As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Smash Bros Brawl: The closer you are to Peach, the deeper you sleep.

• Options
    FaustumFaustum __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    WE'VE COVERED THIS MUSHROOM PIE

Faustum on
    diddysiggiesq8.pngClick to see who gets to DIE February 10th
    sigoj3.gif
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Faustum wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    What kind of crappy Skarmory uses Toxic?

What it should be doing is scattering spikes all over the ground and then pushing characters towards them with the force of its roar.

...Shit, that Pokemon Super Smash Bros. is really sounding good!
    I might not be hip to the new, sexy Pokemon metagame.

Drill Peck
    Whirlwind
    Roost
    Stealth Rock

Learn it, live it, hate the fuck out of it

Fixed.
    Have I mentioned the last Pokemon I played seriously was Gold? :P

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    What kind of crappy Skarmory uses Toxic?

What it should be doing is scattering spikes all over the ground and then pushing characters towards them with the force of its roar.

...Shit, that Pokemon Super Smash Bros. is really sounding good!
    I might not be hip to the new, sexy Pokemon metagame.

Drill Peck
    Whirlwind
    Roost
    Stealth Rock

Learn it, live it, hate the fuck out of it

Fixed. Like a phat beat.
    Am I doing this right

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Look the only wiseass that brought a Skarmory to my gym got surprised when my Tangrowth used Sunny day and then got Whirlwinded away to my Roserade who used Weather Ball

It was pretty glorious

Faustum on
    sigoj3.gif
  • Options
    MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Skarmory was Curse/Drill/WWind/Rest in GSC though.
    Dude. I'm sorry.

MiserableMirth on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Skarmory was Curse/Drill/WWind/Rest in GSC though.
    Dude. I'm sorry.
    Well I didn't use him okay

Elendil on
  • Options
    FishguyFishguy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    NOR wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    The tier stuff bothers me. Mostly because the only people who give a shit are the people who are ridiculously good at the game. The average joe, that shit doesn't even apply.

So you hate it because it creates a separation between the average joe and ridiculously good players?

People who are way too good at a fighting game are probably good as any character. At that point, they make their character selection based on this power grid, which may or may not be imaginary.

The average joe probably doesn't reach such a point. Luck becomes a strong basis for their wins and losses. The tier system doesn't work in a way where anyone who picks the best tier will win. An average joe picking the supposed top tier characters may get his ass beat by another average joe, and on a rematch may win.

And? Is the problem the fact that the good players know this is how tier systems work and the average joes really don't understand in most cases and mistake what this all means the problem?

Oh God, what have I done. I wasn't talking about whether tiers are a valid or not, just that the game they're playing is in an early beta-test-not-complete phase and they're trying to form tiers based on a couple hours play. Those kinds of tier lists are the BS lists that don't help anyone. There is no metagame yet, you can't just do tiers yet. Not proper ones anyway.

Fishguy on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    The tier stuff bothers me. Mostly because the only people who give a shit are the people who are ridiculously good at the game. The average joe, that shit doesn't even apply.

So you hate it because it creates a separation between the average joe and ridiculously good players?

People who are way too good at a fighting game are probably good as any character. At that point, they make their character selection based on this power grid, which may or may not be imaginary.

The average joe probably doesn't reach such a point. Luck becomes a strong basis for their wins and losses. The tier system doesn't work in a way where anyone who picks the best tier will win. An average joe picking the supposed top tier characters may get his ass beat by another average joe, and on a rematch may win.

And? Is the problem the fact that the good players know this is how tier systems work and the average joes really don't understand in most cases and mistake what this all means the problem?

Smash Bros has never had the personality to it to come across as a game where these tourny-level people would pick it apart so seriously. Yes, I'm saying that it has come across as a casual gamer's game. It feels like it, it sounds like it, and to me it feels like it's being invaded with all this 'tier' and 'omg wavedashing' crap.

