As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Smash Bros Brawl: The closer you are to Peach, the deeper you sleep.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Tiers tiers, blah blah blah.

I think we need to attend to a much more important subject, namely:

Are there any videos of the Nintendog in action? I wanna see fighting with a puppy break.
    First trailer? :P

Elendil on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So, any good news this weekend?
    I forgot the specifics of a seven year old Pokemon metagame?

Elendil on
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Woah woah woah. We passed the competitive phase and moved back into character talk. You can't start discussing pokemon!

You're screwing up the order of the thread!

We're going to start talking about tiers and competitive battling in pokemon now.

They exist.

No items.

Specsmence only.

Final Destination.
    OBJECTION!

Specsmence is impossible if there are no items. This is a clear contradiction!

On the note of tiers, screw what everyone else thinks, Ike is going to be awesome.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Henroid wrote: »
    turtleant wrote: »
    SkyGheNe wrote: »
    Someone post that quote of someone bitching about losing to Link, please. I need a good laugh. Because it goes to show how seriously people take the tier system, like it's infallible.

I've seen tiers defied. A prime example is the best sc2 player in the world. He was a french player who used nightmare (nightmare had very slow moves, but his pay off (damage) was huge). Also, the kid took an otherwise slow and easily readable character and turned him into something distinct. I think tiers are useful in looking at characters superficially, but you can work with someone who is low tier and really push the bounds of what is expected of them.

I did not know that. This makes me very happy since Nightmare is my favorite character.

Nightmare Represent!
    Like a phat beat.
    Am I doing this right?

High five. XD
    I do what I can.:P

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Elendil wrote: »
    Tiers tiers, blah blah blah.

I think we need to attend to a much more important subject, namely:

Are there any videos of the Nintendog in action? I wanna see fighting with a puppy break.
    First trailer? :P

Yeah yeah yeah. I meant during actual gameplay at E for All, dippy.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So, any good news this weekend?

Pros appalled: Brawl's so easy, even a caveman can do it.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    KonataKonata Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Woah woah woah. We passed the competitive phase and moved back into character talk. You can't start discussing pokemon!

You're screwing up the order of the thread!

We're going to start talking about tiers and competitive battling in pokemon now.

They exist.

No items.

Specsmence only.

Final Destination.
    OBJECTION!

Specsmence is impossible if there are no items. This is a clear contradiction!

On the note of tiers, screw what I think, everyone is going to be awesome.

fixed ?

Konata on
  • Options
    MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This is the same shit that happens in pokemon. When RSE came out, hardcores bitched that everything died too fast thanks to EVs and it was just all attack attack attack and no strategy. RSE had one of the most balanced metagames ever.

Brawl will be as deep and complex as Melee.

MiserableMirth on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So lots of hilarity on Smashboards, I take it?

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    FishguyFishguy Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    So guys, think we can get to a new thread by Monday? I hate it when an update is stretched between two threads. Especially since the first 5 pages are just "Woo assist trophy!! Blue dot"

Fishguy on
  • Options
    FaustumFaustum __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    So lots of hilarity on Smashboards, I take it?

No more than usual, really.

Faustum on
    diddysiggiesq8.pngClick to see who gets to DIE February 10th
    sigoj3.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    is it possible to end this one early ?

else we'll just have to spam useless crap like in the other 86 pages

Konata on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    This is the same shit that happens in pokemon. When RSE came out, hardcores bitched that everything died too fast thanks to EVs and it was just all attack attack attack and no strategy. RSE had one of the most balanced metagames ever.

I always worry about this kind of thing - it seems like balance is extremely hard to accomplish since popular strategies can be things the developers never even thought of.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Fucking awesome, all these reports I'm reading of Diddy make him sound really awesome and fun to play

in particular his Forward + B, you jump and and latch onto someones face/shoulders and then can press another button and hit them and jump off them at the same time

monkey bidness goin on

Faustum on
    sigoj3.gif
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2007
    Konata wrote: »

As opposed to spamming useless crap in a new thread?

There'd be no difference.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2007

I suppose I can try to help move things along. Ahem.

