As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[steam] thread: Abandon all game completion, ye who backlog here.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Whoa whoa whoa. What is this contradiction? Is this a new FMV game that I actually didn't know about?

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Where were you people when I was giving it away?

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Whoa whoa whoa. What is this contradiction? Is this a new FMV game that I actually didn't know about?

Well it isn't now.

But yes, it was a FMV game that you didn't know about.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Where were you people when I was giving it away?

In the middle of shenanigans is my best guess.

• Options
    I need some kind of alert system on steam to notify me every time an FMV game hits the store.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular

It's an Ipad game that just got ported to PC. It was pretty unknown on mobile but it's been making waves since the PC version hit and people like Giant Bomb have been playing it.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Soooo I'm not giving GMG any business anymore. The VIP page had a bad redirect which led to me to purchase a GOG key instead of Steam. Their support being tremendous asshats refuse to exchange or give me credit. I tried being nice, but now I'm going to dispute via my credit card. In turn they replied, "well since you want to dispute with your card we'll suspend your account and depending on the outcome of the dispute your account may remain permanently suspended."

Sad they are willing to lose a customer who has spent hundreds of dollars, maybe more.

That's a shame. GMG was crushing it for a while, but seems to be struggling a bit lately. They've certainly rubbed some customers the wrong way in the last year with delayed pre-order keys.

GMG annoys me simply because they always have the same prices as other sites but you have to use a coupon code to get it. It's like "GameX only $6.25" but then they throw a 20% coupon code at you to bring it to $4.99 like other sites already had priced it previously. If you want to sell a game for $5, just do that, don't pretend that your VIP or coupons are special.

Except when they don't. There's a bunch of times I've gotten [sometimes significantly] better prices than other places because of coupon codes they email me. Especially on new release/preorder stuff. :) (granted, some issues folks have had with preorder keys make me hesitant to do that now, but it has, in fairness, never been an issue for me personally)

Typically I like GMG, they do occasionally have the best deals but I just can't believe how awful this guy's response has been. I mean I contacted them within minutes, and normally I'd suck it up and just eat my loss, but it seems they are going out of their way to be needlessly rude and pedantic for the sake of. Over the years I have made great strides to be nice to customer service reps because it can be a really shitty job where people just abuse you all day, but when I come in politely and ask for any help and your response is fuck off, too bad... I'm not going to pull punches.

What game was it, ""cardboard delusions"? Was this maybe part of the Witcher 3 non-sense?

Indeed it is Witcher 3, best part is - it wasn't even for me haha! I already have a copy.

I'm not going to defend GMG in this case because it sounds like the rep was being a complete asshat, but I suspect part of the issue might be that I don't think GMG is an official seller of GOG keys for The Witcher 3. There was some dubious (though very possibly legitimate) origins for the GOG keys GMG were selling. The only thing we can confirm is that the keys did not come directly from GOG or CDPR directly. GMG may have bought them from another retailer but GOG and GMG were not getting along when W3 was released so if GMG refunded the key, they might be forced to eat the cost of the key because GOG might not be willing to confirm if it was used or not and it would look bad on GMG to sell a possibly used key (which I think they have done before and it did indeed look bad)

The initial key they gave me for Lords of the Fallen had been used already. They pretty quickly gave me a new one that worked but yeah, that's pretty high on the list of things that aren't ok for an online retailer.

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    I need some kind of alert system on steam to notify me every time an FMV game hits the store.

@Pixelated Pixie
    @Big Classy
    @destroyah87

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    I can't help it they're my weeeeeeaknessssss

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I uh... I don't know what FMV stands for...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular

Full Motion Video, its like Night Trap or Sewer Shark.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    Or another new one on Steam I haven't gotten around to playing yet.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/354650/
    header.jpg?t=1434056888

• Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    Humble Weekly Bundle Simulator 4
    Pay at least $1 for:
    • Out of the Park Baseball 15
    • Kill the Bad Guy
    • Real Boxing
    Pay at least $6 for:
    • Emergency 2014
    • Gnomoria (Early Access)
    Pay at least $10 for:
    • Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition

I picked this up for Real Boxing because it's cheaper than fixing my ps3 and buying Fight Night, it's a poor mans imitation but so far I'm having fun

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    I can't help it they're my weeeeeeaknessssss

I'll just leave this here. I really enjoy poking into this one every now and then. The whole social aspect of it is pretty neat. It's kind of an FMV ARG-lite.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »

Yesterday was the first I had heard of Sewer Shark. Odd that you would bring it up today. There's a word/phrase for this, but I can't recall.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    HiT BiT wrote: »
    Humble Weekly Bundle Simulator 4
    Pay at least $1 for:
    • Out of the Park Baseball 15
    • Kill the Bad Guy
    • Real Boxing
    Pay at least $6 for:
    • Emergency 2014
    • Gnomoria (Early Access)
    Pay at least $10 for:
    • Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition

Ooooh, OotPB for $1? I've been meaning to check it out for a while (only real baseball game on PC since MVP Baseball 2005), so I got no excuse now.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    CorriganX wrote: »

Yesterday was the first I had heard of Sewer Shark. Odd that you would bring it up today. There's a word/phrase for this, but I can't recall.

