As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The newer action figures (and other toys) thread (NSF56k)

see317see317 Registered User regular
edited January 2016 in Graphic Violence
After 7 years, the old action figure thread once again hit critical mass and racked up 100 pages of glorious tie-in merchandise for all sorts of nerdery and nerdish IPs, so it's time to start a new one.

For those unfamiliar, here is where we post about toys. Glorious toys.

Toys that we might never, ever remove from their original packaging.
Or that we might.

Because they're toys and it's really your call how you treat them.

I leave you with a bit of my collection that I look at whenever I stop and wonder about where the hell my paycheck goes when I'm not paying attention. Just to remind my self that I have no willpower when it comes to such things.

0ixjzwmgkcot.jpg

Edit
Some online places to get toys (let me know any that I've missed and I'll add then to the list, eventually):
Big Bad Toy Store
Hasbro Toy Store
Make Toys, transformers but without those pesky copyrighted names.
Toywiz

And of course Amazon and eBay.

see317 on

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    That reminds me, I still haven't picked up Horizon Brave yet.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    The colours on this thing are terrible. Which is a shame because I like what they did with the mold. Plus real hands and ankle articulation!

http://news.tfw2005.com/2015/07/09/fan-voted-combiner-victorion-official-images-296663

This looks pretty cool though.

14.jpg[img][/img]

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »
    The colours on this thing are terrible. Which is a shame because I like what they did with the mold. Plus real hands and ankle articulation!

http://news.tfw2005.com/2015/07/09/fan-voted-combiner-victorion-official-images-296663
    Yeah, the mint green/red combo isn't exactly appealing to the eye

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

Someone on TFW did a recolour with blue and red and pink and purple and they both looked heaps better.

I do think the red and teal colours could work, if used with another colour; like more silver or black. As it is now it's they're just too over powering.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    BankruptsteveBankruptsteve Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I've had this on my bookshelf for a few years and let it collect dust. Now it looks pretty amazing. Gross, but amazing.

wowq2hjll9cm.jpg
    39jvqj497ii1.jpg
    4nfg6i8isloj.jpg

Bankruptsteve on
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular

Someone on TFW did a recolour with blue and red and pink and purple and they both looked heaps better.

I do think the red and teal colours could work, if used with another colour; like more silver or black. As it is now it's they're just too over powering.

I'm pretty sure I'm the only person who actually likes those colors.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Schide wrote: »

I'm pretty sure I'm the only person who actually likes those colors.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOHFCuLj2uI

EDIT: Opened my Figma Saber (dress version) from Good Smile Company. It's a good looking figure, that's hindered by a solid dress piece that hinders poseabilty. My figure's left open holding hand doesn't hold Avalon (the sheath) at all, which is a shame but I can live with it.

I'm a little peeved that Good Smile Company overcharged me on the shipping. They charged me 2000 yen while on the parcel it the price listed was 1500. I knew from the start that 2000 yen was a little overboard, because I always check the EMS rates from Japan before purchasing from Japan based stores, but I had assumed that they'd use a large box or add some more cushioning or something. Nope, just standard small box and a bit of paper inside.

So on top of constantly delaying their products, GSC also overcharge on shipping. So looking forward to them overcharging me again when they bill me figma Rin Tohsaka 2.0. Like it's only 500 yen, but it's still annoying.

I guess the moral of the story is don't buy from the GSM store, but I'm weak when it comes to cool looking things, so I'll probably buy from them again if they have a cool exclusive, like say Figma Kill la Kill figures in the powered down clothes.

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    So anyone collect dc collectibles? Got an arrow deathstroke, it was a nice fig, good look and solid all around, so I picked up an arkham origins 3 pack, and it seems to be a nice paint job over total crap. Loose and stuck joints, weird scaling issues (copperhead is supposed to be 5'9, she's taller than the deathstroke in the same package), odd posability issues like deathstrokes boots being round on the bottom so he can't stand, just terrible.

Is this common in the line? I feel now like I've wasted 50 bucks and am weary of buying more even though there are some character figs I would love to have.

• Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Picked up the Titan Devastator a couple days back. Here he is with his older brother.

