As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Supernatural]: This is why we can't have nice things, Sam.

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    Like many things of the entire show but especially seasons 6-10, good ideas in premise, no skill whatsoever in execution.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    They did murder all of the nazi necromancers so at least that hook was removed.

They murdered a couple, it'd be easy to explain that wasn't the whole group. Also, necromancers.

I think it'll get dropped just like so many other things though.

They did drop it completely. :( Easy to bring back, however.

• Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    Comic-Con news:
    At Comic-Con earlier this month, the Supernatural cast and producers revealed that Season 11 (bowing Oct. 7 on The CW) will find Sam and Dean getting back to their roots. “[We’re] going back to the original format of having both brothers unaffected, meaning not drinking demon blood, not with the Mark of Cain on their arm,” he said. “[It’s] just Sam and Dean as Sam and Dean, fighting a common target.”

Added EP Jeremy Carver: “This year, we are going to have a little bit more of an epic feel with a Big Bad and a real quest for the brothers to unite.”

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    Don't trust anything Carver says

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    I never even finished last season. I just forgot to watch the last five or so episodes. I mean, they're still there, I can watch them, but... why bother?

I think I'm done. I mean, I was mostly done after Season 5, but I just have no investment in this world or characters anymore.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Plus they just constantly dick over every decent supporting character on the show. I think maybe Jodie Mills is like the only one left who hasn't been pointlessly killed in the stupidest possible way? But I'm sure they'll off her sometime in s11 for that sweet, sweet emotional impact.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    This kind of news might have brought me back to the table 3 years ago, but at this juncture I simply don't have any faith in the creative team behind this.

Like, I didn't even watch season 10 outside of one or two clips (and even that felt overly generous on my part) because it's faster and easier to just read the one paragraph descriptions of the episodes on wikipedia and I don't have to actually *watch* Sam and Dean go through their god awful partnership/betrayal/forgiveness arc or see the big bad of the season go down in a 3 minute badly choreographed scene.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    There is a convention in my town where the main guests are the "ladies of Supernatural".

The last convention this year had the metallicar.

woooo

• Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Sam hasn't drunk demon blood in like 5 years - unless something happened this season which I don't know about because I don't watch this damn show anymore. So why is the blood even worth mentioning?

I would love a reason to get back into it. I try every season and then just end up turning a stupid episode off halfway through and not coming back.

I do love how we can only blame the writers for the show's suckiness. The cast are all awesome, and they know that the writers are hacks. They talk about it in the media, and revelled in it when Carver was unable to effectively answer the question about you_know_what at comic con this year.

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I think it's more a case of "Sam or Dean is hiding something from Dean or Sam and that causes angst"

Which has pretty much been their normal story for several seasons.

• Options
    I can't think of another example of a show with so obviously terrible writing carried so far by the strength of the cast. Even good Supernatural never had that spectacular of writing, but it was at least competent.

Without Jared and Jensen this show would have been dead a loooong time ago.

Forget it...
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    So. Finished off the season last night. Not sure why I bothered.
    Why would you even introduce a new villain at the last minute. You could have revealed all this shit so much earlier, and that would have given some context to the Sam/Dean feud: instead of Dean not wanting to cure the mark because "angst", it's because "unsealing the original chaos that predates the universe", and Sam can still be "damn the consequences, we beat everything else, so fuck it". What a waste.

Also, wasted the Stein family as a villain.

Also also, Death ain't dead, don't even pretend, show.

Also also also, let's kill off another female supporting character! Even if I was sick of Felicia Day in this, c'mon, stop killing your entire female supporting cast. Can't wait for the episode where they just kill all women on Earth to keep the Wincest crowd appeased.

Finally, the best part of that episode was Cas summoning Crowley. How delightfully self-aware! It's like they've got one writer who understands exactly the shit they're churning out, but needs the paycheck too bad to quit, so he keeps dropping in these little moments of passive-aggressive snark that are clearly a meta-commentary on the state of the show itself.

Calling it now: "The Darkness" going to be revealed to be the source of all demons, because black smoke.