Ultimately, it doesn't fucking matter. I've only intended to play this with folks I know here, friends, and that's that. I doubt I'll cross paths with someone that's going to trash talk me about picking whatever tier character.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Skarmory was the ugliest motherfucking shitass ever, so no one blames you for not using him

not that it matters, but is that pokeball poke really Skarmory, I mean I doubt it matters but Skarmory is already struggling to stay afloat in the Pokemon Stadium flying stage, I doubt he can pull off that speed

but at the same time I figured Latios and Latias were bigger, but that could just be my misconception

Faustum on
    sigoj3.gif
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Woah woah woah. We passed the competitive phase and moved back into character talk. You can't start discussing pokemon!

You're screwing up the order of the thread!

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    WE'VE COVERED THIS MUSHROOM PIE

Like a phat beat.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Joshua368 wrote: »
    Fishguy wrote: »
    Does all the tier talk bother anyone else? I mean we've only seen like a third-half of the cast so far, how can you even begin to try to put them in tiers? Not to mention they've been doing FFA's almost exclusively. I think tiers a legit and a useful thing and all, it's just waaaay to early to even be considering it imo.

Mostly I'm not bothered by it. One crazy tourny guy even made his own "mock-up" of the tier list based on his and others' experiences at the demo. I'd recommend not taking it seriously by any means, but here it is.

Upper Middle Tier: Mario, Meta Knight, Peach
    Mid Middle Tier: Bowser, Diddy Kong, Fox, Link, Pikachu, Pit, Samus, Sonic, Zero Suit Samus
    Lower Middle Tier: Donkey Kong, Ike, Yoshi

Think they may be going too far? ;-) (Also, apparently everything is much more ballanced, which is why they're all in subcategories of Middle.)

I have an issue with them working up a tier list at this point simply because changes might be made to character balance between now and February.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    LOOK YOU LARDASSES.

THE TIER LIST OF MELEE IS CALCULATED BASED ON WHO WINS THE MOST AT TOURNAMENTS, WITH IMAGINARY DIVISIONS SET IN

ITS NOT SAYING BLAH WILL ALWAYS BEAT YADA

arguing about it is as equally stupid as arguing the game was meant to be played by xxxxxxx or the game can only be played on yyyyyyy

this doesnt really apply to the tier list at the demo, because one who cares its a fucking demo, and two they already said the demo was more balanced than anything, just one guys interpretation

Faustum on
    sigoj3.gif
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It seems rather contrived and yes I doubt Jake is coming back, I'm just saying it might not even be the same world

but you know, whatever

saying they wouldnt use andy because of the new game is rather silly when they have an assist trophy sporting the traditional sprites of Advance Wars, and not this shitty shit thats shitting shitty shit shit

red-infantry.png

the fact is they wouldn't use andy as a fighter anyway, its totally unrelated to the new game

It's pretty much on the level of people ruling out other character because of color schemes, m i rite?

No seriously, saying an Advance Wars character won't be playable because of a future game is pretty ignorant.

But saying that an Advance Wars character won't be playable because they would have had an icon from their assist trophy if they were is pretty well informed.

Or are they? I don't think the Advance Wars trophy has made it to the site yet.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    NORNOR Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Joshua368 wrote: »
    Fishguy wrote: »
    Does all the tier talk bother anyone else? I mean we've only seen like a third-half of the cast so far, how can you even begin to try to put them in tiers? Not to mention they've been doing FFA's almost exclusively. I think tiers a legit and a useful thing and all, it's just waaaay to early to even be considering it imo.

Mostly I'm not bothered by it. One crazy tourny guy even made his own "mock-up" of the tier list based on his and others' experiences at the demo. I'd recommend not taking it seriously by any means, but here it is.

Upper Middle Tier: Mario, Meta Knight, Peach
    Mid Middle Tier: Bowser, Diddy Kong, Fox, Link, Pikachu, Pit, Samus, Sonic, Zero Suit Samus
    Lower Middle Tier: Donkey Kong, Ike, Yoshi

Think they may be going too far? ;-) (Also, apparently everything is much more ballanced, which is why they're all in subcategories of Middle.)