IMAG0892_zpsftr0dokd.jpg

Also preordered this bad boy:

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/transformers-transformers-optimus-prime-threea-toys-902482/

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    You happy with the new Devastator? I'm very tempted to pick him up.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    3A is making a 1/6 Titan from Destiny, but it looks kinda lame and is $190

In other news, I now own 3 Detolfs and have built one

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Looks like Maketoys is going ahead and will be releasing their IDW inspired Tailgate! Can't wait to get my hands on it!

http://maketoys.jp/products/rear-end/

RiesI8r.jpg?1

8lxP8Qe.jpg?1
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/attachments/transformers-3rd-party-discussion/27530055d1437422875-maketoys-mech-manga-series-rear-end-tailgate-11738057_1577798219149160_823307012987555882_n.jpg

This pic made me buy an over priced RTS Cyclonus and Rodimus Set from ebay, simply for Cyclonus. I should have bought the loose RTS Cyclonus I saw on ebay when I had the chance a couple days ago. So much money wasted.

But the prospect of having a a good looking Cyclonus (after the upgrade is released) was too much to pass on.

What makes this worse though is the fact that I have the classics version of the figures, but that upgrade probably wouldn't blend well due to the colours.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    wonderpug wrote: »
    You happy with the new Devastator? I'm very tempted to pick him up.

100% happy. I don't nitpick, though, so YMMV. He's pretty much perfect to me.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Yeeessss!

bBbXRjM.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1071717196180483.1073741849.408149355870607&type=3

Ok so in the other pics it's more apparent the colours don't match, but it still looks great in my opinion

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Well I just bought TFC Hercules for $150. No boxes or instructions, but still

Here's hoping the seller is legit

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    So, I have a star wars ep 6 black series luke, and his head had a little accident involving some nail polish remover. The body being mostly molded in black was ok but the head had all the factory paint stripped. Wanting to salvage the figure at least a bit I went through my accessories box and came up with this:

ubi6r7i40oom.jpg

Accidental masterpiece?

• Options
    I love headswaps

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    I might make a cape for him if I can find some fabric and paint or swap his hands. The starlord and ant man marvel legends movie heads make really good SWTOR style random sithlord heads. I never liked it on the starlord figure because I thought it looked too small for the body, but luke is a small figure anyway.

• Options
    And now I found someone selling Maketoys Green Giant for $150

I guess I just have to buy it too, right?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    Sweet, SDCC at Hasbrotoyshop was completely painless this year and I actually got the Combiner Hunters and Kreo sets that I wanted.

Those sets and Devastator are still available as of now as well.

• Options
    Why are the first order stormtroopers SDCC exclusive? Does hasbro just hate money or something?

• Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    Why are the first order stormtroopers SDCC exclusive? Does hasbro just hate money or something?

It will be rereleased at some point, in different packaging. You can count on it.

• Options
    NibCrom wrote: »

It will be rereleased at some point, in different packaging. You can count on it.

Ah, that's good, I was worried I woundn't get another stormtrooper to go along with the 5 or so other variations of 6" stormtroopers I have on my desk.

The 6" black series is so weird, you have a bunch of figures that look really great, like japanese 50 dollar figure great, then you have a bunch that look like they were designed by a blind monkey.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    NibCrom wrote: »

Ah, that's good, I was worried I woundn't get another stormtrooper to go along with the 5 or so other variations of 6" stormtroopers I have on my desk.

The 6" black series is so weird, you have a bunch of figures that look really great, like japanese 50 dollar figure great, then you have a bunch that look like they were designed by a blind monkey.

It's really bizarre to see great figures like Bossk or Greedo on the shelf next to the young Obi Wan. It's like they gave him half the paint applications of the other figures, and most of the ones I've seen look cross eyed.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Face painting and eyes are a big problem in general with the series.

Obi wan and slave leia at least were obviously sucky so I didn't waste money.

I was a bit disappointed with the clone variants, they aren't terrible but don't rise to stormtrooper levels of quality. Still bought 3 of them though so can't complain much.