Houn on
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I'll agree with you 200% that they totally wasted the first potentially compelling villain(s) they've come up with in years and I just don't understand why they keep doing this shit, Jesus fuck.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    So are they going to reveal Jackie Estacado next season?

• Options
    I honestly don't understand how this show is still on the air.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I really can't wait for a brother to have a secret he's not telling the other and for that to be revealed in a climatic moment that is unsatisfactorly resolved.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Gaddez wrote: »

The show was cancelled with season 5. We've been watching Becky Rosen's fanfic ever since.

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    I really can't wait for a brother to have a secret he's not telling the other and for that to be revealed in a climatic moment that is unsatisfactorly resolved.

I can't wait for them to wallow in more angst and stupid arguments.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I'm kinda hoping that this is the year all the actors realize they're too good for these writers and just improv the whole season without even storyline guidance from them. It honestly couldn't be worse.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular

The show was cancelled with season 5. We've been watching Becky Rosen's fanfic ever since.
    It certainly explains all the female deaths.

...has there been any focus on clavicles?

sig.gif
  • Options
    I don't understand how such an obviously fucking terrible storyteller as Jeremy Carver was the one who wrote Mystery Spot and A Very Supernatural Christmas.

Either those episodes were ghostwritten or he suffered some sort of brain injury between then and now, because jesus fuck.

Forget it...
  • Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Either ghost written or script doctored, or some kind of stroke of genius. Or help from an uncredited writer.
    I've gotten into this youtube channel called the Passionate of the Nerd because he excellently breaks down episodes of buffy the vampire slayer.

In one of his critiques, he noticed that a truly, truly awful episode was written by this one writer. The ONLY other episode this guy wrote was one of the best episodes of the shows early run.

So what happened? The reviewer noticed a lot of Whedonisms peppered throughout the good episode, and concluded that it was quite possible that Whedon had an uncredited hand in writing the episode.

The episodes you mention Reznik, didn't they occur while Eric Kripke was showrunner? Maybe that's going on with Carver, because the guy is rubbish.

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    Morblitz wrote: »
    Either ghost written or script doctored, or some kind of stroke of genius. Or help from an uncredited writer.
    I've gotten into this youtube channel called the Passionate of the Nerd because he excellently breaks down episodes of buffy the vampire slayer.

In one of his critiques, he noticed that a truly, truly awful episode was written by this one writer. The ONLY other episode this guy wrote was one of the best episodes of the shows early run.

So what happened? The reviewer noticed a lot of Whedonisms peppered throughout the good episode, and concluded that it was quite possible that Whedon had an uncredited hand in writing the episode.

The episodes you mention Reznik, didn't they occur while Eric Kripke was showrunner? Maybe that's going on with Carver, because the guy is rubbish.

That has to be it. They were both during Kripke's run, season 3, which got cut short with the writer's strike. Both of those episodes were absolutely fantastic explorations of the brotherly dynamic, which Carver has clearly shown during his tenure as showrunner that he has no clue how it works, why it works, or why people like it.

Forget it...
  • Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

A lot of people still really like it. I know that's a foreign concept to some people, but a good portion of the show's viewership doesn't hate watch it. They watch it because they legitimately enjoy it.

• Options
    cr0w wrote: »

A lot of people still really like it. I know that's a foreign concept to some people, but a good portion of the show's viewership doesn't hate watch it. They watch it because they legitimately enjoy it.

I'm sure they do. I'm also sure that it's been effectively directionless since season 5 and they keep regurgitating the same stupid plot arcs every season without fail while bumping into interesting ideas (men of letters, a civil war in hell, interesting support characters) and then ignoring them.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    I would 100% get fullbore behind Supernatural again if Loki appears in the first episode of next season and just gets smarmy about how they cant not fuck everything up.

Then reveal they've been a time bubble, and dumps them off at the mystery spot from season 3, and we get to deal with Lucifer again as the big bad then boom series finale.

• Options
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    I would 100% get fullbore behind Supernatural again if Loki appears in the first episode of next season and just gets smarmy about how they cant not fuck everything up.

Then reveal they've been a time bubble, and dumps them off at the mystery spot from season 3, and we get to deal with Lucifer again as the big bad then boom series finale.

