As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ultimates #12 Spoilers

The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Graphic Violence
After spending the better part of 4 minutes using the search button and not finding a single thread dedicated to the Ultimates 12, I thought what the heck?

I absolutely LOVED this issue!

[spoiler:eca88c65d5]What with Hulk Smashing apart the Abomination while laughing and taunting him with random scientific facts.[/spoiler:eca88c65d5]

[spoiler:eca88c65d5]Quicksilver literally breaking the Hurricane apart molecule by molecule all before hawkeye even fell[/spoiler:eca88c65d5]

[spoiler:eca88c65d5]Ironman SIX![/spoiler:eca88c65d5]

[spoiler:eca88c65d5]The Wasp gaining the power to at least temporarily increase hersize and strength[/spoiler:eca88c65d5]

[spoiler:eca88c65d5]The two page panel with all the heroes cleaning house... (LOL AT NIGHT HAWK)[/spoiler:eca88c65d5]

[spoiler:eca88c65d5]Even the fight with Cap and Abdul was pretty well drawn[/spoiler:eca88c65d5]

That was a phenomenal issue and I just cannot WAIT for

[spoiler:eca88c65d5]Thor[/spoiler:eca88c65d5]

LuciferSig.jpg
The_Lightbringer on

• Options
    hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2006
    I'm conflicted on the Ultimates. On one hand the art is phenominal, but I really don't like most of what Millar does on the title. His political commentary is muddled and everyone's an asshole. Plus the structures of his stories haven't changed much since the Authority.

I just got the oversized hardcover of volume one off of Ebay for a song, so maybe my thoughts'll change after another read-through.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I don't like any of the characters. The art work is amazing, but I honestly prefer something more surreal or impressionistic to photo-realism. Some of the stuff was just amazing, but I pretty much agree with hughtron.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I dont have a problem with everyone being an asshole in the ultimates. It really doesent bother me.

Jeedan on
  • Options
    Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Jesus, the bit with the Scarlet Witch at the end.

That was.

Awesome.

Bob The Monkey on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006

That was.

Awesome.

It kind of sucks that she's taking credit for Thor escaping. Of course, I can't wait to see what Thor does to the Ultimates. Probably forgive them for being under Loki's influence, unfortunately.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Smoovy BSmoovy B Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Fencingsax wrote:

That was.

Awesome.

It kind of sucks that she's taking credit for Thor escaping. Of course, I can't wait to see what Thor does to the Ultimates. Probably forgive them for being under Loki's influence, unfortunately.

I don't think shes taking credit for him escaping, just the coming back part.

Smoovy B on
  • Options
    The CowThe Cow Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I liked this issue exclusively because of Captain America vs. Darth Maul. Other than that, it was almost too over the top. Not to say I'm complaining - the Ultimates have always been about being as over the top as possible, so I can't really fault them for that.

The Cow on
  • Options
    The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    The only thing I could find fault with the comic was that the premise of "all" the super people unite together and fight against a common enemy was kind of deceptive since we get what? A two page battle scene. I was expecting a bit more than that.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    The Cow wrote:
    it was almost too over the top.

Its been too over-the-top since volume 1, issue 1. It's what makes it so great. There's no nuance. There's no judicious use of force. Everything is turned up to 11 - Tony Stark is blasting away totally drunk, Captain America is in full-patriotic overdrive and Hulk is so utterly untamed.

I mean, I get all the complaints: this is Authority-lite, the politics don't make sense, I want something a bit deeper, etc. It's just that this book is too awesome and I enjoy it way, way too much to give a fuck.

Rock on, Millar.

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I've never really been a fan of Quicksilver, in any of his incarnations, until recently.

House of M #8 did it for 616 Quicksilver.

Ultimates 2 #12 did it for the Ultimate version.

Now, begins the long, slow wait until #13 and Ultimates 3...

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Ultimates 3, coming 2010.

Furu on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited November 2006
    I'm pretty sure that with this lead time, Ultimates 3 will be out very very soon after Ultimates 2 finally ends.

And they're already working on 4.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I quit Ultimates after all the celebrity name-dropping in the first trade.

Did that decrease over time?

The thought of Hulk chasing Fredie Prinze Jr. through New York just disgusted me.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Geebs wrote:
    I'm pretty sure that with this lead time, Ultimates 3 will be out very very soon after Ultimates 2 finally ends.
    Except that it's going to be Jeph Loeb and Joe Mad, so it probably won't be worth reading and Madureira will find a way to make it late anyways.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Senjutsu wrote:
    Geebs wrote:
    Except that it's going to be Jeph Loeb and Joe Mad, so it probably won't be worth reading and Madureira will find a way to make it late anyways.