The huge dissapointments for me though were Jedi Luke and Vader, though. Got them both, was really excited, and ended up with a luke that looks like a 12 year old in a leather catsuit and a vader thats just badly designed. Like I think its not bad to use cloth for the cape (dunno why they needed quite so much though, it gets caught under his feet and bunches up badly) but the inner tunic looks terrible, should have been done in soft plastic. His helmet also is just off, the helmet itself is ok, but he has no neck, it looks like he's scrunching up his neck.

Meanwhile luke has the same body size as pilot luke, tie pilot, and bespin luke, but those figures all had baggy clothes and tons of accessories to add visual heft to the figure, jedi luke doesn't so he looks like middle schooler. It doesn't help that his face is smooth and eyes have big bambi irises for some reason. The paint also is way too glossy so his cloth shirt and pants look like leather.

Sorry /rant. I know some like those figures a lot, they just didn't do it for me.

Anyway, Boba Fett, all the Stormtrooper variants, recon trooper, Bossk, Han Solo, etc all look great so I can't really complain too much. Even palpatine looks decent if you fiddle with his cloak some. Win some lose some I guess.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    My overpriced Transformers RTS Rodimus and Cyclonus double pack arrived today.

I had forgotten how bad the classic Rodimus mold is. Arms can only move about so much. Hopefully Hasbro makes a good IDW inspired figure one day.

Cyclonus is still a good figure, witht he only real design nitpick being the lack of bicep swivel. Also his main purple colour is more grey than purple. Still looks good though and will look even better when Maketoys releases their IDW inspired addons.

The pack also came with a shitty comic book, and a diecast matrix which can't be used for anything. Seriously I tried using it with my MP Ultra Magnus and it just doesn't fit.

So overall I paid about 95 AUD for a Cyclonus figure that I'm going to spend even more money for upgrades in the future.

This is really expensive hobby.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    Finally picked up Horizon Brave, discovered that there's yet another Gipsy Danger coming out that I can ignore.

Also discovered I might have missed my chance to get Combiner Wars Blackjack, he seems to have disappeared from stores (including BBTS), and is currently sitting at around 3 times the original retail price on Amazon.

• Options
    Blackjack is great. I'm really enjoying these smaller dudes more than the deluxes recently, since the deluxes are all the same like 4 molds repainted for CW

Recently found Groove in store, he's ok, but his shoulders don't peg into anything which is annoying.

I have Huffer on my desk and he's a lot of fun

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    So, being crazy, I enlisted the help of my wife who has experience making and altering dresses to make a little vest for my black series ep 6 Luke.

Man that was a rabbit hole, took over 2 hours to make something halfway decent looking and had to talk her out of trying again for something "perfect". I'm convinced it would be significantly less trouble to make the same garment for a real human being.

• Options
    grim123grim123 Registered User regular
    Blackjack is great. I'm really enjoying these smaller dudes more than the deluxes recently, since the deluxes are all the same like 4 molds

I'm waiting for the hot rod re-mold of this sculpt.

Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I saw that Hot Rod the other day. I didn't buy it though because I already have Blackjack and that 2-pack deluxe Rodimus and I try to avoid doubling up on a mold and/or character.

In other news, I got SDCC exclusive Marvel Legends Ghost. I'm not familiar with the character but I really liked his clear body with the various details, and he makes a decent pseudo-Psycho Mantis. Pseudo Mantis?

Also I received TFC Hercules and holy shit he's awesome. I know he's not perfect G1 but nostalgia doesn't wholly rule my desires and I dig his look. There's a bit of fiddly-ness and floppiness, but not enough to really bother me, and the fact that the previous owner reprolabled him up and included an add-on kit with alternate head, gun, and other accessories all for a total of $150 means I feel actually guilty, like I stole it.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    So, being crazy, I enlisted the help of my wife who has experience making and altering dresses to make a little vest for my black series ep 6 Luke.

Man that was a rabbit hole, took over 2 hours to make something halfway decent looking and had to talk her out of trying again for something "perfect". I'm convinced it would be significantly less trouble to make the same garment for a real human being.

Yeah, action figure sized clothing is a pain in the ass to sew, not unlike doll clothing in general. I've done some stuff for my 1/6 scale but for half that height would be a real pain-- your wife is rad for giving it a go!

