of a hell lot of applications for the PS3's motion-sensing capabilities in games like MGS, for example fluid leaning in FP mode? Reloading through gestures? Fluid zooming in/out? There are a ton of ways motion sensing can be integrated into gameplay, but I find it odd that people in general knock the PS3's controls and laud the Wii's implementation simultaneously.

Considering that the sole purpose of the pressure-sensitive buttons in MGS:3 is to make you accidently kill people, I don't have high hopes for motion sensing in MGS:4.

Why would you need fluid leaning in FP mode, when you have a perfectly working third-person view?

Those features that you listed would only make sense in a FPS.

jothki on
  • ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I thought they removed quite a few of the Six-Axis applications in MGS4? The biggest one I remember being left in was shaking the controller to return to the normal octacamo.

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • UnicronUnicron Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I've never done one of these so I hope I'm doing it right:

I will eat my own chicken if MGS4 doesn't come out for 360

Unicron on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    MGS4 has very little in the way of sixaxis support.

The_Scarab on
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    MGS4 has very little in the way of sixaxis support.

Yeah, I was going to mention that, but couldn't find the links.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Now all we need are games. Give us games. Good games.

RichardTauber on
  • tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Saban wrote: »
    Boredom wrote: »
    Saban wrote: »
    wahhh sony wants to turn a profit wahhhhhh

Their competitors are turning a profit without resorting to egregious business practices.

I think people forget Sony is a corporation that actually needs to make money.

Sony does what it must to stay in the game, even if some of their decisions give every nintendo forumwhore in G&T a massive erection.

No, we're saying this won't make Sony money. People will continue to not buy the console because while this lowers the price slightly, the games which can be played in the system just shrank by an astronomical amount. Hence, lol Sony.

But then again, since they're selling at such a loss maybe not selling consoles is their new business strategy.

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • BoredomBoredom Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    tarnok wrote:
    But then again, since they're selling at such a loss maybe not selling consoles is their new business strategy.

Page 7:
    titmouse wrote: »
    With Nintendo’s Wii having outsold Sony’s PlayStation 3 by almost fivefold during the quarter ending in June, Sony’s CFO Nobuyuki Oneda appears to be looking on the bright side of life.

"Sales of the PS3 have risen but we booked losses due to our strategic decision to price it below the (production) cost. Actually, because the number of units sold was not as high as we hoped, the loss was better than our original expectation," he said.

Boredom on
  • BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm not sure I understand some of the people on the fist page. I don't see how this is a bad thing ... in such a way that it causes you to "not want one". Saying something like that make it seem like you think this is going to be the ONLY version available. You have options my friend, you can get a "larger packaged PS3" that does some of your BC. When have they stopped making PS2's, and how long before you think thats going to happen?

Some of you make no sense, but oh well. If I try think up a reasonable future for Sony in the next bunch of years, PS3 is going to probably co-inside with PS2 for a lot of its life. If they stop producing PS2, theres still a lot in inventory now, as well as people owning them... + the bunch of PS3's that still do 99% BC and PS3% that are somewhat BC (80G)... Then and only if they release a PS4 ... could they not do BC if they wanted to... If it was that big of a deal? Its a "Lite" PS3 that has no BC, this doesn't mean BC is gone for good. Please get over yourselves.

BTW, I think 2008 is going to be a great year for gaming, for all platforms. :)

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'm not sure I understand some of the people on the fist page. I don't see how this is a bad thing ... in such a way that it causes you to "not want one". Saying something like that make it seem like you think this is going to be the ONLY version available. You have options my friend, you can get a "larger packaged PS3" that does some of your BC. When have they stopped making PS2's, and how long before you think thats going to happen?

Some of you make no sense, but oh well. If I try think up a reasonable future for Sony in the next bunch of years, PS3 is going to probably co-inside with PS2 for a lot of its life. If they stop producing PS2, theres still a lot in inventory now, as well as people owning them... + the bunch of PS3's that still do 99% BC and PS3% that are somewhat BC (80G)... Then and only if they release a PS4 ... could they not do BC if they wanted to... If it was that big of a deal? Its a "Lite" PS3 that has no BC, this doesn't mean BC is gone for good. Please get over yourselves.

You seem to operating on faith.

In Sony.

august on
    edited October 2007
    Given the trend with the 60 and 80 gig PS3s, we were hoping that the rumored 120 gig model would be the one that lacked BC, not the cheaper version.

jothki on
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Because in europe they aren't making any new consoles with BC, and all indications are that future consoles will not have it. And all indications are that this will be the case worldwide.

So yes, some people are pissed because they want a BC PS3 but don't want to have to buy one right fucking now.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
    edited October 2007
    plufim wrote: »

Because in europe they aren't making any new consoles with BC, and all indications are that future consoles will not have it. And all indications are that this will be the case worldwide.

So yes, some people are pissed because they want a BC PS3 but don't want to have to buy one right fucking now.

So correct me if I'm wrong, in Euro right now they are selling a 40G and a 60G? The 60G is no longer being produced, "while supplies last" but does some BC, the 40G Lite has no BC. 'I think its almost Halloween, which means holidays is close too. Hmm, personally, if I was Sony I don't think I would want to release another SKU on top of what I already have. I wouldn't want to be cutting prices this time of year... or entering a new SKU at a really high price point(on top of their already high price point).

