As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[tech] It's Tech Spring Cleaning Week now. Clean your....tech....stuff.

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Okay. Phone has been discharging and recharging more quickly lately. It just shut off at 50% and complained the battery was at 0 when I turned it back on. Is there something I can do or is the battery bad?

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    How old are the battery and phone?

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    October of last year

• Options
    I'd try and pursue a warranty claim - no way 9 months of use would degrade a battery that much.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    My experience with Xoticpc hasn't been stellar so far. The "Order Analyst" seems to have messed up the actual purchase no less than three times so far, and the laptop hasn't made it past the "Ordering" stage despite three phone calls and three e-mails.

what's the problem exactly besides the order spec being out of sync (which is surprising to me, its just filling out a form how could they fuck that part up)

they usually take a few weeks to get from order received to build up the laptop to spec and then ship it out unless you pay the expediting fee to bump it up the chain. last I heard they were on a 3 week backlog in mid-june when we ordered a rig for a new employee (expedited got that down to a week though)

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    She told me yesterday she forgot to put in my zip code for billing, so apparently they take the billing information from the order that you send, re-enter it manually, and then the transaction happens.
    Also that's a real bummer about a several-week backlog...there was no mention of that :( I was hoping to have the laptop in time for my vacation in the first week of August.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    She told me yesterday she forgot to put in my zip code for billing, so apparently they take the billing information from the order that you send, re-enter it manually, and then the transaction happens.
    Also that's a real bummer about a several-week backlog...there was no mention of that :( I was hoping to have the laptop in time for my vacation in the first week of August.

I don't know if you're somewhere that would make shipping from Newegg a problem or if you added some add-ons via XoticPC, but Newegg has the GS60-606 for the same price.

jgeis on
  • Options

it could be less now; but they usually don't broadcast what their workload is at on their website unfortunately

• Options
    I e-mailed the analyst back to see if she could provide an estimated timeline, and if it was too late to opt for rush processing to try and make it happen. We'll see.
    I'm going to stick with them in any case though because I chose the Samsung SSD instead of the Crucial one, plus they've already started "working" on the order.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    who sells the best computer desks right now? i need a computer desk

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    What kind of desk

I got an IKEA one, the line they replace the GALANT series with and its solid.

They also make motorized legs to make it a convertible standing desk.

• Options
    PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I want one of the LianLi desks something fierce...

Or to do something like @Storm Shadow did, which looks amazing.

Pirusu on
  • Options
    Wow, I'm not often inspired to be crafty, but now I really want to build a customized desk someday.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Hot damn that is beautiful. I've looked at those aluminum pieces before for work when designing modular work stations for the production floor. They are expensive but incredibly awesome.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    V3dsGub.png

fuck this site and the people who use it, but...

man this is going to lead to some high-profile blackmailing

fl4wN94.jpg

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/07/ashley-madison-an-dating-website-for-cheaters-gets-hacked/

Brolo on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Yeah wow holy shit those people are just breaking all the laws aren't they?

Like wow just burn all the bridges on your way to that moral high ground.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I can't say I feel sorry for anyone that does face blackmailing from this. Rule number one of the internet is don't put shit on there you cannot afford to go public and if you are counting on a website that facilitates affairs to keep your affair secret you are a class A fool not to mention a class A piece of shit in the first place.

If it turns out your married life isn't exciting enough for you perhaps you should consider not being married anymore.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I don't know. Personally yeah I'd never have a use for that site, but since it's not doing something criminal I don't feel like I can be too "well you asked for it" about this, because well they're all consenting and that feels a bit too close to victim-blaming for me.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    also depending on the person you may be outing someone

and using someone's sexuality as a weapon against them is fucked up as all hell

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    There are always consequences to an affair whether or not is is brokered online.

Also, I am not sure what you mean by "depending on the person" as Ashely Madison's business model is based on discrete affairs. They're all being outed.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Butters wrote: »
    There are always consequences to an affair whether or not is is brokered online.

Also, I am not sure what you mean by "depending on the person" as Ashely Madison's business model is based on discrete affairs. They're all being outed.

I believe @Kadith means outed by means of being in a non-heterosexual/heteronormitive relationship.

jgeis on
  • Options

There are, but I'm not comfortable with those consequences getting thrown out into the internet public for everyone to gawp and gossip over. If a marriage is being party to someone cheating, then that's for the people involved to deal with and discuss as their own business. I do not believe there is very much intended benevolence behind this action.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    I see well yeah that sucks but entering an affair has its inherent risks and that would be one of them regardless of method you use to seek it out.

• Options
    it should surprised nobody that the owner of that site of sort of a blowhard sleezeball, and it's actually hurting my brain trying to figure out if he'd actually shut down the company vs. selling out his customers

that's a coinflip

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Also what if publicly outing the cheater causes more humiliation and trauma to the person being cheated on rather than the cheater?

This is a really fucked up thing to do on all levels.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Maybe.

Everyone in this situation is a bit of a dick.

• Options
    I see well yeah that sucks but entering an affair has its inherent risks and that would be one of them regardless of method you use to seek it out.