The Baader-Meinhof Phenomenon.

(Now get ready to see that phrase everywhere)

minor incident on
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    header.jpg?t=1434056888

Would you say you were missing it?

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    Nah, I know right where it is. Well, roughly. It's in the pile of games that is the backlog. I suppose it could have tunneled out.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    I enjoyed it but some found it annoying! :p

It's an excellent example of why I hate 99% of Youtubers. You can literally click to any point at random in that video and the person will be talking. Just shut the fuck up for like ten seconds and let me take in the game you are playing.

Well... yeah? It's their job to keep talking? You can't let silence hang on too long in videos, it's just like radio silence. I spend most of my time with these videos running in the background, as I think most people do, so youtubers know they have to keep going to keep things interesting. If you're just looking for raw gameplay, of course you're not going to find it on a personality-based youtuber (ie, someone who is watched for themselves rather than the games they're playing).

There isn't silence going on, there's game audio. You might be thinking of "dead air", which is literal silence (and a cardinal sin) in the radio world, but this is completely different from stopping an awful running commentary to give the listener a break from the awful voice and awful jokes.

Also, why would you have a video of Just Cause 3 running in the background? The core attraction of the game is carnage, you can't exactly demonstrate an awesome explosion without seeing it firsthand.
    Hmm, I suppose this means I should finish Tomb Raider 2013 one of these days.

Tomb Raider isn't a terribly good Tomb Raider game, but man it is still one of the best action games ever made. It's got a solid blend of exploration, killing dudes, and mysticism that are hallmarks of the Laura Croft/Nathan Drake/Indiana Jones "adventure" genre, it's gorgeous but optimized rather well so it runs great on older machines, and you can shoot people in the face with a bow.

Also it's fun seeing Lara's attitude go from "omg omg please don't kill meeeeee abloo bloo bloo" to "I will cave your face in with a rock, eat your tongue, and bathe in your blood" over the course of the game.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

One of my guilty pleasures, as well. Ah, sometimes I miss the 90's.

MISSING makes me think of Missing: Since January. Man that game was cool and ahead of it's time.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    header.jpg?t=1434056888

Can I say how much I love how FMV games are now a thing again?

Because I love it.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Big Classy wrote: »
    I enjoyed it but some found it annoying! :p

It's an excellent example of why I hate 99% of Youtubers. You can literally click to any point at random in that video and the person will be talking. Just shut the fuck up for like ten seconds and let me take in the game you are playing.

Well... yeah? It's their job to keep talking? You can't let silence hang on too long in videos, it's just like radio silence. I spend most of my time with these videos running in the background, as I think most people do, so youtubers know they have to keep going to keep things interesting. If you're just looking for raw gameplay, of course you're not going to find it on a personality-based youtuber (ie, someone who is watched for themselves rather than the games they're playing).

There isn't silence going on, there's game audio. You might be thinking of "dead air", which is literal silence (and a cardinal sin) in the radio world, but this is completely different from stopping an awful running commentary to give the listener a break from the awful voice and awful jokes.

Also, why would you have a video of Just Cause 3 running in the background? The core attraction of the game is carnage, you can't exactly demonstrate an awesome explosion without seeing it firsthand.

I don't have a Just Cause 3 video running in the background; I have a Nerdcubed video running in the background, and he happens to be playing Just Cause 3.

Get the difference?

Edit: Disclaimer, I also haven't seen this video yet. I probably will watch it straight up to see the explosions and whatnot, but a lot of games you don't really need to be watching it to get what's going on.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Aw man, now that my love of FMVs is public knowledge, I'm apparently a target. Thanks to @Sumanai for Realm of the Haunting and @Pixelated Pixie for Missing! You guys have filled my coming weeks with awesome live action craziness.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Edit: Disclaimer, I also haven't seen this video yet. I probably will watch it straight up to see the explosions and whatnot, but a lot of games you don't really need to be watching it to get what's going on.

oh sweet jesus just stop
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Can I saw how much I love how FMV games are now a thing again?

Because I love it.

It's kinda weird to me. I understand why FMV games saw a huge popularity spike when they were new, because you were dealing with this crazy new technology where you could hold (at the time) a massive 650mb of data on a single disc, so you had all of this room available to fill with whatever you wanted, and a new game genre took form to take advantage of that. There was this huge "multimedia" craze when CD-ROMs were new, and video was a new component that previous games didn't really have in any large measure.