I have a weird feeling, based on Sonys words before "we don't need rumble, its not next gen/hey check out this!~ we did it based on demand", that next year (after those Holidays) they will probably introduce an 80G, shit maybe a 120G or PS3iTOUCH.. with limited BC.

I don't think Sony ever said they were going to quit producing 80G PS3's in the US which have no BC... only 40G's will not include it. If this is a feature is a "must have", then get the PS3 that has it. O_o

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Gaming-ModuleGaming-Module Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Some of you guys asking, "What do I do with my old PS2 games when my current system dies?" are missing the part of the plot that Tretton wasn't stupid enough to whisper into the WSJ's ear.

When your PS2 dies you're supposed to pony up $99 for the PSTwo.

Gaming-Module on
  • MonaroMonaro Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    No, pony up the cash to re-buy them on the PlayStation Store :P

Monaro on
    steam_sig.png
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Here's something I don't understand (note that I have almost 0 programming experience):

The PS3 is extremely powerful...it can help cure cancer and model black holes and shit like that.

But it can't run a program to allow Renderware to run properly without some old hardware on board?

Doctor Detroit on
    edited October 2007
    Monaro wrote: »

Why not both?

They're arrogant and callous enough for that.

Gaming-Module on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Monaro wrote: »

Why not both?

They're arrogant and callous enough for that.

I would say that Sony wouldn't be that stupid but...

Couscous on
    edited October 2007
    Here's something I don't understand (note that I have almost 0 programming experience):

The PS3 is extremely powerful...it can help cure cancer and model black holes and shit like that.

But it can't run a program to allow Renderware to run properly without some old hardware on board?

Just curious, what is the % of games the X360 can play for XBOX? I honestly don't know what its current % is..

My understanding is that their 2 different beasts? :...:

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • UnicronUnicron Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Pretty much yeah. The thing that pisses me off though is, it's obviously powerful enough to emulate a PS2, so why not do the whole thing in software? They've got all the specs, it should be so easy. Which leads my tin-foil hat wearing self to think that they might add BC to the now non-BC PS3's. But why would they do all this stuff now if they're gonna fix it later?

Sony is confusing

Unicron on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Sony needs to stop it with the crazy amount of SKUs and spend that time and money on getting their hype machine on MGS4 and Killzone. Give us Halo style TV ads, merch (MOAR GAME SOUNDTRACKS), and maybe a collectors edition of the game that includes the soundtrack. It seems they are trying to ride the OLOLOLOL PS2 dudes! train still and it ain't working.

powersurge on
    edited October 2007
    As far as my collection goes we're at about 40-50 percent BC with the 360. Even though I already bought the plot, I don't think it's killing Microsoft to continue to please me and other members of the userbase by inching us ever closer to being able to sell our original X-Box systems.
    Unicron wrote: »
    Pretty much yeah. The thing that pisses me off though is, it's obviously powerful enough to emulate a PS2, so why not do the whole thing in software? They've got all the specs, it should be so easy. Which leads my tin-foil hat wearing self to think that they might add BC to the now non-BC PS3's. But why would they do all this stuff now if they're gonna fix it later?

Sony is confusing

What is confusing about it?

They want to reduce PS3 owners' options for playing games on the system to just PS3 and PS1 games, because there aren't any PS1 games on mainstream retailers' shelves to compete with PS3 software, which is exactly what PS2 hardware and software are doing and will continue to do.

The only other option is to take PS2 off of the shelves, which would probably cause a whole different shitstorm developer side. It would also hurt quite a bit since the PS2 is pretty much the bulwark of their "Playstation-brand" sales that they talk about in front of investors in lieu of impressive PS3 sales figures that can stand on their own.

Gaming-Module on
  • MonaroMonaro Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Because one is utilizing raw mathematical power, the other is emulating something that it isn't, in effect translating it to another language. Which in itself isn't hard, but there is a time penalty in translating the hardware calls the game wants, which on the original hardware it would get instantly, whereas an emulator takes time to reproduce the result.

[edit] Heh makes me think now that GM posted that... It makes it sound like Sony want to kill or cannibalize the PS2 market to help get the PS3 going, in the process killing the one natural or practical reason for existing owners to migrate up to PS3 instead of jumping camp. They're forgetting that's the very reason they introduced PSone compatibility in to the PS2.

Monaro on
    steam_sig.png
  • Dirty DrawersDirty Drawers Lord of the undie world Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I think Sony went the wrong way. They should have used a smaller hard drive, since you can replace it on your own, and omit the blu-ray. I understand they're trying to shove their proprietary format down our throats, but if they would have implemented blu-ray 3-5 years from now, it probably would have been more accepted. The cost of the blu-ray is what drove the cost up and shunned most people away.

Dirty Drawers on
    Fools shall not be pitied.
    edited October 2007
    Oddly enough, I think Blu-ray is going to become the standard movie format this time around, because of the PS3 boost, but it's going to end up costing them the game business, where increased capacity doesn't mean shit if developers have decided to go to the systems that have 2-3 times your installed base.

Gaming-Module on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The problem is that this time around, the format war looks like it can last a long time.

Couscous on
  • grim123grim123 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Aww nutsack.
    too funny siged

grim123 on
    Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png