I agree that there are risks from all angles, both expected and not. You could leave the site open, or it could pop up in your history or something. But a hack and blackmail like this feels like the puritanical village gossip coming round with their news just to watch the fireworks, because they get off on the drama and feeling superior, and I really don't like that at all.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Jasconius wrote: »
    it should surprised nobody that the owner of that site of sort of a blowhard sleezeball, and it's actually hurting my brain trying to figure out if he'd actually shut down the company vs. selling out his customers

that's a coinflip

if that information makes it out into the wild, it's going to be a fucking shitshow for everyone involved. like a typical hack of mundane personal information can be harmful, but in most cases would require an actual person to go through and suss out if the information can actually be leveraged for exploitation, with a minority of users having enough information to actually coerce them for any kind of financial gain

in the case of AM, pretty much everyone on the site has something to hide by its very nature. if the hackers have personal details and any sort of contact information, they have a ton of leverage over whoever was compromised

I wonder how much that sort of information would actually be worth in whatever hacker blackmarket it gets circulated on

Brolo on
  • Options
    darleysam wrote: »

There are, but I'm not comfortable with those consequences getting thrown out into the internet public for everyone to gawp and gossip over. If a marriage is being party to someone cheating, then that's for the people involved to deal with and discuss as their own business. I do not believe there is very much intended benevolence behind this action.

Oh neither do I. Most hackers even when claiming benevolence do as much harm as they do good (e.g. anonymous vis-a-vi Stuebenville) and I doubt any public good was intended here. I'm just saying I don't feel too sorry for the parties involved here.

• Options
    darleysam wrote: »

Oh neither do I. Most hackers even when claiming benevolence do as much harm as they do good (e.g. anonymous vis-a-vi Stuebenville) and I doubt any public good was intended here. I'm just saying I don't feel too sorry for the parties involved here.

That's fair enough.

forumsig.png
  • Options

that's a coinflip

I don't know if there's really a decision to make here. This is about the most devastating thing that could happen to a site of this nature. Maybe I am thinking too rationally here but I can't imagine anyone trusting their secrets to AM anymore. They have to shut down for good don't they?

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Butters if you're honestly saying that someone's personal information getting thrown out in public is ok somehow because they were using a service to have an affair (which even on Ashley Madison is half sexy advertising and isn't necessarily the case) then no, no, no. If you gave someone your information assuming and with the assurance that it would remain private and you weren't doing anything illegal then it should remain private, period, end of conversation.

• Options

that's a coinflip

I don't know if there's really a decision to make here. This is about the most devastating thing that could happen to a site of this nature. Maybe I am thinking too rationally here but I can't imagine anyone trusting their secrets to AM anymore. They have to shut down for good don't they?

If it was a smaller site I could imagine that they'd just change the name and try to distance themselves from the hack, but AM is a huge site, big enough to pay for major advertising campaigns and television commercials. Losing a subscribed user base of that size has to be costly into the millions of dollars.

• Options
    Peen wrote: »
    Butters if you're honestly saying that someone's personal information getting thrown out in public is ok somehow because they were using a service to have an affair (which even on Ashley Madison is half sexy advertising and isn't necessarily the case) then no, no, no. If you gave someone your information assuming and with the assurance that it would remain private and you weren't doing anything illegal then it should remain private, period, end of conversation.

I never fucking said it was ok I said I don't have much sympathy for anyone involved here. When the hell did that become the same thing?

No nothing AM users did was technically illegal but it's inherently irresponsible and in my opinion foolish.

• Options

that's a coinflip

I'd say if you had the audacity to bring the site to the internet in the first place, then you've go the audacity to copy the code to a new server and launch under a new name and hope nobody notices

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular

Not in so many words, no, but pretty dang close. You're making a moral judgment about the website in question and that's shitty. It's one thing to forget to erase a voicemail or text and get caught cheating on your wife, it's entirely another to use a website to broker some sex and then have your private business get blown up for the world to see.

• Options
    Peen wrote: »

Not in so many words, no, but pretty dang close. You're making a moral judgment about the website in question and that's shitty. It's one thing to forget to erase a voicemail or text and get caught cheating on your wife, it's entirely another to use a website to broker some sex and then have your private business get blown up for the world to see.

I don't see how either of those statements constitutes a moral judgement. Is engaging in an affair not inherently risky? Is one of those risks not being discovered? Where was I judging anyone with either of those statements?

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    ah yes the old "there are no good guys" situation, aka the jet's quarterback dilemma

though I think the guys doing the blackmailing are assholes numero uno in this situation

Jars on
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

that's a coinflip

I'd say if you had the audacity to bring the site to the internet in the first place, then you've go the audacity to copy the code to a new server and launch under a new name and hope nobody notices

Hell, they may even make money off it by saying "we're closing this site and deleting all records securely" then forcing new signups/subs. Given the customer base I doubt there would be much of a kerfluffle.

• Options
    of course the joke is AM charges users $15 to get their info deleted (but then didn't actually delete it)

This discussion has been closed.