We've been cruising through a bit of a retro renaissance for the past few years, mainly in the form of 2D platformers and isometric CRPGs (but also in the form of game development in general - modern indie devs tend to be small teams working from home or a small office, which mirrors a lot of the development environments of the early 90s when companies like id were making games in a rented apartment or Lord British was just a dude in a garage), so seeing FMV as the next genre to be co-opted by modern game developers is a trip.

Clearly the next genre to return to gamers will be the Myst clone.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    And now we have Transcendence arriving on Steam. This rogue-lite takes asteroids, combines that with Elite and turns you loose in a procedurally generated world. I've been playing the free version (still available here) on and off for a few years now. I had actually just dropped in on the site not long ago and saw he had some content up for sale. And now here it is on Steam, yay! This is a really excellent game, so at least check out the free version and then you can decide if you want to go in and support the development of the game with a purchase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOCMW9yUSm0

Drake on
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Clearly the next genre to return to gamers will be the Myst clone.

I AM OKAY WITH THIS

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I mean, isn't that like Ethan Carter and all those obtuse first person puzzle games?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    So way of the samurai 4 is really good, guys.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    dr pigletdr piglet Registered User regular
    Can I promote games that already have threads devoted to them? Cuz that's happening.

If you haven't bought Rocket League yet, what the hell? Buy it.

It's got flow. Ya know when you're playing Unreal Tournament, the original one, and it's just so simple and clear-cut, no foliage or fancy water, and you just get into this simple state of zen and bloodlust where your mind can just wander while you're simultaneously totally engrossed in the game? This game has that. It's like taking a nap while playing a video game at the same time.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I'm one of those people who bought Night Trap when it came out and loved it. I don't know if I even recognized that it was basically a cheesy B-movie back then. But I did painstakingly jot down every incidence of when a vampire snows up in whichever room and, eventually, used that to beat the game. Eventually I got tired of FMV games, though. It became painfully obvious how limited they were in terms of gameplay. I've played a few games that made great use of FMV since then (Twisted Pixel Games, I am looking at you), but haven't checked out these recent ones that really make it the centerpiece.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    So apparently @cardboard delusions approves of throwing things at small animals as well. @Spoit may want to keep this in mind.

s2dLSyn.png

Thanks for Caves of Qud!

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Why is the new Trackmania game 60 freaking dollars? All the Trackmania 2 games were around the $15-25 mark and suddenly it's more than double the price. It's going on the wishlist sure, but it's chilling out there for a long damn time until it can prove itself to be more than twice as fun as Canyon (which is still great fun to play several years down the track)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Why is the new Trackmania game 60 freaking dollars? All the Trackmania 2 games were around the $15-25 mark and suddenly it's more than double the price. It's going on the wishlist sure, but it's chilling out there for a long damn time until it can prove itself to be more than twice as fun as Canyon (which is still great fun to play several years down the track)

TM: Turbo is 39.99 for me. Maybe I'm getting a loyalty discount or something for having all the other TM games on Steam but it doesn't say anything like that.

And it's four environments in one game which will bring back the mixed servers we used to see for TM Nations Forever. As much as I love TM2, Nadeo made a serious mistake with Maniaplanet dividing all the modules up into separate modes that can't mix on the same server. People got used to that with Nations Forever. So the increase in price probably goes along with a huge amount of content. And ditching Maniaplanet appears to be a mixed blessing as it's picking up a case of Uplay instead.

• Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    TeeMan wrote: »

More often than not the answer to that question is: Australia! :s
    Like Drake mentioned, it's 35/40 eurobucks/dollars everywhere else.

Sumanai on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BeryllineBerylline One Tiara to rule them all Registered User regular
  • Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    So I know absolutely nothing about Way of the Samurai, and a lot of the screenshots for it make it look like is a pretty gross and pervy game. But then I see people comparing it to Alpha Protocol in story choices and replayability, and Metal Gear in terms of playstyle choices, and I'm tempted to just jump in and get it without any further research.

And why the hell does Pagan Min appear to be one of the main characters?
    ss_e588fca8fe0be8bff152dae6bc23d8c4d89e61c1.jpg?t=1437685240

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    The Way of the Samraui games are well, Samurai simulators. Four just cranks up the sillyness of it. Three is probably the best in regards to playing classic Samurai films with seriousness in tone.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Yeah. it's gone some unfortunate stuff, but turns out all the kinda gross stuff is waaaay hidden. You can play the game until your controller crumbles to dust and not see that stuff unless you're really going for unlockables.

Outside of that, yeah. you can make choices in your playthrough, and they can change the world state a bit, and influence your ending. There are a ton of choices. I have no idea how nuanced they get though.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Hahaha I got a free tv! I can Steam again!

...just gonna update these 35 games real quick :/

This discussion has been closed.