I have an issue with them working up a tier list at this point simply because changes might be made to character balance between now and February.

Yeah, anything done at this point is largely pointless, other then the obvious time wasting potential of it. And with the game not coming out till February I'm not going to begrudge them their time wasters.

NOR on
    Swehehehehehahahahahahahahahawhawhawhaw
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    LOOK YOU LARDASSES.

THE TIER LIST OF MELEE IS CALCULATED BASED ON WHO WINS THE MOST AT TOURNAMENTS, WITH IMAGINARY DIVISIONS SET IN

arguing about it is as equally stupid as arguing the game was meant to be played by xxxxxxx or the game can only be played on yyyyyyy

this doesnt really apply to the tier list at the demo, because one who cares its a fucking demo, and two they already said the demo was more balanced than anything, just one guys interpretation

Like a phat beat?

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Woah woah woah. We passed the competitive phase and moved back into character talk. You can't start discussing pokemon!

We're going to start talking about tiers and competitive battling in pokemon now.

They exist.

MiserableMirth on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    LOOK YOU LARDASSES.

How much time do they even get with the demo?

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

We're going to start talking about tiers and competitive battling in pokemon now.

They exist.

My UU Cacturne will show your OverUsed assholes a thing or two

Faustum on
    sigoj3.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    LOOK YOU LARDASSES.

LIKE A PHAT BEAT

Is that seriously how the tier list for fighting games gets generated? I thought they picked apart each character, who does how much damage with their attacks and specials, etc.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

They exist.

No items.

Specsmence only.

Final Destination.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    SpeakeasySpeakeasy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Yeah thats right, ill play my smash bros on my ps2 thankyouverymuch.

Speakeasy on
    smokeco3.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    LOOK YOU LARDASSES.

How much time do they even get with the demo?

General concensus is that it was a ~20 or so minute wait for 2 minutes of play. I don't know how much time was had all together, but keep in mind some games were just smashboards guys playing together trying shit out.

Faustum on
    sigoj3.gif
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    LOOK YOU LARDASSES.

Well, if you think about it, Charizard should always beat Ivysaur, and Ivysaur should always beat Squirtle, and Squirtle should always beat Charizard (maybe).

PT confirmed as being his own 3 tier system?

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Speakeasy wrote: »

Yeah thats right, ill play my smash bros on my ps2 thankyouverymuch.

I was referring to final destination

please dont joke I dont take humor very well!!!

Faustum on
    sigoj3.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Is that seriously how the tier list for fighting games gets generated? I thought they picked apart each character, who does how much damage with their attacks and specials, etc.

I only care about two fighting games. One of them is Guilty Gear, and one of them is Smash brothers

I dont know about GG, but that is the way the Melee tier list was created

Faustum on
    sigoj3.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    LOOK YOU LARDASSES.

Well, if you think about it, Charizard should always beat Ivysaur, and Ivysaur should always beat Squirtle, and Squirtle should always beat Charizard (maybe).

PT confirmed as being his own 3 tier system?
    Charizard will beat Squirtle because Squirtle lacks the stats to deal significant damage.

I suppose if Charizard was still level 36 and Squirtle was all the way up to 100, then you'd have a point.

We really can't have this discussion though unless we know each of their levels, natures, IVs, and EVs.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    UltrachristUltrachrist Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Smash Bros has never had the personality to it to come across as a game where these tourny-level people would pick it apart so seriously. Yes, I'm saying that it has come across as a casual gamer's game. It feels like it, it sounds like it, and to me it feels like it's being invaded with all this 'tier' and 'omg wavedashing' crap.

It may seem that way to you, but the brawl character nerfs and buffs fit perfectly within melee's tier scheme. Fox is getting nerfed, Bowser is getting buffed, etc. I think Smash is consciously designed to appeal to everyone from the most casual to the most hardcore -- which is probably why it's so popular.