• Options

Yeah, action figure sized clothing is a pain in the ass to sew, not unlike doll clothing in general. I've done some stuff for my 1/6 scale but for half that height would be a real pain-- your wife is rad for giving it a go!

xi520pfwhuqz.jpg

This is what she ended up with -the only real issues are that the seam is a bit uneven on the left, and the right side bunches under the arm- still a great job though and better than vader's tunic and cape from hasbro.

• Options
    Did some digging around today, it looks like Combiner Wars Blackjack only exists for $30.00+ on Ebay and Amazon, but there are rumors that he'll be in another wave soon.

On the other hand, I found Groove in the wild, so I snagged him up quick.

Also finally put in the order for my 18" Cherno Alpha.

• Options
    The distribution of some figures boggles my mind. Like going back to star wars 6", the series has only been out for a couple of years, already darth maul is 120 dollars on ebay while huge stacks of obi wan and slave leia released shortly after still languish on pegs.

• Options
    Damn, I got the final two figures for Unique Toys Ordin (Abominus) and it turns out Siegfried has major ratchet stripping issues that aren't easily fixes, and also need other fixes. Third parties are really bad with ratchet joints on combiners.

• Options
    So I really like some of the Halo figures but the scale is really weird, they say 6", but next to the marvel legends and Star wars 6" guys they look like they are supposed to be warhammer Tau

• Options
    I'm not sure what that means, are Tau small or big? I guess you mean the current McFarlane Halo figs, which are small. I'd be surprised if they're even 6". There's also those Joyride brand older ones, and I think those were bigger.

Scale is a weird thing, because 6" is different than 1/12 scale. If the Spartans were 1/12 scale, then they should be like 7" tall.

Speaking of scale, I just got my 1/6 Jacket figure from Hotline Miami.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    MattitudeMattitude Paste Pot Pete Kicking The BucketRegistered User regular
    I celebrated being back in work by heading over to my nearest toy shop where they had all of Combiner Wars Defensor (including Groove) and Cyclonus.

So I guess I have those now. The first Transformers I've bought in ages. And now I guess I'm about to fall down the collecting hole again. The new Defensor is just... Just the best.

I got this Tumblr and I don't know how to use it.
    Decide on the next line by the rhyme when I choose it.
    Also I put songs on YouTube
    The musings of this lonely rube.

I made a thread once. It didn't end well for me.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    I'm not sure what that means, are Tau small or big? I guess you mean the current McFarlane Halo figs, which are small. I'd be surprised if they're even 6". There's also those Joyride brand older ones, and I think those were bigger.

Scale is a weird thing, because 6" is different than 1/12 scale. If the Spartans were 1/12 scale, then they should be like 7" tall.

Speaking of scale, I just got my 1/6 Jacket figure from Hotline Miami.

Tau are small, 4 ft or so, and wear power armor (though a somewhat different style.)

I have about 3 scales going that are annoyingly close but not close enough to not be weird.

Legends scale (6 inchish) - vast majority of my guys, marvel legends, star wars 6", funko legacy (got). Bandai star wars kits work here too, sh figurearts do so far but I only have a stormtrooper.

Slightly too big scale (7inchish)- marvel select thanos, some dc collectibles, and neca predators are the figs I have that seem here, just slightly too big to really fit.

Slightly too small scale (5inchish)- halo mcfarlane, assasin's creed, bandai halo kits.

Random scale - stuff like pac rim and bandai gundam kits that sort of fit in with one of the above scales until you consider what they represent. Sometimes in my mind I just retcon them into star wars droids.

I would skip the smaller toys but the halo and assassins creed figures are just too damn good.

Edit: moved dc collectibles to large scale after looking back in comparison. Also, just kind of noticed that mcfarlane walking dead figures are kind ofin scale with mcfarlane halo spartans if you assume spartans are taller than normal and in the 7ft range, while mcfarlane assassins creed figures are in scale if you consider spartans to be normal size human beings, so I guess assassins creed just takes place in a universe where everyone is freakishly tall?

Jealous Deva on
This discussion has been closed.