Throw in a promise that there won't be any more dumb ass brother vs brother plot arcs and I'd be right there.

• Options

I want this series canceled asap, wait a few years then reboot from scratch. Keep Eric Kripke on as producer/consultant.

• Options

I want this series canceled asap, wait a few years then reboot from scratch. Keep Eric Kripke on as producer/consultant.

I'd be on board for a reboot if they scrapped the biblical shit and went full on cosmic horror

Forget it...
  • Options
    The biblical shit wouldn't be so bad if it was sparse, but Castiel got too popular and next thing you know..

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    The first reboot is going to be terrible, but the inevitable third reboot, in 2050, will be great.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Sam & Dean should open up a new Roadhouse, and then we can have flashback episodes of them telling about previous hunts, or episodes following new hunters (that might die and stay dead) going on new hunts that Sam & Dean hear about.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Sam & Dean should open up a new Roadhouse, and then we can have flashback episodes of them telling about previous hunts, or episodes following new hunters (that might die and stay dead) going on new hunts that Sam & Dean hear about.

Oh my god.

a Supernatural Road House, where Sam and Dean bust heads and keep the peace in their bar that serves Hunters and Monsters alike.

• Options
    That's not too far off from what I suggested a year ago; a series where Sam and dean stop being active hunters and instead start training future generations.

• Options
    I really wish SPN would have delved more into the pure North American folklore.

Like, from a lore perspective, imo Crossroad Blues is the absolute best episode. It introduces a fundamental aspect of the supernatural world through an old legend retold in a completely American way - the Robert Johnson story. No other fantasy/supernatural show felt like that episode. It didn't feel like they were doing a poor Buffy or X-Files ripoff - that episode was told with the distinct voice of Supernatural. That felt like a story that couldn't happen anywhere else.

But they got so lazy later on. The pagan gods were handled like garbage. Random Greek deities showing up made no sense at all. They got so cheap just grabbing random monster names - vetala, okami - and it's just some chick with fangs or claws or whatever. It doesn't come off at all like any of the original legends, but there's no flavour added to any of them. They could be from any generic urban fantasy show set anywhere and nobody would bat an eye.

There's, like, a metric fuckton of monsters and spirits in Native American and Mexican folklore that the show could use to great effect - stuff that actually has a cultural presence in North America - before having to do a bunch of lazy hack jobs on mythology from halfway across the world that gets so stripped down it feels like a random mob from a video game.

Forget it...
  • Options
    Yeah america has a fantastic lore group of bullshit monster myths to plum from. And you have the south/carribean full of hoodo, voodo whateverthefuckdo you could utilize as well.

I mean the Wendigo was a one note monster, but it was nice that a native american myth was used and it fits the highways and biways of the supernatural mythos.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I've actually been doing a lot of research into North American folklore and folk magic. Hoodoo is fascinating. There's this Pennsylvania Dutch folk magic called Braucherei/Spielwerk that could have added a really cool flavour. Same with Mexican brujeria. The witchcraft presented in the show is boring as shit compared to some of the "legit" stuff out there.

Forget it...
  • Options
    It's one of the more maddening aspects of any supernatural/ghost/horror thing from hollywood. They all stick to judeo christian and ignore all these lovely religions and practices the rest of the northern hemisphere engages in.

Like canadians have this beer magic...

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    The part that bugged me the most with some of their monsters is how incredibly badly handled they were and how incredibly short of the mark they were.

Like take the dragon. Dragons are an awesome beast that figure into ancient cultures from mexico to china, and while they range wildly in interpretation they are pretty much invariably some sort of big reptile. In supernatural they are guys with hot hands and a thing for virgins and gold.

Or the phoenix. A legendary firey bird that consumes itself in a great blaze and is reborn from the ashes. In supernatural it's a guy with hot hands.

The Kitsune, a legendary trickster spirit that looks like a 9 tailed fox. In supernatural it's women with long nails and a hunger for human livers.

• Options
    I'd take the shitty rubber monster suits and bad CGI of Buffy over Supernatural's 'literally not even trying' any day.

Forget it...