The fact that Joe Madureira is drawing is enough alone to make me pick it up.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Senjutsu wrote:
    Geebs wrote:

The fact that Joe Madureira is drawing is enough alone to make me pick it up.

Word.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Although I'm not very keen on Jeph Loeb, Ed Macguiness on Ultimates 4 is pretty neat neat neat. I'm hoping he keeps up with the absolutely fantastic panel experiments he was doing in the Seven Soldiers/JLA Classified tie in, although that might have been equal parts Morrison.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    Adaemus1sfAdaemus1sf Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I think I'll like Ultimates 12 a lot in trade form. Individually, it was a bunch of people I barely remembered hitting each other. Once I can connect it to the larger story, that should make it less boring.
    I've got high hopes for Ultimates vol. 3. Jeph Loeb has proved to be good at big crazy action, if he can keep from going off the rails like he did with Superman/Batman. And the art should be pretty great.

Adaemus1sf on
  • Options
    The CowThe Cow Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    The Cow wrote:
    it was almost too over the top.

Its been too over-the-top since volume 1, issue 1. It's what makes it so great. There's no nuance. There's no judicious use of force. Everything is turned up to 11 - Tony Stark is blasting away totally drunk, Captain America is in full-patriotic overdrive and Hulk is so utterly untamed.

I mean, I get all the complaints: this is Authority-lite, the politics don't make sense, I want something a bit deeper, etc. It's just that this book is too awesome and I enjoy it way, way too much to give a fuck.

Rock on, Millar.

Right, which is what the rest of my 3 sentence post said.

I was talking specifically about this issue - I wouldn't be reading The Ultimates if I didn't enjoy over the top, outrageous shenanigans much more than the next guy.

The Cow on
  • Options
    HoA-playerHoA-player Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I have one question:

[spoiler:ae50d8d88d]What happened to the hammer and sickle guy from the invaders? He wasn't show in #12 at all and the cliffhanger makes it seem like the next issue is all about Thor vs Loki.[/spoiler:ae50d8d88d]

HoA-player on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Most of the fights were badass, but why the fuck was there a lightsaber fight in there? Cap's badass hand-to-hand fights (vs the Hulk, Pym) from Vol. 1 were awesome - Jedi Cap vs Darth Maul? Not as awesome.

Hensler on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    HoA-player wrote:
    I have one question:

[spoiler:4cb23ce5bc]What happened to the hammer and sickle guy from the invaders? He wasn't show in #12 at all and the cliffhanger makes it seem like the next issue is all about Thor vs Loki.[/spoiler:4cb23ce5bc]
    I'd imagine either Thor takes him out while fighting Loki, or the Xmen do. In an issue of Ultimate Xmen, a few of them are shown training in the danger room against some liberator holograms, and one of them is the hammer and sickle guy.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    laughterkillsmelaughterkillsme Registered User regular
    edited November 2006

That was a phenomenal issue and I just cannot WAIT for

[spoiler:d3c585b06b]Thor[/spoiler:d3c585b06b]

DUDE!!!

[spoiler:d3c585b06b]My soul was going NOOOOOOOOOOOO when they did the Ultimate Thor is like Ultimate Sinister shit. I'm so glad they didn't make thor a mental patient in this series though.

and what is up with that belt shit?[/spoiler:d3c585b06b]

laughterkillsme on
    freealonesig.jpg
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Uh

[spoiler:6f9d153c29]I'm pretty sure Ultimate Sinister isn't insane. Last page reveal and all.[/spoiler:6f9d153c29]

Furu on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Furu wrote:
    Uh

[spoiler:426e4f2c53]I'm pretty sure Ultimate Sinister isn't insane. Last page reveal and all.[/spoiler:426e4f2c53]

It could go either way really.

[spoiler:426e4f2c53]Either Sinister really was working for Apocalypse and the dummy was just something he mocked up to have a visual focus for the psychic orders he was getting (or however it worked), or the last page where we see the "real" Apocalypse giving Sinister his last order (choke yourself ftw) is just Sinister's point of view, what he sees when he has his mental breakdowns or what have you.[/spoiler:426e4f2c53]

werehippy on
  • Options
    OverlardOverlard Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Loved the issue, but I was hoping Ironman 6 was going to be a hulkbusteresque suit, rather than the ship thing it turned out to be.

A geek can dream...

Overlard on
    mario.png