Ultrachrist on
    ultrachrist2.png
  • Options
    NORNOR Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    LOOK YOU LARDASSES.

LIKE A PHAT BEAT

Statistical evaluation factors into it, most heavily during the inception of a tier list, as time goes on actual experience gets factored into these things. Experience generally only ends up proving the evaluation correct in the end.

NOR on
    Swehehehehehahahahahahahahahawhawhawhaw
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    LOOK YOU LARDASSES.

LIKE A PHAT BEAT

Depends on what tier list you're looking at.

I know some of the ones I have looked at analyze frame data, lag time for moves, safety, ease of use, and ability to punish.

Which is precisely why you will see shiek placed above falco on the tier list, but on another list, he will be above her.

(Although, the soul calibur tier list was all pure frame data. In soul calibur 2, cervantes was technically top tier going by frame data and move list, but he rarely came in top 3 at tourney games).

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Someone post that quote of someone bitching about losing to Link, please. I need a good laugh. Because it goes to show how seriously people take the tier system, like it's infallible.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Someone post that quote of someone bitching about losing to Link, please. I need a good laugh. Because it goes to show how seriously people take the tier system, like it's infallible.

"Blah blah link beat me and he is low tier maybe I should quit blah"

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    SkyGheNe wrote: »
    LOOK YOU LARDASSES.

LIKE A PHAT BEAT

Depends on what tier list you're looking at.

I know some of the ones I have looked at analyze frame data, lag time for moves, safety, ease of use, and ability to punish.

Which is precisely why you will see shiek placed above falco on the tier list, but on another list, he will be above her.

(Although, the soul calibur tier list was all pure frame data. In soul calibur 2, cervantes was technically top tier going by frame data and move list, but he rarely came in top 3 at tourney games).

Soul Calibur 2 was the one and only time my friends discussed the tier system in front of me, and it was only one night in particular following a tourney we had among ourselves. It was ultimately decided that it's not meant for casual folks.

Henroid on
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

I've seen tiers defied. A prime example is the best sc2 player in the world. He was a french player who used nightmare (nightmare had very slow moves, but his pay off (damage) was huge). Also, the kid took an otherwise slow and easily readable character and turned him into something distinct. I think tiers are useful in looking at characters superficially, but you can work with someone who is low tier and really push the bounds of what is expected of them.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    FishguyFishguy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

A tier list is not infallible, even in between 'even' tourney players. But what is? It is generally a good metric though. Think of it as probabilities if you like. Also like stated above, it depends on how the tier list was compiled . Some are purely theoretical, some are more practical and some are just based on tourney/match statistics. The middle option is probably the most accurate though.
    I guess I shouldn't have quoted you on that though, since you weren't the one saying they were infallible.

Fishguy on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    This is a trivia I read on a developer's blog ON THE INTERNET so it may not be true, but:

Back in the beginning of Ultima Online, swords were good! Really good. Too good. So, they turned down the damage on the swords. The players complained that it felt like they were hitting things with nerf swords.

And so a term was born.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

I've seen tiers defied. A prime example is the best sc2 player in the world. He was a french player who used nightmare (nightmare had very slow moves, but his pay off (damage) was huge). Also, the kid took an otherwise slow and easily readable character and turned him into something distinct. I think tiers are useful in looking at characters superficially, but you can work with someone who is low tier and really push the bounds of what is expected of them.

I did not know that. This makes me very happy since Nightmare is my favorite character.

Nightmare Represent!
    Like a phat beat.
    Am I doing this right?

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Tiers tiers, blah blah blah.

I think we need to attend to a much more important subject, namely:

Are there any videos of the Nintendog in action? I wanna see fighting with a puppy break.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So, any good news this weekend?

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    turtleant wrote: »

I did not know that. This makes me very happy since Nightmare is my favorite character.

Nightmare Represent!
    Like a phat beat.
    Am I doing this right?

High five. XD

Henroid on