Man, if it wasn't for damn casuals, Sakurai could have made Brawl without wasting his time on these items, assist trophies, and final smashes which are just going to be turned off anyways (the way it ought to be played). Then by December it'd be out of beta and releasing on time. First wavedashing's gone then the delay. They ruin everything.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Faustum wrote: »
    Fucking awesome, all these reports I'm reading of Diddy make him sound really awesome and fun to play

in particular his Forward + B, you jump and and latch onto someones face/shoulders and then can press another button and hit them and jump off them at the same time

monkey bidness goin on

Yeah I've been pretty pumped to try Diddy since he was announced. Definitely going to be the first character I try.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    BlueBlue wrote: »

I suppose I can try to help move things along. Ahem.

Man, if it wasn't for damn casuals, Sakurai could have made Brawl without wasting his time on these items, assist trophies, and final smashes which are just going to be turned off anyways (the way it ought to be played). Then by December it'd be out of beta and releasing on time. First wavedashing's gone then the delay. They ruin everything.

Shut up you elitist prick, you don't know anything. I can't believe you're trying to tell me how the game is meant to be played and can only be played that way. Damnit, Sakurai is going to make sure that people like you cant turn off smash balls, and I have proof since characters like Wario and Diddy generate items. Hes doing that just so even if you want to turn off items, you cant! HAHA!!

Faustum on
    sigoj3.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Blankspace wrote: »

As opposed to spamming useless crap in a new thread?

There'd be no difference.

Yea but then it'd be in a new thread!

I was but mildly joking but... we reallly need that new thread!

Konata on
  • Options
    MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    BlueBlue wrote: »

I always worry about this kind of thing - it seems like balance is extremely hard to accomplish since popular strategies can be things the developers never even thought of.

True. I think players of both games eventually have a greater understanding of the game than the developers do, but my main point I was trying to make is making rash judgments about the game so early on is silly.

MiserableMirth on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Narian wrote: »

monkey bidness goin on

Yeah I've been pretty pumped to try Diddy since he was announced. Definitely going to be the first character I try.

Yeah. If reports are to be believed, he has excellent aerial game and that forward B sounds hilarious. Here is an excerpt:
    OverB = My fav move in the game so far. Like Champ said, you leap forward, not too far, about 3 of his body lengths distance. If you press attack again before you land/reach an opponent, Diddy sticks out his leg for a sex kick, more or less, which I haven't found to be really useful at all yet, as its knock back is horrid. If you don't press anything, you automatically jump and latch onto your opponent's face (can't be blocked). From there I believe the only thing you can do is press the attack button, twice. Diddy will "hump", as Champ so eloquently put it, his/her grill twice, then kick off springboard-style automatically (no throw input required as was 1st thought), sending your opponent backwards and slightly downwards, but I believe that be influenced by DI. Can be used to recover, acting like Fox/Falco's overB, but not nearly as far. You're also immobile afterwards if used in the air till you hit the ground. One of my 1st matches I was playing against MikeHaze. He knocked me off the edge and went off to edgegaurd me as I was recovering. I overB'd, caught him in midair, raped his face as I was falling, then kick off at the last second, spiking him and then using my upB to make it back. Basically similar to Kirby's swallow kill, but a lot kooler and funnier looking. It caused quite an uproar.

Faustum on
    sigoj3.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I completely missed that, is there a vid of diddy doing that ?

Konata on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Diddy is going to be annoying to fight with that move alone.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Diddy is going to be annoying to fight with that move alone.

It actually sounds a whole lot like captain falcon's over-b, except not blockable on the ground.
    Oh, and, apparently you aren't stunned if you contact.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I completely missed that, is there a vid of diddy doing that ?

There are, but only 2 I can think of and in the first one he misses and in the second one he uses it against an enemy in Subspace Emissary so you know, not exactly the intended effect occurs

Faustum on
    sigoj3.gif
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    so guys, i never got a chance to see the Gamespot preview of SSBB.

I'm watching it now.

:O

I feel like I totally missed out by not watching this. What's all this? Advance wars? Spiky needle traps?

i know I'm totally old news here, but the return of special entrances? and the return of that victory screen? it's just like the first one!

