As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MTG] Origins Spoilers! Elf Tribal! Goblin Piledriver! Demonic "Vorthos All Star" Pact!

• KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    Almost everyone at my store is playing some variation of green ramp into big creatures, all arguing over whether abzan or GR are the best ways to go

Yes, my pretties. Every last one of you go with a big creature strategy. I have a surprise for you all.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Knob wrote: »
    Almost everyone at my store is playing some variation of green ramp into big creatures, all arguing over whether abzan or GR are the best ways to go

Yes, my pretties. Every last one of you go with a big creature strategy. I have a surprise for you all.

Is it Fog? It should be Fog.

Also re: this Fog deck, why is it none of them are using flip Jace? He seems like a perfectly viable option for games 2-3 after they've boarded out all their removal.

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    He'd flip almost immediately and i don't think he's super useful after he flips for fog.

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    He'd flip almost immediately and i don't think he's super useful after he flips for fog.

This!

Basically you are binning a TON of cards off Monastary Sieges. Like millions.

He'll often loot ONCE. Maybe twice. Then flip. And his flipped form is useless. The + is irrelevant since you are fogging anyway (and note half your fogs don't protect Walkers, so he'll die immediately). The - does nothing since flashing back Fogs is pointless. The ultimate is great, but a) you'll never get there because half your fogs don't protect him and b) if your at the point where you can Ult him, you've probably already won.

Edit: and what are you cutting for him?

Against creature decks: Certainly not fogs (and I'm counting Spouts and Undoing as fogs since they basically are). Certainly not Engine pieces (Siege, Tutelage, insight). Cruise is better card draw...

And that's the whole deck.

Against control? Maybe some fogs leave. Certainly Spouts. But there are probably better cards to bring in against control. Negate for example.

APODionysus on
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Really the thing holding back Turbo Fog is how shitty the Fogs are right now in Standard.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    actually based on recent tournaments i feel confident saying what's keeping back turbofog is 5-colour Rally

liEt3nH.png
    actually based on recent tournaments i feel confident saying what's keeping back turbofog is 5-colour Rally

Rally the Garycestors is still a deck I want to try, even though I know it is bad and I should feel bad.

Radius wrote: »
    Really the thing holding back Turbo Fog is how shitty the Fogs are right now in Standard.

Yeah. If there was one more good <=CMC 2 fog, the deck would be nuts.

The good news is the deck is surprisingly resistant to rotation. It loses Insight and a Fog. We can assume the Fog probably gets replaced in BFZ (there's almost always a fog). So if they give us one other good piece it could really elevate the deck.

Like, oh say, Hedron crab

• KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited July 2015
    I really don't see them reprinting landfall cards in a format with fetches

Kilroy on
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Rally the Garycestors is still a deck I want to try, even though I know it is bad and I should feel bad.

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=87858

i mean if you look at the deck there's the implication that what let a rally deck be competitive was not being addicted to the notion of redoing ETB effects like siege rhino and gary

liEt3nH.png
    edited July 2015

What? Did they play each other? Cause that matchup seems GREAT for Turbofog.

Deck wins by attacking. You just fog.

And it mills itself A TON.

I guess it can kill you before your set up to protect yourself (you really do need to be able to tap out once or twice early to get Siege/Tutelage down)

APODionysus on
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2015
    Kilroy wrote: »

But zendikar was a format with fetches and landfall

edit unless you mean you think wotc will have decided landfall and fetches was too strong and won't do it again

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg

isn't that like

the only format they'd print landfall in

liEt3nH.png
    They also have that thing about meeting expectations. What do people think of, gameplay wise, when they think of Zendikar?

Eldrazi. Landfall

without the ability to play a land at instant speed, landfall becomes a much less interesting mechanic

liEt3nH.png

isn't that like

the only format they'd print landfall in

there will always be an evolving wilds/terramorphic expanse

They also have that thing about meeting expectations. What do people think of, gameplay wise, when they think of Zendikar?

Traps. Quests.

RTR didn't have all the same mechanics as og ravnica, so I don't think they necessarily want these revisits to play exactly the same

I admit that it's entirely possible that I'm way off base here and am blinded by how boring I think landfall is compared to all the other zendikar mechanics

ravnica didn't play the same but it played SIMILAR and they went for a thing where the old mechanic for a guild played nicely with the new mechanic for that same guild

i think we'll absolutely have landfall in bfz block, there'll be eldrazi with a new mechanic, and then there are allies that got confirmed already, i guess? so i don't know what else they'll be doing that goes along with all that

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Personally I hope they cut the most boring thing about Zendikar: Eldrazi

2x39jD4.jpg
    I admit that it's entirely possible that I'm way off base here and am blinded by how boring I think landfall is compared to all the other zendikar mechanics

Brother.

Honestly landfall probably won't be back

And if it is, they won't reprint Hedron Crab

Why? Cause WOTC hates my dreams.

Kwoaru wrote: »
    Personally I hope they cut the most boring thing about Zendikar: Eldrazi

A stunning last minute change of direction, as they cut the most boring thing about Zendikar: Zendikar itself.

Mercadian Masques 2, Coming October 2nd 2015

Hardon Crab

Heh

Heh heh

maybe they don't do landfall and instead do another land-centric mechanic

but i have no idea what that would be

RETRACE!

Watch WOTC troll everyone:

BFZ: no fetches. No landfall. No eldrazi (the art was all a lie!). No full art lands.

Raven's Crime reprint.

No one is happy ever again.

Knob wrote: »
    RETRACE!

mmmmmaybe

they've said that they're not big fans of repetitive gameplay, though

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    The most important thing I know about landfall is to never play Collective Voyage when someone else has Ob Nixilis out.

(I was a bystander on this but gleefully contributed mana, I was going to lose anyway).

eldrazi will be a special prerelease-only event

i mean if you look at the deck there's the implication that what let a rally deck be competitive was not being addicted to the notion of redoing ETB effects like siege rhino and gary

But without Gary that deck can't even beat turbofog so why would I play it.

Also @Knob retrace is a pretty good mechanic to come back to for a ravaged Zendikar. I'd love to see it.

manlands

manlands aren't a mechanic!

Landorus, the first Magic/Pokemon crossover.

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    ORI hits modo today.

You know what else happens tonight? My girlfriends cousin arrives to stay with us for a week.

Which means no ORI drafting for me for a week. GRRRRR TIMING.

You can't teach your girlfriend's cousin the joys of drafting?

manlands

Those aren't a mechanic though. You can't really print many, and certainly not out of Rare.

We may get them. But if they want Lands Matter as a theme again, they don't help. Remeber: if your theme isn't at common, it's not your theme

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

But without Gary that deck can't even beat turbofog so why would I play it.

Also @Knob retrace is a pretty good mechanic to come back to for a ravaged Zendikar. I'd love to see it.
    Beats Turbofog about as well as your average midrange deck packing enchantment hate in the side.

I'm not sure why that's a big consideration though.

Quire.jpg
    it was a joke about how much I want to sleeve up my celestial colonnades again

This discussion has been closed.