As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Forum servers having a hard time?

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I might turn auto draft off for a little while if it keeps happening. Hopefully these problems will be short-lived.

Please "forget" to turn it back on. :)

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    We put it to a vote. Stop hating democracy.

• Options
    IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    I've done a little tweak to the server configs, we'll see if it helps.

• Options
    IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    From my side it looks like there was a big performance improvement. Any feedback you guys have would be appreciated at this point.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I got a warning from Safari about the server not being verified?

Otherwise fine, but figured that was worth bringing up

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I've not gotten any logout issues yet today after a few hours

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    From my side it looks like there was a big performance improvement. Any feedback you guys have would be appreciated at this point.
    @IcyLiquid Haven't noticed any changes with page load times, but things seem a bit more stable for now. Also not seeing the 'plural' bug as much as in the last few days.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Things feel super snappy on my end.

Thanks for fixing all the things!

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I'm getting random login prompts again, just FYI.

• Options
    Yeah, I'm getting capacity pop-ups.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Things seems a bit snappier since the update on my end, however I've had a couple of 503s and logouts in the past hour or so.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    On mobile, have been signed out once and while I haven't seen a proper 503 I might have had them trigger when the bookmarks failed to load a few times.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Tonight 7/21 - 7/22 I've seen a couple random log outs. But then again I've had random VPN logouts so I'm not willing to throw out my PC being weird tonight. But would throw it out there all the same.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I've had a couple logouts

once attempting to use the mobile site on my iphone and once on my PC

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Also getting random logouts (but a refresh shows me logged back in) and I've gotten a few over capacity popups too.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Yeah, I totally just had one of those over capacity popups happening during a draft autosave just now.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Found the source of the high load, am fixing like a boss.

• Options
    Fixes are in, hoping this solves the problem.

For those that are interested: https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/commit/ced075ab393a09617ef4cad673aa17270c966d41

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Probably Geth trying to get all Skynet on us again.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Fixes are in, hoping this solves the problem.

For those that are interested: https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/commit/ced075ab393a09617ef4cad673aa17270c966d41

Your comments are like my comments.

//This is a dirty hack, don't judge me!

Or similar has shown up a few times.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Hate to bring bad news into the thread after a fix was announced, but I've been getting signed out like mad the last hour or so. Is it just a delay in the update or do I need to clear my mobile cache or something?

• Options
    Still refining the fix actually, I found the root cause because as @bowen correctly pointed out, this is a dirty hack and I should be judged.

• Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    Hope for the best eh? Nice.

• Options
  • Options
    When you shard randomly, how does that effect performance? Seems like there should be some sort of dispatcher in charge because random could mean stack everything onto 1 server theoretically.

Unless I'm reading that wrong.

• Options
    There are a couple of bits of randomness in there. Which part are you referring to?

• Options
    edited July 2015
    There are a couple of bits of randomness in there. Which part are you referring to?
    // If we're sharding to less servers than we know about, pick some random ones
    +        if ($shards < $mapSize) {
    +            $shardSlices = array_rand($shardMap, $shards);
    +            $shardMap = array_intersect_key($shardMap, array_fill_keys($shardSlices, true));
    +        }

Mostly this one. Seems like you could stack the deck even during normal randomness? I'll admit I don't have much experience with memcache and sharding though.

bowen on
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    If you're talking about this:
            // If we're sharding to less servers than we know about, pick some random ones
            if ($shards < $mapSize) {
                $shardSlices = array_rand($shardMap, $shards);
                $shardMap = array_intersect_key($shardMap, array_fill_keys($shardSlices, true));
            }
            $mapSize = count($shardMap);

Basically, if the number of shards is lower than the number of servers, we want to pick a random subset of the servers to place shards on. We are picking $numberOfShards items out of the list and placing one shard on each. There's no chance of all the shards being on one server here.

If you're talking about this:
                if (!count($servers)) {
                    // Use random server keys and hope for the best

foreach ($serverList as $server) {
                        $serverName = $server['host'];
                        $servers[$serverName] = betterRandomString(6, 'a0');
                    }
                }

Then yes there is a chance that keys will end up in the same place, but this is a fallback in the case where the memcached library has a broken implementation of `getServerByKey()` which prevents it from working, so we just have to make do. Also, anyone who has a broken memcached and is storing large enough data to warrant sharding should probably be hung?

IcyLiquid on
  • Options
    Ah neat!

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I'm 503s again:
    Error 503 Service Unavailable

Service Unavailable

Guru Meditation:

XID: 1643770949

Varnish cache server

Also ran into some 'over capacity' messages like before. And I also can't post this message...

• Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Hit with a handful of logouts here, fyi.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Yeah I am running into lots of 503s, Over Server Capacity messages, and logouts in the last hour

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    This might be vanilla related, some other forum I peruse that uses vanilla has been having the same issues

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    just chiming in, have been seeing similar weird logout issues. if i navigate to a different forum page, i'm logged back in.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    Just started happening again today for me. Logouts and all that too.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Just experienced the server throwing another fit, displayed the "Opps, Something Went Wrong" page, logged me out, etc.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    Yep I am working on this, there's something fucked in the configuration builder

• Options
    edited July 2015
    We have too many users, and so we're gonna solve this Lottery style.

Everyone gets a number, and the pile of rocks is over here.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I know people mentioning this is probably getting old, but I've had a 503 today as well as on occasion being unable to pull up my bookmarks in the drop down menu.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Randomly being punted to the main forum hub when I try clicking on threads to enter. Don't know why.

This discussion has been closed.