*squee*

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Oh, also apparently Diddy has some of the best throws in the game as well, with a Forward throw that is reported to be the best throw in the game (in terms of knockback) of the characters shown thus far

ALSO, another diddy player says you can actually input a direction while doing the Forward B to specify the direction you want to toss them, but I cannot confirm the accuracy of this statement

regardless, fun as hell

Faustum on
    sigoj3.gif
  • Options
    3_eyed_weasel3_eyed_weasel Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    so guys, i never got a chance to see the Gamespot preview of SSBB.

I'm watching it now.

:O

I feel like I totally missed out by not watching this. What's all this? Advance wars? Spiky needle traps?

i know I'm totally old news here, but the return of special entrances? and the return of that victory screen? it's just like the first one!

*squee*
    That's like the first gameplay video that came out.

3_eyed_weasel on
    samorostsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Yea character intros = best thing ever,

Faustum is that in one of the 'adventure mode' vids ?

Konata on
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Oh, also apparently Diddy has some of the best throws in the game as well, with a Forward throw that is reported to be the best throw in the game (in terms of knockback) of the characters shown thus far

ALSO, another diddy player says you can actually input a direction while doing the Forward B to specify the direction you want to toss them, but I cannot confirm the accuracy of this statement

regardless, fun as hell

Ok now I really want this game so I can get some monkey lovin' on the go.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    interesting...

Series 18 is actually: Hikari shinwa: Parutena no Kagami

Or Myth of Light: The Mirror of Palutena

This means that rather tha 19 being P, Q, R, or S (since we were just looking at Parutena no Kagami), thats its actually including a bit of M, N and O.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Was Kirby playable at E for All? I haven't seen him on anyone's impressions list.

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Yea character intros = best thing ever,

Faustum is that in one of the 'adventure mode' vids ?

Yes, if you look in http://www.gametrailers.com/player/26643.html you can see him use it at 1:22 but I cannot find where he actually hits with it, let me view it again (maybe I was mistaken)

you can atleast see the leap, though

Faustum on
    sigoj3.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Harrier wrote: »
    Was Kirby playable at E for All? I haven't seen him on anyone's impressions list.

No, he was not, speculation is because they haven't worked out the absorbing powers things yet

Faustum on
    sigoj3.gif
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Someone post that quote of someone bitching about losing to Link, please. I need a good laugh. Because it goes to show how seriously people take the tier system, like it's infallible.

I've seen tiers defied. A prime example is the best sc2 player in the world. He was a french player who used nightmare (nightmare had very slow moves, but his pay off (damage) was huge). Also, the kid took an otherwise slow and easily readable character and turned him into something distinct. I think tiers are useful in looking at characters superficially, but you can work with someone who is low tier and really push the bounds of what is expected of them.

Not that I know much about the SC2 metagame, but doesn't that speak more to his skill rather than the quality of the characters that he uses? I would imagine that if he were to apply the same sort of imagination and effort into high tier characters, he could produce even better results.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Kor wrote: »
    interesting...

This means that rather tha 19 being P, Q, R, or S (since we were just looking at Parutena no Kagami), thats its actually including a bit of M, N and O.

If it starts with an H in Japanese, wouldn't that mean that I, J, K, and L are all also possible?

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Was it the 'backflip just over the ground' one wich he does twice in a row ?
    not really sure wich you mean otherwise

Konata on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Was it the 'backflip just over the ground' one wich he does twice in a row ?
    not really sure wich you mean otherwise

Yeah, but it doesnt connect

Faustum on
    sigoj3.gif
  • Options
    The MerchantThe Merchant Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Not that I know much about the SC2 metagame, but doesn't that speak more to his skill rather than the quality of the characters that he uses? I would imagine that if he were to apply the same sort of imagination and effort into high tier characters, he could produce even better results.

i think some people excel at certain characters. just because you're good at a low tier doesn't mean you will be with a high tier. i know a guy that dominates with bowser. he's a terrific smasher, but he can't hold a candle to my sheik with his. also, some lower tier characters have some advantages over high tier, like link vs. marth. nightmare is a BEAST btw

The Merchant on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Kor wrote: »
    interesting...

If it starts with an H in Japanese, wouldn't that mean that I, J, K, and L are all also possible?

No, because just about Myth of Light is Metal Gear and Made in Wario

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????